95 Water Street
Saint John's, NF A1C1A5Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.raymondsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7095795800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Raymonds
Living in Newfoundland and Labrador, we’re blessed in having access to some of the best seafood, meat, and produce in the world. Having such a bountiful larder right on our doorsteps means we’re able to adopt a truly sustainable approach to fine dining – sourcing locally-grown ingredients and getting to know independent purveyors. We've made every effort to make dining at Raymonds a unique and rare treat. Visit us at 95 Water Street in the heart of downtown St. John’s. Our dinner menu, prepared by head chef Jeremy Charles, is inspired by rustic Atlantic Canadian cuisine. It features authentic dishes that take advantage of Newfoundland and Labrador’s rich variety of seafood, wild game, berries and vegetables, while also exploring innovative, 'haute cuisine' ingredient combinations and finishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Raymonds - Best Restaurants in St. John's ›
Raymonds reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (135)notable wine list (111)fit for foodies (110)romantic (98)scenic view (60)good for groups (31)hot spot (25)neighborhood gem (15)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Raymonds was a treatvirtualgrannieDined on 10/18/2014We were given a gift certificate to Raymonds for our wedding by my aunt. We were very excited as we had been there once before and the food was excellent. We weren't disappointed the second time around, it was a wonderful experience. The food was terrific, as was the service. The only reason I have given it four stars out of five is because five stars represent perfection and that is an elusive and slippery state! We had a wonderful evening and will recommend this restaurant to anyone who will listen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A savory treat for the tastebudshappy2eatDined on 10/18/2014The attention to detail and the exquisite food makes it easy to see why Raymonds is one of the top restaurants in Canada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlanGoodDined on 10/15/2014Disappointed there was a long gap of about 30 minutes after appetizers with absolutely no service. Eventually managed to flag down server but would have enjoyed another glass of wine while speaking with my guest without not have to keep my eyes open for some service.Special Features:
- BrilliantFoodieDined on 10/14/2014This was by far the best meal and service I've had at a restaurant.Special Features:
- WOW!dennyDined on 10/14/2014We really thought it was one of the best experiences at a restaurant we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. John's gemmettlemetalDined on 10/14/2014Fantastic experience. Service was top notch. The food was imaginative but stayed true to Newfoundland's heart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Outstanding! The food was delicious...the wines we're fittingly matched with each course. Highly recommend this as the Finest of fine dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PleasureYumOnaPlateDined on 10/11/2014This was our 2nd dining experience at Raymonds; again they did not disappoint. Very accommodating to food preferences, provided amazing spread, every item was made up of more pieces they you would have imagined. Every bite was a taste bud adventure. Service was excellent; not overbearing or hovering but there always when you needed it. I see this as a one or two times a year place as prices are high, but no complaints about what you receive for what you pay. Ordered the 7-course tasting menu. Delicious and definitely worth it. Opted for a la carte pairing of wines rather than the full wine paring. Worked for us and likely a better price point. Depends on your affinity for the grape. Looking forward to our next visit! Great job!Special Features:
- Raymonds deserves the hypesbbbDined on 10/9/2014Raymonds deserves all the praise it has recently received. One of Canada's finest restaurants.Special Features:
- No luxury for restricted dietsFoodTouristaDined on 10/9/2014Two diners in party - one w/o restrictions, and myself. I have Chron's Disease, and have trouble digesting animal and myco (mushroom) proteins. When we made our reservations a month in advance, I described this to the restaurant as a vegan diet with fungus allergy, the easiest way to explain my restrictions. With so much advance notice at a restaurant with Raymond's reputation, the meal should have been outstanding. Instead, I got "vegan charcuterie" (a plate of pickles) for the same price as real charcuterie, and a small variety of bland cooked vegetables. This was far from a last minute request. Raymond's offering spanks of a kitchen heavily dependent on fine ingredients with zero creativity behind them. Find your luxury elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night outOprimeDined on 10/8/2014We had the 7 course meal with wine tasting. All courses were delicious and each accompanying wine was expertly chosen. The explanations of each dish and each wine was thorough.Special Features:
- Best restaurant ever!CookiemonsterDined on 10/3/2014Been to Raymond's several times and it just seems to keep getting better. Been to all the "fancy" restaurants in the city and there is absolutely no comparison. The food is remarkable, and service second to none. If you haven't tried Raymond's yet, it's your loss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rare experienceTallischolarDined on 10/3/2014We read the Globe's hailing of Raymond's as Canada's best. The food was a marvel, the wine pairings revealing and the staff engaging and knowledgable. The prices are punishing for many, although not the lawyerly/sleveen crowd. Or for the couple we talked to who had flown up from New York to eat there. They loved it too, and unexpectedly didn't mind saying so, having been "life-alteringly affected", as one said, by how friendly and helpful were the livyers. The New Newfoundland economy, with income inequality reminiscent of Water Street Merchants times, can support $600+ dinners for two. It makes for a treat if you can save up for it. And given the emphasis on local ingredients, just view it as a matter of income redistribution.Special Features:
- Raymond'sWhitbyDined on 10/3/2014The food was exceptionally tasty and delicious. The waiter we had didn't smile once, wasn't very friendly at all. The noise level in the restaurant was very high. Restaurant beautifully decorated. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest in St. John'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014On our first evening in St. John's, we dined at Raymond's. The food is incredible - much of it locally sourced. Fresh. Delicious. Unique! Elegant atmosphere - perfect for a special occasion or fine dining experience.Special Features:
- AmazingIncredibleDined on 9/30/2014Raymond's really lives up to its recent commendations; I believe this is truly the best dining experience in all of Canada. The food was incredibly detailed, cooked perfectly and was brought to our table with near perfect timing. The service was top notch, our server was knowledgable, polite and courteous. The atmosphere/interior of the restaurant was exquisite, cozy and inviting, attention was paid to ambient lighting with subtle music, further enhancing the experience. For special occaisions, I would highly recommend Raymond's.Special Features:
- 69FoodieDined on 9/30/2014Great food and ambiance along with helpful and courteous staff. Read about the restaurant and wonderful chef in the Globe and Mail and we specifically decided to try it out while on vacation in the Atlantic provinces. The article and our experience were completely in sync.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dolizDined on 9/30/2014We really enjoyed our Raymond's experience. From the moment we walked through the front door to the time we departed, friendly and conscientious service, awesome food, appropriate portions and wonderful atmosphere. We did not opt for the tasting menu, but we would recommend for someone wishing to sample more menu and off menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Canada? Yes!Theu999Dined on 9/20/2014My expectations for this restaurant were very high since I had heard it was the best restaurant in Canada. While you do pay for what you get, the freshness and the quality of the food is impeccable. They serve somewhat traditional french fare without any extravagance, but it is superbly done with every detail covered. The server and the somelière were very pleasant and very helpful. The only criticism I would have would be the greating. It was a little awkward. That being said, I did get there well before my reservation expecting to take a seat at the bar for a cocktail before my meal, but all the seats were taken. Overall a wonderful experience. I recommend this restaurant to anyone with deep enough pockets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnCDined on 9/20/2014We dined on a Saturday night and the place was hopping. The food, especially starters and mains, was exceptional. The wine list was huge and Jeremy did a great job of suggesting wine pairings. The service was polished and friendly - no attitude! The noise level was very loud but otherwise it was an outstanding evening. Would love to return and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disapointing experienceluvtodinebutnotatRaymondsDined on 9/18/2014We had expected a rating of number one in Canada to provide a premier dining experience. While the presentation was beautiful the oysters were disappointing as they were very small. My rib eye (aged for 45 days) was served almost blue while I had ordered medium/rare and was extremely gristly. Our server was brusque to the point of rudeness. I have dined in many five star restaurants and do not mind paying the kind of prices that Raymond's charges but I do expect that I will receive value in kind. The answer to question 2 above is that from our experience I will recommend that anyone traveling to St. John's avoid Raymond's
- An experience.NotafoodieDined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed the 5 course meal, in that we could sit back and be surprised by what the chef chose to make us. The first course was brought to us on a plate that was a log. It looked fantastic. I took a picture! The food was special in that it was a variety of food we wouldn't have been able to try ordering an entree. I was slightly disappointed when I ordered the wine pairing for $65. I was served less than a 1/4 glass with each course and when I didn't like one and asked for it to be replaced with an alternative wine, it wasn't replaced or commented on. I understand it is a 'fancy' place, but for a $400 meal I expect above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingoctavioDined on 9/17/2014Easily the best restaurant in the province. We savored each bite to appreciate the incredible & subtle flavors of every dish. We highly recommend the wine pairings chosen by the sommelier, each glass really did go together very well with the food and was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience EverSupermanDined on 9/16/2014The food was exceptional, the service impeccable, the atmosphere warm and inviting and I felt I was in a special place. I wish I could eat here everyday. Looking forward to my next visit to St John for another enjoyable and satisfying dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't WaitSLDJDined on 9/12/2014We were coming to St. John's for a vacation and heard about Raymond's before we left. Our daughter said you need to go there and booked it for us before we left. It was so wonderful; the service was top notch and the food was so tasty. We choice not to do wine pairing which was fine. We did find if you wanted to have just a glass of wine it was pricey in our mind. Not a lot of choices of salads. All in all a great choice and would highly recommend Raymond's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality but waaay overpriced!!DiningproDined on 9/11/2014Everything we ate was really delicious, but everything is also priced so far out of reach that most can only eat there on special occasions, and even then feel they've been ripped off. For example I ordered a seared scallop appetizer for $23... While the appy was delicious, there were only two scallops on the plate! So Raymond's, while it is great to receive awards and national recognition, please, why the $$$$$$?Special Features:
- Perfect as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014It was simply perfect - the food, the wine, the service - every single aspect was wonderful!Special Features:
- Raymonds worthy of being No. 1orangedaneDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I celebrated a very special occasion at Raymonds. The ambiance, the food, the service, and the wine list lived up to expectations. We both had the moose meat special. It was superb. My husband who loves seafood chowder raved about the Raymonds' version in a tomato base broth. The desert, double chocolate tart, was worth the calories. The service was friendly and professional. The sommelier was very helpful. Although most of the wines would make a dent in your bank account you can select more affordable options. All in all it was an outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Before I leftImpressedDined on 9/3/2014Was really hoping to get a chance to try out such a noted restaurant before leaving St. John's. To my happy surprise a reservation for the 5 course tasting with a wine a pairing was made for myself and a friend! I loved the experience- how the food and wine details were explained to me in a pleasant and not "stuffy" way and the attention to visual detail. Great job Raymonds!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsarmchairgourmetDined on 8/30/2014More often then not when I read a restaurant review by the snob critics the restaurant is usually disappointing. Not the case with Raymond's. Fantastic food, knowledgeable staff wonderful wine list. My wife and I did the 7 course tasting with wine pairings. Food was superb. Our waiter was engaging and well versed. This place is not cheap...but neither are great seats at a boadway show! In all exceeded my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded already high expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Very memorable dinner. Definitely lived up to the hype. Service was excellent and our meals were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience050937k2Dined on 8/22/2014Raymonds was an awesome dining experience. As someone who is gluten free I found the staff to be overly accommodating, and I was served mostly the same as everyone else. Substitutions were made if an item was not gluten free. The food and presentation was second to none :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mooseDined on 8/20/2014mine and my wife's favorite place to eat! May add another meat choice for appetizer and main courde!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class diningFoodDudeDined on 8/19/2014I've heard about this restaurant on my trip and people claimed that it's better then any restaurant in Canada. I've visit some high end restaurants in the world from Nobu to Wolfgang puck to Joey Robuchon. This definetly holds it's ground. Probable the best tasting menu I can recall. I'm matching this up against Michilin star restaurants for service, selection of wines and amazing presentation and bites. Hard to pin down a favourite on the 7 course tasting menu. Cod tounge, scallop or the mushroom pasta are all equally impressive with the wine pairings really bringing out the flavour. For the foodie or business man that really want to impress, this is a must when visiting St. John's.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantfoodaholicDined on 8/19/2014Great food, stellar service! Very expensive, but worth the splurge. A wonderful fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Fine dining at it's best!ringramDined on 8/16/2014Amazing food and service worth the splurge! Would highly recommend! The staff are great,knowledgeable, smooth service without being stuffy! The food was delicious, presentation was tot notch as well. The sommeliers were amazing as well. Furthermore the staff worked as a team! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CarolynDined on 8/13/2014The food and service at Raymond's is outstanding. We enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing option, incredible! It's not hard to see why this is one of Canada's best! The atmosphere was great, it was surprisingly relaxing and the staff were so knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Absolutely deliciousyummyfindsDined on 8/12/2014We had a fabulous time at Raymonds! The five course meal was to die for, the wine list was extensive and our waitress was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. At the end of the night chef Jeremy came and greeted us. I appreciate that he uses as many local ingredients as possible. Overall a lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceIheartfoodDined on 8/9/2014Took my mom there as a surprise to celebrate her 60th Birthday. We were a party of 4 and had an amzing experience. The food, wine and service was all perfect! Great place to celebrate any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed another wonderful dining experience At Raymonds. Each year we dine there as the cuisine and service are always consistent. It is a treat to see the changes in the menus. Many of the choices are prepared from local foods. We look forward to dining there when we return to St. Johns next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.