95 Water Street
Saint John's, NF A1C1A5Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.raymondsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7095795800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Raymonds
Living in Newfoundland and Labrador, we’re blessed in having access to some of the best seafood, meat, and produce in the world. Having such a bountiful larder right on our doorsteps means we’re able to adopt a truly sustainable approach to fine dining – sourcing locally-grown ingredients and getting to know independent purveyors. We've made every effort to make dining at Raymonds a unique and rare treat. Visit us at 95 Water Street in the heart of downtown St. John’s. Our dinner menu, prepared by head chef Jeremy Charles, is inspired by rustic Atlantic Canadian cuisine. It features authentic dishes that take advantage of Newfoundland and Labrador’s rich variety of seafood, wild game, berries and vegetables, while also exploring innovative, 'haute cuisine' ingredient combinations and finishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Raymonds - Best Restaurants in St. John's ›
Raymonds reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)notable wine list (107)fit for foodies (103)romantic (92)scenic view (74)hot spot (29)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (18)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Best restaurant in Canada? Yes!Theu999Dined on 9/20/2014My expectations for this restaurant were very high since I had heard it was the best restaurant in Canada. While you do pay for what you get, the freshness and the quality of the food is impeccable. They serve somewhat traditional french fare without any extravagance, but it is superbly done with every detail covered. The server and the somelière were very pleasant and very helpful. The only criticism I would have would be the greating. It was a little awkward. That being said, I did get there well before my reservation expecting to take a seat at the bar for a cocktail before my meal, but all the seats were taken. Overall a wonderful experience. I recommend this restaurant to anyone with deep enough pockets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnCDined on 9/20/2014We dined on a Saturday night and the place was hopping. The food, especially starters and mains, was exceptional. The wine list was huge and Jeremy did a great job of suggesting wine pairings. The service was polished and friendly - no attitude! The noise level was very loud but otherwise it was an outstanding evening. Would love to return and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disapointing experienceluvtodinebutnotatRaymondsDined on 9/18/2014We had expected a rating of number one in Canada to provide a premier dining experience. While the presentation was beautiful the oysters were disappointing as they were very small. My rib eye (aged for 45 days) was served almost blue while I had ordered medium/rare and was extremely gristly. Our server was brusque to the point of rudeness. I have dined in many five star restaurants and do not mind paying the kind of prices that Raymond's charges but I do expect that I will receive value in kind. The answer to question 2 above is that from our experience I will recommend that anyone traveling to St. John's avoid Raymond's
- An experience.NotafoodieDined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed the 5 course meal, in that we could sit back and be surprised by what the chef chose to make us. The first course was brought to us on a plate that was a log. It looked fantastic. I took a picture! The food was special in that it was a variety of food we wouldn't have been able to try ordering an entree. I was slightly disappointed when I ordered the wine pairing for $65. I was served less than a 1/4 glass with each course and when I didn't like one and asked for it to be replaced with an alternative wine, it wasn't replaced or commented on. I understand it is a 'fancy' place, but for a $400 meal I expect above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingoctavioDined on 9/17/2014Easily the best restaurant in the province. We savored each bite to appreciate the incredible & subtle flavors of every dish. We highly recommend the wine pairings chosen by the sommelier, each glass really did go together very well with the food and was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience EverSupermanDined on 9/16/2014The food was exceptional, the service impeccable, the atmosphere warm and inviting and I felt I was in a special place. I wish I could eat here everyday. Looking forward to my next visit to St John for another enjoyable and satisfying dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't WaitSLDJDined on 9/12/2014We were coming to St. John's for a vacation and heard about Raymond's before we left. Our daughter said you need to go there and booked it for us before we left. It was so wonderful; the service was top notch and the food was so tasty. We choice not to do wine pairing which was fine. We did find if you wanted to have just a glass of wine it was pricey in our mind. Not a lot of choices of salads. All in all a great choice and would highly recommend Raymond's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality but waaay overpriced!!DiningproDined on 9/11/2014Everything we ate was really delicious, but everything is also priced so far out of reach that most can only eat there on special occasions, and even then feel they've been ripped off. For example I ordered a seared scallop appetizer for $23... While the appy was delicious, there were only two scallops on the plate! So Raymond's, while it is great to receive awards and national recognition, please, why the $$$$$$?Special Features:
- Perfect as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014It was simply perfect - the food, the wine, the service - every single aspect was wonderful!Special Features:
- Raymonds worthy of being No. 1orangedaneDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I celebrated a very special occasion at Raymonds. The ambiance, the food, the service, and the wine list lived up to expectations. We both had the moose meat special. It was superb. My husband who loves seafood chowder raved about the Raymonds' version in a tomato base broth. The desert, double chocolate tart, was worth the calories. The service was friendly and professional. The sommelier was very helpful. Although most of the wines would make a dent in your bank account you can select more affordable options. All in all it was an outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Before I leftImpressedDined on 9/3/2014Was really hoping to get a chance to try out such a noted restaurant before leaving St. John's. To my happy surprise a reservation for the 5 course tasting with a wine a pairing was made for myself and a friend! I loved the experience- how the food and wine details were explained to me in a pleasant and not "stuffy" way and the attention to visual detail. Great job Raymonds!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsarmchairgourmetDined on 8/30/2014More often then not when I read a restaurant review by the snob critics the restaurant is usually disappointing. Not the case with Raymond's. Fantastic food, knowledgeable staff wonderful wine list. My wife and I did the 7 course tasting with wine pairings. Food was superb. Our waiter was engaging and well versed. This place is not cheap...but neither are great seats at a boadway show! In all exceeded my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded already high expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Very memorable dinner. Definitely lived up to the hype. Service was excellent and our meals were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience050937k2Dined on 8/22/2014Raymonds was an awesome dining experience. As someone who is gluten free I found the staff to be overly accommodating, and I was served mostly the same as everyone else. Substitutions were made if an item was not gluten free. The food and presentation was second to none :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mooseDined on 8/20/2014mine and my wife's favorite place to eat! May add another meat choice for appetizer and main courde!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class diningFoodDudeDined on 8/19/2014I've heard about this restaurant on my trip and people claimed that it's better then any restaurant in Canada. I've visit some high end restaurants in the world from Nobu to Wolfgang puck to Joey Robuchon. This definetly holds it's ground. Probable the best tasting menu I can recall. I'm matching this up against Michilin star restaurants for service, selection of wines and amazing presentation and bites. Hard to pin down a favourite on the 7 course tasting menu. Cod tounge, scallop or the mushroom pasta are all equally impressive with the wine pairings really bringing out the flavour. For the foodie or business man that really want to impress, this is a must when visiting St. John's.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantfoodaholicDined on 8/19/2014Great food, stellar service! Very expensive, but worth the splurge. A wonderful fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Fine dining at it's best!ringramDined on 8/16/2014Amazing food and service worth the splurge! Would highly recommend! The staff are great,knowledgeable, smooth service without being stuffy! The food was delicious, presentation was tot notch as well. The sommeliers were amazing as well. Furthermore the staff worked as a team! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CarolynDined on 8/13/2014The food and service at Raymond's is outstanding. We enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing option, incredible! It's not hard to see why this is one of Canada's best! The atmosphere was great, it was surprisingly relaxing and the staff were so knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Absolutely deliciousyummyfindsDined on 8/12/2014We had a fabulous time at Raymonds! The five course meal was to die for, the wine list was extensive and our waitress was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. At the end of the night chef Jeremy came and greeted us. I appreciate that he uses as many local ingredients as possible. Overall a lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceIheartfoodDined on 8/9/2014Took my mom there as a surprise to celebrate her 60th Birthday. We were a party of 4 and had an amzing experience. The food, wine and service was all perfect! Great place to celebrate any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed another wonderful dining experience At Raymonds. Each year we dine there as the cuisine and service are always consistent. It is a treat to see the changes in the menus. Many of the choices are prepared from local foods. We look forward to dining there when we return to St. Johns next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014More outstanding than words can describe. Food, wine and service were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealGreatBigCDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I had our wedding reception at Raymond's August 2012 and were blown away by the whole experience, as were all of our guests! We were equally impressed by the meal we recently had, August 2014, and would recommend this restaurant to anybody!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerFussyeaterDined on 8/7/2014Truly one of the best dinners we have had. Top-notch service. Great ambience. Highest recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lilttle dissapointed this yearp45crokDined on 8/7/2014I've been going to Raymond's for a few years now. Since it is quite expensive (almost $300 for my wife and I this year with tip & tax) we only go on our wedding anniversary. I enjoy a little special treatment, delicious food and a quiet, romantic atmosphere. This year all of these things were lacking. I think they should have a policy where small children are not allowed. This year both an infant and a toddler where present and they were at times loud and often distracting. After making a reservation and them calling the night before (I answered and spoke with here) I was quite surprised (and a little annoyed) to have them call again while I was eating there! The really strange part was the woman who called me was the one who check us in.Special Features:
- Dinner for four at Raymond'smadrasDined on 7/31/2014The nitty gritty - wife had halibut, was slightly dry and oversalted. Remainder of plate was good. I had pork trio which was great all around, Bro had tenderoin. I personally detest seeing steaks tied with string, to me its a ripoff. Cut the thing thick for that price. Sis in law had mushroom strudle. Very rich but to me taste like chicken fat. Appies were pasta special, very good and oysters, also very good. Wine was 2009 Clos de los Siete, personal bargain fav. Desserts not satifying overall. Service and plating great. Forgive grammar, typed on mobile!Special Features:
- MandGDined on 7/31/2014Service was impeccable, Erin the sommelier was outstanding, decor was very nice, beautiful view when near the windows. Food was very good. Would rate it in the top three restaurants we have been to. The cost was very high but we are assuming it has something to do the time of year.Special Features:
- Not on my top 50TopShelfDined on 7/29/2014Giving Raymonds 2 stars for their food may seem harsh but when you're rated #1 in Canada and have the nations best on the top 50 list as peers you have to put a great meal together. Raymonds simply had one failure .... no flavor. Each dish was presented beautifully but were very bland.
- AmazingRachard71Dined on 7/26/2014Great food and atmosphere - no wonder it was rated of Canada's best new restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raymonds lived up to expectationsvoytekDined on 7/26/2014Let me get the bad out of the way. We ordered the 5 course tasting menu, and mentioned please no bacon, when the server ske asked if we had any special considerations or allergies. One of the dishes was prepared with bacon, and it overpowered everything, even though I didn't eat it. The price point for this restaurant is beyond what we normally choose, but we were in town only for a short period of time, and it wasn't likely we'd be visiting here again, so we decided to try the #1 rated restaurant for our special occasion. I won't say if the food was "worth the price", but the evening was a great experience. The staff were incredible, friendly, not stuffy, as was the atmosphere in the restaurant. Seems I ran out of room to write.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We died and went to RaymondsFoodie49Dined on 7/25/2014Reserved at Raymonds on the advice of a friend when I was heading to St John's with family. Only got around to doing so some 3 weeks before our trip -- and it was nearly too late! Hm, thought I -- is this just hype, or….? Well, it wasn't just hype. The service was excellent, the food, sublime. So many ingredients, so many flavours, each dish prepared with such care, to perfection. It does not get any better than this. How could we not choose the cod, for our first visit to St John's? it was outstanding, as were the beef tenderloin and pasta main of the day. As for the dessert… who ever knew that such a thing as 'lovage' existed? well, Raymonds made a sorbet of it. Simply divine. Attentive service; outstanding wine menu. You must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedRestaurants007Dined on 7/25/2014Food was great but a little overrated, pretentious, and toooooo expensive. There are plenty of great places to eat without having to mortgage your home.Special Features:
- Stunning!kakewDined on 7/22/2014Everything about Raymonds is stunning- the food, building, service and view! You can tell everything is fresh and prepared skillfully. Could not recommend highly enough. May not be great for picky eaters but they will accommodate special dietary requirements. A lot of fish options and surprisingly no chicken. Highly recommend the beef tenderloin.Special Features:
- Dinner for FourlivetoeatDined on 7/18/2014The wine list was abundant and the food options were incredible. We had two 7 course tastings, the steak and cod entrees. The waitstaff I believe was generous in providing the two ladies that did not order the 7 course tasting a small sampler however there were 2 small hairs in the one of the samplers!! This I believe is unacceptable in any restaurant but specifically in such a fine establishment. Needless to say that put a damper on the entire experience. Raymond's did cover our bottle of wine though. The duck breast was over cooked and the slice of meat in the strawberry soup was awkward to eat. The seafood options of halibut and cod were incredible and both the entrees were generous and delicious - I'd stick with the cod entree.Special Features:
- Works of ArtSnowdancerDined on 7/15/2014Raymond's has made it to the top of a couple of "best restaurant" lists, and it is certainly the best restaurant I have ever eaten in. I had the 7 course tasting menu with wine pairings. The restaurant was full, but our server and sommelier made me feel that my companion and I were the only two people in the place. Each dish was a work of art-almost a shame to eat, but not quite. The chef's selection included items that I never would have ordered if left on my own. Each dish was a happy surprise. I cannot recommend Raymond's too highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly one of the bed in the countryChris902Dined on 7/12/2014I had high expectations and they were exceeded. One of the best in the country. Seven course tasting menu was exceptional value and I have never experienced seafood of this caliber. The room is grand and the service is formal, professional and incredibly efficient. Worth anchoring an entire trip to St John's around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomefoodiepart2Dined on 7/10/2014It was a experience of good food , presentation, knowledgeable waitress made the food even more enjoyable and good atmosphere. The offered wine paring and our waitress was an expert even though we did not choose this route. We asked for 5 course meal it was amazing from start to finished meaning appetizer to desert a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014Raymond's is likely not to be a regular outing for most due to price point but it is definitely a must for special occasions. Unforgettable food and service. Do yourself a favour and make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not at this priceBigmakVIPDined on 7/10/2014Hard to believe its ranking. Interesting menu but other than dessert nothing stood out. Duck promised medium rare and was well done. At close to $50, entrees should be perfect. Service and view were excellent. Love high ceilings and old buildings. Louder than expected and more casual. Hard to recommend at these prices and I can find far better places at lesser prices in most cities in North America. Maybe it was an off night.Special Features: