Ray J's American Grill
9854 Norma Lane
Woodbury, MN 55125Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ray J's American Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ray-js.com/
- Phone: 6517142035
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 3:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Ray J's American Grill
Whatever taste you fancy, Ray J’s American Grill prepares some of the most delectable original food around. We hand-prepare each dish to your liking seven days a week. We offer a variety of flavors and entrees you’re sure to love. We guarantee quality service and customer satisfaction. And don’t forget our full-service bar, banquet facilities and 13 plasma TV screens! Stop by today. Whether you’re dining in or carrying out, be sure to get your food from Ray J’s American Grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ray J's American Grill - Best Restaurants in Woodbury ›
Ray J's American Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Group EvenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014We had about 30 people. Wings were excellent. Staff was friendly. It was a great experience for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TimingjdacDined on 7/5/2014Got our dinner salads before the appetizer arrived then with in 4 minutes after that the main order arrived. The wait staff needs to work on timing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Ray J's American Grill reviews archive.
- No ReservationFrustratedDined on 5/11/2014We were changing our table size and I read that if this were to happen then call and let Ray J's know. When I did they did not have our reservation! They said that other's had also done the same thing and they did not have reservation. They had no idea what I was talking about. I told them that I had a confirmation number and confirmed reservation. Everything turned out ok, bu I don't think that I will ever use this again and will tell others to just call for a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time but too many peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We really love going to Ray J's & have done Mother's Day brunch for about 4-5 years here now. The only problem I found was that they packed too many people in. The tables were so close together we couldn't hardly move to get up & down for food. The staff was excellent & friendly & the food was good.Special Features:
- Excellent Wings!rkruzeskiDined on 4/20/2014I will keep coming for the wings! I recommend ordering more than one type of wing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchBrunchDined on 4/20/2014Half of the brunch food was great (prime rib, ham, eggs Benedict, bacon, fruit, salad, desserts), but the other half was worse then cafeteria food. Scrabbled eggs were rubbery, waffles and French toast were horrible, and the biscuits with gravy were not edible (gravy was tan water with crumbled sausage). So I call this the trial and error brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively PlaceKittyDined on 4/11/2014Went to Ray J's on a Friday evening for dinner with a friend. Food was good and atmosphere was very lively. Only problem was it was too noisy to have a conversation with my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very popular spot!IkonMelDined on 3/22/2014We dined at Ray J's on a Saturday night at 7pm. It was packed and pretty noisy when we arrived. It didn't seem to slow down the entire time we were there either. Food was awesome! My husband had the Buffalo wings and I had the boneless Drunken wings. Both were excellent. He had the pot pie for dinner and I had the Patty Melt. His pot pie had so much chicken he could barely finish it, but he said it was good. My burger was very tasty although it was very greasy. Beverage refills were a little slow and we never got waters.Special Features:
- Keep drivingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014There were very few people at this restaurant and yet the food was terrible and the service dubious. I will avoid this restaurant in the future.
- Our server was very good.Moi99Dined on 3/11/2014Our server was very good. Disappointed that we could not get an item that was 'on special' through the week - and it was Tuesday. Food was fine -I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Bar & Grill for anyoneginn16Dined on 3/4/2014Nice place to go if you want to bring the family and dine or go to the other side and drink at the bar and play pull tabs. Decent selection of food. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service!!DinnerDisaster4FourDined on 3/1/2014We actually had to put our beer bottles and drink glasses on the floor because our server wouldn't pick them up. We had to ask several times for the dressings for the wraps and gyros. We had to ask for silverware. One dish was requested with no tomatoes due to allergies, and it came with tomatoes. It was loud, the table was so close to another table that the kids behind us kept pushing his chair back and ramming into mine. And the dining room wasn't even filled to capacity. We requested another round of drinks, never got them. WE GAVE UP. Don't Bother!
- AnnoyingRechtzigelDined on 2/22/2014Some of the worst service I've had in a while. My salad/appetizer was brought out halfway through my meal. There was no silver wear on the table and we had to ask for it from multiple different servers. The low ceilings make things sound so much louder. But, the food was very good! I just wouldn't go back because between the service, noise levels, and wait from how long it takes the food was just ridiculousSpecial Features:
- Valentine's DayRudolphDined on 2/14/2014We had a nice dinner on Valentines night. Great waitress and food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wings!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/9/2014We love their wings but their nachos are something to be desired. Service a little slow but friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedfoodieintheburbsVIPDined on 2/1/2014The fish was so over fried it was tough to chew, dirty/empty plates sat on our table until we left, constantly waiting for refills, no apologies for any of this.Special Features:
- Solid choiceMustangLoriDined on 1/18/2014Website says breakfast is served on Saturday and Sunday from 10a - noon. We arrived at 11a and were informed lunch was the only menu available. Not cool.
- Pleasant SurpriseImpresarioVIPDined on 1/10/2014I had not been here before and glad to have made a reservation--it was very busy. The barbequed chicken was excellent. I would go back--but beware, it is very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-Somaplewood1Dined on 12/31/2013Was there on New Year's Eve. It was busy, but not real busy. It took quite awhile for our waiter to come. When he did, I ordered a glass of wine. He came back about 10 minutes later to ask if we were ready to order, but did not bring the wine. He finally came back with it about 10 minutes later. Food was ok, but I don't think I'll go back again.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013We have met friends at the Woodbury location for cocktails and appetizers several times and been satisfied. Our last visit was for an evening meal. A great disappointment. Only the hamburger meal out of 4 orders was acceptable. Walleye crust was burnt - black. Ruben plate was lacking flavor. And, our poor friend who got the chicken rib dinner, couldn't eat the chicken it was so over-cooked. Service was lacking and kitchen must have been having difficulties because our meals all came to the table at separate times. If we return, we'll stick with the chicken wings and appetizer menu items.
- Friday night DelightHate2waitDined on 11/1/2013We arrived 10 minutes ahead of our reservation and were seated immediately. What a nice surprise as there were others waiting. The sampler platter was delicious, something for everyone. Our waitress brought a sample of the new Pumpkin beer for me to try and since it was good, I ordered one! Pizzas and sandwiches were very good too.Special Features:
- what we think abought are exp......bigjay01Dined on 10/4/2013they are not the best wings in minnesota...........................................Special Features:
- Favorite place in Woodbury!FoodIsGoodDined on 9/29/2013We went to Ray J's for my birthday with a group of 6, they accommodate babies very well and all the wait staff is beyond nice. I always recommend this restaurant for its wings and burgers. Best wings in the state, they just got an award on the news for their wings!Special Features:
- The food and service has beenlucydDined on 9/29/2013better in the past. We had a big group, so I get the chaos but some food was "forgotten" and the fish was like rubber. We have been to Ray J's many times and have always LOVED it so this in no way will keep us from going back, The drunken wings are AMAZING!!Special Features:
- Wings RuleHipmommaDined on 9/28/2013We got a sitter and made the half hour trip just for the wings. We heard they were the best, and they were. Looking forward to another run to Ray Js soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a Great time. goodMelissaDined on 9/6/2013We had a Great time. good food. I think the wings should also be on the menu as a dinner with a salad and other choice of sides... they are amazing...Special Features:
- Compared to the other restaurantsJacobDined on 8/21/2013Compared to the other restaurants on Open Table, Ray J's is mediocre. Average menu entree is roughly 12 to 13 dollars. I do highly recommend going when they have their special occasion buffets. I took my mom there for mother's day and LOVED the buffet. Other than that, pretty so-so. Also, they do not have a lot of vegetarian options for those who so choose. My wife could only find a couple items to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Ray J's!MmmMmmGoodDined on 6/12/2013The wings are the best. The drinks are great, nice and strong. :) Not watery like some places. Service was amazing. We go to Ray J's quite often and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013Food is acceptable, OK, but nobody at our table of 6 thought their meal was great, So probably a place I would not choose to revisit. Maybe we just did not pick the right things on the menu. Service was good, responsive, timely.Special Features:
- Nice and Casualbrownie3492Dined on 5/22/2013This was the first time I have tried eating here and it was a very good first time. The food tasted incredible , the service was great. The special requests I made couldn't have worked better. I would definitely come back another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat Ray J's WingsFamily64Dined on 5/10/2013You can't beat Ray J's chicken wings. It's a great place for large groups and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and wait staff was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Food and wait staff was excellent. We will be back..Special Features:
- GeneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013My wife and I found the Sausage and Pepperoni Woodfired Pizza to be a very good choice! Our friends had pizza as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. The service was very timely and courteous. We will be back!Special Features:
- For the suburban Twin Cities,RiverRatSkipDined on 4/12/2013For the suburban Twin Cities, Ray-J's American Grill in Woodbury is worth a look. Their servers are attentive, polite, and professional, and the food is average to above average. Happy hour specials are good, and the ambiance is ok, if not a bit loud, particularly in the bar area. My only disappointments there have been with the greeters / reception staff, as they've sometimes appeared either disinterested or overwhelmed, depending on the time of day and length of the waiting list.Special Features:
- Met friends to watch the SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2013Met friends to watch the Saturday March Madness game and had a great table with perfect views of the TV's. A very enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Buffet was GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2013The Easter buffet was great. All the food was prepared well and good quality. The staff was friendly and the price was very reasonable. I would recommend the restaurant and will go back.Special Features:
- Ray J's has a great SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013Ray J's has a great Sunday brunch, including a nice Bloody Mary bar. I've been here several times for dinner and have always found the food to be better than I expected; a pleasant surprise! It is definitely a step or three up from the usual TGI Friday’s, Applebee’s, Champps, and the like. A solid find and we will keep coming back!Special Features:
- We had the hotturkey sandwich,PabloeatsVIPDined on 3/13/2013We had the hotturkey sandwich, it was great comfort food!! This place is always busy and that means it is a great place to go!!
- Pretty good cracker. WildlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/23/2013Pretty good cracker. Wildly popular, therefore very busy. Reservations essential. Ribs are recommended. Ask for seating away from the windows in winter - a bit drafty and cold.Special Features:
- Had a great time. We alwaysPabloeatsVIPDined on 2/16/2013Had a great time. We always get the Asian wings, always a favorite. Service was great also.