1046 Hamilton Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2R9Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rawcanvas.com/
- Phone: 6046871729
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 6:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether hanging with yours or meeting new ones, human connection is what we dig. From dates to birthday parties to team-building functions, your time at Raw Canvas is best shared with friends and loved ones.
- Private Party Contact: Group Events 8774734086
A word from Raw Canvas
Eat. Drink. Make Art. Welcome to Raw Canvas... lounge, wine bar, art studio. An extraordinary social destination. Take a deep breath, sit down, make yourself at home. Choose from our dynamic selection of handcrafted tapas and earth-friendly wines. If the mood strikes, grab a smock and make your way into the painting pit. Buy a blank canvas, we will provide the paint, brushes and everything you’ll need to free your inner artist. Our crew will provide encouragement, insight and inspiration to aid you throughout your creative journey.Continued
We are the renaissance; art, food, wine, music, poetry, love, community.
Raw Canvas will revolutionize the way you socialize.
We are the renaissance; art, food, wine, music, poetry, love, community.
Raw Canvas will revolutionize the way you socialize.
For reservations of 6+ please email email@example.com.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Raw Canvas reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (4)special occasion (4)good for groups (1)neighborhood gem (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Unique Dining ExperiencelilteaDined on 7/26/2014It takes a lot to stand out in the Vancouver restaurant scene. Raw Canvas has a unique offering: paint your own masterpiece after some great tapas and a few glasses of wine :) I wish they had a few more full dinner choices, but the cheese and charcuterie boards were a good size and I wasn't hungry after. I had visitors from out of town and we all had so much fun—can't wait to go back! Hint: If the cost of a canvas is a bit too steep for you, share with a friend!Special Features:
- Interesting experienceasbettsDined on 7/19/2014My friend and I tried this place out together. First time for both of us. It is definitely a cool spot to spend a couple of hours and get creative. Don't go hungry since there's basically only cheese and charcuterie plates. This is fine by me, but it's not a "dinner" spot. The staff were lovely and helpful. Painting was fun, but most people seemed to be skilled and spent far more time on their canvases than we did. It was good for one time, but I don't think I would go back. Not because of anything Raw Canvas did wrong, but simply because I am not really a painter. It would be a cute date spot though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 111 reviews are from the Raw Canvas reviews archive.
- Great for snacks-drinks with friendErikaGdeBDined on 6/20/2014The painting activity is FUN with group of friends. Is best to visit Raw Canvas before of after dinner, cause only snacks menu and GREAT selection of wines. Cozy, romantic and live music on Thursdays I think! Great place to do something unique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who doesn't have fun painting?NickDined on 4/15/2014Raw Canvas is an awesome experience. Therapists should recommend this place - couples should try, at least once, to work together on the same painting :P So much fun to snack, drink & paint!Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect!jenniferDined on 2/28/2014Everything about my expierience was great, food was good(unfortunately took a little while) the meat and cheese selection was excellent, one is good for sharing as it filled me and my friend up for the night and we were absolutely starving ! the canvases while very expensive are a great expierence in that itself and totally worth it. I recommend this place to everyone and it was one of the best nights of my life here ! much prefer it to any club or tacky bar scene, great servers and everyone is in such a great mood here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a date, overpricedHeeresJohnnyDined on 2/21/2014I had a good time, nothing wrong with service, food or atmosphere! Painting was fun and a good partner activity. The knock I have are the prices, for a cheese plate with some bread, olives and almonds, waay too much. For this price I could have had a dinner for two at a relatively nice restaurant in Vancouver as opposed to just having a tapas plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantic Dinning PlacelollolVIPDined on 2/13/2014We went to there for valentine's day dinner. It was very good. At that time, we didn't have time to try painting. So we're planning to visit again for another romantic dinner and painting.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Raw Canvas very much,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2014Enjoyed Raw Canvas very much, was a great night out with girlfriends! Super friendly staff as well :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much fun!CicyDined on 1/29/2014I have been to Raw Canvas three times now - twice as part of a work function, and once with a friend. Be warned that the focus of Raw Canvas is not the dinner, but the amazing fun you have at the back of the restaurant splattering paint on your own canvas! The food is simple meat and cheese platters with bread, nothing special (though I could eat brie all day). The painting though - it has never failed to amuse me, and it is a different experience every time because your canvas can turn into anything you dream up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tonnes of fun!VespachikDined on 1/25/2014Had so much fun painting after meeting and dining with friends. What a novel idea and brilliant concept. Definitely memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little expensive for itsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2013A little expensive for its worth. not enough food, and lack of choices of canvas size (e.g. small was not really a small; it was rather a medium size). Also too crowded in the painting area. Little interaction with the "art consultant". She was not unfriendly, but I did not see a need of having her around, other than showing me where the paint and the brushes were. And that's not consulting. Overall experience.. it was okay. Not great. I would only go once for the experience, but not ever again.Special Features:
- Great place to take a girlChaseDined on 5/28/2013Great place to take a girl on a date and paint. Instant memory creation. It is a place for drinks and appetizers but not food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the usual night out! (awesome)OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2013Wine+ Friends+Paint+Laughing at your friends Art= Great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Minimum Amount Spend is $30/personk8m6Dined on 5/3/2013Food is definitely for sharing, although ironically, I found it wasn't good for big groups. They have a minimum amount spent of about $30 per person irregardless of people showing up or not. They require you to have the final number in your group 72 hours prior to your reservation. If not everyone in your party shows up, you will be given a gift card in the amount of the difference between your current bill and what it would've been if the whole group showed up. The place is small, and seating is scheduled, seats need to be filled somehow, hence, the minimum spend. Consider this a fair warning. Otherwise, it was good fun painting after having some wine. This would be a perfect spot for a first date.Special Features:
- Loved this place! Will definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/26/2013Loved this place! Will definitely be back! Perfect night with my boyfriend for his birthday, we had a lot of fun!Special Features:
- Raw Canvas was the highlightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013Raw Canvas was the highlight of our weekend in Vancouver. If you are looking for a fun, lively, spot where you can actually CREATE rather than just consume, Raw Canvas is it!Special Features:
- If you've never been, go atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2013If you've never been, go at least once! Painting your own canvas is a very different take on the concept of "dining" but a very worthwhile one to try at least once!Special Features:
- Second time there, had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2013Second time there, had a great time. The artist could have been a bit more helpful or interactive, but I think it would be hard to find the right balance. Food was great, and so was the service. Vanilla bean gelato with port stole the show.Special Features:
- Went here for Dine Out VancouverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2013Went here for Dine Out Vancouver 2013 deal. It was a great experience. A different type of date night and the food and wine was great! :)We went as a group of four and they had our reservations ready for us right when we got there! Great, quick service and being able to bring out our artistic side was super fun too! We're not super artistic like some of the other people that were there but it was still a fun time!Special Features:
- Attitude!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012I just wanted to let you know that the restaurant did not honor the reservation. They said they hadn't not taken any reservations that evening because of the band they had playing. When I showed them the print-out of the Reservation confirmation, they just shrugged it off and showed us the door.I had tried to call them twice earlier in the evening around 8PM to ask about the painting activity and how much it costs but no one picked up so I wasn't forewarned. I was extremely unimpressed at their reaction and suggest in future they specifically contact you (Opentable) and make sure they do not take any reservations online for nights they have live entertainment. I am definitely going to be warning everyone I know about this place!
- Tapas as it should beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2012Had only one (1) previous experience with Tapas. Our knowlegable wait-staff took the time to explained the menu, portions and how Tapas worked to help with our experience. Our experience was different and better than our fist. The portions were more bite-size and varied. Everthing was well presented and VERY tasty The wine list was adequate and somewhat limited. We will certainly return - maybe a bit later in the evening to get a better feel for the ambianceSpecial Features:
- Raw Canvas serves a sensual feastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2012Raw Canvas is not a restaurant, diner, bar, club, pub, or coffee shop. While it shares certain aspects with those places, it incorporates them in such a way as to rise above them and create something entirely new. From the food to the drinks, from the music to the visual art, everything at Raw Canvas is out of the realm of what one normally expects when going out. However, rather than making one feel uncomfortable, the environment invites the eater/artist to open up, relax and enjoy. The servers/bartenders are amazingly knowledgeable and helpful. More importantly, however, they are kind -- truly kind. This is not what you would expect from a place as hip as Raw Canvas. Yet, Raw Canvas would not be as hip without them.Special Features:
- My experience was split upOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2012My experience was split up between two extremes. The food, service and ambiance was really enjoyable during my first hour, hour and a half at the restaurant. The staff were very knowledgeable about the food menu and honest about the wine menu. (The wine's had just come in that week.) The rest of the evening was not as enjoyable. To be fair to Raw Canvas, there was a bachelorette party that night and they were a disruptive group. However, I did not understand the lack of service towards the end of the night. The dining area was only 1/3 full but we were waiting for a good 10-15 minutes to settle our bill. We were ignored by most of the staff and because there was only one debit machine we had to wait even after being acknowledged.Special Features:
- We mistakenly believed thatnotagourmetVIPDined on 6/20/2012We mistakenly believed that this was a "tapas" bar w/ the choice of many small plates of food, that could proceed into a full meal if one wanted to. Not so - there was a limited choice of sliced meat/cheese presentations and that was it. We actually ended up going out to dinner afterwards. The beer and wine was also very expensively priced. The few long tables where various guests ended up grouped together did not allow for much privacy. We were actually less concerned about others hearing our conversations. What was much more unappealing was us having to listen to the conversations of others! Nonetheless, there were a lot of folks quite enjoying themselves the evening we were there - unfortunately, we didn't - and so we won't be back.
- I love this place!!! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2012I love this place!!! The painting is a lot of fun. Great place for groups and team building.Special Features:
- Food and service were excellent;OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012Food and service were excellent; a must for anyone looking for not only a great food experience, but also those seeking something different from the basic Tapas scene.Special Features:
- Other than the fact the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Other than the fact the wine is grossly over-priced, Raw Canvas is a great place. Awesome idea and so much fun to drink and paint.Special Features:
- Although I love the conceptOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/16/2012Although I love the concept and the ambiance of the restaurant. I must say the food was slightly disappointing in my personal point of view. Not that it tasted bad, but just the lack of selections makes it hard to satisfy your appetite. Especially when you make the effort to head into town on a weekend. Otherwise, I thought it was one of the cutest spot in town for dates. You can eat a little, drink a little, and paint a little all at the same time!Special Features:
- Wine + Paint = Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2011The food was decent and the drink menu had many tasty options. I love to paint and this place really caters to the inner artist. I love how you can use the space for up to one week to finish so guests don't feel pressured to wrap it up.Special Features:
- Cozy, warm, but vibrant, RawOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2011Cozy, warm, but vibrant, Raw Canvas is a unique experience. They have interesting beer selections and helpful and friendly staff. The restaurant area caters to many different occasions, whether it's a romantic date night, family dinner, birthday dinner, or group party. Then of course there's the art-creation aspect which is just such an awesome idea. Just below the seated restaurant area is a space for patrons to unleash their inner artist. There are many canvas sizes to choose from, and though the canvasses are fairly expensive, the tools and paint and helpful advice from resident artists is worth it! Raw Canvas is worth checking out for everyone!Special Features:
- We had a great time at RawOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2011We had a great time at Raw Canvas. Our server was very helpful when choosing our food and wine and the professional artist was helpful when it came time for us to paint. The food and wine were delicious and painting afterwards was a lot of fun. I would definately recommend this restaurant to family and friends.Special Features:
- Need more variety in foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2011Need more variety in food menu. Several of the wines we requested were not available - presumeably out of stock.Special Features:
- Christian - the in house artistOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2011Christian - the in house artist - was such a wonderful help! And our waiter was super knowledgeable and recommended fabulous wines and cheeses!Special Features:
- Great place for a date! AndOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2011Great place for a date! And great place for cheese platter, the food is incredible!Special Features:
- Great food great art!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2011Definitely exceeded my expectations and all of the staff were so very helpful! I would definitely go back again as it was an awesome experience.Special Features:
- My friend and I were welcomedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2011My friend and I were welcomed warmly, the server patiently answered all our questions about the menu and explained how the selection process worked. The taster plate of meats, cheeses and condiments was amazing, as was the wine. When it came time to paint, the very pleasant resident artist helped to set us up, and both my friend and I came away with a canvas inspired by our own life experience. What a terrific way to spend an evening.Special Features:
- very interesting experience,steveportmoodyVIPDined on 9/19/2011very interesting experience, combining food with painting. Food is mostly the old english ploughman's lunch idea, made fancy. Good selection of cheeses, cold cuts and accompaniments. Nice wine at fair prices. Very friendly and attentive service. Communal tables for the most part, very casual, younger crowd (but we 60 somethings were made very welcome). Before , during or after meal you get your own canvas , easel, paints etc. and create a masterpiece ! Neat idea. We used discount coupons and got great value. At full price it is a little expensive unless you are really into the art part.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2011We really enjoyed our experience at Raw Canvas, the staff were really helpful, friendly and knowledgable. We will definately return.Special Features:
- I have to say we had an excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2011I have to say we had an excellent time. Our waiter was fantastic, I didn't get his name but he was wearing a unique and cool beaver sweater, he reccomended some awesome cheese, was friendly and efficient - he's really really good. I got lost in my paiting and had such an amazing time creating. Enoch was helpful with suggestions and I appreciated his feedback (even though he wasn't quick to praise my artist genuis - lol). Thanks for a really great time!Special Features:
- Only went for food so can'tOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2011Only went for food so can't review the entire experience but I have been told that the painting is part is a lot of fun. I can vouch for the cheese and charcuterie plates though which were both very good. If you're looking for a big main course type of meal this is nto the place for you, but if you're looking for smaller eats and some painting to go along with it, you'll find yourself in the right place.