Raven & Rose
1331 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Raven & Rose
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ravenandrosepdx.com/
- Phone: 5032227673x
- Hours of Operation:
In the Ladd Dining Room:
Lunch | Monday – Friday
11:30am – 2:00pm
Brunch | Saturday & Sunday
10:00am – 2:00pm
Dinner | Monday – Saturday
5:00pm – 10:00pm
Sunday Supper | 4:00pm – 9:00pm
Upstairs in the Rookery Bar (21+):
Happy Hour | Tuesday – Friday
4:00pm – 6:00pm
Tuesday & Wednesday | 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday – Saturday | 4:00pm - Midnight
Sunday & Monday | Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Irish, British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music upstairs in the Hayloft
TRADITIONAL IRISH MUSIC TUESDAYS
5:30PM – 7:30PM
BLUEGRASS & FOLK WEDNESDAYS
7:30PM – 9:30PM
FREE BILLIARDS EVERY DAY IN THE SECOND FLOOR ROOKERY BAR
COCKTAIL CLASSES MONTHLY
- Cross Street: Columbia
- Public Transit: MAX stops (3 blocks’ walk): Green/Yellow line, City Hall/SW 5th & Jefferson St
Green/Yellow line, SW 6th & Madison.
Bus stops (1 block walk): SW Columbia & SW Park Ave, buses #6, 38, 45, 55, 58, 68, 92, 96.
SW 6th & Columbia, buses #35, 36, 44, 54, 56.
Light Rail stop: SW Park & Market
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking is metered and generally has good availability on surrounding blocks. There is also a parking garage with spaces available to the public at standard city parking rates. It is located directly underneath the Carriage House, and the entrance is on Jefferson Street, on the left, at the block’s mid-point.
A word from Raven & Rose
Raven & Rose offers classic farmhouse cookery, fine cocktails, beer and wine in Portland’s historic Ladd Carriage House. The first-floor dining room features the finest, simply-prepared cuisine, rooted in American cooking and influenced by the British Isles. The atmosphere is warm and inviting with the highest level of attentive, friendly service.The second-floor vaulted hayloft space is now a classic bar and lounge furnished with leather sofas, armchairs and cocktail tables that is at once intimate and grand, with soaring open trusses and a beautiful fireplace. It provides an exclusive hideaway for sipping cocktails inspired by the building’s exuberant history, for meeting friends for a game of chess or billiards, or enjoying after-dinner drinks, coffee and dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Raven & Rose - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Raven & Rose reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)special occasion (72)neighborhood gem (54)romantic (43)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (25)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (16)hot spot (15)great for brunch (14)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Salt salt and more salt...LuperDined on 10/18/2014I am sure there were lovely flavors hidden in our three meals somewhere, but the overwhelming abundance of salt in our food made it impossible to enjoy. This is the second time we have experienced a less than satisfactory meal at Raven & Rose so it will have to be our last.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Took my 16 year old daughter for a special daddy-daughter date and it was perfect! Food, service and atmosphere were fantastic!Special Features:
- Very traditional English Fare.dpstobDined on 10/12/2014We ended up here on Sunday Roast Supper night. Amazing! Served family style and very traditional English food. Portions were perfect and selections was fantastic! Loved it!Special Features:
- Awesome on all fronts!FoodieRideorDieDined on 10/11/2014Fantastic food, service, and atmosphere. 10 out of 10! Can't wait to go back. Still dreaming of my clams and prawns dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best this time...cdp1276VIPDined on 10/11/2014Service was pretty bad, and table not ready at reservation time and was being pushed to eat at the bar by multiple people. Wrong food placed in front of us, wine not refilled, wrong bar drink, little follow up, dessert taken away before finished after not bring the right dessert items. I'm not usually crazy picky but for the costs here, I expect better.
- No regrets. Would go again.pickyeaterDined on 10/4/2014Made a reservation and table was ready within a minute of our arrival. Service was great. Looked like only one vegetarian option on the menu and it was pasta. We all had meat. Three of us had the hangar steak. We all liked it a lot, but the portion was quite large and we all took home leftovers. The fourth person had the pork and said it was also quite good. There was some disappointment in the beer list, but that was probably because the restaurant was participating in a "fresh hops" event in Portland and the beer drinkers all preferred a less hop-intense beer. I ordered a cocktail that wasn't on the menu, but they fixed it for me anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with a British flairPortlanderDined on 10/3/2014A beautiful and historic building brings the best of British pub food to Portlanders who appreciate good atmosphere, good food, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindDanSDined on 10/2/2014We found Raven & Rose on Open Table by staying near it, at Riverplace Hotel. We were very impressed with the menu and preparation from the kitchen. Great find on Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful, Quaint & DELISH!luvyummyfoodDined on 10/2/2014Love this place! Great menu, really friendly service (we had Rory) & yummy food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar ServiceKCinPDXDined on 9/25/2014We went to celebrate an anniversary and from start to finish, the service and food were perfect. And, the best Manhattan I've had ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it out!ChrisADined on 9/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Raven and Rose. It was well worth the trip. The food and service were excellent. It's a romantic atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:
- Must try!ChocolateDivaDined on 9/20/2014Everything about this restaurant is amazing! The first time we went, it was for my husband's and I 24th anniversary. David, the bartender/manager (?) sent us each a glass of a mixed drink, his own concoction. It was wonderful. We happened to go on a Sunday night, which is their weekly "Sunday Roast." Everything is served family style. After the meal, we had butterscotch pudding, which was deliciously creamy, but not overly sweet. We ended the night by drinking Absinthe. The presentation of the Absinthe, given by Dave, was very cool to watch. We loved Raven and Rose so much, that we came back 2 weeks later, which may not seem that big of a deal to anyone, however, we live in the San Francisco Area. :-)Special Features:
- Pre-show wonderfulBillBDined on 9/20/2014Food was absolutely excellent! Service was prompt, nonintrusive, and friendly. We were scheduled to see a show at the Schnitzer auditorium at 7:30 and when we let the hostess know she knew all about the artist and we had an interesting conversation about him (Ben Folds). She wanted to go but was working, serving us. These are not cheap eats but worth the time for special occasions. Only complaint? Those single huge ice cubes in the mixed drinks. They seem to be popping up in several locales and I find it impossible to get the right mix of cold ice and alcohol in my mouth. I just don't find that huge cube appealing and it SEEMS to make your actual drink volume smaller. Ditch the big guy or give us a choice of crush or smaller cubes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very special and over-priced!OregonVisitorDined on 9/18/2014The menu looked interesting and the reviews were good so our party of 6 eagerly anticipated dinner here. The menu offerings were unusual and tasty but the service was frustratingly slow and rather abrupt though it wasn't terribly busy. From a value standpoint as well as overall dining experience, Higgins would have been a considered better value and more enjoyable experience. We'll know better next time!
- We'll be backmulletDined on 9/16/2014Delightful restored and repurposed historic building, fun interior, attentive and friendly service. Before-meal drinks and appetizer were entertaining and delicious, our four entrees were each perfectly cooked -- soft salmon with crispy skin, fork-tender rabbit, thinly sliced tender beef and gently-smoked pork. The sides were intriguing and delicious, from full-flavored lentils to magnificent Yorkshire pudding and all the vegetables in between. Only miss was a delicious sweet onion tart with a slightly tough crust. Couldn't finish butterscotch pudding and chocolate cake, but it wasn't for lack of trying. Beverage list had any choice we could want -- scotch, tequila, whisky, port, wine, imaginative cocktails. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchFishnchipDined on 9/14/2014We ordered the american breakfast and the fish and chips and both were delicious but I was especially blown away by the fish and chips. I've never had softer fish with the perfect amount of light crunch go so well together. I would come back again just to have that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sounds hyperenthused; but all trueconjuntoDined on 9/13/2014We had charming service from all of the employees, from the young man learning the front to the person who delivered our plates to the table. I first ate at R & R for a friend's large birthday brunch, where the lively variety of food ordered let us all enjoy many of the dishes on the menu. As we left, an employee responded to our questions about the restaurant by taking us on a tour upstairs, teaching us the history of the Ladd carriage house (now R & R), and the history of its move. The food at R & R is imaginative and tastes amazing. For our dinner last night, we had a 1 hour window before leaving for a concert, and the waiter strategized with us to make sure we ate well and got our check promptly. Dinner was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow but goodSnappyDined on 9/9/2014We waited 20 minutes for drinks to arrive and one hour for food. My beer came 3/4 full. The food was good to very good. The server was pretty bad in general--she forgot about the specials until we asked if there were any, didn't know whether any beers were on draft that weren't on the menu and was unapologetic for the delays. The tables around us seemed to be having a similar experience, so we didn't take it personally.
- Great eveningfoodloverVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our first time and loved the casual feel vibe of such a nice place. We enjoyed our meal and love the option to go to the Rookery upstairs. There are literally 2 different dining options when coming here. The food was price and portions were good, made me feel like I was getting all I paid for! I'm coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raven and RoseAndyBMDDined on 9/5/2014Great downtown place to be. Historic space, great classic English food. Wood burning oven. Great brunch too. Excellent for families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raven & Rose is Incredible!SondraDined on 9/3/2014The food is always fantastic and so is the service. Wonderful cocktails and romantic setting. I will keep coming back here for as long as it exists.Special Features:
- DiscoveryBluntAttitudeDined on 8/29/2014We've never been to R&R but feel that we have made a discovery worthy of return visits! We celebrated our anniversary there and really enjoyed ourselves. The presentation of the dishes was wonderful and everything tasted delicious!Special Features:
- Nice gastropub in DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/29/2014Lovely old building at southern end of downtown, so convenient to hotels like The Heathman and The Hilton. Manager knew her wines and was very helpful in recommending local winemakers. Wine list was strong and well priced. Food was very good. We enjoyed potted local shrimp, shrimp and clams baked in wood-fired oven, Columbia River salmon, steak tartare, and butterscotch dessert.Special Features:
- Rather BlandSanDiegoChrisVIPDined on 8/29/2014Raven & Rose is a beautiful restaurant set in a restored 19th century building. Unfortunately, the food did not match the venue. Pasta and soup were pretty bland and the salmon/shrimp corn dogs were served luke warm, almost cold. Very disappointing.
- Excellent foodmrlukensVIPDined on 8/28/2014Everything we ordered was just about perfect. The salad with smoked cheddar had beautiful fresh greens layered with radishes and just the right whiff of smoky cheese. The pickled bay shrimp appetizer was served in a brine so perfectly balanced and flavorful I wanted to lap it up. It came with incredibly light and tender house-made crackers, fresh bread, and butter. We loved the preparations of both the pork and beef entrees, with portions so generous we took a good amount home to enjoy the next day. We shared the butterscotch pudding dessert and were glad we didn't pass it up. Our waiter was attentive and well-informed, very helpful, as was all the staff. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Historic place to lunchRycknPortlandDined on 8/26/2014had a great lunch. Service was very good overall - food came out fast - was a business lunch so that was appreciated. Front Door Host did an amazing job. Definitely will use again.Special Features:
- Dinner outsvensdatterDined on 8/23/2014Raven & Rose has consistently wonderful food. Drinks lovely and a fair wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They take care of youDudeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great preparation of upscale British pub food, with Northwest influences. Staff is wonderful. Very friendly. Very attentive. If you can stand the heat, sit by the brick oven and watch the kitchen do their work.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceExcellentDined on 8/20/2014I arrived 15 minutes earlier than what my reservation was for and I offered to sit at the bar, but they had a table ready. Service was Excellent and food was good. A little too much aoli sauce on my PBLT sandwich, but it was still tasty!Special Features:
- What a treat!CarrotDined on 8/19/2014The food and service were excellent. Everything was delicious. The creamed corn that accompanied my pork taste like it was just picked . The pork was smoked perfectly. The "extra fancy" drink was refreshing.Special Features:
- Always good food, not greatTimothy4VIPDined on 8/17/2014We go back here because of the service and we like the way the place feels, but the food is hit or just fine. We also like being able to make brunch reservations, because we hate waiting for a table for breakfast! This trip, the biggest winner was the bread basket...especially the doughnut cinnamon thing...absolutely, ridiculously amazing! I'm going back for that soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fried cheese curds and picklesRebe13Dined on 8/15/2014you know it's going to be a great meal when you start with fried cheese curds and pickles! great beer list, delicious apps and amazing main dishes.yum!Special Features:
- Wonderful timejimboDined on 8/12/2014Went here for the first time for our anniversary and it was outstanding. The service was prompt and helpful and the food was excellent. Ended upstairs afterwards for a nightcap and it was delicious too. All in all, an exceptional time. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Visit for PortlandpdxfoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014From the exquisite renovation of an historic Portland building to the warmth of a responsive staff to the Portland tradition of using the farmer’s market when possible, this rates as a top place for visitors to Portland. The skills of the sommelier and bar staff complement the excellent dining experience. My husband and I have photos of many memorable dishes published on social media sites.We encourage our out of town guests to make this a destination to really have a Portland experience—an experience we also treat ourselves to on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharondisappointedDined on 8/3/2014Enjoyed the Sunday roast a great deal on August 3. Particularly impressed with the sides offered, a great variety. The service was excellent. Will be back.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchmajajiDined on 8/3/2014Raven and Rose was wonderful in providing a great space for my birthday lunch. I had never been there but had heard many good things about it from others. I loved the meal I had and everyone else was very happy with their choices. We were impressed with the decor and the service and are excited to go back sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeretiredinpdxVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit, and we'll definitely be returning. The food was excellent, and we loved what had been done with the beautiful Ladd Carriage house during the restoration.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014We went to R & R on our anniversary last Thursday. I was surprised not to see many people there (they were probably upstairs in the beautiful bar). The renovated building is lovely; service and food were terrific. My wife had the hangar steak and I the rabbit; we started with potted shrimp and green salad respectively. Riesling wine was excellent, and I even got an "extra": a taste of another excellent pinot noir to go with the rabbit dish. Prices are rather high, but I think it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner and whiskeyBourbonatorDined on 7/30/2014R&R had fantastic service with some great options for dinner and an outstanding whiskey(y) list that was not overpriced.Special Features:
- Great find!PortlandFoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Brought out of town guests here as I wanted to try a new spot- food was really phenomenal, front of house was gracious, welcoming and informative (the building has historical significance). Plenty of small plates to do a tapas-like meal, and we all split one entree- house-made tagliatelle, and even though this is not a specifically Italian restaurant, the chef knows what al dente means, and the pasta had just the right amount of sauce. Will be back with local friends and likely make it a regular spot, very reasonable prices for the quality of the food, plus they serve bread from Ken's Artisan bakery - nuff said!Special Features: