Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
16 Fairgrounds Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ratsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6095847800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5pm - 9pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 11am - 3:00pm*
Sunday Lunch: 11am - 5:30pm*
*Please note: Reservations for Sunday are not available on line; please contact the restaurant directly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Scott Swiderski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rat’s Restaurant and Ground For Sculpture offers a full complement of resources and services for a wide range of social, private, and corporate functions. So many events—from weddings and holiday parties to meetings & trade shows have been inspired by the unique interplay of nature and art. Only the unparalleled service and dedicated staff’s attention to detail rival the setting itself. Rat's provides award-winning menus for groups up to 200 with flexible space and tiered food and beverage packages that may be customized to your specific need and budget
A word from Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
A relaxing and exotic escape featuring delightful cuisine, spectacular views and elegant ambiance, Rat’s Restaurant is the perfect dining destination. Named for the fabled entertaining character in Kenneth Graham’s children’s classic, The Wind in the Willows, Rat’s Restaurant is designed to give visitors the sense they have stepped into a village reminiscent of the impressionist painter Claude Monet’s beloved town of Giverny. From the moment you arrive you’ll see why this extraordinarily charming venue is a favorite for fine dining, celebrations and corporate events. Rustic fireplaces, country French cuisine, seasonal hand-crafted cocktails and an eclectic beer and wine list are just the beginning. Regarded as one of the most romantic restaurants in our region, Rat’s was named Philadelphia Magazine’s “Most Romantic Restaurant. Rat's Restaurant and catering is proudly managed by Stephen Starr EventsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture reviews from OpenTable diners
521 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (370)great for outdoor dining (363)special occasion (356)romantic (301)great for lunch (274)fit for foodies (248)great for brunch (143)good for groups (106)notable wine list (94)neighborhood gem (85)kid-friendly (31)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (18)Show More
- Dinner was lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Our meals were quite satisfying, however we felt the menu was lacking in variety or vegetarian selections, and it was difficult to choose. Maybe some more pasta, risotto or salads would round out the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely summer nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Pair the evening with a walk through Grounds For Sculpture. Delicious food. The menu lacked some traditional French faire. Would have loved escargot this evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulLuv2dineDined on 8/30/2014We dine here when we visit the Grounds for Sculpture, but it's good enough to make a special trip just for the restaurant itself. The Provencal Mezze appetizer is delicious. The dessert doughnuts were to die for. The service was excellent. We have had less than good service there in the past, but we were always eating late -- go early if you can, the service is a lot better than later.Special Features:
- Nice lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Beautiful atmosphere! Food was fair. Not as good as I remember in past experience. Server was great. We had a long lunch and did not feel rushed. Coffee and donuts were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I was only disappointed that we had to sit inside. A!though I made reservation And requested outside I was told outside was first come first served. I would have changed my plans accordinglySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014It was a wonderful experience to eat I. Your restaurant. The food was delicious and the service excellent! The mist and the ducks added to the peaceful surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and setting, BUT . . .jspressVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had a late (3:00 pm) lunch on the Friday before Labor Day on the outside patio. Big mistake! The service was atrocious! Each time the server came to our table--which wasn't often--he apologized for the delay. The delay was all his--15 minutes from being seated to his approaching our table; 15 more minutes to take our order; 15 more minutes to get beverages. Note that the kitchen was quite prompt once the order went it. Also, the management should rope off the patio dining area for guests only. It's hard to enjoy the meal or the amazing setting with someone's toddlers racing around your table or a loving couple banging into your chair while smooching for a photo. The positives—outstanding food, as always, and a beautiful garden.Special Features:
- Excellent and Memorable ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I spent the afternoon touring the Grounds for Sculpture and had lunch at Rats. We sat on the terrace overlooking the Monet's Giverny inspired pond and gardens, the surroundings were beautiful. Our lunch was delicious. Since it was my birthday, I had to have dessert, and hot chocolate cake, which was made to order, was one of the best desserts I have ever eaten. Our server Joshua was knowledgeable about the menu, and where the food is sourced, he was also very attentive. I would highly recommend Rats and can't wait to go back, again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Your French Onion Soup was the best our party has ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Through the years we have mostly enjoyed the changing management and had dinner a year or so ago and had a fine experience. Our recent luncheon had a few quirks. We ordered the Mediterranean Hummus combo app for all, which was good and quite a large portion but we did not get app plates and all used our bread plates which was a bit odd. Didn't get a change of silverware when the main course came. The mussels were tasty but only one piece of potato landed in the pot. Shrimp salad and turkey sandwich did not get any comments from friends but the Rabbit Ragout was reported to be tasteless and bacon overpowering. The pasta was on top of the sauce and bits of overcooked shredded rabbit. All in all we had a leisurely meal and time to visit.Special Features:
- Solid seasonal FrenchreducedsilverVIPDined on 8/28/2014Nice menu of French cuisine. Solid dishes such as duck breast, hangar steak, braised pork. We had a party of four and everyone's meal war right on. Atmosphere is upscale and artsy to fit the association with the sculpture garden.. Think "Monet dined here". Meals are a bit on the pricey side, but not outrageous. Every time we go to the sculpture garden, we think, "Why don't we come here more often?". I would happily pair each visit with a dinner at Rat's/Special Features:
- Great experience at RatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014When our group arrived we been seated during few minutes Our waiter was very polite and gave as a menu and explained specials. Food was very good We all order an onion soup and it was delicious. Also I love shrimp salad with amazing dressing. Recommend it to anyone who loves shrimps and saladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014a delightful experience - pleasurable to the eye and the palateSpecial Features:
- Wonderful place to celebrate!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Rat's is a great place to celebrate a special occasion such as birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc. The atmosphere is very unique and the seating is comfortable, the food is unique and tasty, and the wait staff is very attentive and welcoming. I always enjoy coming to your restaurant. Keep doing what you are doing, as you are very different from other restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rats was rattyGailDined on 8/28/2014Have dined here in the past and enjoyed it. This time, however, the service was slow and disinterested. Had to find a waiter to find our waiter who had disappeared. The food not worth the wait.
- Lunch in Monet's GardenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014It was a beautiful day! We sat with friends and the view was spectacular. We enjoyed our lunch which was made even tastier by the scenery.Special Features:
- Just Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014This rustic gem really hit the spot. Took my sister here for her birthday. Dined overlooking another dining area, quiet and private, and great service. We did the "Dinner and a Stroll". My sister had the salmon, and I had the pork. Both meals were delicious. The kale salad appetizer and the chocolate cake and Creme Brulee were amazing too. Also many free samples during our experience such as watermelon gazpacho, which was delicious, along with fluffy pop overs and a variety of dessert morsels! Top that all off with a walk through gardens, water features and beautiful sculptures! Was a fantastic evening. We will be coming back with the rest of our family. Can't wait to try every dish on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beatrice EdelmanbubbabeaDined on 8/27/2014I thought that the lunch menu was ordinary and not outstanding. Cobb salad and elaborate hamburger can be on any menu that does not have the reputation that RATS has, and maybe once had. Maybe they are banking on the visitors to the Sculpture Garden, but I suggest that they reinvent their menu to a higher caliber of a selection.
- Lovely lunch spotNewbieVIPDined on 8/26/2014I took my elderly parents to Rat's for lunch after a visit to Grounds for Sculpture. I had made a reservation well in advance, which was a good thing, as the walk-in wait was 90 minutes -- on a Tuesday. Everyone from the hostess to the server to the manager and bussers was patient and kind as we settled in. Marie, our server, was fantastic - took our drinks order and answered questions promptly, guided us well. Burrata salad to start was excellent; we all had the seafood salad special (trout, that day, beautifully cooked and presented); Dad loved his blackberry parfait, my ice creams (strawberry-balsamic, plum, and pineapple-jalapeno) were different and delicious. Good coffee, too! Not a cheap lunch, but well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, atmosphere and foodRatsAugDined on 8/23/2014Excellent! Great service, atmosphere and food. Would come back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Perfect in every way!kaylaartistDined on 8/23/2014Spent the day at Grounds for Sculpture with friends and having read reviews, made reservations for lunch. Everything was wonderful. The grounds were more lovely than I imagined and everything about Rats was perfect, if expensive. But sometimes you get what you pay for. It was only drizzling, but sitting outside under cover was perfect as we looked over "Monet's' lilypond. The service was impeccable, as was the food. Fresh and tasty! And try one of their special cocktails! MMMM.Special Features:
- Friday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I went to Rats for dinner on Friday, 8/22 after debating going into New York or Princeton. We have been there before and know the setting is beautiful and the food is mediocre, sometimes slightly about average. This night was a terrible experience. The service was slow, long wait initially, then a longer wait between courses. No refilling of water, and a long wait to order a second glass of wine then a very long wait to get the wine (almost when we were finishing our meal) and the meal (salmon) was overcooked and hard (about the consistency of tuna fish in a can). As we were 3/4 of the way through this grueling experience we wished we were at Contes eating pizza.
- Always a special treatPhDTigressVIPDined on 8/21/2014I have dined many times at Rat's -- and held my last birthday party there -- and the experience is always enchanting. The setting is glorious, the service is impeccable, and the cuisine is inventive and well-prepared. My husband and I took advantage of the summer prix-fixe special, which is a true bargain. I enjoyed a kale salad, a generous piece of perfectly prepared salmon, and a tasty selection of house-made sorbets. The wine offerings are varied and the prices are very fair.Special Features:
- Fantastic setting and foodLovetoeatDined on 8/21/2014Unusual setting with great food for a special occasion. Artwork, fountains, ponds, all in view while dining on great food.Special Features:
- Raves for RatsAliensbfDined on 8/21/2014Delightful lunch by the pond and waterfall. Delicious food, attentive service. We came by early and they were very accommodating to find us a table.Special Features:
- First time, great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014An outstanding lunch, service/staff expertise and courtesy was great, food was delicious.Special Features:
- artesqDined on 8/19/2014Slightly disappointed in entrees, but dessert (cheesecake mousse in coconut tuille cookie shell) more than made up for that! Didn't want that particular experience/sensation to end!Special Features:
- Nature likeGiniDined on 8/19/2014Your park is an escape from reality. I found it peaceful, entertaining, fun and kept me guessing. I am astonished on how Seward Johnson's creative mind is so energized! He must be a fascinating person to meet...would like to some day! I am an artist myself..and find his creativity a new experience each time I come. Rats is equally fascinating in every aspect. Always enjoy my experience !Special Features:
- Great food and a lovely enviromentLarryVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our first visit to Rat's. We had lunch after strolling through the Grounds for Sculpture. The lunch was outstanding and the view was great. Lunch capped off a lovely day.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceRyanmaxDined on 8/19/2014Loved our dining at Rats with my family. We so enjoyed eating in the beautiful restaurant. The atmosphere allows you to feel relaxed and soak in the inviting outdoors. Looking forward to going back real soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerJoffieDined on 8/16/2014This was a perfect location for an anniversary dinner. The service is impeccable, very attentive and knowledgeable without being pretentious or too stuffy. Ambience is lovely, a beautiful setting. We sat inside as we wanted a more private and quieter location. but the outside looked beautiful. All our food was excellent, lovely ingredients and done well, one appetizer was not as warm as I would have liked, but I did not complain, I am sure they would have changed it if I had. There was a good selection of wine and cocktails? Expensive, but not for the quality of the restaurant. We went into the sculpture garden afterwards (you do need to pay admission) and that was a wonderful end to a great meal.Special Features:
- over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Rats has quite a reputation. This is my second time eating there. I think it's over rated. Overpriced, not enough selection for lunch, too much "arty" food choices.Special Features:
- Kj05288Dined on 8/15/2014food was great they did make us wait ten minutes past reservation time bar was packedSpecial Features:
- Rats great atmosphere no veggiesGirlsniteoutDined on 8/15/2014We took a group to Rats . Ordered every vegetarian appetizer on the menu. Waitress also suggested the vegetable risotto which wasn't on the menu. Unfortunately no vegetarian ( no egg or meat) entrees. Perhaps there should've been some. Enjoyed walking the grounds. Beware $15 entry fee, $10 for students wi/ ID . Late night, bathrooms needed attention. All the toilet paper was gone by 11pm and paper towels on floor. Otherwise a memorable occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPECTACULAR!Healthnut1Dined on 8/14/2014What a wonderful day........the people are so nice and the ART and creativity is so engaging! Loved every minute. The food was THE best. I have never had such juicy, tender lambchops.......wow! We were celebrating a 29th anniversary...what a nice memory! The grounds are incredible...so inspiring....will have to go back again, though, the park is so large! Can't wait!Special Features:
- Great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Took my mom and aunt to the Grounds for Sculpture. Had reserved RATS for a late lunch. I was surprised to learn all of the food is grown locally, including the chickens which came from a farm I am familiar with. I had a salad, Mom had a salad and my Aunt had the chicken salad sandwich. Such hearty portions and everything was terrific. Especially loved the seasonal drinks that were non alcoholic (since I had to drive home). They were all made with no sugar so they were healthy, just fruits in them. Really enjoyed it so much, I am going back this week with my cousin to see the Sculpture Gardens and enjoy another terrific lunch! Looking forward to it!Special Features:
- Farm to Table FreshVan15Dined on 8/14/2014Grounds for Sculpture is the place to go for a nice outing and Rats restaurant is the place to eat, drink and relax during or after your stroll around the grounds. Reservations are a MUST!, Request an outside table if you want. We sat in the bar area, which was somewhat noisy, but so well decorated. They have a choice of refreshing non- alcoholic drinks or interesting cocktails besides beer and wine. The onion soup was cheesy and we share it among three people. Salads so fresh, mussels well done and turkey sandwich delicious. Nate the server was on top of everything. You can also access the restaurant without going to sculpture garden.Special Features:
- SUZQDined on 8/14/2014Beautiful as ever and the food did not disappoint. I had requested to eat in the main dining area since I was traveling with a senior and they seated us in the dining area nearest the bar-- it still is nice there but not what I had requested. I know better to make a reservation way in advance for Rats and they did not honor this request even with the advance notice. I frequent rats and would not hesitate to recommend. RESERVATIONS a must if you expect to eat here well in advance and check website for restaurant closure dates for special events!Special Features:
- Rat A Tat TatTeakDined on 8/14/2014Charming, romantic, unique and artful, story book setting. A dish like a wish. A server with fervor. A view to delight the eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!VhovsDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I had lunch at Rat's before going to the Grounds for Sculpture. For apps we had the cheese and charcuterie, both of which were excellent. For entrees we had the mussels and the rabbit ragout. The mussels were among the best we've eaten, and the rabbit was perfectly seasoned and cooked. We finished off by sharing the strawberry rhubarb soup, which was the perfect dessert. The food was excellent, the service very good and I would recommend Rat's highly. The Grounds for Sculpture is a nice way to finish off, with a little walk and some very interesting art.Special Features: