Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
16 Fairgrounds Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ratsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6095847800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5pm - 9pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 11am - 3:00pm*
Sunday Lunch: 11am - 5:30pm*
*Please note: Reservations for Sunday are not available on line; please contact the restaurant directly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Scott Swiderski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rat’s Restaurant and Ground For Sculpture offers a full complement of resources and services for a wide range of social, private, and corporate functions. So many events—from weddings and holiday parties to meetings & trade shows have been inspired by the unique interplay of nature and art. Only the unparalleled service and dedicated staff’s attention to detail rival the setting itself. Rat's provides award-winning menus for groups up to 200 with flexible space and tiered food and beverage packages that may be customized to your specific need and budget
A word from Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
A relaxing and exotic escape featuring delightful cuisine, spectacular views and elegant ambiance, Rat’s Restaurant is the perfect dining destination. Named for the fabled entertaining character in Kenneth Graham’s children’s classic, The Wind in the Willows, Rat’s Restaurant is designed to give visitors the sense they have stepped into a village reminiscent of the impressionist painter Claude Monet’s beloved town of Giverny. From the moment you arrive you’ll see why this extraordinarily charming venue is a favorite for fine dining, celebrations and corporate events. Rustic fireplaces, country French cuisine, seasonal hand-crafted cocktails and an eclectic beer and wine list are just the beginning. Regarded as one of the most romantic restaurants in our region, Rat’s was named Philadelphia Magazine’s “Most Romantic Restaurant. Rat's Restaurant and catering is proudly managed by Stephen Starr EventsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture reviews from OpenTable diners
510 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (349)special occasion (342)scenic view (341)romantic (275)fit for foodies (266)great for lunch (263)good for groups (118)great for brunch (104)notable wine list (91)neighborhood gem (86)hot spot (35)kid-friendly (26)vibrant bar scene (26)late-night find (12)Show More
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2014This was my second time dinning there, and I was looking forward to it, but I was disappointed, I dont think I will be going back.
- SpoectularOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014This was my second time and my Girlfriend first. We had a wonderful time and will definitely return. The pace was great as we had ample to thoroughly enjoy our five course sampler. It was great date night experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect location, poor servicefoodieNYDined on 10/25/2014The scenic views of this place are out of this world! The restaurant - not so much. We were greeted by a very nice set of hosts who were extremely accommodating with setting up our table and offering paper and crayons to our kids. Now, the waitress was a completely different story. She was a robot with no emotion, zero facial expression. Someone anxiously waiting until her shift is over. I felt she was bothered when my daughter ordered one type of juice and immediately changed her mind to another. Overall food was mediocre. Bland appetizers, french fries overly fried yet a very good bloody Mary. Given its scenic views this place would be good for nothing more then a glass of wine.Special Features:
- octbdaygirlDined on 10/24/2014It was a magical day. Walked the garden for an hour before dinner. We were promptly seated in line with our reservation. Our server Bill was open & friendly, knowledgeable about the menu and wine list and offered good conversation when we wanted it. Onion soup was fabulous as were the mussels. Both our fish entrees were delicious...the bread and popover, a pleasant surprise. We returned to the garden for a night time view, which we hadn't experienced on our previous visits...Spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingbeastnj69Dined on 10/24/2014this place is great for a romantic dinner, the food is well done and presentation is wonderful. I would recommend the place to anyone whoasks.Special Features:
- Gorgeous with great foodJustXlnsDined on 10/24/2014I'll start off with the complaint, just to get it out of the way. You probably don't need reservations on a weekday, no matter what Open Table says. I made them the day before a Friday visit, and OT said the closest I could get to a regular lunch reservation was 2:30. I took it, but figured I'd end up canceling, because we wouldn't want to stay that long. But, we were pleasantly surprised by the loveliness of the GFS that we were still there as it was getting closer to our time. We arrived quite early and there were plenty of tables available and the maitre'd didn't even ask if we had reservations. We'd also been by earlier during a tour and noted that there were empty tables. OK - off my rant. And I'm out of space. GO! Loved it.Special Features:
- birthday lunchlulubelleDined on 10/24/2014Having lunch to celebrate a birthday was transformed into a dreamy afternoon, with very good food followed by a stroll on the lovely grounds. The French Onion soup was classic. Burger au fromage (cheeseburger) with shoestring fries would have been enough for two lunches! Cooked perfectly to order. Warm shrimp salad thoroughly enjoyable. With prosecco toast, a couple of drinks and a couple of desserts, the tab excluding tip was around $200 for four. Worth it!@Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The service was rushed. They were very young, inexperienced and nervous. They spilled a drink on the table. It took a long time to get service. They were pleasant but little unorganized for the cost of the food.Special Features:
- xbellguyxbellguyDined on 10/22/2014Took my wife for her Birthday and was treated to a wonderful experience. Beautiful grounds, excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall perfect dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Impressively prepared delicious food the way memere would make it. Beautiful and rustic. Smoked duck a MUST. Wine pairings A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrslampertDined on 10/18/2014The meal overall was very good. One entree and one appetizer were served less than optimally hot. The lobster of the lobster crepe seemed as if it may not have been very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfulcs123Dined on 10/18/2014After a most intriguing day at the Grounds for Sculpture our dining experience was delightful. The food delicious, the wait staff accommodating, and the atmosphere charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- October lunchdinnerDined on 10/17/2014Delightful way to spend a fall with a Friday lunch sitting outside overlooking the gardens. Food was excellent. Service was very good- two waiters backed each other up to check on how everything was and make sure we had what we wanted. Lunch was a bit pricey but worth it on a terrific day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such. A shamecuttremoDined on 10/15/2014My friend and had been planning the dinner for awhile , we only get to see each other once in awhile . We walked in and thought this is going to be great . We had a very nice waiter and we started with a great glass of wine and ordered. As we started to talk the next thing we knew our dinner was here , no time to taste the bread or popovers . We had to stop talking so our dinner wouldn't get cold an d get to eating it . We were very rushed. Next came out the desert menu and we purposely didn't open it so we could talk and clam down after being so rushed . We loved the place and the taste of the food ,would try and give them another try maybe .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenucheckelDined on 10/15/2014I expected more of a menu. A bunch of us were there for lunch. We couldn't use the dinner menu since they prepare ahead of time for lunch only. I would have ordered dessert if waiter had told me before I ordered lunch that you had to wait 15 minutes for a special chocolate dessert. Otherwise food was good and pleasant place to dine.Special Features:
- Myxa33Dined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed our lunch - we had very comfortable table and seats. Our service and the garden view were amazing. The onion soup was delicious. I liked the broiled trout filet.. I did not try other Entrees that my friends had. They said it was good. The New Zealand white wine was delicious! Our Server was very nice and friendly. Thanks for the great day at yr place! Enjoyrd our lunchSpecial Features:
- Fantastic lunch Beautiful locationJoyceNJDined on 10/14/2014Although very pricey, the food and atmosphere were outstanding. Our server Maria was knowledgeable and very helpful. The location can't be beat and on a lovely October day was perfect for dining outside. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening for birthdayDiner98765Dined on 10/11/2014Can't say enough good comments A wonderful evening celebrating a birthday. Good food and service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itMareDined on 10/11/2014I really loved this place. We had the best server who knew everything about the menu, we were seated on time, just everything was marvelous. go!Special Features:
- FabulousEileenMcDined on 10/11/2014We arrived about 15 minutes early and were seated right away. The menu has lots of interesting choices and our waiter did an excellent job. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- excellent but not what it wasnormDined on 10/10/2014OK, I never ordered the '61 Latour Rothschild, but I loved that it was on the wine list. The wine list is pretty extensive and certainly accessible, but no longer extraordinary. The setting is still amazing, though the fog machine in the pond, under the sculpture, wasnt running The food was very good, with some genuinely excellent dishes and a few disappointments, like the strawberry rhubarb soup. Still very good, just a little less extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion.SammyDined on 10/10/2014From the moment we turned onto fairgorunds drive to the time we departed the evening was really nice. The grounds are beautiful, the drinks were good, the reception was warm and welcoming, service was informative and professional and the food was better than expected. All in all one of our most fun anniversary dinner nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodCNBNJ515Dined on 10/10/2014The good was good no complaints. Our waitress was wonderful. Too bad the hostesses, there were about 4 of them were not wonderful. Rude, obnoxious and not helpful. Same goes for the parking valet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014The decor is whimsical but cleverly done and a total immersion into another world. The view from the patio will make you feel like you are seeing what Monet saw when he painted. The service was great and the food very good. We were there at lunch to also see the Grounds For Sculpture and highly recommend doing that as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014I had high hopes, but food was just OK. Service was very good and ambiance was good. We wanted to walk around the Grounds for Sculpture afterwards but we were disappointed that it cost $15 per person after we had just spent a lot on dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Breathtaking with old world charm of the French countryside. Food was delicious and the French onion superb. Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SydneyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Ending to a perfect morning at the Sculpture Garden. GREAT!!!!!Special Features:
- peachesDined on 10/8/2014This is a lovely restaurant. We were at Monet's house in France and it's modeled after it. The grounds and flowers are lovely-wonderful for lunch. We ate inside-outside was booked. The outside is lovely on a nice day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harryVIPDined on 10/8/2014problems with parking - other events filled the lot and accessible parking wasn't available
- Lunch with a view!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014It was great to tour the sculpture park and later lunch outside overlooking the Monet Bridge. Our appetizer of hummus, eggplant, faro and flatbread was wonderful with wine for two of us. We also had their special of trout with salad - It was charming and wonderful!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014It is a rare find in its location. Great for special occasions. I would drive over an hour with no problem to get to this place!Special Features:
- Art + great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014The setting can't be beat - overlooking a reflecting pool and the park beyond. Lots of friendly attention from the staff and yummy,interesting food. We visit GFS just as much for Rats and we do the art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for LunchvidaliaVIPDined on 10/3/2014Stopped for a fabulous lunch before touring the NJ Grounds for Sculpture. Reservations are a must. Lovely setting with well-trained wait staff. Enjoyed the hummus platter with the rest of our table. Incredibly delicious. Onion soup was good, but not outstanding. Lunch was enjoyed with the turkey sandwich, Cobb Salad with Shrimp, and the roasted chicken (Provence style with delicious polenta). Alcoholic drinks were extremely tasty. The pear martini was excellent while the whiskey sour had to be sent back to get more liquor. Then all were happy. The dessert of homemade mini doughnuts with different toppings was outstanding, served warm and well sugared!! Loved the restaurant for dinner, then loved it last week and today for lunch.Special Features:
- Lovely placeLunchlady6Dined on 10/3/2014Perfect place to take my mom visiting from out of tow....good meal followed by sculpture garden tourSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relax during the Grounds tourReuvDined on 10/2/2014The setting is out of Giverny in France. The outdoor dining is truly wonderful with view of the gardens and the Monet bridge, Some of the dishes were excellent (French onion soup, various salads) and the wine was exceptional! Other dishes were good average. Service was good. overall very enjoyable and good valusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceJoeyGVIPDined on 10/1/2014The food is superb. Service is great. The stroll thru the grounds for sculpture is exciting and romantic. The only gripe is that she shouldn't charge dinning customers an entrance fee for the grounds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food in an unusual settingJerrySDined on 10/1/2014The food and service are exceptional. The waiter was friendly, informative and helpful. The food was unusual, even to those of us who have eaten French food before. Even though we got lost on the way to the restaurant, and on the way home, we are definitely going back again. We were sorry to learn that reservations for Sunday brunch have to be made weeks in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotBobADined on 9/30/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere. A very good overall experience for dinner or lunch.Special Features:
- A Magnificent Night!CantgetenoughDined on 9/30/20141st time at Rats but it won't be the last! Dylan our fantastic waiter took us through the exquisite menu step by step pairing together a feast for the ages! A culinary delight and a sensory explosion...from appetizers to desert we could not get enough! Throw in the beautiful scenery on the back patio and it felt like we were in France for sure. Thank you Dylan and Rats for an unforgettable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding decorLesko6Dined on 9/30/2014We went there with two other couples. Great decor. Great waitress. Great food.Special Features: