Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
16 Fairgrounds Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ratsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6095847800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5pm - 9pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 11am - 3:00pm*
Sunday Lunch: 11am - 5:30pm*
*Please note: Reservations for Sunday are not available on line; please contact the restaurant directly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Scott Swiderski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rat’s Restaurant and Ground For Sculpture offers a full complement of resources and services for a wide range of social, private, and corporate functions. So many events—from weddings and holiday parties to meetings & trade shows have been inspired by the unique interplay of nature and art. Only the unparalleled service and dedicated staff’s attention to detail rival the setting itself. Rat's provides award-winning menus for groups up to 200 with flexible space and tiered food and beverage packages that may be customized to your specific need and budget
A word from Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
A relaxing and exotic escape featuring delightful cuisine, spectacular views and elegant ambiance, Rat’s Restaurant is the perfect dining destination. Named for the fabled entertaining character in Kenneth Graham’s children’s classic, The Wind in the Willows, Rat’s Restaurant is designed to give visitors the sense they have stepped into a village reminiscent of the impressionist painter Claude Monet’s beloved town of Giverny. From the moment you arrive you’ll see why this extraordinarily charming venue is a favorite for fine dining, celebrations and corporate events. Rustic fireplaces, country French cuisine, seasonal hand-crafted cocktails and an eclectic beer and wine list are just the beginning. Regarded as one of the most romantic restaurants in our region, Rat’s was named Philadelphia Magazine’s “Most Romantic Restaurant. Rat's Restaurant and catering is proudly managed by Stephen Starr EventsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture reviews from OpenTable diners
539 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (377)great for outdoor dining (373)special occasion (361)romantic (298)great for lunch (281)fit for foodies (260)great for brunch (130)good for groups (114)notable wine list (96)neighborhood gem (92)hot spot (32)kid-friendly (31)vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (19)Show More
- Complete Perfect Date Restaurantchrissie1026Dined on 9/13/2014Perfect for an intimate dinner and small gatherings. Well thought out food ideas with attention to detail in everything. Love making a date with my husband to come here. it is always the perfect evening.Special Features:
- dont' missOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014We've been to Rats many times; our grandson's Bar Mitzvah reception was held there. The food never disappoints. But the selling point is the atmosphere. If you get a chance to go ahead of your reservation, don't miss at least an hours stroll through the gardens.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedJervVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was one of those dinning visits I would like to forget. Bread served was so crisp and burnt it made a pile of crumbs on the table. We never got the popovers most other tables were offered. Ordered Lobster crepe and hanger steak. Crepe came lukewarm. Asked for another and it was only a little hotter. Are they frozen and then heated? Steak came with nice bucket of again, lukewarm french fries. After all this I have to report the hanger steak was, to me and another of our party, inedible. It was sooo salty tasting we both gave it back and ended up having the reheated french fries for my entree. I reported this to the manager, who gave me a very weak " I'm sorry" and walked away with the food in hand. She never came back to explain.Special Features:
- In one word Awesome!ljdinesVIPDined on 9/13/2014We ate outside and enjoyed a beautiful view in complete solitude as it was probably considered to be too cool by the other dinners - their loss. We had delicious food and excellent service. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- Rats & GFSGrandmaCandy3Dined on 9/13/2014This is my go to place to take friends for a special day. Always magic always fun. So appreciate that Seward Johnson did this lovely thing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Everything was great but the noise level near the bar (where we were placed) made speaking difficult. One member has difficulty speaking up and so decided not to participate in lunch conversation at all. Reservations on line was very easy, but there should be a place for requesting the table location especially for the handicapped individual.Special Features:
- Anniversary LunchAndyDined on 9/13/2014We went there for an anniversary lunch. We strolled around the Grounds for Sculpture for a few hours and then ended up at the restaurant. It was a wonderful way to spend the day. At the restaurant the food was very enjoyable and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerPattiDined on 9/12/20144 went for dinner and all of us had an excellent meal. My lamb chops were done to perfection, we all agreed we want come back again. Nice wine list, waitress was very attentive and great atmosphere. Was not nearly as pricey as I was warned, I felt the food and dinning experience was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningaudreyslateDined on 9/12/2014We had dinner at Rats Restaurant after touring the Grounds for Sculpture exhibit. The lobster crepe was delicious and the Lamb Chops (on the specials for the evening) were the best I have every tasted. They lamb was lean and very tender and the spices were perfect. We also had the smoked duck breast which was very good. I would recommend this restaurant for a lovely evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeTbonitaDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant was magical in both ambience and food. We had simple lunch made special. Sat out with the ducks looking out onto monets bridge. 5 stars all the way. Get the cream cheese mousse for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Perfect!GraceDined on 9/12/2014RATS is a wonderful dining experience . Great service from being greeted to the end of your meal. I wish there were more around the state!Special Features:
- Always a special occasion at Rats!BobbyVIPDined on 9/12/2014When we visit the Sculpture Garden, we always stop for lunch at Rat's! Today we had a lovely table outdoors opposite the Monet Bridge (normally we are not big fans of eating 'al fresco' but we are glad we made the exception this day!) My husband and I started off sharing the Mezze appetizer which was an excellent array of olives, hummus, pepper and parmesan dip (a real treat!). I had one of the specials of the day--the trout which was a delicious preparation and my husband had the provencal chicken with polenta which literally melted in his mouth. For dessert we shared molten cake which was outstanding. We had a Caifornia Chardonay, all this, combined with a perfect day and great service,it was a highlight of our visit to the Garden.Special Features:
- Great PlacePattyDined on 9/12/2014This was our third time to the Rat's Restaurant. We just love it. The food, ambiance, and service is always excellent. We will be back and we tell our friends about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchMajqueen53Dined on 9/12/2014We had a lovely lunch on the patio. Service was friendly and attentive. the four of us ordered mussels & a burrata/tomato salad to share. Both were delicious and portion sizes were more than adequate. Then we shared 2 sandwiches.Special Features:
- J62114Dined on 9/12/2014What can I say that hasn't already been said. I felt like I was transported to a getaway in Europe. Our food was excellent , the scenery was ideal and with the Grounds for Sculpture nearby, nothing could be better.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great Serviceanliz6Dined on 9/11/2014Wonderful ambiance, excellent cuisine, superior service, friendly staff. What more can you ask?Special Features:
- NOT SURE IF I WOULD GO BACKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Had reservation for 3:15 but got there at 2:00, asked if we could go in early if seats became available, but they kept taking walk-in's and putting them on the waiting list and seating them before us even though we were sitting right there. So reservation be damned, go on the waiting list. The tables were way to close to each other, even if you whispered you could hear you neighbor talking. May have been better in the dinning room. Had a burger, cooked perfect, but had brown spots on lettuce, came with regular old fries, nothing special. My husband had a corn beef sandwich with cheese and coleslaw on it served on Russian Bread. Bread was way to thick for him, and a side of potato salad. I was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rat's restaurantjoyfullyyoursDined on 9/10/2014Pleasantly surprised. Very enjoyable. loved, loved dining with the ducks that wandered in. Bread was so thick the meat should have matched the pastrami sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oasis in the Grounds for ScultureGarnetDined on 9/9/2014Began our day with a walk through the garden and Rats is a perfect place to take a break from the day and resume our tour. Great food and service in a country French atmosphere. Good drinks and reasonable lunch. Dessert choices, however, were disappointing.Special Features:
- nice lunch at the sculpture gardenlylemDined on 9/9/2014As an intriducton to the Grounds for Sculpture Rats was a nice stop. Nice menu, good food and excellent service. A bit pricey but ok for a first visit. Alternative is caferteria type service, which also looked good.Special Features:
- Great experience.FransaysDined on 9/6/2014Looking forward to visiting again for brunch or lunch and touring the grounds during daylight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RatsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014While we enjoyed the meal, the ambiance and service ware poor. We were seated near the door to the GOS and people came from GOS and just stood around not knowing were to go to find a hostess and the staff just stared at them. It is not an enjoyable meal with people hanging around your table, leaning on your chair, etc.. The service: while we were still eating the busboy came and starting clearing plates from our table and then he took a pitcher of wine with at least one glass left. We asked him to return it but he ignored us and went on his way. While the food is above average, returning there is not high on our list.Special Features:
- ExcellentFamily5Dined on 9/6/2014We were seated immediately, server was attentive, and food was delicious.Special Features:
- SceneryMertDined on 9/5/2014Great spot for viewing some amazing sculptures before or after dinner. It looks like a French Chateau and is warm and inviting. Very cozy bar with plenty of drink options and a reasonable happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hats off to Rats!CMC1VIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything about this restaurant from decor to ambiance to service to food was outstanding. It may be a little expensive but the experience is worth it. Not only do they provide bread and oil but they also give you a popover with scallion butter, free appetizer and small dessert bites with your bill. Even if you are not visiting the Grounds for Sculpture, you need to visit Rats.Special Features:
- enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014we like the setting--grounds for sculpture--the food, the ambiance, the service. overall, a great place for lunch. haven't tried dinner there yet but will wait till the 'season' slows down a bit. in another matter...open table phone app leaves a lot to be desired. had to make reservation via my computer. I thought a recent revision had partially solved the problem, but it is obtuse as it is right now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific for Special OccasionsprofawDined on 9/3/2014Rats is a real treat ... bring your adventurous appetite. My favorite NJ restaurant since Joe Brown's Melange in Haddonfield closed :(Special Features:
- the only dissapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Rats sits on the Grounds for Sculpture. In the past, restaurant patrons were able to stroll (with drink in hand) on a pathway which leads in a semicircle to and from the restaurant. Fantastic sculptures, plantings and evening lighting are along this pathway. It is part of the joy of the experience of dining at Rats. This beautiful quiet walk is only available now with an additional $15.00 per person surcharge. A reduced fee is more appropriate if you are dining at Rats. We traveled an hour to dine here because it is more than just a pretty place to have a beautiful meal. We can certainly find just as beautiful food closer to home if that 's all there is to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful GroundsFinedinerDined on 9/2/2014The outside landscaping and life like sculptures are amazing. Walking around the grounds is like walking into an impressionist painting. Taking pictures posing with the figures is a must. There is outside dining. They have side rooms for groups. The lunch time menu is small and not very unique. Many wines are available but I am not a wine drinker so I don't know about the quality. I had a sparkling wine which I really liked. The room was very noisy and conversation was a challenge. Inside dining is not for romantics. Our server was inexperience and not attentive. Small bars, not for young people looking for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was lovelyNJSanDiegoconnectionDined on 8/30/2014Our meals were quite satisfying, however we felt the menu was lacking in variety or vegetarian selections, and it was difficult to choose. Maybe some more pasta, risotto or salads would round out the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food, Questionable AmbianceBunniestBunnyDined on 8/30/2014We have eaten at Rat's in the past, and chose this NJ gem to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I made our reservation weeks in advance. MY ONLY request was that we would like a quiet table, noting our anniversary. I will say that the food was outstanding, and our server was very sweet. We were sat first in a dining room upstairs with a large, loud party directly in front of us. We asked to be moved, and were put in another room with smaller tables. Once those tables left, our room was taken over by staff who began setting up a table of 14. When we went downstairs on our way out, the downstairs dining room was serene and pleasant, full of parties of two and four. It was definitely not the intimate, romantic night we had planned...Special Features:
- Lovely summer nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Pair the evening with a walk through Grounds For Sculpture. Delicious food. The menu lacked some traditional French faire. Would have loved escargot this evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulLuv2dineDined on 8/30/2014We dine here when we visit the Grounds for Sculpture, but it's good enough to make a special trip just for the restaurant itself. The Provencal Mezze appetizer is delicious. The dessert doughnuts were to die for. The service was excellent. We have had less than good service there in the past, but we were always eating late -- go early if you can, the service is a lot better than later.Special Features:
- MuffyDined on 8/30/2014This my favorite place for dinner after spending the day at Grounds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchSuehessDined on 8/30/2014Beautiful atmosphere! Food was fair. Not as good as I remember in past experience. Server was great. We had a long lunch and did not feel rushed. Coffee and donuts were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Priceless!MarilouVIPDined on 8/30/2014Dining at Rat's is a priceless experience worth repeating as often as possible! Satisfyingly tasty food, refreshing drinks, and warm hospitality - ingredients for exceptional dining! The restaurant was busy and bustling, but it had a positive and relaxing energy inspite of the crowd. Though some may find the restaurant expensive, it is worth every dollar from appetizers to desserts. We will be back in the Fall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patrsDined on 8/29/2014I was only disappointed that we had to sit inside. A!though I made reservation And requested outside I was told outside was first come first served. I would have changed my plans accordinglySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatDined on 8/29/2014It was a wonderful experience to eat I. Your restaurant. The food was delicious and the service excellent! The mist and the ducks added to the peaceful surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive waiterstreatmeDined on 8/29/2014Our waiter was unarguably the best. He is a true professional and his care for the customer came through again and again. He seemed genuinely happy to serve. He helped us overcome the slightly nonchalant greeting we received upon entering and made the dining experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and setting, BUT . . .jspressVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had a late (3:00 pm) lunch on the Friday before Labor Day on the outside patio. Big mistake! The service was atrocious! Each time the server came to our table--which wasn't often--he apologized for the delay. The delay was all his--15 minutes from being seated to his approaching our table; 15 more minutes to take our order; 15 more minutes to get beverages. Note that the kitchen was quite prompt once the order went it. Also, the management should rope off the patio dining area for guests only. It's hard to enjoy the meal or the amazing setting with someone's toddlers racing around your table or a loving couple banging into your chair while smooching for a photo. The positives—outstanding food, as always, and a beautiful garden.Special Features: