Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
16 Fairgrounds Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ratsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (609) 584-7800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5pm - 9pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 11am - 3:00pm*
Sunday Lunch: 11am - 5:30pm*
*Please note: Reservations for Sunday are not available on line; please contact the restaurant directly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Scott Swiderski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rat’s Restaurant and Ground For Sculpture offers a full complement of resources and services for a wide range of social, private, and corporate functions. So many events—from weddings and holiday parties to meetings & trade shows have been inspired by the unique interplay of nature and art. Only the unparalleled service and dedicated staff’s attention to detail rival the setting itself. Rat's provides award-winning menus for groups up to 200 with flexible space and tiered food and beverage packages that may be customized to your specific need and budget
A word from Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
A relaxing and exotic escape featuring delightful cuisine, spectacular views and elegant ambiance, Rat’s Restaurant is the perfect dining destination. Named for the fabled entertaining character in Kenneth Graham’s children’s classic, The Wind in the Willows, Rat’s Restaurant is designed to give visitors the sense they have stepped into a village reminiscent of the impressionist painter Claude Monet’s beloved town of Giverny. From the moment you arrive you’ll see why this extraordinarily charming venue is a favorite for fine dining, celebrations and corporate events. Rustic fireplaces, country French cuisine, seasonal hand-crafted cocktails and an eclectic beer and wine list are just the beginning. Regarded as one of the most romantic restaurants in our region, Rat’s was named Philadelphia Magazine’s “Most Romantic Restaurant. Rat's Restaurant and catering is proudly managed by Stephen Starr EventsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture reviews from OpenTable diners
462 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (310)great for outdoor dining (306)scenic view (297)fit for foodies (250)romantic (242)great for lunch (241)good for groups (115)notable wine list (87)great for brunch (86)neighborhood gem (84)hot spot (36)vibrant bar scene (27)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (13)Show More
- Worth every penny!MarissaDined on 11/22/2014The food is incredible and the service is outstanding. During our meal we received two complimentary appetizers that were just amazing. I highly recommend the Spanish grilled octopus - i have never had anything like it. After our dinner and dessert, the waitress overhead that it was my birthday and brought an additional plate of desserts with the words Happy Birthday written in chocolate, all on the house. It was so sweet and our waitress was extremely friendly, helpful, and accommodating. I cannot wait for my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French and Moroccan OasisL2D2Dined on 11/15/2014You are truly transported away. The restaurant's ambience lives up to the experience in the gardens, and the service is impeccable. The drinks are as creative as the items on the menu. A truly memorable experience. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donnaDined on 11/15/2014Wonderful dining experience in every way. The restaurant is beautiful, the menu interesting, and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Fun & Icing on the cake.JohnnyJZoneVIPDined on 11/15/2014We went with friends to see the sculptures. After a brisk walk in 40 degree sunny weather, cozying up with friends in this warm setting was welcome enough but the good and service was exceptional. Hector, waiter, made us feel so welcome and guided us well through the specials and menu. We don't usually order dessert (really true) but since we were with friends and ROME wanted dessert, we ordered a variety to share. AMAZING! The Pastry Chef is to be complimentented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding!rh01Dined on 11/13/2014wonderful food and service, amazing decor etc. best to have a small party and take your time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstReviewDined on 11/12/2014Charming interior. We sat on the patio with heaters since it was a beautiful Fall day. I chose the turkey sandwich; it was a bit uninteresting but okay. The potato salad with it had too much mayonnaise for my taste. The waitress made up for the food by making our luncheon special with an unsolicited birthday candlelit dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance and LocationRetpsychVIPDined on 11/11/2014This is a charming, unique looking restaurant in an absolutely gorgeous setting. Unfortunately, the food and service don't quite live up to the atmosphere. Even with a reservation, it seems routine to have to wait for a table. Some menu items are very good. Others are very mediocre. It almost doesn't matter, however, because it's so delightful to sit there.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Nothing negative to say about this place at all. 1.5 hour drive from NYC and really worth the trip.Special Features:
- A Real Provincal FeelDelawareSteveDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant in the Grounds For Sculpture park is the perfect place to enjoy an authentic French provincial meal. The ambiance can't be beat and the wait staff are attentive and knowledgeable. The lunch menu had lots of good choices which made it hard to decide. I chose the Mouclade steamed PEI mussels with carrots, potato, leek, saffron, white wine, garlic, cream, grilled baguette. One of the best mussel dishes I have ever had. I can't wait to go pack to the restaurant and to the park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Dinner!SendraakDined on 11/7/2014The best anniversary dinner in our 44 years! Food, wine, service, and atmosphere, especially the romantic fire place and suspended candle at the table, absolutely the best! (Helpful that it is late autumn, off-season, so no crowds.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once and doneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I booked a reservation for lunch due to receiving a gift card from a friend. I wasn't crazy about the food at all. It was fair but there are so many other choices in the area for better meals. Thank you.
- popular butCeeSeeVIPDined on 11/7/2014this time a disappointment. Food was not as good as our last visit in August. Soup of the day was like a cafeteria recipe, thick salty and short of expectation. French onion soup was at least as expected... delicious. Poached chicken salad was not presented well and not tasty. Turkey sandwich had soggy bacon. Very different from last time. The desserts saved the day, Apple creme brulee was delightful. The chocolate "lava" cake was a great imitation of Jean Georges original. Thought prices were reasonable too but should be as good a value if not better than it is rated. Chose it for a special celebration for an out of towner. We were let down. Will not go back for a long while. If only there was an alternative nearby.Special Features:
- Great Birthday lunchBeaneaterDined on 11/6/2014Food, ambiance and service were great! The waiter was very personable and views were beautiful in this stunning restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem amid the sculpturesJCDinersDined on 11/4/2014Had lunch while visiting the Center For Sculpture. Very scenic overlooking the reproduction of Monet's water Lilly Pond and bridge. The food and service was outstanding. The Mussels were one of the best that I have ever had.Special Features:
- Hidden GemLisaDined on 10/31/2014This is a fantastic restaurant right next to sculptured gardens. I've come so often and have always had fantastic food and great service.Special Features:
- CherieDined on 10/29/2014We have traveled extensively in France, from Paris to Nice and all thru the Provence are. I fell that our entrees did not have the flavors I had expected. My husband had the trout and although the fish had what appeared a mixture of whatever on top the fish itself was quite bland, as I sampled it myself. Perhaps the Chef tries too hard to provide vegetarian and or what he fells are French dishes, I think he should go to some of the traditional French dishes that are tried and true. The limited seasoning and use of sugar (in the desserts) may appeal to some customers but not all.
- hgurlDined on 10/29/2014The restaurant was crowded when we arrived at 12:45PM for lunch and the atmosphere, convivial. Despsite being very busy the service was excellent and the food very good. The mezze platter was a standout appetizer and very plentiful for 2 or even 3 people. Our other food selectons were first rate. This was our anniversary celebration and we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Good food,service,romantic ambiancevalleeparkingDined on 10/28/2014My husband is French so he was thrilled to find some dishes from home. The atmosphere is so relaxing, with gorgeous scenery and tasteful decor. The service was very professional and friendly. Our only critique is there is little for non-meat eaters- our daughter is vegan and we managed, but there's not a lot of choice ( even in seafood). Carnivores will be delighted with the choices from duck to rabbit to beef however, and good wines to go with them. It was our first time dining there and well worth the trip. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2014This was my second time dinning there, and I was looking forward to it, but I was disappointed, I dont think I will be going back.
- SpoectularOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014This was my second time and my Girlfriend first. We had a wonderful time and will definitely return. The pace was great as we had ample to thoroughly enjoy our five course sampler. It was great date night experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect location, poor servicefoodieNYDined on 10/25/2014The scenic views of this place are out of this world! The restaurant - not so much. We were greeted by a very nice set of hosts who were extremely accommodating with setting up our table and offering paper and crayons to our kids. Now, the waitress was a completely different story. She was a robot with no emotion, zero facial expression. Someone anxiously waiting until her shift is over. I felt she was bothered when my daughter ordered one type of juice and immediately changed her mind to another. Overall food was mediocre. Bland appetizers, french fries overly fried yet a very good bloody Mary. Given its scenic views this place would be good for nothing more then a glass of wine.Special Features:
- octbdaygirlDined on 10/24/2014It was a magical day. Walked the garden for an hour before dinner. We were promptly seated in line with our reservation. Our server Bill was open & friendly, knowledgeable about the menu and wine list and offered good conversation when we wanted it. Onion soup was fabulous as were the mussels. Both our fish entrees were delicious...the bread and popover, a pleasant surprise. We returned to the garden for a night time view, which we hadn't experienced on our previous visits...Spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingbeastnj69Dined on 10/24/2014this place is great for a romantic dinner, the food is well done and presentation is wonderful. I would recommend the place to anyone whoasks.Special Features:
- Gorgeous with great foodJustXlnsDined on 10/24/2014I'll start off with the complaint, just to get it out of the way. You probably don't need reservations on a weekday, no matter what Open Table says. I made them the day before a Friday visit, and OT said the closest I could get to a regular lunch reservation was 2:30. I took it, but figured I'd end up canceling, because we wouldn't want to stay that long. But, we were pleasantly surprised by the loveliness of the GFS that we were still there as it was getting closer to our time. We arrived quite early and there were plenty of tables available and the maitre'd didn't even ask if we had reservations. We'd also been by earlier during a tour and noted that there were empty tables. OK - off my rant. And I'm out of space. GO! Loved it.Special Features:
- birthday lunchlulubelleDined on 10/24/2014Having lunch to celebrate a birthday was transformed into a dreamy afternoon, with very good food followed by a stroll on the lovely grounds. The French Onion soup was classic. Burger au fromage (cheeseburger) with shoestring fries would have been enough for two lunches! Cooked perfectly to order. Warm shrimp salad thoroughly enjoyable. With prosecco toast, a couple of drinks and a couple of desserts, the tab excluding tip was around $200 for four. Worth it!@Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOk4lunchDined on 10/24/2014The service was rushed. They were very young, inexperienced and nervous. They spilled a drink on the table. It took a long time to get service. They were pleasant but little unorganized for the cost of the food.Special Features:
- xbellguyxbellguyDined on 10/22/2014Took my wife for her Birthday and was treated to a wonderful experience. Beautiful grounds, excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall perfect dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Impressively prepared delicious food the way memere would make it. Beautiful and rustic. Smoked duck a MUST. Wine pairings A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrslampertDined on 10/18/2014The meal overall was very good. One entree and one appetizer were served less than optimally hot. The lobster of the lobster crepe seemed as if it may not have been very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfulcs123Dined on 10/18/2014After a most intriguing day at the Grounds for Sculpture our dining experience was delightful. The food delicious, the wait staff accommodating, and the atmosphere charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- October lunchdinnerDined on 10/17/2014Delightful way to spend a fall with a Friday lunch sitting outside overlooking the gardens. Food was excellent. Service was very good- two waiters backed each other up to check on how everything was and make sure we had what we wanted. Lunch was a bit pricey but worth it on a terrific day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such. A shamecuttremoDined on 10/15/2014My friend and had been planning the dinner for awhile , we only get to see each other once in awhile . We walked in and thought this is going to be great . We had a very nice waiter and we started with a great glass of wine and ordered. As we started to talk the next thing we knew our dinner was here , no time to taste the bread or popovers . We had to stop talking so our dinner wouldn't get cold an d get to eating it . We were very rushed. Next came out the desert menu and we purposely didn't open it so we could talk and clam down after being so rushed . We loved the place and the taste of the food ,would try and give them another try maybe .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenucheckelDined on 10/15/2014I expected more of a menu. A bunch of us were there for lunch. We couldn't use the dinner menu since they prepare ahead of time for lunch only. I would have ordered dessert if waiter had told me before I ordered lunch that you had to wait 15 minutes for a special chocolate dessert. Otherwise food was good and pleasant place to dine.Special Features:
- Myxa33Dined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed our lunch - we had very comfortable table and seats. Our service and the garden view were amazing. The onion soup was delicious. I liked the broiled trout filet.. I did not try other Entrees that my friends had. They said it was good. The New Zealand white wine was delicious! Our Server was very nice and friendly. Thanks for the great day at yr place! Enjoyrd our lunchSpecial Features:
- Fantastic lunch Beautiful locationJoyceNJDined on 10/14/2014Although very pricey, the food and atmosphere were outstanding. Our server Maria was knowledgeable and very helpful. The location can't be beat and on a lovely October day was perfect for dining outside. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening for birthdayDiner98765Dined on 10/11/2014Can't say enough good comments A wonderful evening celebrating a birthday. Good food and service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itMareDined on 10/11/2014I really loved this place. We had the best server who knew everything about the menu, we were seated on time, just everything was marvelous. go!Special Features:
- FabulousEileenMcDined on 10/11/2014We arrived about 15 minutes early and were seated right away. The menu has lots of interesting choices and our waiter did an excellent job. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- a must do!autumn27Dined on 10/10/2014We wanted something different-we got it! This restaurant features delicious food and special atmosphere with beautiful gardens to walk through pre or post eating...a must do!Special Features:
- excellent but not what it wasnormDined on 10/10/2014OK, I never ordered the '61 Latour Rothschild, but I loved that it was on the wine list. The wine list is pretty extensive and certainly accessible, but no longer extraordinary. The setting is still amazing, though the fog machine in the pond, under the sculpture, wasnt running The food was very good, with some genuinely excellent dishes and a few disappointments, like the strawberry rhubarb soup. Still very good, just a little less extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.