Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
16 Fairgrounds Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ratsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6095847800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5pm - 9pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 11am - 3:00pm*
Sunday Lunch: 11am - 5:30pm*
*Please note: Reservations for Sunday are not available on line; please contact the restaurant directly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Scott Swiderski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rat’s Restaurant and Ground For Sculpture offers a full complement of resources and services for a wide range of social, private, and corporate functions. So many events—from weddings and holiday parties to meetings & trade shows have been inspired by the unique interplay of nature and art. Only the unparalleled service and dedicated staff’s attention to detail rival the setting itself. Rat's provides award-winning menus for groups up to 200 with flexible space and tiered food and beverage packages that may be customized to your specific need and budget
A word from Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
A relaxing and exotic escape featuring delightful cuisine, spectacular views and elegant ambiance, Rat’s Restaurant is the perfect dining destination. Named for the fabled entertaining character in Kenneth Graham’s children’s classic, The Wind in the Willows, Rat’s Restaurant is designed to give visitors the sense they have stepped into a village reminiscent of the impressionist painter Claude Monet’s beloved town of Giverny. From the moment you arrive you’ll see why this extraordinarily charming venue is a favorite for fine dining, celebrations and corporate events. Rustic fireplaces, country French cuisine, seasonal hand-crafted cocktails and an eclectic beer and wine list are just the beginning. Regarded as one of the most romantic restaurants in our region, Rat’s was named Philadelphia Magazine’s “Most Romantic Restaurant. Rat's Restaurant and catering is proudly managed by Stephen Starr EventsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture reviews from OpenTable diners
493 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (356)special occasion (341)great for outdoor dining (340)romantic (291)great for lunch (259)fit for foodies (236)great for brunch (138)good for groups (98)notable wine list (90)neighborhood gem (82)kid-friendly (30)vibrant bar scene (28)hot spot (26)late-night find (17)Show More
- Just Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014This rustic gem really hit the spot. Took my sister here for her birthday. Dined overlooking another dining area, quiet and private, and great service. We did the "Dinner and a Stroll". My sister had the salmon, and I had the pork. Both meals were delicious. The kale salad appetizer and the chocolate cake and Creme Brulee were amazing too. Also many free samples during our experience such as watermelon gazpacho, which was delicious, along with fluffy pop overs and a variety of dessert morsels! Top that all off with a walk through gardens, water features and beautiful sculptures! Was a fantastic evening. We will be coming back with the rest of our family. Can't wait to try every dish on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beatrice EdelmanbubbabeaDined on 8/27/2014I thought that the lunch menu was ordinary and not outstanding. Cobb salad and elaborate hamburger can be on any menu that does not have the reputation that RATS has, and maybe once had. Maybe they are banking on the visitors to the Sculpture Garden, but I suggest that they reinvent their menu to a higher caliber of a selection.
- Lovely lunch spotNewbieVIPDined on 8/26/2014I took my elderly parents to Rat's for lunch after a visit to Grounds for Sculpture. I had made a reservation well in advance, which was a good thing, as the walk-in wait was 90 minutes -- on a Tuesday. Everyone from the hostess to the server to the manager and bussers was patient and kind as we settled in. Marie, our server, was fantastic - took our drinks order and answered questions promptly, guided us well. Burrata salad to start was excellent; we all had the seafood salad special (trout, that day, beautifully cooked and presented); Dad loved his blackberry parfait, my ice creams (strawberry-balsamic, plum, and pineapple-jalapeno) were different and delicious. Good coffee, too! Not a cheap lunch, but well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, atmosphere and foodRatsAugDined on 8/23/2014Excellent! Great service, atmosphere and food. Would come back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Perfect in every way!kaylaartistDined on 8/23/2014Spent the day at Grounds for Sculpture with friends and having read reviews, made reservations for lunch. Everything was wonderful. The grounds were more lovely than I imagined and everything about Rats was perfect, if expensive. But sometimes you get what you pay for. It was only drizzling, but sitting outside under cover was perfect as we looked over "Monet's' lilypond. The service was impeccable, as was the food. Fresh and tasty! And try one of their special cocktails! MMMM.Special Features:
- Friday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I went to Rats for dinner on Friday, 8/22 after debating going into New York or Princeton. We have been there before and know the setting is beautiful and the food is mediocre, sometimes slightly about average. This night was a terrible experience. The service was slow, long wait initially, then a longer wait between courses. No refilling of water, and a long wait to order a second glass of wine then a very long wait to get the wine (almost when we were finishing our meal) and the meal (salmon) was overcooked and hard (about the consistency of tuna fish in a can). As we were 3/4 of the way through this grueling experience we wished we were at Contes eating pizza.
- Always a special treatPhDTigressVIPDined on 8/21/2014I have dined many times at Rat's -- and held my last birthday party there -- and the experience is always enchanting. The setting is glorious, the service is impeccable, and the cuisine is inventive and well-prepared. My husband and I took advantage of the summer prix-fixe special, which is a true bargain. I enjoyed a kale salad, a generous piece of perfectly prepared salmon, and a tasty selection of house-made sorbets. The wine offerings are varied and the prices are very fair.Special Features:
- Fantastic setting and foodLovetoeatDined on 8/21/2014Unusual setting with great food for a special occasion. Artwork, fountains, ponds, all in view while dining on great food.Special Features:
- Raves for RatsAliensbfDined on 8/21/2014Delightful lunch by the pond and waterfall. Delicious food, attentive service. We came by early and they were very accommodating to find us a table.Special Features:
- First time, great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014An outstanding lunch, service/staff expertise and courtesy was great, food was delicious.Special Features:
- artesqDined on 8/19/2014Slightly disappointed in entrees, but dessert (cheesecake mousse in coconut tuille cookie shell) more than made up for that! Didn't want that particular experience/sensation to end!Special Features:
- Nature likeGiniDined on 8/19/2014Your park is an escape from reality. I found it peaceful, entertaining, fun and kept me guessing. I am astonished on how Seward Johnson's creative mind is so energized! He must be a fascinating person to meet...would like to some day! I am an artist myself..and find his creativity a new experience each time I come. Rats is equally fascinating in every aspect. Always enjoy my experience !Special Features:
- Great food and a lovely enviromentLarryVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our first visit to Rat's. We had lunch after strolling through the Grounds for Sculpture. The lunch was outstanding and the view was great. Lunch capped off a lovely day.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceRyanmaxDined on 8/19/2014Loved our dining at Rats with my family. We so enjoyed eating in the beautiful restaurant. The atmosphere allows you to feel relaxed and soak in the inviting outdoors. Looking forward to going back real soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerJoffieDined on 8/16/2014This was a perfect location for an anniversary dinner. The service is impeccable, very attentive and knowledgeable without being pretentious or too stuffy. Ambience is lovely, a beautiful setting. We sat inside as we wanted a more private and quieter location. but the outside looked beautiful. All our food was excellent, lovely ingredients and done well, one appetizer was not as warm as I would have liked, but I did not complain, I am sure they would have changed it if I had. There was a good selection of wine and cocktails? Expensive, but not for the quality of the restaurant. We went into the sculpture garden afterwards (you do need to pay admission) and that was a wonderful end to a great meal.Special Features:
- over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Rats has quite a reputation. This is my second time eating there. I think it's over rated. Overpriced, not enough selection for lunch, too much "arty" food choices.Special Features:
- Kj05288Dined on 8/15/2014food was great they did make us wait ten minutes past reservation time bar was packedSpecial Features:
- Rats great atmosphere no veggiesGirlsniteoutDined on 8/15/2014We took a group to Rats . Ordered every vegetarian appetizer on the menu. Waitress also suggested the vegetable risotto which wasn't on the menu. Unfortunately no vegetarian ( no egg or meat) entrees. Perhaps there should've been some. Enjoyed walking the grounds. Beware $15 entry fee, $10 for students wi/ ID . Late night, bathrooms needed attention. All the toilet paper was gone by 11pm and paper towels on floor. Otherwise a memorable occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPECTACULAR!Healthnut1Dined on 8/14/2014What a wonderful day........the people are so nice and the ART and creativity is so engaging! Loved every minute. The food was THE best. I have never had such juicy, tender lambchops.......wow! We were celebrating a 29th anniversary...what a nice memory! The grounds are incredible...so inspiring....will have to go back again, though, the park is so large! Can't wait!Special Features:
- Farm to Table FreshVan15Dined on 8/14/2014Grounds for Sculpture is the place to go for a nice outing and Rats restaurant is the place to eat, drink and relax during or after your stroll around the grounds. Reservations are a MUST!, Request an outside table if you want. We sat in the bar area, which was somewhat noisy, but so well decorated. They have a choice of refreshing non- alcoholic drinks or interesting cocktails besides beer and wine. The onion soup was cheesy and we share it among three people. Salads so fresh, mussels well done and turkey sandwich delicious. Nate the server was on top of everything. You can also access the restaurant without going to sculpture garden.Special Features:
- SUZQDined on 8/14/2014Beautiful as ever and the food did not disappoint. I had requested to eat in the main dining area since I was traveling with a senior and they seated us in the dining area nearest the bar-- it still is nice there but not what I had requested. I know better to make a reservation way in advance for Rats and they did not honor this request even with the advance notice. I frequent rats and would not hesitate to recommend. RESERVATIONS a must if you expect to eat here well in advance and check website for restaurant closure dates for special events!Special Features:
- Rat A Tat TatTeakDined on 8/14/2014Charming, romantic, unique and artful, story book setting. A dish like a wish. A server with fervor. A view to delight the eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!VhovsDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I had lunch at Rat's before going to the Grounds for Sculpture. For apps we had the cheese and charcuterie, both of which were excellent. For entrees we had the mussels and the rabbit ragout. The mussels were among the best we've eaten, and the rabbit was perfectly seasoned and cooked. We finished off by sharing the strawberry rhubarb soup, which was the perfect dessert. The food was excellent, the service very good and I would recommend Rat's highly. The Grounds for Sculpture is a nice way to finish off, with a little walk and some very interesting art.Special Features:
- Ah-mazing dinner!truebluDined on 8/12/2014This was my first time dining at Rats. It was absolutely delicious, and we loved everything we ordered including the drinks, appetizers, entrees and desserts. The service was outstanding and atmosphere charming and romantic. We will definitely be back :)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/12/2014Food description was misleading. Service was slow and had to wait 20 minutes for waiter to return so we could ask for our check, and it wasn't even busy at that point.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Really an excellent dining experience. The setting is so beautiful you forget you are in New Jersey. Highly recommend .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be Transportedebw5Dined on 8/9/2014Take your time and enjoy the fantasy of Rat's. The Grounds for Sculpture continues the mood seamlessly into the restaurant. There, you'll be welcomed and treated as a guest should be. The food, carefully prepared, is meant to be savored and enjoyed as part of the experience in its entirety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- katecooksVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had a 6pm reservation. We arrived at about 5 and had a drink at the very crowded (no seats available) bar. At 5:30 we went to check in with the hostess and were told we would have to wait until 6 even though there was a predominance of empty tables. She suggested we go to the bar. We explained we had just been there and that it was very crowded. We were still made to wait until about ten minutes to six to be seated. There were still a predominance of empty tables so there was no excuse for the wait. The waiters were standing around waiting for something to do. Once seated the evening improved greatly.Special Features:
- Terrific lunchCaboDanDined on 8/9/2014One of my favorite days this past summer was our lunch at Rats followed by Grounds for Sculpture. Our server Brandon was very knowledgeable, helping to make our day successful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful settingJellybDined on 8/9/2014My friends and I had lunch on a Saturday. The restaurant was very crowded and noisy. Our waiter was attentive and not intrusive. The cheeseburger sat tall on the tasty soft seeded bun with tomato and lettuce. It came with Louie dressing which we had "on the side." The pastrami sandwich came with coleslaw. Cobb salad was beautifully plated. The vichyssoise was watery and tasteless. For dessert, I ordered the chocolate cake filled with dulce de leche sauce, and added a scoop of coconut ice cream. The cake was very, very sweet, but when dipped in the sour raspberry coulis, the sweetness was dulled and made the dish more palatable. Really delicious as was the ice cream with little flecks of coconut. After lunch we walked in the Garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Everything was wonderful from the attentive server who provided some history and information about the resturaunt, all the food questions were answer very professionally and the food was wonderful. Well proportioned, tasted wonderful and left you feeling you just ate a well prepared fresh meal. Will recommend highly for anyone who would like to experience some different combinations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Lovely atmosphere overlooking Monet's garden. The food was delicious, we had crispy shrimp salad and wonderfully refreshing watermelon lemonade. Yummy!Special Features:
- A True Hidden GemCaribbeanJoeDined on 8/8/2014No visit to Rat's would be complete without at least an hour walking the grounds and viewing the sculptures; it made dinner conversation even more exciting. The walk up to the restaurant through the gardens and the smoking mist lead you in and grabbed your attention. The food was superb with excellent portions; the wine list extensive and our server Harry was very accommodating and gracious. May have been our first but certainly not our last visit.Special Features:
- Another worldBklynsuDined on 8/8/2014If you can't get to Provence but want a heavenly experience spend the day at Grounds for Sculpture and dine at Rat's restaurant on the property. Wonderful refreshments and elegant wood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemParischicDined on 8/8/2014This French style restaurant is great for groups, families and couples...with a lake view and gorgeous scenery to match. Will definitely return again!Special Features:
- Rats by BillyBOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Outstanding restaurant, a combination of very good food, fantastic scenery. Such an unusual and enjoyable atmosphere. Its a bit pricy but worth the cost.Special Features:
- DelightfulLuvlbiDined on 8/7/2014Take advantage of dining at this lovely restaurant after touring the grounds for sculptures. It is also a great place to dine without making the tour. The servers are friendly as well as efficient. The food is wonderful as usual since this is our 2nd visit. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Delightful!daytrippingDined on 8/7/2014I brought my mother here to celebrate her 80th birthday. A wonderful day with so much to see and explore. Our lunch, service and outdoor seating was perfect. save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sbtfoodiesDined on 8/7/2014There were 4 of us and two different menu choice. One was good and other only fair. The Fair choice was a "sandwich" with very thick and heavy bread - could not be eaten as a sandwich as there is no way it could fit in your mouth. The location, facing on the pond and "Monet bridge" wa perfect for a day that was neither too hot or too cool.Special Features:
- Great ambianceAleriveroDined on 8/6/2014We dined at the outside terrace and the views of the pond with the sculptures were beautiful. Food was great as well as the service. The was a happy hour going on and the group next to us was quite noisy but overall it was a nice experience. The fixed menu includes admission to the grounds which was very pleasant. Will return with friends for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.