Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
16 Fairgrounds Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ratsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6095847800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5pm - 9pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 11am - 3:00pm*
Sunday Lunch: 11am - 5:30pm*
*Please note: Reservations for Sunday are not available on line; please contact the restaurant directly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Scott Swiderski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rat’s Restaurant and Ground For Sculpture offers a full complement of resources and services for a wide range of social, private, and corporate functions. So many events—from weddings and holiday parties to meetings & trade shows have been inspired by the unique interplay of nature and art. Only the unparalleled service and dedicated staff’s attention to detail rival the setting itself. Rat's provides award-winning menus for groups up to 200 with flexible space and tiered food and beverage packages that may be customized to your specific need and budget
A word from Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture
A relaxing and exotic escape featuring delightful cuisine, spectacular views and elegant ambiance, Rat’s Restaurant is the perfect dining destination. Named for the fabled entertaining character in Kenneth Graham’s children’s classic, The Wind in the Willows, Rat’s Restaurant is designed to give visitors the sense they have stepped into a village reminiscent of the impressionist painter Claude Monet’s beloved town of Giverny. From the moment you arrive you’ll see why this extraordinarily charming venue is a favorite for fine dining, celebrations and corporate events. Rustic fireplaces, country French cuisine, seasonal hand-crafted cocktails and an eclectic beer and wine list are just the beginning. Regarded as one of the most romantic restaurants in our region, Rat’s was named Philadelphia Magazine’s “Most Romantic Restaurant. Rat's Restaurant and catering is proudly managed by Stephen Starr EventsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Rats Restaurant - Grounds for Sculpture reviews from OpenTable diners
538 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (370)scenic view (367)special occasion (355)great for lunch (286)romantic (285)fit for foodies (269)great for brunch (123)good for groups (121)notable wine list (91)neighborhood gem (89)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (28)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (16)Show More
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014After walking through the grounds for sculpture, we arrived for our 815 reservation and were seated immediately. The dining room was quaint yet elegant and we were lucky to have a view of Monets . The service was attentive and the food was delicious. The only "negative" comment I have is that the wait staff seemed to be new and a bit nervous. He placed a prawn on our table along with our appetizer order. We informed him that it was not our order but that we would keep it. After a few minutes he came back to our table and said it was another tables order and proceeded to remove it from our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining in a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great server who was friendly and knowledgeable. Food was excellent. Ambience very upscale. Limited menu, but everything we had was excellent. Don't go here if you want steak and a baked potato or shrimp scampi...if you know what I mean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014after touring the grounds which are wonderful ..allow an hour and a half minimum. Went to Rats... need reservations at least 2 weeks in advance I have gone 4 x's but this was the first time for dinner.. menu not huge but what there is is very well prepared. for dessert outstanding fresh made mini donuts with three dipping sauces choc..raspberry and creme fraiche delicious! each had one drink, dinner for four shared one dessert $300 without tip. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice way to finish your tourJimmyDined on 9/27/2014Dining at Rats is a good way to finish your tour of the Sculpture Gardens. First, you're already there, the restaurant is on the grounds. Second, the food is very good as is the service and the ambiance. The wine list is robust and the bartender made a descent martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly Enchanting PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014A special and enchanting place! From the front exterior of the building (like a quaint old world European village), to the warm, inviting and beautifully decorated dining rooms, to the vibrant bar, and then out the back glass doors onto the dining patio with views of gardens, sculptures and a pond, the ambience is wonderful. The menu is extremely innovative. Best duck breast I've ever had. Wine list is immense and the specialty cocktails superb. Starting with a stroll through the sculpture gardens ending with this spectacular dinner, I can't think of a more memorable birthday dinner. Our server was very knowledgeable and helpful with excellent descriptions and suggestions for both food and wine. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- Could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Rats is a beautiful restaurant in a beautiful setting, no doubt. We had made a reservation a week in advance and when we arrived the staff seemed stressed but quickly seated our party of 3 at a table for 6. After the hostess checked with the manager, we were at a table for 4. Our server was excellent. Our favorites were the baby kale salad, lobster crepe, black bass, and the cream cheese mousse dessert. My salmon came overcooked and was missing the grapefruit need to cut through the rich butter sauce. Other than that, a pretty satisfying experience. Great place but a little more emphasis on friendly, attentive arrival and food technique and it would be 5 star.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The menu was different from most, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the best. Everybody in our party exclaimed it one of their best meals ever.sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rats Restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014It will be nice if the restaurant can include a little more variety in thee vegetarian entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary! Want to go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014While everything we ordered was excellent and plentiful, and the service was wonderful, the real thrill of going to Rats is the extraordinary ambiance and the location. Entering the restaurant feels like you are suddenly transported to an inn in France. An added plus are the sculptures and scenes created by artist Seward Johnson that seem to possible have escaped from the adjacent Grounds for Sculpture just for your added enjoyment. It's worth getting up from your table and exploring the area right around the restaurant some of these hidden, and not so hidden gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed our mid-week lunch here during a visit to the Grounds for Sculpture. Great setting and ambience. Service was excellent even though they were full. Menu is simple and limited, but the execution and presentation were exceptional. With drinks, worked out to around $80 per couple,which was well worth it. We were seated in the large bar (like the remainder of the restaurant, beautifully decorated) area, which was just fine, although there is a fair amount of through foot traffic. As such, one of the larger dining rooms would be a better choice for the next time. Reservations recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Прекрасное местоOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Великолепный ресторан: замечательная кухня, разнообразное меню, прекрасная атмосфера. Совмещает в себе утонченность и дружелюбие - редкое сочетание. Дети приветствуются: мы начали его посещать, когда дочери было 5 месяцев.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014My daughter and I had a long visit at Rats during our visit to the Grounds for Sculpture. The decor, the wine, the appetizers and entrees were all excellent! Staff was patient as we lingered over our drinks and food and enjoyed the beautiful day. I cannot think of a better all around day. Just be sure to make a reservation well in advance by open table or by phone as spots go quickly!Special Features:
- Great serverDaveDined on 9/24/2014Our server, Harry, was friendly, helpful and wholly professional. He truly added to the whole dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RatsoDined on 9/23/2014Lovely setting- opulent furnishings-class act all the way! Nice selection of food and wine, Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the atmosphere and the waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We had a lovely time and enjoyed most of the food. The Pork Collar dinners that 2 of the party ordered were not that happy with it. The Salad one of the party had was not as great as expected. Everything else was delicious. The waiter was very helpful and pleasant. The waiter took off for the sculpture garden we already purchased because we didn't know you could purchase tickets with dinner. The cocktail hour time was good and so was the cocktail hour prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experience!BarbDined on 9/19/2014Going to Rats for the first time was a birthday celebration for my husband. We both loved our experience that evening, starting with the lovely table they placed us at, the service which was warm and wonderful and delicious food. We spend an hour before coming into the restaurant, to view many of the lovely sculptures throughout the property and that was a great way to work up an appetite for our dinner. We would recommend this for any occasion and look forward to coming again very soon!Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This was our first experience at RATS and I cannot say enough good things. The food was excellent and the service was perfect. Thank you to our server Peter who treated us like royalty.Special Features:
- A Lovely lunch get togetherGrusandBoysDined on 9/19/2014Our entrée choices were perfect. The wines we chose, Rat's Wines, both red and white were very good. Our waiter Josh was very knowledgeable and helped us to decide entrée choices, apps and desserts. We will return with new visitors to the Grounds for Sculpture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usually love this placerweldDined on 9/18/2014I have been here many times and find it to be a stunningly beautiful location. Typically I have dinner and have never had a complaint. Two days ago I had lunch with an out of town friend. Although the food was still good we were quite surprised that our meal arrived at our table less than 5 minutes after our order was placed (I am not exaggerating, as soon as the waiter left with our order my friend made a call on her cell leaving a voice message. As she was finished leaving the message our meal arrived). This made us wonder how the meal could have been freshly made. Even the waiter said he was surprised at how fast the meal came. I will continue to dine here but probably not for dinner only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodloocherDined on 9/17/2014somewhat expensive, but worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great for an evening strollOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/17/2014Went for the prix fixe and evening stroll - what a treat. Food great as usual up to and including dessert. Great to be able to stroll Grounds for Sculpture in the dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JennyDined on 9/17/2014Beautiful place to have lunch here with my daughter. The food is excellent. We sit outside for lunch next to the pond, the view is spectacular and the service is outstanding .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and tastyprettyfineDined on 9/17/2014Our server was an angel. I am diabetic. She got me berries and whipped cream for dessert, which was delicious. Both my friend and I enjoyed our meals. Wrapping the leftovers as a rat was a really cute ending to the visit. I cannot wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisitecatie80eightyDined on 9/16/2014I love Rat's! I've only been twice--once for lunch on my birthday on a Saturday, and more recently for dinner for a friend's birthday on a Tuesday. As wonderful as lunch was, dinner was on another plane. We were surprised with an amuse bouche, again between courses with popovers, and again after dessert with an extra tray of tiny sweets. We shared a cheese board that had an aged gouda that had us rolling our eyes in ecstasy. All four of us loved our entrees (roast chicken, lamb two ways, rabbit ragout, and the foie gras burger) but still had room for excellent desserts (chocolate bombe, trio of ice creams, cream cheese mousse, and cinnamon sugar doughnuts). The cocktails, ambiance, and service were all top notch as well. Go to Rat's!Special Features:
- DisappointingJayJVIPDined on 9/16/2014Went for our anniversary dinner and all focus was in their dine & stroll menu. Food was lukewarm, tasted just okay. I guess they have to appeal to the masses to survive, but we will take this off our list for a special occasion.
- Loved it!dmarie7Dined on 9/16/2014We had lunch at Rats twice this summer. During the first visit, my friend had an issue with the ducks walking near her feet. I think the ducks are a nice addition. They're cute. When my friend became upset, we were immediately placed at an indoor table and she and her husband were fine with that.Special Features:
- seniorsenjoyingDined on 9/16/2014Their were four of us for lunch. It was wonderful...Two had the pastrami and two had the trout special. The pastrami was sliced thin and delicious and the trout was excellent. We would go back anytime!Special Features:
- Complete Perfect Date Restaurantchrissie1026Dined on 9/13/2014Perfect for an intimate dinner and small gatherings. Well thought out food ideas with attention to detail in everything. Love making a date with my husband to come here. it is always the perfect evening.Special Features:
- dont' missOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014We've been to Rats many times; our grandson's Bar Mitzvah reception was held there. The food never disappoints. But the selling point is the atmosphere. If you get a chance to go ahead of your reservation, don't miss at least an hours stroll through the gardens.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedJervVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was one of those dinning visits I would like to forget. Bread served was so crisp and burnt it made a pile of crumbs on the table. We never got the popovers most other tables were offered. Ordered Lobster crepe and hanger steak. Crepe came lukewarm. Asked for another and it was only a little hotter. Are they frozen and then heated? Steak came with nice bucket of again, lukewarm french fries. After all this I have to report the hanger steak was, to me and another of our party, inedible. It was sooo salty tasting we both gave it back and ended up having the reheated french fries for my entree. I reported this to the manager, who gave me a very weak " I'm sorry" and walked away with the food in hand. She never came back to explain.Special Features:
- In one word Awesome!ljdinesVIPDined on 9/13/2014We ate outside and enjoyed a beautiful view in complete solitude as it was probably considered to be too cool by the other dinners - their loss. We had delicious food and excellent service. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- Rats & GFSGrandmaCandy3Dined on 9/13/2014This is my go to place to take friends for a special day. Always magic always fun. So appreciate that Seward Johnson did this lovely thing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Everything was great but the noise level near the bar (where we were placed) made speaking difficult. One member has difficulty speaking up and so decided not to participate in lunch conversation at all. Reservations on line was very easy, but there should be a place for requesting the table location especially for the handicapped individual.Special Features:
- Anniversary LunchAndyDined on 9/13/2014We went there for an anniversary lunch. We strolled around the Grounds for Sculpture for a few hours and then ended up at the restaurant. It was a wonderful way to spend the day. At the restaurant the food was very enjoyable and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerPattiDined on 9/12/20144 went for dinner and all of us had an excellent meal. My lamb chops were done to perfection, we all agreed we want come back again. Nice wine list, waitress was very attentive and great atmosphere. Was not nearly as pricey as I was warned, I felt the food and dinning experience was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningaudreyslateDined on 9/12/2014We had dinner at Rats Restaurant after touring the Grounds for Sculpture exhibit. The lobster crepe was delicious and the Lamb Chops (on the specials for the evening) were the best I have every tasted. They lamb was lean and very tender and the spices were perfect. We also had the smoked duck breast which was very good. I would recommend this restaurant for a lovely evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeTbonitaDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant was magical in both ambience and food. We had simple lunch made special. Sat out with the ducks looking out onto monets bridge. 5 stars all the way. Get the cream cheese mousse for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Perfect!GraceDined on 9/12/2014RATS is a wonderful dining experience . Great service from being greeted to the end of your meal. I wish there were more around the state!Special Features:
- Always a special occasion at Rats!BobbyVIPDined on 9/12/2014When we visit the Sculpture Garden, we always stop for lunch at Rat's! Today we had a lovely table outdoors opposite the Monet Bridge (normally we are not big fans of eating 'al fresco' but we are glad we made the exception this day!) My husband and I started off sharing the Mezze appetizer which was an excellent array of olives, hummus, pepper and parmesan dip (a real treat!). I had one of the specials of the day--the trout which was a delicious preparation and my husband had the provencal chicken with polenta which literally melted in his mouth. For dessert we shared molten cake which was outstanding. We had a Caifornia Chardonay, all this, combined with a perfect day and great service,it was a highlight of our visit to the Garden.Special Features:
- Great PlacePattyDined on 9/12/2014This was our third time to the Rat's Restaurant. We just love it. The food, ambiance, and service is always excellent. We will be back and we tell our friends about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.