633 D Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2026371222x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vikram Sunderam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Atul Narain 2026371222x
A word from Rasika
Rasika is a modern Indian Cuisine restaurant showcasing Tawa (Griddle), Sigri (open Barbeque), Tandoori and regional dishes.Continued
We have a temperature controlled wine cellar, offer small plates and a modern lounge.
We have a temperature controlled wine cellar, offer small plates and a modern lounge.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Rasika - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Rasika reviews from OpenTable diners
590 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (431)special occasion (352)hot spot (202)romantic (189)great for lunch (143)neighborhood gem (132)good for groups (110)notable wine list (105)vibrant bar scene (41)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- Best Indian food ever!AlexDined on 9/27/2014Went here for a birthday dinner with my boyfriend. The decor is great, the food was delicious and our waiter was very attentive without being overbearing. I recommend the Palak Chaat, the Chicken Tikka Masala, and the Bhindi Amchoor. The cardamom ice cream is the best dessert!Special Features:
- Fantastic Meal!LizzieVIPDined on 9/27/2014We did the chef's tasting menu and it was possibly the best meal I've ever had in my life!Special Features:
- One of the best meals I've hadYumDCDined on 9/26/2014The food was perfection. Every dish was absolutely delicious. This is the first time that I have ever been sad when I ate my last bite of my entree. I wanted more. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Everything about the evening was superlative. Another restaurant used to be my favorite and it's been replaced by Rasika.Special Features:
- A Dream of IndaiKuvinTasteDined on 9/26/2014You would be very fortunate to secure a reservation at this Capital Hill area jewel. Rasika is Indian Fusion, and while Fusion can be a dodgy wprd, in this case it results in sublime dishes. Rasika uses the spices, leaves, herbs, seeds, and traditional Indian condiments with a thoughtful, rather subtle hand that makes the quality of the ingredients shine through. Must-order starters include a leaf-wrapped, steamed grouper appetizer served with cilantro and mint rice, the scallops with a delicate masala,and the crispy spinach. My cod main course fell into silky layers of transcendent perfection in a delicate sauce, and my husband's lamb was bathed in a more hearty, intense masala, The meat was cooked perfectly, with a pink center. Heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!SpiceGirlDined on 9/24/2014Rasika was everything I expected it to be! We had been trying to get reservations forever, so we finally called two weeks ahead and went on a Wednesday night at 5:30. The excellent food and service explain why those reservations are so hard to get.The signature spinach appetizer is a must have! While many of the entrees are standard Indian fare, their preparation and presentation raise them to a level beyond. The beignet dessert with cardamon ice cream was just the right blend of sweet and light. There is something for everyone on the menu. Service was solicitous ,but not obtrusive. Our waiter, bless him, did not say "absolutely!" once. Even with a crowd we were able to hear each other talk. I would go back in a wink!Special Features:
- Fantastic foodKushkaDined on 9/22/2014The best indian food I've ever eaten and the best restaurant I've eaten at in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!AnnieDined on 9/22/2014Impeccable service. Fantastically prepared dishes. Incredible wine list. Go. As soon as you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!SNYdinerDined on 9/22/2014Believe the rave reviews. This is a must-try if you are in DC. We were a bit overwhelmed by the menu, but thanks to our server who provided several recommendations, we were able to narrow down our selections. And every single dish was amazing!Special Features:
- hail to RasikaFoodpornVIPDined on 9/20/2014let me start by saying how incredible management was in accommodating my request and group size at such short notice . The food was amazing as was service - Mr Haque and management were so welcoming and hospitable -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegan SelectionGeiscoolDined on 9/20/2014When we asked the waiter for the vegan dishes, he immediately knew the answer and showed us the various selections among the vegetarian items. We had several vegan appetizers and sides to choose from, and we picked 5 delicious vegan dishes. This was the best Indian food we ever ate!Special Features:
- SolidRosieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I've been to Rasika West which I really enjoyed so decided to try Rasika with some girlfriends before a show. Two of us the the pre-show set meal. I thought it was very good but I wouldn't say that it blew my mind or was particularly the best Indian food I've had. I think I may actually like the Dupont Circle location more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- llabddoVIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellent, and unique, Indian food. As good as we've had, and we've tried a lot of places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Best Indian food We've ever had. Phenomenal! Service outstanding. Feels like India because it is so Loud in there. That part I really didn't enjoy, but what are you gonna do? Lots of people want to eat there.Special Features:
- Fantastic!BowtieManDined on 9/19/2014As a table of 3, we ordered the vegetarian and non-vegetarian six course meal with wine pairings. Our waiter was excellent and enthusiastic guiding us through each course and wine selection. This experience allowed us to witness Rasika to its fullest and there were no disappointments! White vermouth with their signature chat was amazing. I never knew that black cod could be spiced so deeply. Each course and pairing built up to an incredible desert assortment. This takes Indian food to new heights!Special Features:
- Wow!!Food123VIPDined on 9/18/2014The food was amazing! I went with a large group and everyone loved their meal. Try the cauliflower, chicken green masala and the cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousButwehaveareservationVIPDined on 9/17/2014My mouth still waters at thought of the many different dishes we sampled. Our waiter's desert recommendation was perfect. I understand why this restaurant is always booked solid.Special Features:
- Outstanding Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014By far, the best restaurant I have been to in D.C., and the best Indian food I have ever eaten. The Palak Chaat is so unusual and so delicious, you must order it. Same for the Amritsari Kulcha stuffed bread, Murgh Mussalam and Raan-e-Rasika. The mixed grill was good but somewhat ordinary, and next time we would just order the salmon tandoori. The restaurant is contemporary, not the typical Indian atmosphere, and very lively. It was full on a Wed night, but they did not rush us. Can't wait to go back with a large party and order everything else on the menu that we did not get to try.Special Features:
- Food was AMAZING.jeannieDined on 9/15/2014Best Indian food I have ever eaten. I have heard nothing but good things about this place and am so glad I finally tried it for myself. Service was great, food recommendations were delicious...and did I say the food was delicious? Yes, it was THAT good. Very romantic. Thanks for a great experience.Special Features:
- Palak Chaat RocksAnnaDined on 9/13/2014The food at Rasika is good, although some are definitely better than others. However, my friends and I go because of its palak chaat. It is so delicious! We will continue to dine at Rasika and Rasika West End as long as they keep serving an awesome palak chaat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique flavors, excellent serviceLovethespiceDined on 9/12/2014I eat South Asian cuisine at home 4 nights out of 7, but Rasika's inventive tastes are a refreshing change, and I'm always surprised at the creative combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anticipationsmilingabsDined on 9/12/2014My friends and I waited for our reservation date and time to come with great anticipation (we had to book a month in advance)! Rasika sure lived up to the hype and I already plan on returning with my husband for our anniversary dinner. We tried the crispy spinach and minced lamb as appetizers and all shared chicken makhani, a lamb stew dish and a veggie trio of dal, cauliflower and peas, and bangain something (eggplant purée dish). Everything was the perfect spice level for us! Service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had higher expectationsvelasq19Dined on 9/12/2014This was my first visit to this Rasika. The service was very good as well as the ambiance. I found the food to be good but I expected it to be exceptional from all the reviews about it. I found it to be overpriced (food and drinks) for the lunch portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014I was very surprised by the meal, in a good way. I opted for the 4 course tasting menu, which is good if you want to try a lot of options. I half-expected the meal was going to be overly rich and heavy, but several of the courses were quite light and refreshing.Special Features:
- Impeccable service & fabulous foodJMO1VIPDined on 9/11/2014Our dining experience was fabulous. You will pay a lot to eat here, but it is worth it once in awhile (if you can get a reservation). The food was excellent. The spinach chaat is amazing, perfect balance of sweet, salty, sour, with a crunch. The corn fritters and kale fritters were outstanding. The wine list is great and naan the perfect accompaniment. The service is really wonderful, easily the best in DC. Our waiter was attentive without being overbearing. He offered great recommendations and let us enjoy the meal at our pace. The room is dark and loud, so you're senses are a bit overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!AshfordDined on 9/11/2014I've been to Rasika many times over the past year and I still am amazed by how great the overall experience is. The food is amazing and the service is always fantastic. Definitely would recommend this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasking menu, great serviceGoodDoctorDined on 9/10/2014We had reservations for four, and had no wait at the scheduled time. We chose the full tasting menu, and the food was excellent. For 4 people, the food was sufficient amount, and the pace was good. Service and descriptions were excellent, and our main server was very attentive, with others helping deliver the multiple plates and such. The wine pairings (2 of us did this) were okay, two were very good. The value of quality to cost was excellent. The place itself was convenient, with valet parking, but the inside was not luxurious and was quite noisy at 8:15-9:30 but then settled down somewhat, even though the restaurant was full towards 10 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentmjp396Dined on 9/10/2014Best Indian food ever. Both 6 course tasting menus were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another special experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014My second time at Rasika was as wonderful as the first. The black cod signature entree must be tried!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wanted to be impressed but wasn'tDCeducatorDined on 9/9/2014I had been looking forward to eating here for a few months. I finally found time to make it with a friend. I went with high expectations. First of all, it was a Tuesday night at 8:45pm. We still had to wait about 15 minutes at the bar for our table to be ready. We were then given a horrible table crammed beside a mirror. We couldn't even sit across the table from each other. The table was horrible and it was very awkward. We ordered the spinach dish and the mango shrimp for an appetizer. They were decent. We had a chicken dish and lamb dish for the entree. The lamb was delicious, but not incredible. Overall the food was good, not great. There is a less formal Indian restaurant on K St. called Indigo that is much better with more flavor!!Special Features:
- Fabulous Gem with Unique FoodJAMINDined on 9/9/2014Rasika remains one of my most favorite restaurants in DC. The food is creative and complex and fabulous. The service is first rate. The experience is always a total joy. It's a very special place that I hope will be around forever.Special Features:
- Not better than the burbssupertasterVIPDined on 9/8/2014Rasika was lovely and the food delicious, however, although more expensive and perhaps more refined, the food is by no means better than what you can get at Indian restaurants in the Washington suburbs. I'd put Tiffin or Woodlands in a blind taste test with Rasika anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointed this timePamelaVIPDined on 9/6/2014We usually love Rasika. This time was the exception. For some reason everything seemed a little off to both my husband and myself. That has never happened. It didn't help that I had asked for all white meat in one of our dishes and they did not listen. The brought us a new one and comped us a dessert which was delicious but still we both had the same impression of the flavors. It would seem that they all were too overbearing with one or more of the ingredients. Not spicy overbearing just too much salt etc.
- A Different Taste of IndiaSomaDined on 9/5/2014We went as a couple based on outstanding reviews. Those reviews did not lie. Simply put, we are avid Indian food lovers and we wanted a different and outstanding twist. We were wowed by the unique blend of spices and cooking and wish we were closer to DC to be able to try every item on the menu. Also given quality of food, price was very decent..not cheap, reasonable and not overboard Advice...Reserve 1 month ahead if you are looking for a Friday or Saturday 7-9. This is a hopping place, not quiet, and not for young children. We plan to make the trip from Baltimore repeatedly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed!IPAPDined on 9/5/2014What a fantastic restaurant. Best Indian food I've ever eaten. Impeccable service. Great food and wine recommendations. Great great place!Special Features:
- Best Dinner EverKarenfromLynchburgDined on 9/5/2014I was surprised to read that an Indian restaurant was rated as highly as this one. I mean I love Chicken Tikka Masalla as well as the next person, but Number 1 restaurant in all of DC? When I read the chef was a James Beard award winner, my husband and I decided to splurge and order the 6-course tasting menu and paired wine (for 2 people it came out to be almost $300 with tip included). It was so worth it. Every single course was unbelievable and the wines matched perfectly. I have never raved about a starter salad before but there flash fried spinach salad was the best thing I have ever eaten. We rolled out of the restaurant after we were done that's how stuffed we were, and we know that we are going back here next time we are in DC.Special Features:
- Always the BEST!BeBeWhyDined on 9/4/2014Rasika is my favorite restaurant in DC. I am there a minimum of once a month. The food and the service is consistently outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Indian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014The food was very interesting. Not your average Indian fare. Reminds me of Vij in Vancouver. I'm a fan. Make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!Traveller44Dined on 9/3/2014Menu was fantastic! Service was excellent, our server recommended two dishes that we ate up in minutes. Great India in DC!Special Features:
- Rasika ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014It was a great experience. When they didn't have the wine we selected, the manager came out to give us selections that would suit the taste we were looking for. With it being our anniversary, they greeted us with a complimentary glass of Rosé. The food was delicious and the staff knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish so DelishBeltwayFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Rasika was well worth the wait- booked reservations weeks in advance. Don't feel shy about a 5pm dinner- it fills up fast and has a vibrant atmosphere early! The good is amazing but pricy. This is a special occasion place unless you typically spend well over $200 for 4. The quality is very good and the seafood ( lobster tail, blackened cod) was particularly good. Also had a Indian version of chicken pot pie that was excellent. Aromatic rice and chicken in a copper bowl with a bans type bread baked on top. Friendly management and waitstaff. Ambience loud and casual enough that you could bring children if they are open to eating spices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.