633 D Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 637-1222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vikram Sunderam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Atul Narain 2026371222x
A word from Rasika
Rasika is a modern Indian Cuisine restaurant showcasing Tawa (Griddle), Sigri (open Barbeque), Tandoori and regional dishes.Continued
We have a temperature controlled wine cellar, offer small plates and a modern lounge.
We have a temperature controlled wine cellar, offer small plates and a modern lounge.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Rasika - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Rasika reviews from OpenTable diners
618 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (474)special occasion (372)hot spot (233)romantic (200)great for lunch (153)neighborhood gem (150)good for groups (117)notable wine list (100)vibrant bar scene (52)late-night find (25)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014We arrived early and were given a table. The service by our waitress Roxana was excellent in all respects. Their signature appetizer, a flashed fried spinach chat, was a big hit with everyone. The bhindi was good but a bit acidic. We had a birthday to celebrate and after I informed the waitress, they brought a very nice dessert - ice cream and gulab jamun - with a candle. In all, the service and great food made for a wonderful dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST restaurant in DC!BeBeWhyDined on 11/20/2014We eat at Rasika every 4 to 6 weeks. The depth and complexity of the flavors never disappoint. Try the Cauliflower Bezule as an appetizer and the Black Cod for your main course. Finish the meal with the cardamon ice cream! The staff always make us feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Indian dinners I've hadPopocoloriDined on 11/20/2014Just the Palak Chaat is worth the trip: a lightly fried baby spinach with yogurt and tamarind. The Chicken Tika Masala was wonderfully tender. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014Our experience of dining at Rasika was really beyond amazing! The team of Haque and Santosh treated us so well, and we had a very special time. Every bite of everything we ate was not just delicious, but exquisite. We LOVED the Tandoori Salmon, which was very flavorful and at the same time, light as air. The spinach salad with Indian flavoring was fantastic. The trout appetizer was so delicate and delish. The homemade chutneys are fresh and you can really taste the ingredients. We also loved the Truffle Naan and the hot and spicy Chili Naan. My husband was thrilled with his Lamb Curry which is miles above any other you have ever tasted. Along with prosecco, a really good wine list and a delicious light Gulab Jamon with cinnamon/cardamom ice cream, we had one of the best dining experiences ever. Thank you, Rasika!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing vegetarian foodmjp396Dined on 11/18/2014Our favorite place to eat in DC. Great food and a great atmosphere. It's amazing what they do with vegetables!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutGoodgirl2Dined on 11/18/2014My second dining at Rasika within a year. The first after a friend and I visited the Newsuem we dined there for lunch. We arrived early, no problem and was seated immediately. We had read the reviews from the "City Paper" so we selected some items from the article. Everything was perfection, the server, the cuisine, and the ambience. Last night there was four of us celebrating an early Thanksgiving together. We were seated by the window with the street view. Very private and warm. The server suggestions for one guest (first visit) was excellent along with the timing of the food. We were there for about two to three hours. The dining experience at Rasika is very calm and relaxing with the aroma and flavors of India.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Classy twist on Indian cuisine, ImpressivefunwithfoodDined on 11/18/2014Some very classy and innovative twists on Indian food and desserts. Coming originally from this ethnic background, I was/am very impressed to see how well Indian food can taste and be presented. Great place to introduce someone to the delights of Indian cuisine. Just the right blend of spices and smells in every dish. It was a hustling-bustling atmosphere, so definitely not a place for a quiet romantic dinner. The place was packed and noisy, testament to its popularity, even on a Tuesday nite!! Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable.EastoftheRiverDined on 11/16/2014Came down from Connecticut to take my mother to Rasika since she has wanted to go there for a while. Our meal was excellent, especially the appetizers. Jake was very attentive and explained the dishes with which we were not familiar. I would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014I've always enjoyed Indian food, but rarely went beyond the typical lunch buffet. This restaurant takes it several levels higher in terms of the taste experience. The food is outstanding. Service is very attentive. The price (~$130 w/tip for two people to have a nice full dinner with a drink and dessert) satisfies my "memorable dining" value equation--which few restaurants in this price range do. My only issue is the noise level--it's very popular, always crowded when I'm there, and a bit loud to have an easy conversation with your dining companion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyablesteeletimeDined on 11/14/2014Great food, the service was extremely friendly. They were late for our reservation but made up for it with a complimentary, and very delicious app.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding serviceLofleDined on 11/13/2014The food was delicious,even though I am not a big fan of Indian cuisine.The restaurant has a warm and comfortable feel.The noise level is not as bad as in many other DC restaurants,but still too noisy for my taste.What was truly remarkable was the outstanding service and professionalism with wich we were treated by manager and staff.Friendly,polite,knowledgeable, formal,but not stiff or snooty.....perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fire!NYFoodieDined on 11/12/2014As we all know reservations at Rasika after 6pm are hard to come by, but my husband insisted this is where he wanted to go for this birthday. I found the service a little rushed, and asked for it to slow down so we could enjoy our meal. The food charges quickly out of the kitchen. The scallop appetizer at first was gritty and lukewarm, and we sent it back and within a couple of minutes a new one was coming out (less gritty and warmer). The palak chaat was quite tasty. The lobster entrée in coconut curry did not pack the traditional punch I am used to, but the lobster was cooked well. The lamb shank with the gold leaf tasted off (maybe it was the rosewater) and heavy. Food leaned more toward an Indian fusion than traditional of what I am used to. This place is a factory and clearly enjoys their status that the critics have bestowed upon them, at the detriment of the diners. The fire alarm went off 15 minutes after being seated, and proceeded to go on for over an hour. The noise level was high before the alarm, and the constant sounding of the alarm took the noise level to heights of being unbearable, which I did let the server and manager know. The building was not evacuated and incoming diners were continued to be seated. How do we know there was not a fire in the building above us? Nothing was done to compensate for this noisy and loud inconvenience and on our first and celebratory visit. We won’t go back due to their laisse faire attitude, and I am sure Rasika does not care.
- Great Food, Great Service, Great SettingAngelSDined on 11/11/2014I love reserving with Open Table because we are seated immediately. Our waiter knew the menu backward and forward and was able to make recommendations. He knew the drink list well also which was nice because we tried a drink we've never had before. There wasn't anything I would say they could have done to make the experience better. The restaurant is right off metro also so we didn't have to fuss with trying to park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDCTeacherDined on 11/11/2014First time I had Indian food. I LOVED it!!! Can't wait to go back!!! Everything the waitress recommended was awesome!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinnerNorthwestfoodie2Dined on 11/11/2014Last time in DC, my husband had a stupendous lunch at Rasika. This time I joined two of my sisters there for a special dinner. Always impeccable service with waiters who make great recommendations and try to meet every request with cheerful perfection. If I'm ever in Washington again, this restaurant would undoubtedly be the first reservation I'd make. Northwestfoodie2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesomeDeniseDined on 11/10/2014I selected Rasika for a special birthday celebration and they did not disappoint. Service was excellent to start off and the food... Fabulous! What a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFairfaxStation6VIPDined on 11/10/2014Rasika raises the level of Indian food up by several notches -- outstanding pairings of ingredients and dishes. Our server was very attentive and explained all the dishes very well. The food is not outrageously expensive, and the place has a casual atmosphere -- a terrific spot.Special Features:
- Aahh...ilikewineDined on 11/10/2014Rasika does not disappoint ~ I am still thinking about the crispy spinach, black cod, mango shrimp and date and toffee pudding. Already planning the next visit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves its acclaimsDinerVIPDined on 11/8/2014Nothing more to say than hasn't already been said. Rasika (and West End) is at or near the top of lists and recipient of national acclaim for good reason. Go! (if you can get in!)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsSRajanDined on 11/8/2014As predicted the recommended food was great . Service was excellent . Paalak Chaat was awesome. Pepper crab could be a lot less salty and chicken makhani a little less buttery
- One of the best meals ever!WVRasikalvrDined on 11/7/2014Had the "Chef's course with wine", which was "Divine". Parvane was our server, and he made the experience even better. I'm still craving the "crunchy" spinach. I have to say I would make the trip to D.C. again just to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bargain lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014An outstanding lunch for a reasonable price, if you have work that afternoon and skip the alcoholSpecial Features:
- LuluVIPDined on 11/7/2014Rasika was simply fabulous. . .AS ALWAYS. I had the Raan-e-Rasika this time and it was particularly special. We had a complimentary small dessert as well and I'm still dreaming about the cardamom ice cream (and I don't eat ice cream as a rule).Special Features:
- Always a hitMickiVIPDined on 11/6/2014The restaurant offers spectacular choices for vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodDanielleDined on 11/4/2014The food at Rasika is excellent and the service is exceptional! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that is looking for an elegant twist to Indian food.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian FoodDPinVADined on 11/3/2014Both Rasika locations are excellent restaurants. What I like about the Penn Quarter based location is the intimacy. This would be a great location for any special occasion. And, of course, the food is incredible.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/3/2014We finally made it to Rasika. We loved the entire experience from the food to the wait staff.Special Features:
- The absolute bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014We went for a weekday lunch, hoping to enjoy the area's best Indian food at a less rushed & quieter time than the bustling dinner hour. We weren't wrong. We shared four appetizers among the four of us & then we each had a main course. I wish we had room for more! The food was superb, the service prompt but unrushed & we left with enough leftovers for dinner that night.Special Features:
- Interesting Indian DiningPhoetoDined on 11/3/2014The palak chaat, mint parantha and elaichi tikka were delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!bw06Dined on 11/2/2014Great ambiance! Attentive yet unobtrusive service. Some of the best Indian food I've had in the US! Unique and inventive dishes with a truly authentic touch. We got the 4 course grand menu and it was a sublime experience! Highly recommend the spinach chaat, daal makhani (reminded me of home!) and of course, the apple jalebi! Absolutely delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent management, poor food!WillNeverGoToRasikaAgainDined on 11/2/2014I wanted my wife to have an excellent dinner in a good restaurant for our anniversary. The restaurant had the ambience and excellent service. However, the food we ordered was in no way worth the long drive. The chilli paneer and shrimp balchao tasted the same and the sauce was the same. The description of the dish was in no way true of the taste. The shrimp was supposed to be spicy and was supposed to have peri-peri sauce. There was no peri-peri sauce and it was sweetish. The sauce tasted exactly like the sauce in the paneer dish. When we asked for some peri-peri sauce what we got was malt vinegar which is in every dish. The management did not bother to talk to us to address our disappointment in the dinner. The food description is false.Special Features:
- delicious, but ...ThatGuyDined on 11/2/2014While Rasika is delicious, I found the service ... odd. Not only were the staff dressed nicer than me -- making me feel underdressed -- but it took several minutes to get drinks. At the same time, they insisted on taking our coats and helping us put them back on. In no way was the service bad. It was quite good, just quite ... disjointed. Again, the food was fantastic.
- Best.Meal. Ever.pafballouVIPDined on 11/1/2014I have been going to Rasika and its West End sister for years. Hands down the best Indian in town. But this past Saturday, I think I had the best meal of my life. This place is off the chain. Insanely good. Pure magic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, odd servicehungryalwaysDined on 11/1/2014The food at Rasika is undeniably very good and is comparable to top-end Indian restaurants in London and India. The food was well spiced and flavours were layered. However, there were problems. Despite making a reservation, for which we arrived early, we waited twenty minutes until our table was ready. The bar and entrance area were busy and staff seemed visibly stressed. Our server ID-ed my friend and I which was fine. However, he refused my British ID despite it being accepted at the bar. As a longterm DC resident, I have never once had my ID rejected. Eventually, the manager agreed to make 'an exception'. Service was off but difficult to put my finger on exactly how. Polite but Passive aggressive might be a good description.Special Features:
- Believe the hype!DiningAroundDined on 11/1/2014My boyfriend and I made reservations a few months in advance in order to secure a 7:15 PM dinner reservation. We arrived at the restaurant ~15 minutes early and were kept waiting for ~15 minutes until our table was ready, which was fine. The restaurant is fairly small, though, and there wasn't really a convenient place to wait without getting in someone's way. The meal was as good as all the positive reviews we'd read had led us to believe. The palak chaat is very tasty, and it's large enough that we really could have split one order. The tandoori salmon and chicken makhani were both done well -- the sauces made all the difference, since they were light and flavorful. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- DianeDined on 11/1/2014We had heard so many good things about Raskia so when we were in DC for a conference we HAD to experience it for ourselves and were definitely impressed. The food is fabulous and the staff very friendly, etc. We will definitely come again when we find ourselves in DC next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not live up to its reputationGNOSVDined on 10/31/2014We were visiting DC and found this restaurant based on Yelp reviews. Our experience went down due to the service - an arrogant loud-mouthed waiter spoiled it for us. Their attitude was "you are lucky to have come to Rasika" as opposed to "welcome, we are here to make your dining experience memorable..." Food was ok; ambiance was low - we went for dinner; outside pole lights were not helping with the ambiance. Noise level was not high but adjacent table's conversations traveled. :( This restaurant was the lowest on the scale of service amongst all others that we visited in the DC area during our stay.Overall will not recommend it to anyone from San Francisco visiting DC and looking for a nice Indian place to eat.
- Met expectationsMoenDined on 10/31/2014We received a lot of recommendations to go to Rasika for dinner and our friends were spot on! Excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- PhenomenalGee12Dined on 10/31/2014I took my girlfriend out for dinner and it was absolutely phenomenal. We both enjoyed the dinner and the best part was the hostess were very friendly. I would recommend this restaurant to everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmnivoreVIPDined on 10/31/2014Our first visit to Rasika was a pleasure. We decided to try the tasting menu, and all of us enjoyed the variety of tastes, colors, and scents. The early plates were a special treat--beautifully prepared and presented, very tasty. The main dishes put us in the more familiar territory of good Indian restaurants everywhere, but that fact did not diminish our enjoyment of the meal. Our server (Gustavo) was professional (he knew the kitchen and the wine cellar well), attentive, and cheerful. We will return to Rasika the next time we hanker for Indian food and have a special occasion to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.