Rasika West End
1190 New Hampshire Avenue, NW.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Rasika West End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2024662500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Vikram Sunderam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We can cater events from 10 to 1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer three private dining room options.
The Library Room seats up to 36 guests for a sit down dinner and Stand up reception for 60 guests.
Window view Private room seats up to 10 guests.
Glass enclosed Private Dining Room in the Kitchen seats up to 8 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Atul Narain 2024662500x
A word from Rasika West End
Rasika, which is derived from Sanskrit meaning "flavors,” is the award-winning modern Indian restaurant owned by Ashok Bajaj. Leading the kitchen is Group Executive Chef Vikram Sunderam, a 2012 nominee for Best Chef Mid-Atlantic from the James Beard Foundation. Rasika has consistently earned four stars in the coveted Dining Guide of The Washington Post, and is in the top tier of Washingtonian magazine’s annual “100 Best.” Esquire magazine named it among the country’s best new restaurants in 2008 and Food & Wine magazine also stated that Rasika is “One of the hottest restaurants in the world.” Rasika showcases authentic Indian fare prepared on the Tawa (griddle), Sigri (open barbeque), as well as Tandoori and regional dishes. The restaurant is also noted for its international wine list, innovative cocktails and intimate, plush dining room. For private dining, Rasika has an exclusive space that can seat up to 16 guests and a semi-private area for up to 28.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rasika West End - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Rasika West End reviews from OpenTable diners
503 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (382)special occasion (289)hot spot (169)neighborhood gem (131)good for groups (127)romantic (120)great for lunch (118)notable wine list (80)great for outdoor dining (72)vibrant bar scene (55)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (14)scenic view (5)Show More
- Hope for Bo! He's a superb server.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014I'm a fan of Sindian cuisine and have travelled to India as well. I was really looking forward to this dinner, booked weeks in advance, but was disappointed that I had to wait nearly 1/2 hour for my reserved table. Patience and kindness pays off folks! The maitre d'hôtel promised they'd make it up to me and they certainly did...the food just kept coming and it was superb! From the flash fried baby spina he to the seared tuna and the quartet of entrees (they comped a fifth, the black cod, yum!) all was perfectly orchestrated by my server Bo, who made my time there an experience, not just a meal; he was wonderfully adept and kind. Rasika is a must for anyone who loves Indian cuisine and flawless service. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- complex wonderful flavorsFinedinerVIPDined on 10/22/2014these folks know how to use their spices. complex flavors that do not overwhelm the focus of the dish. beautifully prepared and served. they also have some great drinks.Special Features:
- Doesn't live up to the originalMilwmDined on 10/22/2014I've eaten lunch at Rasika West End twice now, and have been disappointed with the food both times. I have high standards for this restaurant, as the Penn Quarter location is absolutely delicious. At Rasika West End, it's just not as good. Most recently, the star anise fish was undercooked. I did not complain to the server, and I will say the service is fine. Compared to other Indian restaurants in the area, Rasika West End is not worth the price. It just doesn't pull off the unique flavors the way the original does. I will not be going back to the West End location.Special Features:
- Rasika West Never DisappointsNewFanVIPDined on 10/18/2014We marked our 16th anniversary with dinner with friends at Rasika West. The food was terrific from the first bite of palaat chat to the last spoonful of sorbet. Our waiter was terrific -- made great recommendations for our friends who were there for the first time. The wine is extensive enough and not overly priced as our so many Washington restaurants. The only problem is how difficult it's become to make timely reservations. Give yourself a 4-6 week start on your desired date.Special Features:
- Great for the gluten/dairy freeNancyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Rasika West End wowed the 8 of us who ate there. One of my out of town guests proclaimed it the best Indian food she had ever eaten. But I discovered something amazing for the gluten- and dairy-free among DC diners. Usually I ask my server to ask the chef what I should order. But as soon as I told my server what I needed she said she would bring me a different menu. She actually returned with two copies of the SAME menu as everyone else, but the difference was that one highlighted (literally) the dishes with dairy and the other highlighted the dishes with gluten. By comparing the two menus, I could order gluten-free and dairy-free with no difficulty. Ever dish I ate was delicious. Thank you, Rasika West End. I will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had the tasting menu paired with wines and every thing was delicious...would definitely recommend to others!Special Features:
- Indian standards elevatedBethDined on 10/17/2014We tried the familiar (tikka masala) and the innovative (crispy spinach) and loved every bite! Friendly attentive service and wow decor made dining at Rasika a wonderful eclectic experience. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific as usualVegetarianDined on 10/16/2014Tried the tasting menu - every course was great and the staff was wonderful about substitutions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014Excellent Indian food, top notch service, great location in downtown DCSpecial Features:
- Why even ask?ashevillefunDined on 10/15/2014Although we had a glitch or two in our service, it cannot diminish the dinner that we had at Rasika West End. The food is so wonderful and such an adventure each time there that one cannot help enjoying the whole experience.Special Features:
- Great Dinner at Rasika West EndJED061874Dined on 10/14/2014I've eaten at another Rasika in the past on a few occasions, and it was great. This Rasika was delicious and had a great menu full of diversity. I started with the Baingan Mirch Ka Salan, eggplant with peanuts and jalapeno, and for my entrée I had the Lamb Mirchi Korma with Kashmiri chilies, caramelized onions, and Sichuan pepper. The food was excellent, and I enjoyed a very nice viognier with dinner. I highly recommend this for a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeggieNewbieDined on 10/13/2014Deliciously different flavorful food, artistically prepared, with excellent service, and very cool ambiance One of the best restaurants we've eaten at in a long time. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanieJoanieJJoDined on 10/13/2014Rasika West End has the best professional service; the food is very creative and delicious. This was our second time at the restaurant and the choices are excellent for meat lovers and vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Rasika West EndOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014I have been wanting to try this restaurant since the first review from Washington Post. The place is really Indian nouvelle cuisine. The crispy spinach and the black cod were both outstanding. For the rest of the dishes we ordered, I would like more spices. I would take guests to this restaurant but to satisfy my indian food craving, I would go to some local restaurants in NOVA with real indian and spicy food. Overall, I love the ambiance and the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous birthday lunchFoodLoverDined on 10/13/2014Lunch at Rasika West End on Columbus Day to celebrate a family birthday was a memorable event! We've enjoyed Rasika a number of times before and I've been at Rasika West End once before as well, but this time the experience was especially good. The ambiance and service were excellent, but even they paled in comparison to the truly memorable food. Particularly worth mentioning the palaak chaat (as usual), a new menu item the Foie Gras Galouti--a delicately spiced melt in your mouth minced lamb kebab, and the gulab jamun with the saffron pistachio rabdi and cardamom ice-cream. The other items, a chicken pudina korma, a spicy reshmi kebab, and the chocolate samosa with mocha ice-cream were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectGoodvisitVIPDined on 10/11/2014Rasika is one of our favorite restaurants. The Rasika West location has great ambience and the food is always top notch. The service is wonderful, and this a great place to go for special occasions or any occasion.Special Features:
- Stunning RedfishSoutherngirlVIPDined on 10/11/2014I cannot get over the taste sensation of the incredibly fresh, tender as a baby's kiss, tomato sauce dusted redfish. I need to immediately go back next week and order more! And when I do, I will want more of the spicy Bhindi Okra. Multiple layers of flavors are still dancing on my tongue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular!foodfanDined on 10/10/2014we have been to Rasika twice, both have been an excellent dining experience. Each dish has proven to be a fabulous offering. I wouldn't put Indian food as one of my top 3 ethnic foods, and even I am a devoted Rasika fan. (i blame it all on repeated bland chicken dishes and terrible gulab jaman experiences). But Rasika is definitely one of the redeeming Indian food experiences. Some of our foods highlights would include the sev batata puri, the rockfish (perfectly cooked), the calamari appetizer (dusted in semolina versus panko or a heavy batter, this is quite a happy, crispy dish), the goat cheese kulcha. for dessert, the sticky toffee pudding and the gulab jaman with cardamam ice cream are a great finish. service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRajeevDined on 10/10/2014Took my office colleagues for a company celebrations including some out of tow visitors, everyone loved the food, restaurant and service.Special Features:
- chubbjettDined on 10/8/2014I found the restaurant to be a nice spot to celebrate special occasions. The food was excellent as was the service. They even honored my request for a different table location without hesitation. I rate it an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding creative IndianATLGAVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great food, creative menu, perhaps the best Indian food I've found in the US. The service is top-notch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014Fantastic. A great Indian restaurant for diners who do not already have an appreciation for Indian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of the hypeDaveCDined on 10/3/2014Rasika is amazing. We had the tasting menu and every dish was delicious. We were there celebrating a birthday and the server not only brought us two glasses of champagne on the house, but the chef also sent us an extra tasting course. Everything was perfection. Easily in my top 5 dining experiences of 11 years of living in Washington, DC.Special Features:
- Another great experience!MKozVIPDined on 10/3/2014Outstanding experience. Great food, try the crispy spinach and sea bass peri peri as appetizers. The rock fish rocked. Date and toffee pudding was a very special dessert.Special Features:
- foodloverDined on 10/2/2014Our party of four were delighted. We all ordered something different but thought all four entrees and appetizers were delicious--not the usual fire-hot Indian restaurant food. If I could afford it, I'd go back today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DissapointingnmbeyVIPDined on 10/1/2014I've been to Rasika countless times, however I was extremely disappointed with this last experience. The dishes were very poorly executed and didn't taste as good as they usually are. The quality of service was below average as well, it particularly slow and the greeter was rude.Special Features:
- Good but overrated.VinuVIPDined on 9/30/2014Stick to the appetizers. The lamb Mirch korma tasted like it was made using curry powder. Meat was protein cubes that were tasteless. The chef needs to get back to making basic fresh foodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/30/2014My husband and I went to Rasika West End for our six year anniversary. We have been many times and always loved it, but this time is a bit different as I am currently 36 weeks pregnant. The hostess sat us and a few minutes later came back to us with a pillow in hand, asking if I wanted it to help with my seating. That small offer made all of the difference for me in terms of being able to enjoy dinner - it was so thoughtful and considerate and helped me be truly comfortable! A small detail - but I appreciated that the cocktail menu had non-alcoholic options available, without me having to ask for a specialty drink. Our dinner was amazing, as always, and we had an absolutely fabulous waiter. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- memorable experienceShubhansDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I took our friend here for his birthday. The food was excellent; so was service. Definitely worth the price.Special Features:
- Did I mention the Palak Chaat?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014Although we were terribly late for our reservation, we were welcomed and made to feel right at home. Very attentive service from Arvind, lots of excellent recommendations, including the Palak Chaat. If you were going to order nothing else, get the Palak Chaat. If you are just stopping by to ask directions. . .order the Palak Chaat. Also, as something of a surprise, the signature cocktails were outstanding! I'd come back for those, as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceHappyCustomerDined on 9/25/2014This was my second time here and it was amazing both times. The decor is trendy, absolutely gorgeous, and unique (there's nothing like it; it's even different from the Penn Quarter location). The service is polite, professional, and prompt. As if that wasn't enough, the food is to DIE FOR. Must try: palak chaat, tandoori salmon, shrimp appetizer, and strawberry ras malai dessert. My boyfriend and I were craving these dishes for days after! As an Indian foodie, you can't give a more glowing recommendation. The only dish I didn't like was the chocolate samosa. All 6/8 cocktails we had were excellent. Overall, my favorite restaurant in the city!Special Features:
- Great experience!FoodilocksDined on 9/25/2014My daughter and I celebrated her birthday at Rasika and we were thrilled with the food, service, and the ambiance. The star was the crispy spinach salad. Out of this world good! The black cod was also outstanding. We will go return soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/25/2014Service was outstanding but the food was just ok. Several of our dishes arrived cold. Lamb Biryani and chicken tikka, as well as the duck entree were all a bit disappointing. Would not likely repeat.Special Features:
- JodyVIPDined on 9/25/2014Food was good and so was the service . The Ambiance was not nearly as good as Rasika or Bombay Club . I usually get the spinach special and the tandoori salmon --always delicious . My grand son had the spinach and a lamb and rice special , which he thoroughly enjoyed . We love Rasika but not this one . The waiter was exceptionally helpful .
- Super, as alwaysNoNicknameVIPDined on 9/24/2014Love Rasika and Rasika West (when we are able to get a table ...) We had a guest from England, and even he said that the "National Dish of England" served at Rasika (the Chicken Tikka Masala) was much better than found typically in England ...Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I work right around the corner and that can be a dangerous thing. I absolutely love the food here, and service is always on point. It can be hard to find that kind of consistency in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good if you have kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014It was a bit strange that there is no facility for kids. There were no high chairs, rest rooms with facilities for kids. Apart from that, the food is lovely and so was the service. Would love to go there again soon.
- This place rocksZeusDined on 9/22/2014Stop reading this and eat here now. Seriously. It's delicious.Special Features:
- Love at first biteGrEATfoodDined on 9/20/2014So glad we got in! This place is one hot ticket. Our entire group Cannot stop smiling or stop talking about all the great flavors. Tops were the crispy spinach and a cauliflower dish. That said it seems a bit unfair to pick a favorite because every dish we tried was amazing. Rasika is our new favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love RasikadirectorDined on 9/20/2014Love the food, service and ambience. Wait staff attentive and helpful. One of my favorites.Special Features: