Rasika West End
1190 New Hampshire Avenue, NW.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Rasika West End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2024662500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Vikram Sunderam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We can cater events from 10 to 1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer three private dining room options.
The Library Room seats up to 36 guests for a sit down dinner and Stand up reception for 60 guests.
Window view Private room seats up to 10 guests.
Glass enclosed Private Dining Room in the Kitchen seats up to 8 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Atul Narain 2024662500x
A word from Rasika West End
Rasika, which is derived from Sanskrit meaning "flavors,” is the award-winning modern Indian restaurant owned by Ashok Bajaj. Leading the kitchen is Group Executive Chef Vikram Sunderam, a 2012 nominee for Best Chef Mid-Atlantic from the James Beard Foundation. Rasika has consistently earned four stars in the coveted Dining Guide of The Washington Post, and is in the top tier of Washingtonian magazine’s annual “100 Best.” Esquire magazine named it among the country’s best new restaurants in 2008 and Food & Wine magazine also stated that Rasika is “One of the hottest restaurants in the world.” Rasika showcases authentic Indian fare prepared on the Tawa (griddle), Sigri (open barbeque), as well as Tandoori and regional dishes. The restaurant is also noted for its international wine list, innovative cocktails and intimate, plush dining room. For private dining, Rasika has an exclusive space that can seat up to 16 guests and a semi-private area for up to 28.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rasika West End - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Rasika West End reviews from OpenTable diners
512 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (389)special occasion (297)hot spot (170)good for groups (135)neighborhood gem (133)romantic (121)great for lunch (120)notable wine list (86)great for outdoor dining (69)vibrant bar scene (55)late-night find (31)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (15)scenic view (5)Show More
- jeffb75Dined on 10/25/2014Have to say for all the hype and great reviews I felt that the food was very underwhelming. My girlfriend and I felt that most of the food items were way too sweet and buttery. We felt was forcibly trying to be fancy and not truly authentic Indian food. We've had much better food at local Indian restaurants in Virginia for 1/4 the price. Don't think we will be back or eager to recommend to others.Special Features:
- ExcellentFoodieInTrainingVIPDined on 10/24/2014I had a 10 PM reservation at the West End location on a Friday night. I would have preferred a more vibrant scene for a late dinner with friends, but maybe it was just getting too late. The food was excellent. I liked the modern spin on the green pea samosas. The Cauliflower Bezule was great, although I didn't expect it to be fried. The Andhra Chicken Curry was awesome, especially if you like spicy/hot food. I liked the Garlic Naan, although I think I like all garlic naan. The service was excellent. The cocktails were well crafted and I felt that I had plenty to choose from. I would return just for drinks.Special Features:
- Great food. Poor service.TB56Dined on 10/24/2014Treated with such contempt by our waiter it would have totally ruined our experience if the drinks weren't flowing and we hadn't turned it into a game to see how many ways he could be rude to us. From the very beginning. He sort of came around when the bill hit $200. Totally bizarre. Get a new job if you can't at least fake it.Special Features:
- excellent, excellent, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014nothing to really say...our second visit...and i must say this is my favorite DC restaurant..Rasika, we are lovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousflutrbyDined on 10/24/2014Had a great romantic dinner at Rasika West End. You need to make reservations in advance as they're often booked. Ordered all vegetarian entrees. Loved the edamame pancakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacat4@comcast.netFinepalateDined on 10/24/2014Exceeds expectation, sublime food! You must order crispy spinach and the dal! Also had beetroot app that was so good it defies all attempts at explanation! Also the cardamom ice cream is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent qualityterrypVIPDined on 10/24/2014Took two colleagues and we shared everything. Three appetizer, three mains, two desserts, all excellent.Special Features:
- Hope for Bo! He's a superb server.MuttongluttonDined on 10/23/2014I'm a fan of Sindian cuisine and have travelled to India as well. I was really looking forward to this dinner, booked weeks in advance, but was disappointed that I had to wait nearly 1/2 hour for my reserved table. Patience and kindness pays off folks! The maitre d'hôtel promised they'd make it up to me and they certainly did...the food just kept coming and it was superb! From the flash fried baby spina he to the seared tuna and the quartet of entrees (they comped a fifth, the black cod, yum!) all was perfectly orchestrated by my server Bo, who made my time there an experience, not just a meal; he was wonderfully adept and kind. Rasika is a must for anyone who loves Indian cuisine and flawless service. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Outstanding Experience.VijayDined on 10/23/2014Very accommodating management. Great wine selection. Outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Go BacklapanosDined on 10/23/2014The palak chaat was unbelievably good -- a must order! I ordered a delicious lamb entree, and I am looking forward to exploring the rest of the menu. The service, though, was a little odd. When I asked the waiter if he recommended that my friend and I order our own entrees or split smaller plates instead he responded that "it will all end up in the same place anyway." We also asked him to recommend a dessert and he was rather uncooperative. Maybe we just didn't understand his sense of humor? In any case, I definitely recommend it and will be going back.Special Features:
- complex wonderful flavorsFinedinerVIPDined on 10/22/2014these folks know how to use their spices. complex flavors that do not overwhelm the focus of the dish. beautifully prepared and served. they also have some great drinks.Special Features:
- Doesn't live up to the originalMilwmDined on 10/22/2014I've eaten lunch at Rasika West End twice now, and have been disappointed with the food both times. I have high standards for this restaurant, as the Penn Quarter location is absolutely delicious. At Rasika West End, it's just not as good. Most recently, the star anise fish was undercooked. I did not complain to the server, and I will say the service is fine. Compared to other Indian restaurants in the area, Rasika West End is not worth the price. It just doesn't pull off the unique flavors the way the original does. I will not be going back to the West End location.Special Features:
- jrpearDined on 10/20/2014we've had better curry in other Indian restaurants, but overall very good food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Rasika West Never DisappointsNewFanVIPDined on 10/18/2014We marked our 16th anniversary with dinner with friends at Rasika West. The food was terrific from the first bite of palaat chat to the last spoonful of sorbet. Our waiter was terrific -- made great recommendations for our friends who were there for the first time. The wine is extensive enough and not overly priced as our so many Washington restaurants. The only problem is how difficult it's become to make timely reservations. Give yourself a 4-6 week start on your desired date.Special Features:
- Great for the gluten/dairy freeNancyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Rasika West End wowed the 8 of us who ate there. One of my out of town guests proclaimed it the best Indian food she had ever eaten. But I discovered something amazing for the gluten- and dairy-free among DC diners. Usually I ask my server to ask the chef what I should order. But as soon as I told my server what I needed she said she would bring me a different menu. She actually returned with two copies of the SAME menu as everyone else, but the difference was that one highlighted (literally) the dishes with dairy and the other highlighted the dishes with gluten. By comparing the two menus, I could order gluten-free and dairy-free with no difficulty. Ever dish I ate was delicious. Thank you, Rasika West End. I will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had the tasting menu paired with wines and every thing was delicious...would definitely recommend to others!Special Features:
- Indian standards elevatedBethDined on 10/17/2014We tried the familiar (tikka masala) and the innovative (crispy spinach) and loved every bite! Friendly attentive service and wow decor made dining at Rasika a wonderful eclectic experience. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific as usualVegetarianDined on 10/16/2014Tried the tasting menu - every course was great and the staff was wonderful about substitutions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014Excellent Indian food, top notch service, great location in downtown DCSpecial Features:
- Why even ask?ashevillefunDined on 10/15/2014Although we had a glitch or two in our service, it cannot diminish the dinner that we had at Rasika West End. The food is so wonderful and such an adventure each time there that one cannot help enjoying the whole experience.Special Features:
- Great Dinner at Rasika West EndJED061874Dined on 10/14/2014I've eaten at another Rasika in the past on a few occasions, and it was great. This Rasika was delicious and had a great menu full of diversity. I started with the Baingan Mirch Ka Salan, eggplant with peanuts and jalapeno, and for my entrée I had the Lamb Mirchi Korma with Kashmiri chilies, caramelized onions, and Sichuan pepper. The food was excellent, and I enjoyed a very nice viognier with dinner. I highly recommend this for a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeggieNewbieDined on 10/13/2014Deliciously different flavorful food, artistically prepared, with excellent service, and very cool ambiance One of the best restaurants we've eaten at in a long time. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanieJoanieJJoDined on 10/13/2014Rasika West End has the best professional service; the food is very creative and delicious. This was our second time at the restaurant and the choices are excellent for meat lovers and vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Rasika West EndOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014I have been wanting to try this restaurant since the first review from Washington Post. The place is really Indian nouvelle cuisine. The crispy spinach and the black cod were both outstanding. For the rest of the dishes we ordered, I would like more spices. I would take guests to this restaurant but to satisfy my indian food craving, I would go to some local restaurants in NOVA with real indian and spicy food. Overall, I love the ambiance and the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous birthday lunchFoodLoverDined on 10/13/2014Lunch at Rasika West End on Columbus Day to celebrate a family birthday was a memorable event! We've enjoyed Rasika a number of times before and I've been at Rasika West End once before as well, but this time the experience was especially good. The ambiance and service were excellent, but even they paled in comparison to the truly memorable food. Particularly worth mentioning the palaak chaat (as usual), a new menu item the Foie Gras Galouti--a delicately spiced melt in your mouth minced lamb kebab, and the gulab jamun with the saffron pistachio rabdi and cardamom ice-cream. The other items, a chicken pudina korma, a spicy reshmi kebab, and the chocolate samosa with mocha ice-cream were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectGoodvisitVIPDined on 10/11/2014Rasika is one of our favorite restaurants. The Rasika West location has great ambience and the food is always top notch. The service is wonderful, and this a great place to go for special occasions or any occasion.Special Features:
- Stunning RedfishSoutherngirlVIPDined on 10/11/2014I cannot get over the taste sensation of the incredibly fresh, tender as a baby's kiss, tomato sauce dusted redfish. I need to immediately go back next week and order more! And when I do, I will want more of the spicy Bhindi Okra. Multiple layers of flavors are still dancing on my tongue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular!foodfanDined on 10/10/2014we have been to Rasika twice, both have been an excellent dining experience. Each dish has proven to be a fabulous offering. I wouldn't put Indian food as one of my top 3 ethnic foods, and even I am a devoted Rasika fan. (i blame it all on repeated bland chicken dishes and terrible gulab jaman experiences). But Rasika is definitely one of the redeeming Indian food experiences. Some of our foods highlights would include the sev batata puri, the rockfish (perfectly cooked), the calamari appetizer (dusted in semolina versus panko or a heavy batter, this is quite a happy, crispy dish), the goat cheese kulcha. for dessert, the sticky toffee pudding and the gulab jaman with cardamam ice cream are a great finish. service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRajeevDined on 10/10/2014Took my office colleagues for a company celebrations including some out of tow visitors, everyone loved the food, restaurant and service.Special Features:
- One of the best!Tenleytown4561Dined on 10/10/2014It was a good idea to book early and one of the best Indian experiences we have ever had! The food was good but the best in the USA? Service was a tad slow but we were not interested in a quick dinner even though we were off to the theater. Take the pre-dinner menu! Very good and all the regulars are there. Crackling spinach sublime and with the addition of yogurt is not only smart a great addition compared to other places...Buy a bottle of wine, the wine/glass prices crazy. But go it is an experience that needs to be made! We arrived at 5ish and the place was maxed out in less than 30 minutes, It is the craze obviously. Ask for a window table-you might get the stagecoach table as we did. Very fun!Special Features:
- chubbjettDined on 10/8/2014I found the restaurant to be a nice spot to celebrate special occasions. The food was excellent as was the service. They even honored my request for a different table location without hesitation. I rate it an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding creative IndianATLGAVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great food, creative menu, perhaps the best Indian food I've found in the US. The service is top-notch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014Fantastic. A great Indian restaurant for diners who do not already have an appreciation for Indian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of the hypeDaveCDined on 10/3/2014Rasika is amazing. We had the tasting menu and every dish was delicious. We were there celebrating a birthday and the server not only brought us two glasses of champagne on the house, but the chef also sent us an extra tasting course. Everything was perfection. Easily in my top 5 dining experiences of 11 years of living in Washington, DC.Special Features:
- Another great experience!MKozVIPDined on 10/3/2014Outstanding experience. Great food, try the crispy spinach and sea bass peri peri as appetizers. The rock fish rocked. Date and toffee pudding was a very special dessert.Special Features:
- foodloverDined on 10/2/2014Our party of four were delighted. We all ordered something different but thought all four entrees and appetizers were delicious--not the usual fire-hot Indian restaurant food. If I could afford it, I'd go back today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DissapointingnmbeyVIPDined on 10/1/2014I've been to Rasika countless times, however I was extremely disappointed with this last experience. The dishes were very poorly executed and didn't taste as good as they usually are. The quality of service was below average as well, it particularly slow and the greeter was rude.Special Features:
- Good but overrated.VinuVIPDined on 9/30/2014Stick to the appetizers. The lamb Mirch korma tasted like it was made using curry powder. Meat was protein cubes that were tasteless. The chef needs to get back to making basic fresh foodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/30/2014My husband and I went to Rasika West End for our six year anniversary. We have been many times and always loved it, but this time is a bit different as I am currently 36 weeks pregnant. The hostess sat us and a few minutes later came back to us with a pillow in hand, asking if I wanted it to help with my seating. That small offer made all of the difference for me in terms of being able to enjoy dinner - it was so thoughtful and considerate and helped me be truly comfortable! A small detail - but I appreciated that the cocktail menu had non-alcoholic options available, without me having to ask for a specialty drink. Our dinner was amazing, as always, and we had an absolutely fabulous waiter. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- memorable experienceShubhansDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I took our friend here for his birthday. The food was excellent; so was service. Definitely worth the price.Special Features: