Rasika West End
1190 New Hampshire Avenue, NW.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Rasika West End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2024662500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Vikram Sunderam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We can cater events from 10 to 1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer three private dining room options.
The Library Room seats up to 36 guests for a sit down dinner and Stand up reception for 60 guests.
Window view Private room seats up to 10 guests.
Glass enclosed Private Dining Room in the Kitchen seats up to 8 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Atul Narain 2024662500x
A word from Rasika West End
Rasika, which is derived from Sanskrit meaning "flavors,” is the award-winning modern Indian restaurant owned by Ashok Bajaj. Leading the kitchen is Group Executive Chef Vikram Sunderam, a 2012 nominee for Best Chef Mid-Atlantic from the James Beard Foundation. Rasika has consistently earned four stars in the coveted Dining Guide of The Washington Post, and is in the top tier of Washingtonian magazine’s annual “100 Best.” Esquire magazine named it among the country’s best new restaurants in 2008 and Food & Wine magazine also stated that Rasika is “One of the hottest restaurants in the world.” Rasika showcases authentic Indian fare prepared on the Tawa (griddle), Sigri (open barbeque), as well as Tandoori and regional dishes. The restaurant is also noted for its international wine list, innovative cocktails and intimate, plush dining room. For private dining, Rasika has an exclusive space that can seat up to 16 guests and a semi-private area for up to 28.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Rasika West End - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Rasika West End reviews from OpenTable diners
515 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (387)special occasion (309)hot spot (165)romantic (123)neighborhood gem (123)good for groups (122)great for lunch (109)notable wine list (90)great for outdoor dining (75)vibrant bar scene (54)late-night find (31)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (16)scenic view (6)Show More
- Love at first biteGrEATfoodDined on 9/20/2014So glad we got in! This place is one hot ticket. Our entire group Cannot stop smiling or stop talking about all the great flavors. Tops were the crispy spinach and a cauliflower dish. That said it seems a bit unfair to pick a favorite because every dish we tried was amazing. Rasika is our new favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love RasikadirectorDined on 9/20/2014Love the food, service and ambience. Wait staff attentive and helpful. One of my favorites.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014The food with the exception of the much vaunted spinach salad was over rated. We had a good sample of the menu and most of the dishes would be acceptable at your corner Indian restaurant, but not at a place considered the top 20 restaurants in the country! The biryani was flavorless and soggy, the chicken tikka was acceptable but no great shakes, the daal was better (my daughter who doesn't usually like dal loved it) but the fish dishes were bland and the spinach paneer failed to impress. So yes, not bad but not worth $$$$ and certainly less than the experience we were expecting.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 9/19/2014The flash-fried spinach appetizer is amazing. The black cod entree was superb, although the accompanying quinoa was too spicy. The naan was delicious. Service could have been more attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu is pushed- say noOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Almost all dishes on tasting menu were bland --not worth price. It was like Indian food for dummies afraid of spices. The spinach appetizer, the okra, and the veggies were best items, with some complexity. The meat and fish proteins were lackluster-- even extra cost featured black cod. No raita was offered with a $65 menu. Dessert was okay. I realized soon into the meal that waiters were pushing the tasting menu. That should have been tipoff! I will not return except to have a large dish of crispy spinach appetizer-- it set me up-taste buds were expecting rest of meal to be as great but it was big let down. I've eaten at Taj, London. Risaka couldn't bus their tables.
- Energetic & Pallettable DinningPhunigerlDined on 9/17/2014You will experience a great dining experience, due to the energized atmosphere and amazing & eclectic Indian Food. If you are looking for a quiet and romantic dinner, you may want to seek elsewhere as this place is definitely hopping with sound and activity. Our server, although very polite and professional, was not as attentive as we would have liked. We would've liked our dishes to have been introduced to us, as many of the dishes look similar. Overall however, I would definitely go back again and enjoy the experience.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodRVAfoodieDined on 9/17/2014Indian is not my go to cuisine but Rasika could change that. Fantastic food and a knowledgeable waiter created the perfect lunch experience. Can't wait to try dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall fair experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Too much noisy and crowded for a weekday dinner night. Average ambience and tables too close. Good customer service and friendly staff. Food was overall average however vegetarian options were limited. Avacado banana chat was worth a try. Thankful for the complimentary treat they were able to offer to my husband on his birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencesureshDined on 9/15/2014As I consider myself gourmet cook of Indian Dishes of North India, I do not like to go to Indian restaurants in DC area. Most of them serve dishes that are greasy and full of cream. But Rasika West End turned out to be a pleasant surprise, tasty food, great service. You can expect me there for lunch or brunch soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllensammyVIPDined on 9/15/2014This is my second visit. The first time I had dinner and couldn't wait to go back again. Everything was perfect! This time (lunch) was not memorable. The waiter was okay. We asked for recommendations without curry and "not too spicey". He wasn't helpful, even though he knew the menu well and did try. Service all around was just okay.Special Features:
- Long wait, so-so foodMarzVIPDined on 9/13/2014When we arrived the hostess did not acknowledge us for close to a minute. After giving her our reservation information, she told us they didn't have any tables available and to have a seat at the bar. Our table was ready ~20 min later. Once seated the waiter brought us water and left before we could place drink orders. He returned close to 15 minutes later to take drink orders. We quickly added our food orders since at this point we were more than 35 min past our reservation time. The drinks took another 20 minutes and the food about 10-15 after that. For all the waiting, the food was okay. We got charged for 2 orders of Naan but only received 1 and an order of pappadums that never arrived. Overall, not our best experience.
- Outstanding!!!!fabulousDined on 9/13/2014EVERYTHING is outstanding! I've been several times and haven't had anything less than spectacular! The service is superb with every waiter being very knowledgable with the menu. We always go with water recommendations and love everything we order. I can't say enough about how great this place is!Special Features:
- Fabulous!JubsandtheLooDined on 9/13/2014I had heard that Rasika West End was amazing and it did not disappoint. The food was phenomenal! Best chicken tikka masala I've ever had! The ambiance is great and the restaurant is absolutely beautiful. I would have given Rasika W.E. 5 stars but the service did not match the high standards of the food and ambiance; our waiter seemed hurried and when he came to take our order, I definitely felt rushed. Aside from the service, this was a great dining experience, highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent food, decor a bit muchKariDCDined on 9/13/2014Food and service were excellent. The decor was a bit over-the-top and become outdated quickly. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience and tasteBocaFoodiesVIPDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed dinner with great variety of menu items coupled with attentive service. Highly recommend when in foggy bottom or GWU area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biryani was not up to par thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Food was average. No innovation. Standard dishes were ok bit biryani was not up to parSpecial Features:
- Delicious, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Perfect for celebrating a birthday with friends. We loved every dish we tried!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Rasika, But Service LackingIlanVIPDined on 9/12/2014My part-Indian family and I generally love Rasika West End and think the food here and at their sister restaurant in the Penn Quarter is head and shoulders above any other Indian restaurant in the area. We were very disappointed with the table service from our waiter on Friday night, however. He seemed extremely rushed, was not interested at all in listening to our questions, and his descriptions of the food were completely unhelpful. He also seemed more interested in flirting with the group of young women at the table nearby than in serving us. In general, the service was extremely rushed and seemed off kilter and sloppy. The only exception was Rasika West End's sommelier. She was and always is polite, helpful, and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchChrisDined on 9/12/2014Met my daughter here for lunch on a weekday. I got there early and the bartender offered me something to drink while I was waiting...refilled my ginger ale and I wasn't charged. Excellent upscale Indian food, pricey but worth it for memorable occasions. Loved the ambiance and great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian in DCMattyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Everything we had was amazing. Service was prompt but not over attentive. Noise could be an issue for some people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not up to its ratingsdiningprofessorDined on 9/11/2014Rasika aims for an elegant and refined (slightly Americanized) Indian food. Rated by most online polls among the best in DC. Menu is novel and exciting. Started with Palak Chaat and a couple of the breads. Excellent - could make a whole meal of these. Then red snapper and grouper. Very good, but might be better to have meat and/or vegetable entrees as the spices (not chili, though) tend to overwhelm fish. Grouper was very flavorful but slightly overdone. Should have asked for it rare or raw, as I could have "cooked" it myself in the tasty but extremely sour lemon pickle on the side. Wine list is extensive but few modest priced options. Service attentive but not gracious. Several minor flaws kept it from living up to billing/price.Special Features:
- Wow!lkpruf715Dined on 9/10/2014The food is as good as others have reported. My husband described the spinach appetizer similar to cotton candy! It just melts in you mouth! Everything about the meal was outstanding,! Including our waiter,Tibor.Special Features:
- Great food Great serviceSSSSVIPDined on 9/9/2014Their "Palak Chaat" is the best dish of the night. The spice was perfectly balanced and was exactly as how the server described it to be: "It melts in your mouth."Special Features:
- Waiter was not helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/8/2014I don't know Indian cuisine and hoped that my waiter could have provided more information.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!KanyeNDined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing as always! Service was top! Will definitely be going backSpecial Features:
- Hit and missjohnnyjoeDined on 9/5/2014We had the tasting menu, most things were very good with a couple of poor things mixed in. The rockfish was bad, and the clams and chicken were a over cooked. However the spinach app and samosa were great, and the Black Cod was superb. A good experience and with a good staff, but a few inconsistencies.Special Features:
- Always one of our favorites.OmygoodnessVIPDined on 9/5/2014I have been to this restaurant over 20 times. Food was served to perfection, ambiance is great. Only negative this time was the wait staff. They were unusually slow. We were sitting in the library section. Party of 4. The waiter took a few minutes extra to take our drink/water order. Once we ordered a bottle of wine, we finished it within 20 minutes. I had to pour my own wine a few times for my friends, causing a little splash on the table. We wanted another bottle, and another waiter finally came to the table. I asked to speak to our waiter, he said, we are both handling the table. Wow 2 waiters, and still slow. They brought it right away. Once again, we poured our own wine. I prefer the wait staff to do it to prevent accidents.Special Features:
- Excellent food - service lackingFairportDined on 9/5/2014We dined at the restaurant last week with a fairly large group. We have eaten at Rasika (original) before and several of the party had eaten at West End. While the food was excellent as expected, the service was inattentive. It was difficult to get the server's attention and he really didn't check back to see what else might be needed. There was a fairly long delay before we could request the check. I didn't address this with management since it was more of an annoyance - altho I was trying to flag down a manager to get the check when the server finally came over.
- Beyond wordsArvodogDined on 9/4/2014The meal at Rasika is beyond words - the flavors are sublime and so unique! Food is fresh and vibrant.Special Features:
- Doesn't Miss---EverPenmanshipVIPDined on 9/3/2014We try something different every time and have never been disappointed. Wonderfully helpful sommelier. The signature spinach dish is worth the price of the meal. Now love the lentils as well. Great waiter in Ben. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service, not so good foodgudiyaDined on 9/2/2014Had very high expectations, but very disappointed, though the waiter Christoff from Poland was very knowledgabe about Indian food. Good service. Food came very quickly, everything was very salty the palakchat portion very small, we ordered the podina chicken, the 5 chicken pieces very not well done we had to struggle to cut them, the spicy shrimp Masala was ok very spicy with a lot of ginger and black pepper, shrimp came with white rice, but the chicken came with nothing so we had to order Nan on the side, smallest Nan I have ever seen in my life for $3 some dollars, I the whole thing was a rippoff. I will never go there again. Sorry Mr. Bajaj I am not impressedSpecial Features:
- grest dinnerrikkiVIPDined on 8/30/2014We met visiting friends who are goodies. Took suggestions from waiter and everything was wonderful. Particularly recall black cod for main course nd spinach appetizer so. Definitely will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingDisapDined on 8/30/2014Almost every review I read prior to going was outstanding. I went with 2 others and we all agreed that the appetizers were great, but the entrees were average. Everything contains many special twists and it may be that we were simply not sophisticated enough to appreciate that, but having eaten at many Indian restaurants all over the country I don't believe that the food was better than any of the others. Also, there were signs of wear in that our table was quite worn and needed to be repainted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice Indian Fine DiningAbhiDined on 8/29/2014A must try if you are DC and in to Indian food. Ask them about their specialty and consider ordering it. Neighborhood is nice and active. It was a two min walk from our hotel so didn't have to worry about parking.Special Features:
- WXYZVIPDined on 8/29/2014Sev puri tasted good. Chicken korma tasted microwaved - really not up to par Red snapper good Avocado and banana starter fair Apricot balls OK Much preferred the original location but that was 2 years ago
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Wonderful dinner - excellent, creative dishes, very good service. The black cod entree was amazing! It was our first time dining at Rasika West, and we found the food as good (or better) than the original Rasika, and we much prefer the Rasika West ambience.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerpeterboDined on 8/29/2014Innovative, tasty and well presented food. Knowledgeable, attentive service. If you are not familiar with Indian food (often disastrous in the US, while pretty good in the UK) this is a great place to go. The staff will guide you through the choices - and don't feel embarassed, 80% of your fellow diners haven't a clue what the dishes are either!Special Features:
- Go to Penn Quarter...PetworthVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was my first time at Rasika West End. I have been to the Penn Quarter location many times & love it. I have heard mixed reviews on this location but since it was near my office we decided to give it a try. The spinach was wonderful! Then the rest was just over salty - something I have never encountered in Penn Quarter. We were a party of three and ordered three entrees to share...Paneer Matar which was fine but the lamb korma and the grouper were so over salted that one of the people in the party could not eat either dish and only a couple of bites were taken from the rest. I mentioned this to a couple friends - they said they only go to Penn Quarter - West End can be hit or miss. So I will stick with Penn Quarter. Service was great
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014Food was fantastic! Wonderful blend of flavors. Renowned Palak Chaat was as good as everyone says. Tandoori lamb chops were nicely moist inside with a tasty crispy exterior. Sauce was a nicely tasty complement. Dum Biryani was also nicely flavorful. desserts were wonderful: Strawberry rose malai and Gulab Jamun.Special Features:
- fantastic foodaHappyDinerDined on 8/28/2014I was with a group of 8 and every one of us had a fantastic meal. I seek out quality Indian restaurants when I travel and this certainly rates among the best. The staff was very accommodating of our need to modify a reservation as well, even though it required moving some chairs around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.