Rasika West End
1190 New Hampshire Avenue, NW.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Rasika West End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2024662500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Vikram Sunderam
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We can cater events from 10 to 1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer three private dining room options.
The Library Room seats up to 36 guests for a sit down dinner and Stand up reception for 60 guests.
Window view Private room seats up to 10 guests.
Glass enclosed Private Dining Room in the Kitchen seats up to 8 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Atul Narain 2024662500x
A word from Rasika West End
Rasika, which is derived from Sanskrit meaning "flavors,” is the award-winning modern Indian restaurant owned by Ashok Bajaj. Leading the kitchen is Group Executive Chef Vikram Sunderam, a 2012 nominee for Best Chef Mid-Atlantic from the James Beard Foundation. Rasika has consistently earned four stars in the coveted Dining Guide of The Washington Post, and is in the top tier of Washingtonian magazine’s annual “100 Best.” Esquire magazine named it among the country’s best new restaurants in 2008 and Food & Wine magazine also stated that Rasika is “One of the hottest restaurants in the world.” Rasika showcases authentic Indian fare prepared on the Tawa (griddle), Sigri (open barbeque), as well as Tandoori and regional dishes. The restaurant is also noted for its international wine list, innovative cocktails and intimate, plush dining room. For private dining, Rasika has an exclusive space that can seat up to 16 guests and a semi-private area for up to 28.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rasika West End - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Rasika West End reviews from OpenTable diners
508 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (369)special occasion (313)hot spot (157)romantic (134)neighborhood gem (125)good for groups (111)great for lunch (106)notable wine list (89)great for outdoor dining (78)vibrant bar scene (56)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (21)great for brunch (20)scenic view (9)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014Food was fantastic! Wonderful blend of flavors. Renowned Palak Chaat was as good as everyone says. Tandoori lamb chops were nicely moist inside with a tasty crispy exterior. Sauce was a nicely tasty complement. Dum Biryani was also nicely flavorful. desserts were wonderful: Strawberry rose malai and Gulab Jamun.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureCarissaDined on 8/27/2014One cannot find better Palak Chaat in the city. All the meals were delicious. The Khubani Ka Kofta with apricots, potato dumplings and cardamom was a new, joyful find. Great customer service!Special Features:
- Over-hyped & not as gr8 as originalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014We've been to the original Rasika at Penn Quarter and the experience has always been excellent. We went to Rasika-West End thinking we would have an equally fantastic experience. It was truly disappointing. The menus were flimsy with a thin elastic holding a piece of paper together. It was very ungraceful. The chicken appetizers were nothing to be proud of. The entrees both veggie and non veggie were unimaginative. The presentation and the taste were very average. Our server was cold and felt like that he wasn't really interested in what he was doing. The cocktails were good though as were the desserts. The gulab jamun and the date and toffee pudding were amazing. Should go there for after-work drinks & maybe a sweet treat not for a meal.
- Great Food/Great environment!SamtheManDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous mealLPG1VIPDined on 8/23/2014We loved everything especially the signature spinach chat, a velvety eggplant appetizer, and a scrumptious black cod entree. And our waiter enhanced the experience with excellent suggestions and perfectly paced table service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014Consistently excellent. Our favorite restaurant in DC never disappoints. As always, the food, service, and overall experience were outstanding.Special Features:
- EatingoutwellEatingoutwellDined on 8/23/2014Excellent dining experience! Server quite engaged and helpful with menu suggestions. The small plates were delicious and the entrees lived up to the popularity of this restaurant! Conversation was easy despite all tables full. Highly recommend RWE for the relaxed atmosphere, noise level, food and wine options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rasika deliverslapetitegroceryDined on 8/22/2014We had a typically outstanding meal at Rasika on Friday night, August 22nd. The service was not quite up to its normal excellent level. It was a bit surprising. However, the meal was very good and the place is great all the way around. I am going to assume the service glitch has probably never happened before and will probably never happen again. Unless it does, in which case I won't be quite so forgiving.Special Features:
- LaserDocLaserDocVIPDined on 8/20/2014Rasika West never disappoints. The food, service, and ambiance are top notch. It's my go-to restaurant for visiting family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good in every aspectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The food, service, cleanliness and prices were great.Special Features:
- Surprisingly DisappointingGWR1VIPDined on 8/19/2014I know the reputation of Rasika is very good in DC, but my experience at lunch on a Tuesday was less than satisfying. The dining room is very noisy so I had a hard time conversing with my lunch partner. The waitress was harried and curt. We had been in the restaurant for 35 minutes before we saw any food. It then took a very long time to get the waitress' attention for the check. My tandoori chicken was unevenly cook, to the point where some pieces were dry and others so moist I was afraid they were under done. The cucumber and yogurt was long on soupy yogurt and short on cucumber. This would have to be a much better experience for me to return.
- Second time aroundSmansyDined on 8/18/2014Please please try the crispy spinach appetizer. It is wwonderful. This is my second time at Rasika West End. The food was good, but the dishes were served room temperature. It appears it may be due to the volumn. I will give them another try to see if they were having a bad day on my recent visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't compare to its cultureAliahm08Dined on 8/17/2014Pretty solid food, but despite it being so awarded, the food seemed rather mundane when compared to homemade Indian food. Being Indian, I appreciated the culture hitting the tops in DC, but it didn't reach not exceed my high expectations. But the prices I must admit are solid for the area. Overall a solid dinner, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner heOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014Food, service, and atmosphere were incredible. Just every aspect of the experience was perfect. One (small?) thing: I wish restaurants would enforce a basic dress code. No workout clothing, no shorts, no hats. I'd prefer collared shirts for men, but I suppose that's asking too much.anI cannot fault Rasika though, go there immediately!Special Features:
- West End deliveredFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Rasika is my family's choice for Indian food. The original restaurant is getting tired, it continues to be popular but I think it needs to be freshen up. I can tell because now when I go I don't wear my best outfit, because I smell of masala after dining there. We have now moved to the West End locus, it has a fresher feel, though lacking in authentic "Indian" feel that the original place offers. The food is equally good. We ordered palak chaat, sev batasa puri and cauliflower bazule for starter. We also tried the sea bass peri peri and that's a winner. Entree included lamb curry, chicken tikka, red snapper patia and bhindi chilli, everything was good except for the snapper, will not have it again, will stay with my usual black cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTootiekayDined on 8/16/2014We all had the chef's tasting menu and every course was wonderful. The service is very attentive. We will definitely go back whenever we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MillyVanillyDined on 8/15/2014Rasika lived up to the hype, the food was delicious it might be the best meal I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014I am actually quite mad at myself. I went to Rasika when they first opened. Everything was good, but just that, and so I hadn't been back since. Sooo....my coworker suggested it for lunch, as it was the last day of restaurant week and we should take advantage of it. And, I am so glad that we did!! The food was outstanding!! I can't remember all the names of the food, but we had the spinach appetizer and the mango one on crackers; butter chicken masala and then a spicy chicken; gulab jamun and the date toffee cake. I could not believe how delicious everything was. The service by Jenny was great! We were in a rush, and she got us out in good time, but still created an enjoyable time for us. Bo was also very sweet. I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in DCAnneVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is by far my favorite restaurant in DC. The food is spectacular, the service is great. Everyone I bring here is always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rasika never disappoints!TotalfoodieDined on 8/14/2014The food and service were amazing! I highly recommend the palak Chaat.Special Features:
- eatwellOpenTable7Dined on 8/14/20144 of us were at Rasika West for lunch during Restaurant Week. We each had something different for a main course. It was salmon, grouper, lamb, butter chicken. All of them were outstanding. The appetizers were also outstanding as was dessert. The service could not have been better. It was attentive and very professional. If I had the one restaurant to go to for Restaurant Week or any other time, this would be it. It is not to be missed.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!!NomNomAllaroundDined on 8/14/2014This was my jewel of restaurant week! The food was fantastic, uniquely delicious! The ambiance was impeccable. But the service was the true star! We had a small issue with one of appetizers...not only did they replace that order..but also replaced the others including the one they had already threw in for free. In the end they also comped our drinks and one of our meals..for a small issue. Talk about above and beyond. But back to the food...the Scallops Moilee .wa scream out loud good..seriously..try to stop yourself! The Palaak Chair was amazing...I have never had those flavor combinations before! The Gulab Jamun appetizer was so refreshing! My entree salmon tandoori was delicious. The date pudding was heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rasika is a prfect date nightAlwaysistomorrowDined on 8/13/2014The service, food, and drinks are always impressive. Tried the Tandoori Lamb for the first time and it was easily the best lamb I've ever had. My bf always gets the Chicken Tikka, but this time they made it spicy for him and he loved it. You MUST have the Palak Chaat (crispy spinach dish) as one of your appetizers. You won't be disappointed. I'm always a fan of Gulab Jamun, and I particularly enjoy their version with a side of Cardamom ice cream. Simply delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014This was my first time at Rasika West End. My husband had been trying to take me to the original one for a long time. So I was so excited when I found a reservation during the week for our anniversary. They food was wonderful, service was great, and the staff were so nice and recognized our special celebration. Sometimes places forget even after you make a note and remind them. We all want to have a little fuss on our big days. So thank you so much Rasika West End for making our night wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Must have the spinach dish! Everything tasty - great service - portions a bit small for men but otherwise great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch during Restaurant WeekSatisfiedDinerDined on 8/13/2014Lunch was a delightful experience from both a food and service standpoint Received complimentary appetizer and it was taking a long time to process our order, which was very thoughtful Only objection, was that the main course followed too quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food!dunnsoffcVIPDined on 8/13/2014We went to West End for the first time during Restaurant Week. Although the service was a bit slow, but understandable because of Restaurant Week, the service was attentive and the food food was delicious. We had been many times at Rasika on E Street and have been always been impressed by this remarcable restaurant. West End is just as good. Amazing food.Special Features:
- LYNDA DINERlyndadinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS...WAITER SEEMED CONFUSED AND SERVICE. AMBIANCE WAS OK. LOVE RASIKA...FOOD IS A HIT!Special Features:
- First TimerOmnomnomDined on 8/12/2014It was my first time here, actually my first time getting Indian food not in a buffet, and I thought it was very good. The only critique I have is with the plating. They put the ice cream in a small holder, but they gave me a large spoon, so the ice cream kept sliding around. Either a bigger plate or a smaller spoon would have fixed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014The food and service were great! I went for lunch with co-workers for restaurant week. They had an great selection to choose from, which is not too common during restaurant week. The setting was very nice and we were able to have a quiet and delicious lunch.Special Features:
- A great Indian RestaurantfoodloversDined on 8/11/2014The food was superb, with tastes that were exquisite and enjoyable. The Lamb curry dish had tender pieces of lamb in a delicious sauce, not too hot, but certainly not bland, the same goes for the chicken curry dish. The service was very professional, with all questions being answered; timely service, but not rushed. A perfect meal in very nice, relatively quiet, surroundings. A great introduction to novices, as well as those very familiar with Indian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful tastespatpDined on 8/11/2014For a Restaurant Week meal, this was very good. We had a nice choice of dishes and were provided, upon request, with a dish that was not listed on the special menu. This remains one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian FoodzizlandVIPDined on 8/11/2014Honestly, I'm more of a fan of their Penn Quarter restaurant. The menu is more fusion and interesting. While the food here is good, it is (basically) pricey Indian food. Not sure I'm thrilled with the value. Also, service, while OK, isn't what I'd expect for a restaurant of this caliber. I'm not steering folks away - just managing expectations. On a plus, ingredients are quite good. I could tell the chicken was free-range and appreciated the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NamastaiNamastaiDined on 8/11/2014The food at Rasika West End is the ultimate in Indian dining. Flavors are vibrant and delicious and the food looks as good as it tastes.Special Features:
- Little brother / sister makes goodJessicaDined on 8/11/2014The original Rasika is my favorite special-occasion restaurant, now that Palena is gone. Rasika West End is also marvelous, but quite different in atmosphere. The food is from the same general well as Rasika, but the presentation is different. RWE is shiny and light-filled, much less Indian in decor. You order pretty much a la carte. What comes out of the kitchen is imaginative and delicious, of course. The service is exemplary, even during the Restaurant Week rush.Special Features:
- GaryGallDined on 8/11/2014Food was excellent as always. No dropoff for Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- 4 for dinnerRalphDined on 8/9/2014Excellent as always. We do love the palak chaat! Wish I had the recipe! Excellent service.Special Features:
- Falling FastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014The food has really taken a turn for the worse since the last time I ate at Rasika West End. Very disappointing.
- Trendy & Hot, but priceyquest4foodDined on 8/6/2014The food was an explosion of flavor...great Indian food...but pricey for normal items such as Tika Masala. Rice and saucy food can be just as good for much less $. Probably would not go back due to the cost. I have had great Indian Fare that cost much less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendAbbyDined on 8/2/2014Food quality was average. Waiters crowded our booth and conversed amongest Themselves. I had to ask for water. Overpriced menu. Not worth the drive From virginia. For a special occasion, this was not worth it.