25 West 8th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
MalaysianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rasanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 254-1888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12:30pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Malaysian, Sushi
- Executive Chef: Tommy Lai (Mitchelin starred Chef)
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Catering: For large catering orders, please call one day in advance.
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th Avenue
- Public Transit: Subway: A,B,C,D,E and F trains.(West 4th Street Station) N and R trains. (8th Street Station) 6 Train (Astor Place Station)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Metered Parking from 8am - 10 pm except Sundays. Night Parking Regulation: No Parking between 11pm - 6am All Days.
A word from Rasa
Chef Tommy Lai, the first-ever Malaysian chef to receive a Michelin star in New York together with his sister and co-owner, Camie Lai who both hail from the state of Selangor in Malaysia are opened Rasa, a 52-seater restaurant and bar in the heart of Greenwich Village. The establishment features a Malaysian-inspired menu as well as dishes sparked by the sibling’s extensive travels in South East Asia. Traditional Malaysian dishes and street food like Penang Assam Laksa, Yong Tau Foo Curry Mee, Hokkien Prawn Mee and Beef Rendang take the center stage at Rasa. Other favorites such as Roti Canai (tossed fluffy flatbread served with a side of chicken curry), Malaysian Savory Cupcakes (steamed rice cakes with dried shrimp paste, pickled radish, fried shallots and scallions), Malay Curried Wings (traditional dish fried with turmeric and curry spices), and Curry Puffs will also feature on Rasa's menuContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rasa reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (16)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great feelMGomesDined on 11/25/2014The food here is amazing. Roti canni and the calamari is fantantic. Mouth watering!!! The environment is so nice, the lighting and the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nasty service nasty food.Anon2santVIPDined on 11/16/2014Nowhere close to malaysian food. Save your money and run as fast as you can.
- Dissapointing1NewYorkerVIPDined on 11/8/2014A well reviewed restaurant that sadly was quite disappointing. Roti Canai was good, but they offer a single piece as an appetizer and the grease was intense and, the dipping sauce was essentially tasteless. Satay chicken was excellent and the best dish of the evening. Their feature dish, Penang Assam Laksa was OK with the broth being overwhelmingly fishy. Crispy Fried Chili Chicken was again OK with little taste in a dish that promises to be not only tasty but spicy. Steamed Hainanese Chicken was absolutely tasteless, the theme of our meal. The fare was so "Americanized" it was like eating in a mid-American strip mall. Sorry to be so negative, but it was a wasted meal. SO many better Malaysian/Pan Asian restaurants in the City.
- DeliciousdknyDined on 11/1/2014Went to Rasa with a group of 10 on a Saturday night for a birthday party. The food was great, ambiance was just right and we had a really nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stress your preferencecrystalDined on 10/31/2014Food was overall very good, but a few tips. My friend very specifically asked for no meat, seafood, fish sauce, etc. Her dish came with a big piece of chicken in it. Another friend asked for very little oil, and found her dish (Eggplant basil) floating in it. The restaurant was accommodating and replaced both dishes. The Ma Po Tofu was delicious, but very spicy, although not marked as such. The roti canai was fantastic, and a must have.Special Features:
- Truly authenticAdinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014One of the more authentic Malaysian/Singaporean restaurants in town. Fairly good selection of appetizers; notable mentions to their crispy fried squid and fried chicken wings. Authentic favorities are generous in portion so go in a group so that you can order more dishes to share. Good service and moderately priced.Special Features:
- MikoVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food! Very friendly staff and great service! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood FindAndreaBDined on 10/15/2014Everything here was good and the attention paid to the customers was excellent. This is a nice neighborhood find and I love that you can get both Malaysian and sushi.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSahrahmanDined on 10/9/2014Went to Rasa with a large group of friends (8 of us) and we all had a phenomenal experience. Very good friend and extremely friendly service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Delicious!RetiredGourmetVIPDined on 10/6/2014This neighborhood restaurant is unpretentious but the food is outstanding. The portions are large and the prices are very affordable. It feels like you are being served by a very courteous family. Loved it!Special Features:
- Rasa DivineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Visiting from Ohio, I totally loved everything at Rasa. A place I will definitely visit and bring friends everytime I visit NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something Differernt on 8th StreetBobLDined on 10/1/2014Just a terrific place for asian food with a bit of a twist. There is also a robust sushi menu to select from. The Malaysian appetizer and entre selection was very good and very authentic. Service was warm with personable owner and wait staff. Very reasonable priced and great for a change of pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Asian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Grilled black cod and massaman curry were amazing! Will definately come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Malaysian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/18/2014Rasa is the #1 Malaysian restaurant in the city. The quality and authenticity of the food far exceeds the other Malaysian restaurants in the city. I come from a long line of Nyonya homecooks, including a grandmother whose reputation as an exceptional cook has lived on decades after her passing. The food at Rasa is comparable to that of my grandmother's, my mother's and all my aunts'. I have eaten at Rasa regularly since discovering it a few months back, and regularly means once a week!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/12/2014Although I cannot comment on whether it is authentic Malaysian we greatly enjoyed the sof shell crabs and a green bean stir fry. Flavors in each dish were distinctive. Would deinitely revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy!Connoisseur21Dined on 9/12/2014I went for dinner at Rasa, and while the Hainanese Chicken Rice was to die for, the noise level at the restaurant was simply too high. Ended up with a splitting headache, and left as quickly as possible. There is something about the place which makes sound bounce, plus there were a number of tables where the patrons were just entirely too loud, often screaming at one another at one stage.Special Features:
- Asian DelightchefmecheVIPDined on 9/7/2014There are plenty of sushi places in NYC but very few Malaysian, so we ordered from that side of the menu. The flavors were outstanding--squid, soft-shell crabs and tapioca were the star choices. Service was sweet and efficient.Special Features:
- Great low-key spotcbnycDined on 9/2/2014Delicious food and wonderful service. Extensive menu.Special Features:
- Best Crispy Calamari Ever! EtcCTMalayFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Slightly spicy calamari, ordered a second round as soon as we had the first bite! Kampung Fried Rice really tasted like home. Assam Laksa (warning, this dish is a seriously Malaysian dish!) is better than the ones at home! Will definitely be coming back soon.Special Features:
- satufromfinlandDined on 8/2/2014The food here was ok, but nothing special. The service was better than the food itself, and the staff was really kind and attentive.
- Authentic Malaysian Dining!!goodfoodgoodtimesDined on 8/2/2014My sisters and I lived in Malaysia for years and are always on the hunt for the authentic dishes we used to love. Not only was the food amazing, the staff was all incredibly friendly. Pinky, who I assume was the owner, came and talked with us about the dishes and what their vision was for the restaurant - her genuine hospitality and care added to the overall experience and we had such a great time at dinner that we returned the next day for lunch, before leaving the city. We have even begun planning a return in the winter, in order to bring more family in for the experience. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys flavorful, exotic cuisine - especially Malaysian/Indonesian.Special Features:
- The following 21 reviews are from the Rasa reviews archive.
- Almost like being in AsiaPickyeaterDined on 7/20/2014Friendly warm atmosphere and brunch toast with perfectly soft-boiled eggs reminds me of my childhood in Asia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Authentic Malaysian FoodGlanimalDined on 7/16/2014Delicious and authentic Malaysian food. Must gets are the Assam Laksa, Mamak Mee Goreng, Maggie Goreng, Chicken Satay, Otak-Otak, Pulut Panggang (Special Order) and Ais Cendol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved italexVIPDined on 7/6/2014They have kaya toast for brunch. Highly recommend their brunch menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/29/2014I gave them a 2 star for lack of professionalism. In my reservation through Open Table I requested quiet table for 6, the restaurant didn't read that and placed us at a table right by the entrance to the restaurant. On top of that, they automatically added 18% gratuity to the bill (after tax) eventhough the menu stated 18% gratuity will be added for a party of 8 or more. There were 6 of us. Overall, not a pleasant dining experience.
- First time at RasaMrSmokeVIPDined on 6/19/2014My daughter and I went to Rasa to try a Malaysian restaurant for the first time. My daughter ordered the crispy chili chicken and asked for it less spicy. Turned out great. I went for pad Thai instead of something Makaysian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous flavors, great pricesFoodieNYCVIPDined on 5/10/2014Sensational, very flavorful food at reasonable prices. A mix of Malaysian and Japanese (sushi). The green curry was terrific with plentiful shrimp, jasmine rice cooked to perfection. Sambal was topnotch and the sushi was delectable and ultra fresh. The only problem was that it was Saturday night and got incredibly loud. The restaurant needs soundproofing badly, but that wouldn't stop me from going back to the killer food.Special Features:
- Even better second time aroundGENYC718Dined on 5/3/2014I decided to go to Rasa for a second time and both my date and I were more than satisfied with the service, ambiance and food. I highly recommend Rasa for anyone looking for either good Malaysian cuisine or to try something different. You can't go wrong.Special Features:
- A wonderful, authentic, mealshigetosanDined on 4/19/2014Rasa - what an unexpected surprise! Back when Jiro Dreams of Sushi came out we followed the viewing by going out for sushi... and my choice of restaurant (to remain unnamed) had A nice ambience but entirely forgettable sushi. I was thus carefully optimistic that Saturday night's plan of watching Ilo Ilo, set in Singapore, followed by a meal at Rasa might par nicely, and it was perfect. The problem with most ethnic food is one has to sacrifice ambience for authenticity, and this was thankfully not the case. Great service, great Laksa, Hainanese chicken (I've traveled frequently to Malaysia, Singapore, etc) and the mostly Southeast Asian crowd celebrating a beautiful Saturday night seemed to agree. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Asian DishescitywalkerDined on 4/14/2014I've been to this restaurant 3 times in the past months, love the food and service. Very fortunate to have Rasa in my hood, where I know I can always have a wonderful meal and enjoy conversations with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedGENYC718Dined on 4/5/2014This was my first time trying Malaysian food and it was a great experience. The staff here is excellent, the food is very good and they even topped off our dinner with free shots from the bar. Would come back here without hesitation. If you haven't gone, go, you'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastePickyeaterDined on 3/29/2014Authentic cuisine, top-notch service, and really hits the spot.Special Features:
- Authentic Malaysian food(I think)OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2014Food is delicious and light. We have gone twice and plan on going back again.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicechristinetDined on 3/12/2014I had the best Nasi Lemak in all of NYC. I grew up eating Nasi Lemak so I know one when I eat one. The service was excellent - very friendly and attentive staff. I just wished I lived closer to Rasa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Malaysian FoodYindyDined on 3/11/2014A little pricey compared to the Malaysian restaurants in Chinatown but this is also a much more convenient location to get to. The food as I've mentioned in the title is really good. As a born and raised Malaysian, I can definitely say that the food here is as authentic as it can get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rasa is great!JonDDined on 3/9/2014My friends and I love trying new places and we found Rasa. We made a great choice. Food is fresh and savory.Amazing Malaysian flavors. The owner, Kemi, was so welcoming that she even shared some of her secret recipes with us. We will surely dine here again. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Delicious Malaysian dishesKCNYVIPDined on 3/8/2014Loved the aromatic laksa noodle soup & rich beef rendang. The crispy calamari is really light and full of flavor-- a great way to start the meal. Don't miss the char keu teow-- we really enjoyed it-- all of the noodle dishes looked great at other diner's tables, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Malaysian food in New YorkDanielDined on 3/7/2014Compared to any other Malaysian restaurant, Rasa definitely is the finest. The ingredients are fresh and every dish, in south East Asian spirit is boldly flavored but still refined. A perfect example is the char kuay teow - a dish known for its charred, rich smokey taste, is perfectly executed here. The roti canai is wonderfully fluffy and their nasi lemak comes with the most authentic sambal & ikan bilis. Not everything is aimed at authenticity though - the chicken satay does not come on a skewer and it's already tossed in the peanut sauce but it's definitely a highlight on the menu. Their sambal kang kong is slightly milder than you'd find elsewhere but definitely something I ordered twice in one sitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a great restaurantnickDined on 2/19/2014This was a great restaurant and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Malaysian FeastKCNYVIPDined on 2/9/2014Really enjoyed our first meal at Rasa. The rendang beef was so tender and flavorful. Had the roti canai, crispy wings, and calamari-- roti is prepared with a savory curry sauce. Calamari is unique-- very light puffed batter with a hint of chili. Loved the laksa-- less oily than other restaurants yet it has a very rich broth. Will definitely return soon. Lunch time on a weekend was really pleasant- the staff is very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.