Rare, the Steak House
440 Main Street
Little Falls, NJ 07424Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Rare, the Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rarestk.com/
- Phone: 9732566699
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Greorio Polimeni
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: On and off premise available
- Private Party Facilities: Private Rooms Avialable 7 days a week. Wine cellar and coach room upper level
- Private Party Contact: Altin Zhuleku 9732566699
A word from Rare, the Steak House
When you’ve got a yen for a succulent flavorful steak cooked just how you like it, at an exciting new establishment, suburban in convenience, urban in design & attitude…Treat yourself to a Rare experience. At Rare, it's all about the steak. Select cuts of prime Dry aged beef, cooked to your specifications, are presented with your choice of exceptional side dishes. Selections from the Raw Bar include oysters, colossal shrimp cocktail & Rare's "shellfish extravaganza", a combo of delicacies. For those who hunger for something other than steak, choose from lamb, veal, poultry & fish entrees that are expertly prepared & plated. Wine aficionados take note…Rare's cellar is home to just the right Glass or bottle of wine with which to accompany your meal. Rare boasts a generously sized bar, the perfect spot to unwind, socialize & network after a hard day's work & commute. For exceptional dining so close to home, simply reserve your table, sit back & enjoy the Rare experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Rare, the Steak House - Best Restaurants in Little Falls ›
Rare, the Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (17)romantic (13)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Come for steaks, but love baconPeterDVIPDined on 9/13/2014The steaks, salads and lobster bisque were very good. Brussel sprouts were simple,but perfectly cooked. You must try their bacon, it was amazing. More like pork belly. Wine list was limited, but nice selections at reasonable mark up. The noise level was very high. Something about the accustics.Special Features:
- eatsalotDined on 9/13/2014Better than your average Steak House, there 's more offerings in types of food ( beef, fish, or pasta). There's a no rush atmosphere and the staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak?LittleFallsGuyDined on 9/11/2014If you like your porterhouse dry, no fat, tasteless & no favor, you will get it all in Rare. Even the draft beer taste funny.
- FantasticBlandishmentDined on 9/2/2014Food was fantastic, in fact the three of us agreed they were the best steaks we have ever had and well worth the price. Our server Crystal could have been more attentive but it did not matter because of the food. Noise level was about what you would expect. In addition to the steaks all the appetizers including their pasta was incredible. One minor complaint was the rare fries looked like we had gotten the bottom of the batch as there were lots of tiny pieces which were inedible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SteakhouseGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 8/31/2014Rare is a good, not great, Steakhouse. Our appetizers took over an hour to arrive, our steaks were on the overcooked side and the service was OK at best. Much improvement is required for it to rival many of the better NJ Steakhouses such as Roots, Rod's, etc. The only highlight was the Manager, who was very understanding and did his best to make it a nice evening for our group.Special Features:
- Steak and so much moreDonnytDined on 8/31/2014From the moment you enter the Restaurant you are graciously greeted with a smile from the maitre d. The staff is attentive and friendly and knowledgable. Filet Mignon is probably the best i've had in years. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Average...at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/29/2014This is my third experience at Rare and truthfully my worst. Let me begin with a positive. The bar staff is well trained and accommodating. Now I offer some 'improvements'. I ordered not one but two bottles of wine that didn't match the vintage on the menu. The server apologized but never communicated the matter to the GM. The GM stopped over after the meal and claimed 'it was the distributor's fault'. Rather ironic since I heard the same excuse last year. The porterhouse was cooked perfectly but not the best quality of meat with little to no age with the cut. Certainly didn’t present like Prime rather a Choice cut.
- Great FoodAnneDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed a Sunday evening dinner at Rare. Good prices, good food, I have this place close to home. The desserts were great, all around nice place to go. You can enjoy the atmosphere...not loud. Have been there many times and have never bee disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best To DateSeidelsprayco1VIPDined on 8/22/2014Had a great meal! The food and service were outstanding. Sat at the bar with Lisa and Lexi and everything was great. Boys night out and it couldn't have been better!Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceNJFoodieDined on 8/21/2014As an avid NJ foodie I must say I really enjoyed my Rare experience. Service was outstanding & the ambiance was pleasant. Overall the food was wonderful & the only real complaint aside from the atrocious parking is the toughness of the meat. Compared to a few of the other local restaurants that specialize in fine dining both their special Angus cut and the Milk Fed Veal chop were a bit on the tough side although otherwise perfectly cooked to temperature. I would give it 4.5 stars if OpenTable allowed it. This would, however NOT deter me from going back again. I can't rave enough about their appetizers & amazing Whipped Potatoes with Crème Fraiche. Don't overlook the desert either. I look forward to my next dining experience at Rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouseKatseDined on 8/2/2014Rare knows their steaks and is happy to educate. They have a very good pasta selection from their sister restaurant Il Tulipino. I wasn't impressed with their fish selection. But then again, why get fish when you can have the best steak in Essex County?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare is a rare findluv2dineVIPDined on 7/29/2014A great neighborhood restaurant serving great foodSpecial Features:
- Rare...a great SteakhouseMadelineDined on 7/22/2014Everything about our dinner was fine except the creamed spinach. The only other concern that we had was that although the food was good, it was very pricey for the area. The type of restaurant you might go to as a 'treat' but not go on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Place!SteveSDined on 7/14/2014Food was excellent and they showed you the cuts of meat before you ordered which was nice. Monday night was very quiet, but the place is a bit small so definitely get reservations for busier nights of the week! The wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Loud noise leveldougie53Dined on 7/12/2014The noise level in the dinning room is unbearable, service was slow and the food was just ok very disappointed.
- Amazing Steak!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014The filet was "melt-in-your-mouth" and the rest of the dinner complimented the meat admirably. Great service, comfortable atmosphere and reasonable prices. The menu has some hard-to-find items that make this restaurant a "go too" choice for the serious meat lover.Special Features:
- A meat lovers dreamluv2dineVIPDined on 6/30/2014I f want a great piece of meat cooked to perfection, Rare is the place to go. The service, the attention to detail and the expansive menu make this perfect for any occasion.Special Features:
- Fantastic.NJBeerSnobDined on 6/27/2014Just simply a great steak house - great service and perfectly cooked steaks. Can't wait to return.
- it was greatbutchersdaughterDined on 6/22/2014No need to look for another steak house to eat at when we have one in our back yard very, very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love red meatIlovebbqDined on 6/20/2014Great place to find an excellent selection of red meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificNewsjunkieVIPDined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is terrific in every way great food good service ,friendly staffSpecial Features:
- gotogeezergotogeezersDined on 6/18/2014Steaks are always prime & done exactly the way you want it. Service is excellent. Manager Steve treats you like an old friend, which makes the whole experience wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My Favorite SteakhousesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014Been here several times, just with my wife for birthdays and anniversaries. Never had bad service nor bad food. We would get an appetizer each and an entree and never have room for dessert. When I order my steak it is always cooked the way I like, the Mrs. orders fish almost always but this past time ordered a steak and was cooked perfectly for her. We celebrated my Flag Day birthday on Fathers Day, and was greeted with how I preferred to be greeted since I had flipped my days around. The Maître 'd is always friendly and always makes his rounds as well as the servers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014I thought for the price of the lump crab cocktail you would get a little more than that. As for the Filet, really nice piece of meat. I thought the rub could have been a little apparant. The lobster tail was cooked well, with nice seasoning. All in all, a nice experience.Special Features:
- Daniel b dayJMCout4dinnerDined on 6/13/2014We went for my sons birthday. Accidentally we made our reservation for Thursday an when we didn't show Steve called to make sure we were ok. Explaining our situation that we wanted Friday night he accommodated us. After dinner he surprised us with a birthday cake for the whole table of 8. Thanks again Steve for a great night out for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm , friendlyNewsjunkieVIPDined on 6/13/2014My favorite restaurant , I highly recommend it. I frequent it several times a month Good food and fairly pricedSpecial Features:
- great findluv2dineVIPDined on 5/27/2014A gem away from the big town hustle and bustle. The best meat around anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 454 reviews are from the Rare, the Steak House reviews archive.
- After GraduationsignofthebeefeaterDined on 5/18/2014We were very early for our reservation. Called Rare, and they said come in any time your table is ready. Early arrival was good as some in the group were traveling. Oysters were fresh, and great. We ate seafood, beef and pasta, and all were excellent. Wine list was great, and all found one to match there taste. Overall a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak.Totowa67Dined on 5/17/2014This was my third time to this restaurant and all three times I have ordered the Ultimate Cowboy steak . and its been great everytime.If your a steak person don't hesitate to get it here at Rare you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time Not Like the FirstAltutorDined on 5/17/2014This was our second time eating at Rare. The minestrone soup special was nothing more than broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini in a clear broth. Beans and/pasta was not even included in this app. The tomato and onion app, while not the fault of the chef, had some tough spots to chew on inside of the tomato. The grass fed steak and veal chops, while cooked nicely, were heavily peppered. I typically don't mind extra pepper, but this was a bit much. I was tasting pepper long after our meal. I am not, at this point, tempted to go back, especially for the cost. I want to like the restaurant given that I love a good steak, but these few things didn't make us feel good about our visit.Special Features:
- Great SteaksSirSlickDined on 5/11/2014Rare in Litttle Falls, is a terrific spot the food is superb. Great for a special occasion, and a perfect spot for a date night. Will return again soon.Special Features:
- My mom loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Service and good were great. As long as my mom enjoyed it for Mother's Day I'm fine :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatLauraDined on 5/8/2014Dining at Rare is like dinner with old friends, it's always a good time. Steve knows how to take care of his guests and the food is always amazing. This time I had the lamb chops with the frizzled onions -just fab!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerSnowbunnieDined on 5/4/2014I would rate Rare a 6.5 out if 10. Our dinners were amazing. The steak we ordered did not come with a side, just a piece of broccoli. With the meals, there was no salad to start. I feel like everything is set to make them more money. It was our first time at the restaurant and probably will be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentBubblesVIPDined on 4/27/2014Have been to rare on several occasion and the Food, Service and Overall Experience has been very consistent. Rare does not miss a beat. Everyone should go at least once for a very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent dinneroutfordinnerDined on 4/23/2014Outstanding dinner. We had the veal and the lamb. More than enough and most of all really delicious.
- Outstanding!HatetocookDined on 4/20/2014This restaurant is definitely a top of the line restaurant! From the friendliness of the hostess, the attentiveness of our server, and the outstanding food, this restaurant is a must!Special Features:
- Just WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/19/2014This is a great restaurant and as good as the other restaurants owned by the Polimeni family. We highly recommend it for dinner and not only for their wonderful steaks, the seafood and appetizers are all very good. I have yet to be disappointed. Thank you Greg and family for opening this great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than SteakJazzyDined on 4/19/2014The Lunello family of restaurants assure their customers that there is attention to detail, quality food which is not prepackaged, and decent wine selections and informed wait staff to help with pairings. We had scallops, grass-fed sirloin, lamb osso bucco, and spaghetti, with one of the daily special salads and oysters appetizers. All items were prepared properly - not overcooked. The coffee makes our top 10 list. Staff is cordial & attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fooddiner07Dined on 4/18/2014Our whole family had dinner at the Rare Steakhouse for a birthday celebration. We had the octopus with marinara sauce for appetizer, it was surprisingly good. I had the 12oz prime steak medium rare and it was perfect with a side order of Broccoli Rabe. My bro had the Veal chop which he demonstrated how good it was by picking up the bone to finish what was left. Overall good food, but as the place got busy, we had to look for our waiter and flag him down a couple of times. other than that it was a very good dinner for all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.