Rare Steak and Sushi
615 2nd Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rare Steak and Sushi
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rarempls.com/
- Phone: 6127529595x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri 7am-2pm, 3pm-10pm
Sat-Sun 9am-1pm, 4pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Chano Bustamante (Sushi) Aaron Merrill (Kitchen)
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are willing to deliver to many local businesses in the Downtown Mpls area. Please contact us at 612.752.9595 for more details
- Private Party Facilities: Multiple options including space for as many as 175 or as few as you would like.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Cooney 6127529595x
- Special Events: Multiple private spaces available. Able to accommodate groups up to 175 people. Contact us at 612.752.9595
- Public Transit: Bus stop directly in front of hotel.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Northstar Ramp located directly across the street in the Crowne Plaza is validated for $3 after 4pm on Weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday. Just ask inside the restaurant for a validation ticket.
A word from Rare Steak and Sushi
Premium grass-fed beef and sustainably sourced sushi. Food that tastes as good as it makes you feel. And a casual, yet upscale dining experience.Continued
It’s rare. But you can find it here.
It’s rare. But you can find it here.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rare Steak and Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
great for lunch (7)special occasion (6)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- mehDavid11011Dined on 9/20/2014Food was meh. There are definitely many better alternatives for a steak in Mpls
- Would never go againtimdrakeDined on 9/19/2014The sushi was not fresh and my steak was overcooked.
- underwhelmedkimbDined on 9/17/2014The service was slow. The sushi was nothing special. The atmosphere was underwhelming. The prices were fair. I would not recommend and I will likely not return.
- TravelinggalDined on 9/12/2014This is my second time dining there. Both times food has been amazing. First time I went there during holiday season and it was crazy busy. This last time in September super dead. Not sure why. Food was great. Lovely atmosphere. Maybe advertise more- get a groupon going and a better sign on the street. You barely know it's there since it's in the upstairs of a hotel and there's no good signage. Have some louder music playing too. That's all I have to say! Great service and amazing sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi - Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/12/2014This was our first trip to Rare steak and sushi. We waited over 10 minutes for a server to greet us. We were then told we had 5. Minutes to order off the happy hour menu, only we didn't have a happy hour menu. They only gave us the all you can eat menu. The server said he couldn't guarantee getting us happy hour food "it was out of his hands" even though we waited 10 minutes for him. We literally had to hold our bill out and stop him so we could pay. The Sushi was some of the best I have ever had. However, I won't go back becaus the service was horrible.Special Features:
- Great sushi and grass fed beefSpoiledbrat4Dined on 8/1/2014Great service, great food and drink. Has a nice relaxing feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!RebekahVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great service, delicious food. Followed delicious recommendations from our friendly server! The cheesecake with caramelized banana and pecans was amazing. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great business lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Good food & a quiet relaxed environment great for discussing business or getting together with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitRenaeDined on 7/5/2014It was quiet and not very busy at 7:00 on a Saturday night. The waitress was helpful with suggestions. I enjoyed the duck. My husband was satisfied with #9½ sushi Roll, but not spicy, and he would try something different next time. I think the all-you-can-eat sushi bar might be the way to go. We'll try it again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014The worst. I walked out half way through dinner. They didn't make me pay which was nice but best call of weekend to leave.
- AYCE Sushi TuesdaysNYCFoodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Stumbled upon this place on a Tuesday, which is their All You Can Eat sushi night. For $29 it's a steal. This was the second time back, and we were with a decent size group of work colleagues. Food was decent, however service was lacking. Slow, and just not on the ball. I'd go back, but just for the Tuesday special.
- The following 325 reviews are from the Rare Steak and Sushi reviews archive.
- Not RecommendedChristinaVIPDined on 5/16/2014First impression was that there was barely anyone in the restaurant. We got seated by a host that didn't even hand us our menus, but just left them in a pile on the table. It took probably quite a while for a server to even greet us - so long that we were considering walking out. We were planning to have dinner there, but got such a bad vibe that we decided to have appetizers and drinks and go somewhere else for dinner. We had a beef tataki appetizer and a Mexican sushi roll. The roll was very good, but the tataki was overcooked, tough, and dry as dirt - really awful - so that further reinforced our decision to go elsewhere for dinner. Service left a lot to be desired as well.
- They don't serve weekend lunchMooreDined on 5/10/2014Open table fail. I made an 11:30 am reservation on Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. They were only serving continental breakfast. Huge fail! Nowhere did they describe their offering for that time other than the normal menu. Nobody called me or sent me a message.
- AWFUL experience~kayleewDined on 5/5/2014I brought a client to Rare and we ordered our lunches, 45 minutes into waiting, the server informed us she had forgotten to put in our lunch order, 20 minutes later the food came out, and my client's chicken was literally draining red it was so undercooked.....we split the sandwich I ordered, and the comped the lunch....but 2 hours and terrible attention by the server we were done. I will never go back.
- Great dinnerCattDined on 4/26/2014The food is good and the service was excellent. Everything was cooked well, the water glass stayed full and the waitress checked multiple times to see if anything else was needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushicountrydocDined on 4/25/2014Henry and Angel prepared great sushi for my wife and I. We enjoyed the food immensely. The service was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014Food was good, service was poor. Steak sandwich was delicious. The best French fries I have had for a long time. Unfortunately our waitress was inattentive and slow.
- Great restaurantLsfsDined on 4/1/2014Best steak and sushi we have ever had. Worth the money, great service as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousThatGuyDined on 3/9/2014I am always in search of good, local, organic, pasture-raised foods, and this place is definitely it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable FAILFrustratedDined on 3/8/2014This site allowed me to make reservations for noon on Saturday, when the resteraunt does not open 'til 4 pm. It really sucked getting there and finding the place closed.Special Features:
- We ordered the sushi and itPIRABDined on 3/3/2014We ordered the sushi and it was fantastic. Loved the variety! Will be going back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodDissapointedDined on 2/22/2014The food was outstanding and the service was OK unique and strong menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Hostess I've ever EncounteredOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014We had a reservation here on Saturday, 2-22. We walked in and the hostess was talking to a gentleman that appeared to be from the hotel. She didn't greet us, so we waited nearby to be seated. She looked at us several times but did not once acknowledge us. We were worried if we sat ourselves we would sit in an area inconvenient to the server or at a table that may have been reserved for another party, so we waited and waited and waited. After about 5 minutes of standing at the entrance of a practically empty restaurant we sat ourselves. The hostess never came over to us to say anything and repeatedly stared at us. Throughout the entire meal she stared at us, which was invasive and annoying. She basically failed at every aspect of her job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2014David was our server and did an excellent job. He was very attentive and made sure to meet all of our needs. Our food was delicious and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing DinnerVdayVillainDined on 2/14/2014We love Rare and it is typically fantastic. This time was Absolutely terrible. They had a fixed-price menu for Vday. Sounded great. Don't get it. The salad was put together haphazardly. It literally looked like someone took a handful of salad and plopped it on the plate. Zero presentation. Next was the soup. Well it had been sitting out for a while and was lukewarm at best. Next we got the filet, only it was pre-cut and sized to save a step so we would get out of there asap. The steak was cooked to our liking, but the damage was already done. The dessert was mediocre. We were literally in and out under 80 minutes and couldn't even enjoy our evening. Needless to say we won't be going back anytime soon.
- Overall goodjjfoodguyDined on 2/14/2014Had valentines day dinner there. It was very romantic with candles at every table, customer service at the front desk was very friendly and nice, they even gave a flower to my girlfriend. The service of the waitress was mediocre, meaning it was took awhile to get our food and order but it doesnt bother me because Im engaged in conversation with my girlfriend. The food: sushi was not very good, gas station quality... but the steaks were very good, I got the bison steak and she got the hanger steak and they both were delicious, i just wish they had A1 sauce.. the fries my girlfriend got were pretty good too along with the vegetables and whip potatoes we ordered. The price was worth the special occasion but other than that it was a good nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Dined at Rare Steak and Sushi for Valentine's dinner. Food was good. Service from kitchen extremely slow. Definitely needs to be more selections for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Dinner was good. My date was greeted with a flower from the restaurant and we were seated right away. Food was good. Service was a bit slow especially since the restaurant wasn't that busy. Our waitress was good, and I think the problem probably came from the kitchen. We had a four course dinner with wine pairings. The problem was the food took so long to get to the table that we had our wine finished by the time the food it was supposed to be paired with arrived.Special Features:
- Valentine's DayStephenDined on 2/14/2014Surprised by how good it was after seeing a reservation available for Valentjne's Day at 6pm! I thought that might reflect on the quality of the food, but it was great! My girlfriend and I both had steak, and they were both cooked perfectly and had great taste! I would recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty goodDaveDined on 2/14/2014The food was really good and our waitress was attentive. Only bad thing is that the restaurant has two sides and they put us on the bar side so it was a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good food.BradDined on 2/14/2014I have been to rare twice now, once for lunch and again for a Valentine's Day dinner. Each time I had a rib eye steak. The first steak was great but the second one was a bit disappointing because it have a little to much seasoning. The restaurant is very nice, atmosphere is good and the service was good, though a bit slow.Special Features:
- GoodCboneDined on 2/14/2014Sushi was great and fresh. We got the hanger steak and it was really good. My wife loved the steak and I thought it was pretty good. The steak and potatos wasn't very well season or not at all seasoned but that's ok because I think that's what the chef was going for and it was still tasty. The Mexican roll was my absolute favorite. Would get two net time! Deene brûlée was amazing as well. Double points for having anchor steam beer available. Service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal!SteveDined on 2/7/2014Stopped in to have dinner before a show. Servers were prompt and very personable, and they even took a few minutes extra to make sure our experience was nice. Because we were in early, we caught the after work crowd, so the place was packed and high energy. Never even had to mention that we were needing to be at a show. Great experience for us. We had some items from both sides of the menu, and it was all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatfacestufferDined on 2/2/2014My husband and I went to Rare as part of our honeymoon. It was perfect. The sushi was beautiful and delicious, the steak was perfectly prepared. The side vegetables were seasonal, colorful, and rich in flavor. The service was constant yet not intrusive. Our server was particularly knowledgeable and patient with a couple of newly-weds who were taking their time. My husband enjoyed his cocktail. Our only regret was not having room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was great, unfortunatelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014The service was great, unfortunately the sushi was sub-par. The appetizers and wine were very delicious.
- Trained staff neededmysterydinerVIPDined on 1/17/2014We dined at Rare Steak and Sushi for my birthday. Unfortunately as we entered the restaurant there was a medical situation. We walked past and were seated. Our server didn't know the menu and couldn't answer my questions. She did admit to being new which explained that but still no excuse. Find the answers or send someone over to assist. The manager was apologizing to each table and told us to ask if we needed anything. What was she offering? A free cocktail? Maybe an appetizer? Unclear and we didn't receive anything. The food was good. We may go back but unlikely considering there are many other options. I'm the most disappointed because we were staying downtown for the night and we had our pick of spots and we chose the wrong one.
- Wonderful dinner!MattVDined on 1/14/2014We went for all you can eat sushi on Tuesday night. This is a much better quality than your typical AYCE setup. While you don't have access to their full sushi menu, they do have a ton of great options. The rolls were big, the pieces of fish were big, and the flavor was outstanding. I've had some so/so servers here in the past, but our server this week was one of the best I've ever had! Definitely come check out this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serving both steak and sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2013Serving both steak and sushi this is a good place if you just can't decide. Sushi as an appetizer and steak as your main course. If you are set on one or the other there are better places in the city, but this is a good choice if you just can't decide. I would return to give this place another try and hope that the service is a little better.
- We were one of 4 people inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2013We were one of 4 people in the place so it was quiet, but it does have an open atmosphere so I could see where it could get loud. Our waiter was great and the food was delicious. Their drinks were appropriately priced and good. I will defintely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swing and a missdecentseafoodforMSPVIPDined on 12/21/2013Great atmosphere, but the food was MORE than bland. Same as I'd get at Ground Round. Very disappointing. Sushi was very sub-par as well, on keel with the prepackaged stuff at Target. This place is an AVOID on our list now.