Rare Chop House
224 South Tenth Street
Mount Vernon, IL 62864Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Rare Chop House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rarechophouse.com/
- Phone: 6182447273
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Liz Phelps
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We feature several private dining opportunities for your meetings, parties, showers, celebrations, and everything in between. We feature a Semi-Private dining area adjacent to the main dining floor behind frosted glass that can hold larger parties of 20-25. For your private needs we have the "LJB Room" complete with a Board Room table that seats 12 comfortably, a media center that plugs directly into our 60' Big Screen TV on the wall, a private entrance, and beautiful Art from all over the world. RARE requires only a minimum purchase of $500 to reserve the LJB Room. Call us directly for availability.
- Private Party Contact: Brandon Bullard 6182447273
A word from Rare Chop House
Come and enjoy the region's most exquisite culinary experience, from our open kitchen, to our Wine Room with 1000+ wines from all over the world, to the unique culinary cuisine prepared by the one and only Chef Liz. Exceptional Food and even better service await your palate here at RARE Chophouse, just off the square in Mt. Vernon! Visit us online at www.rarechophouse.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rare Chop House - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
Rare Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)notable wine list (20)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (17)romantic (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (9)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Wonderful Delightful ExcellentWilsonVIPDined on 10/15/2014And not because it's the only game in town ... but because it truly is a wonderful culinary adventure do we recommend this restaurant. The steak is wonderful. Scallops are very well done. The bread pudding is excellent and their best desert. There is a very decent wine selection. Service is very good too. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful visit over all.Firsttimediner1Dined on 10/11/2014My husband and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary here. We didn't have any wine but I had an amereto sour which was perfect. He had rib eye cooked medium rare and LOVED it. I had bourbon salmon which was quite tasty. It was homecoming night for the high schoolers so there were more younger people there. The noise level was higher than I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sioux49Dined on 10/11/2014Very attractive Bar area with live music. Large Dining area with varying size tables to accommodate any size party. There was also a private dining, or meeting room beautifully decorated with electronic devices for presentations. The menu was one of variety in price and selection. The choices we made were delicious.Special Features:
- The BestOutstandingDined on 9/27/2014Rare was the best dining experience ever. The best steak or meal my girlfriend and I have ever eaten. Great food, great service. We have already recommended to several couples. We will definitely drive the hour just to dine there again for a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodDined on 9/26/2014Our waitress was excellent and very courteous. Atmosphere was nice. We would go back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Illinois TreasureDAWGDINERSDined on 9/26/2014Friends recommended this amazing restaurant as a destination for special occasions. We did just that & were pleasantly surprised to find a dining experience on par with those in many large cities. Great wine list; all 4 entrees (we opted for beef filet, lamb chops, pork tenderloin medallions since they're the specialties) prepared perfectly; interesting salads, sides; made on the premise desserts. Dressy or business casual. Wish it was closer to home but well worth a long drive. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendsdineDined on 9/12/2014Bright spot for So IL dining. We enjoyed delicious Bourbon Salmon (great sauce and not over-cooked) & the Chef 's pasta special (had a little "kick" to it) Attentive and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to improveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The food has vastly improved since our first visit shortly after their grand-opening. While it's pricey, the menu selections and food quality are close to what you might expect in St. Louis...without the long drive. I ordered the NY Strip steak, and it was outstanding...well seasoned, well cooked, perfectly trimmed, and a big juicy hunk of tender beef. The calamari app was also very good. Her scallops were also excellent. Both entree's came with one side. Bread would have been a nice addition, but none was offered.Special Features:
- EmemDined on 9/9/2014We went to Rare for our anniversary . My husband got the fillet, it was Excellent. I got the ribeye, it wasn't good, it was cut too thin and overcooked. I would go back again just not order the ribeye. Everything else was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceLks47Dined on 9/6/2014We had a party of five for dinner. We were seated in a smaller area behind frosted dividers and noise level was great. Our waitress, Shanna, did an excellent job. Two ordered ribeyes and smashed cauliflower. Cooked to perfection. The shark steak and crab cakes were also great. My husband ordered the special, stuffed pork chop- it was cooked to hard abd brown and the meat was dry. Our overall impression was very good. A little pricey but nice to have for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIUEparentSIUEparentDined on 9/5/2014Overall very good I should have known from the name Rare Chop House I should have ordered my steak well done, not medium rare, a little to pink for my tastes but still very good, wife had the pork and enjoyed it. Lots of wine choices went with house melotSpecial Features:
- NathantelluthetruthDined on 8/28/2014Everything was delicious. All around we had no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We love going to RARE! We typically only do it as a special occasion but we look forward to the opportunities to be able to go. Great food and the best service in town.Special Features:
- Rare Chop House Rocks!DriveTheHillDined on 8/18/2014I made reservations through Open Table for our first visit to Rare Chop House. The ambiance was excellent for a quiet meal. The decor was something I didn't expect in Southern Illinois. The 1880's industrial building was highlighted with huge exposed steel beams, exposed ceilings and brick walls and complimented modern furnishings and art. The unique lighting cast an even glow over the dining area. I I chose the daily special that was a delicious 10 ounce New York Strip steak that was cooked perfectly to medium rare. It was seasoned with a patty of crab herb butter and salt and pepper. The meat was juicy and flavorful. My wife had the Bourbon Grilled Salmon and it was perfect as well. We will be making the 60 mile drive again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014We had threel different entrees and they were all excellent. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Servers did a great job at meeting our group needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday & Anniversary celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We were celebrating a 68th birthday and a 47th wedding anniversary. Prompt seating as requested for reservation. Server was exceptional and food was excellent. the appetizers were very good, cheese and fruit tray highly recommended. Steaks were sized just right and cooked to perfection. Salmon and tilapia were also prepared to perfection. Service and food were definitely 5-star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Date Night PlacehungrymommyDined on 8/2/2014I found Rare Chop House online while looking for a place to go for our anniversary. What a find! So wonderful to have a place to go on a date night without driving hours away. I don't know what lunch prices are, but dinner is special occasion pricing for us, but perfectly reasonable given the ambiance and incredible service of the establishment. Steaks were cooked to temperature perfectly and dessert was mind-blowing. My husband's response when we arrived was "Wow, babe, great job" in reference to surprising him with a reservation. We will most definitely go back and will recommend it to our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014restaurant in a small town in downstate illinois but expensive with chicago prices. you have to buy salad as well as bread and butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RAREDined on 7/25/2014RARE was indeed a rare find for such a small town in southern Illinois. My wife and I had an delightful evening and will certainly look forward to more fine dinning at Rae Chop House!Special Features:
- Great foodWineLoverVIPDined on 7/22/2014I am from the Bay Area and I was there visiting family. What a nice sir pride to find a quality restaurant in this small town. Great waiter, great food - I will go back whenever I am in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealbah123Dined on 7/22/2014We found this place on the internet when traveling through Mt. Vernon. What a pleasant surprise. The food and service were excellent. My husband had the salmon and said it was one of the best he's ever had. I had the chicken plablo (sp?) which was very tasty and tender. We had delicious mushrooms for an appetizer and very good cheesecake for dessert. We'll definitely go back when traveling in IL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommendDandBDined on 7/16/2014Happy to have such a nice place in the area. Food and overall experience was very good. Will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014Today, I own and operate a special event planning company. My background also includes having worked in food and beverage senior management for Ritz Carlton Hotel company from coast to coast. This restaurant not only meets, but exceeds my expectations and standards of excellence I would expect from a restaurant operating at Ritz Carlton Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Rare Chop House reviews archive.
- Good Food - very slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Had a dinner meeting on a Monday night for 6. First time at this restaurant. Food was good, a little over priced for Mt. Vernon. Food was priced like a Downtown Chicago Steakhouse. The slow service was the most troubling. Few other patrons, but it took 30 minutes to get entrees after salads. We weren't looking to be rushed, but weren't looking to spend all night there. Overall, I with this restaruant the best, I just hope they become more efficient in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- retirement celebrationlovegoodfoodDined on 5/30/2014My wifes retirement celebration. Perfect! Had the prime rib special.Special Features:
- We love Rare!!!DAMAEODined on 5/17/2014We absolutely love Rare. The food is always top notch. I've never received anything that wasn't cooked perfectly and delicious. Their wine list and wine room is extraordinary, their bar is gorgeous. The ambience is always great. Anytime the owner is around he makes a point to stop by and ask about our experience. LOVE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An escape from Southern IllinoisSIdinnerDined on 5/9/2014Rare is a beautiful restaurant comparable to Chicago or NYC yet it is close by. We completely forgot we were in Southern Illinois. You can watch the servers, cooks, and chef at work through a glass window, which made it really fun. The chef came to the table and advised on dishes that could be customized to meet our special dietary needs. Everything was fabulous including the wine and coffee. The tables are separated sufficiently that you it is very private yet you are with others. We highly recommend Rare for an outstanding steak, a special occasion, or just an escape.Special Features:
- Great food in Mt VernonAztecfoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014This place is big city great. Good is excellent and innovative and service is excellent. The wine list is very interesting and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placelovegoodfood2Dined on 5/3/2014After a terrible experience at our previous "special occasions" go to, we decided to give this place a try. I ordered the fillet and my husband ordered the yellow fin tuna. We ended up splitting both meals because they were spectacular, down to the sauteed vegetables. The house wine was the perfect kind of semi-sweet and they had a good variety. The atmosphere was a little loud, however, it was prom night so Im sure this was the reason. The service could not have been better. Our server made us feel like we were the only ones in the place. We finished our meal off with a salted caramel cheesecake and a marshmallow martini. Now THAT is what real cheesecake should taste like. Will definitely be returning. I hope they don't change a thing!Special Features:
- Very Good FoodMrManDined on 4/28/2014Really impressed with how good the food was. We had steak and a grilled chicken. Both were excellent. As good as I have ever had. They have also done a very nice job decorating the place. You won't find a place like this nearby unless you travel to St. Louis. It even tops the finer dining places I have been to over there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another south-central IL gemstarmanDined on 4/25/2014Up until my first visit, the Firefly Grill in Effingham was my favorite area restaurant. The Rare Chop House is every bit equal in quality. Excellent, friendly service and terrific food.Special Features:
- Great TimeluvwineDined on 4/5/2014Fourth time we have been. Steak and service was wonderful. Seems, all the bugs have been worked out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations as usual!brandonDined on 3/21/2014I have dined at Rare multiple times for lunch and dinner. This was the second time with a large group. Rare really caters to groups so every member of the group feels special and attended to in a timely manner. Everyone had a spectacular experience - food was amazing and service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!RedBirdsDined on 3/15/2014Food was delicious. Server was very attentive (without overkill) & polite. Live entertainment was good also.Special Features:
- DinnerontherunDined on 3/12/2014Great restaurant. Food is on the expensive side but ambience, service is excellent and so is the food. Great place for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant around!DAMAEODined on 2/22/2014This has become one of our go to favorites! The atmosphere is wonderful, the staff is great & the chef is amazing. Everything we've had has been top notched. I've enjoyed lunch & dinner both and loved it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImprovedluvwineDined on 2/21/2014This was our third visit. The food and service have improved each time. We had the special, "Prime Rib". Very thick cut, cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portions inconsistentPortionsInconsistentDined on 2/15/2014I will start by saying how exceptional the food is. Great ingredients made well. We had a group of 8 and service excellent. The only complaint is that I've eaten there twice. The first time I ordered shrimp and grits. It was well prepared and included about 8 shrimp on a healthy portion of grits. The second time dining there, my husband ordered the shrimp and grits. He was impressed with the taste but we were really disappointed with the portion. It looked like a very small appetizer. It had 4 shrimp and a much smaller portion of grits than the first visit. He left hungry. I will say what he had was excellent, but wish it had been consistent with the first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and atmospheresteakraterDined on 2/15/2014Had a very good experience. Overall te food was great. The medium preared steak was perfect but the medium well was almost charred however did not ask for a replacement. Very upscale for the area and was a good experience for a special evening. The bar area is very nice and relaxing with reasonable drink prices. The main eating area was a little loud but there were several large groups. Will definately return.Special Features: