Rare by Drai's
8720 West Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Rare by Drai's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rarebydrais.com/
- Phone: (310) 360-1525
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Tuesday-Wednesday: 6:00pm - 10pm, Thursday: 6pm-10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm.
The bar & lounge: Tuesday-Saturday 5pm- CL
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Patrick Florendo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Julie Palermo 3103601525x
- Special Events: Contact
A word from Rare by Drai's
Rare by Drai’s is a modern, stylish and welcoming steakhouse by acclaimed restaurateur and nightlife impresario Victor Drai and international restaurant and hospitality group ESquared Hospitality. With the DJ setting the distinctive soundscape upon entry, a creative design aesthetic envisioned by Drai and an alluring bar and lounge, Rare by Drai’s offers just the right amount of excess to appeal to Drai’s Los Angeles-meets-Las Vegas sensibility. Rare is a new type of steakhouse with a French-inspired menu serving classics with a fresh, modern twist. Like all great steakhouses, meats and seafood take center stage, but in collaboration with Executive Chef Patrick Florendo, Drai has designed a menu that goes beyond the ordinary. Featuring signature dishes such as Whole Roasted Loup de Mer and Roasted Whole Range Free Chicken deconstructed and re-constructed for a shared table experience, the menu also includes all prime-aged steaks, butchered in house, and fresh seafood options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Rare by Drai's - Best Restaurants in West Hollywood ›
Rare by Drai's reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (6)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (5)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)fit for foodies (3)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- SlapshotDined on 8/27/2014The New York Strip was mediocre quality, the price was high, and the restaurant was empty inside. Lobster mashed potatoes were runny with very little lobster in them. The drinks were small in the bar, too many great places in Los Angeles to go..
- Cool vibe, great food!MauiDinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went to Rare with our family of four for an early (7 pm) dinner and were seated in the most comfortable booth I've ever been in. The decor is gorgeous, the servers were attentive, the food was delicious, and the vibe was LA cool without being pretentious. The place was packed by 9, but Rare still maintained its clubby feel. Definitely a new favorite for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014The place is very impressive. The food was great. The service was awesome. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of our server, the redheaded female with the blue eyes, she was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 182 reviews are from the Rare by Drai's reviews archive.
- BizLunchieDined on 7/23/2014High prices, fair food, & lots of empty tables on a Wed. night.
- Rare by Drai'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014I enjoyed the overall experience. I felt it was a little too pricey for the quality of food and drinks. I am not opposed to spending money on food, but this bill was about $50-$75 more than I would have like to pay. But other than that it's a good place to dine.Special Features:
- It's prettyWineAndDineDined on 7/11/2014They hired a great interior designer :) the place looks amazing but the food was just OK. It's not bad, but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go! And go hungry!keeperVIPDined on 7/8/2014Gone 3 times, always great! Had steak, chicken & scallops, every dish was amazing! Watermelon & goat cheese salad, fabulous! Beautiful setting full of beautiful people including all the staff. Worth every dime!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor serviceRebeckeesDined on 6/27/2014It literally took half an hour for the waiter to bring us our first cocktail, from the time we sat down. Generally the staff was not attentive and there was too much delay between courses. The food was solid steakhouse date but the poor service kind of ruined the experience for us.
- BillVIPDined on 6/21/2014Tasty dining at a handsome venue with attentive service.Special Features:
- Great service, adequate foodHelloMDined on 6/19/2014Let me begin by saying I received excellent service, from hostess, waiter & bartender. Really outstanding. However, the food was merely adequate, and over priced. Would def not return.
- Coud be great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014Food was great, drinks were great but our server sucked! Not the type of service you would expect from a restaurant like this. We had to call her over every time we needed something because she never came by to check on anything. It was as if we were sitting there. This happened last week (06/21/14) Saturday evening we were sitting outside.Special Features:
- It's an absolutely beautiful restMtluv2dineDined on 6/14/2014When we got our steak it was very disappointing because it was not hot at all I felt like my steak was sitting there for a while. I recommend the plates or the steak being hotter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good SteaksYeremhDined on 6/13/2014The portions were great, plenty of food and the quality of the Steak was perfect! Great tasting sauces as well as awesome service.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 6/13/2014Friends raved about the whole roasted chicken. It was good, but the ends were dried out. The Cesar had an interesting twist, made with a romaine/Boston hybrid lettuce. Very good! My friend had the steak tartar. It was good serviced with very good french fries. Not going back so soon, but the decor was like being in a respectable Bordello. Black and red with accents in gold~nice touch!! DianeSpecial Features:
- A Refreshingly Rare ExperienceAlakaLazloVIPDined on 5/31/2014One of the best dining experiences we've had in ages. Every dish was perfect. The lobster truffeled mashed potatoes are to die for! Apps, steaks, seafood, sides, deserts and drinks were all exquisite. The service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The decor is lovely. The noise level is just right. I really can't say enough good things about this place. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny. I suspect once they start publicizing themselves more, Rare will become a Hollywood legend (as was Le Dome at the same address). We will definitely be back. Kudos to all involved!Special Features:
- ToniNonicorVIPDined on 5/23/2014We were thrilled to find this magnificent restaurant in our neighborhood. Felt like we were in New York. Decor is over the top gorgeous and the steaks and sides were incredible. Definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not overly greatYumyumDined on 5/20/2014Came here last night for business dinner. Food was all good, nothing extraordinary. Service was polite and attentive. For your money, there are better steaks out there, but I would return, probably only on someone else's ticket.
- A feast for the eyesTonyTheSwedeDined on 5/13/2014Drai's is a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds. The design reminds of a good taste French boudoir where the stunning looking waiters and waitresses comes around with great food, always served with a smile and a "flirt". It's Hollywood in (West) Hollywood. Go for the meats, even though the moles frites was worthy of any French or Belgian restaurant. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- NoiseyMattsbVIPDined on 5/3/2014Good food, nice portions, excellent service but the dining room is extremely loud. They have loud electronic music playing. We ate at 8:30 on Saturday and the dining room was full. The music caused people to talk loudly in order to be heard over it which raised the noise level even more. I paid $300 for a dinner for two and we had to shout so the other one could hear. Not what I expected and pretty much ruined the evening. I won't be going back during a busy time.Special Features:
- Expected moreMarsDined on 4/18/2014We had gone for my sister's birthday and passed another very good restaurant to try this restaurant out. Ambience was great with mid century decor and comfy seating. The food did not hold up unfortunately - the steak tartare was a large "patty" on my plate and looked even a little brown. The New York strip was not tenderized and tasted bland. I didn't even finish either and I was starving. For a $400 meal for 4 people, I definitely expected better.Special Features:
- Disappointing changesAnonymous11VIPDined on 4/17/2014I dined with Rare when it first opened and loved it. This was my second time, and this time it has done a 180 and not for the good. Bartender did not know how to make drinks (overheard her say that she's normally the hostess but they had to have her fill in so maybe that explains that), the salad was limp and had 1 little artichoke only, the mushrooms were barely cooked this time and the potatoes were something a 5 year old could make. Meat was fine but nothing special. And the prices increased overall by a fair amount. Wont dine here ever again, and judging by the sparse crowd others feel the same. Back to Mastro's we go!
- an absolute mustjchav002Dined on 4/11/2014We were celebrating my mother's birthday.The hostess were lovely and friendly.Showed us to a table right away. The restaurant itself is beautiful (red black and gold). Any table is a great table. We started off with Roderer Estate and had the amazing Spicy Tuna Tartar, Burrata, and Shrimp. As far as entrees...the Pepper Steak is a must. My mother had the succulent Lamb and I had the Wagyu Ribeye.... all excellent choice. As far as dessert.... Frozen Godiva Candy bar and Bread Pudding were to die for. All in all, a great romantic place for a date,a fun energetic spot for a group of friends.Great hand-crafted cocktails! PS.The management team were stellar as well.They all stopped by to check in on us and make sure we were having a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was most impressed withFDDAATDined on 4/9/2014I was most impressed with RARE. The staff, the service, the ambiance, the décor and, of course, the food were sublime. Before I left, I made a reservation for a friend's birthday (who is also a fine dining devotee).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for ambiance not for foodArthurVIPDined on 4/5/2014Food was below average by any standard but the ambiance was nice good music and good drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The room is stunningly beautifulluv2dineVIPDined on 4/4/2014The room is stunningly beautiful and very sexy. We had a cozy table for two. The 'vampire cocktail' was great. The service was o.k. and the food was nothing to write home about. Would I dine their again now... but maybe hang in the bar or on the patio. Something to see once.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RareTasterschoiceDined on 4/3/2014Great steaks good service beautiful restaurant but surprisingly had many older couples and not packed on a Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Dining-Room, Good AmbienceCatherine0507Dined on 4/1/2014This restaurant is pleasant in spite of the very high sound level. The food is good, the service very attentive. However, our first choice of wine was unavailable. The second selection, a suggestion of the sommelier, had one bottle only. Our party of 4 therefore had to make a third selection. This is a sign of a poorly run cellar.Special Features:
- Transcendant...PartTimeFoodieDined on 3/26/2014To remember: (in no particular order) 1) *Wagyu Hangar Beef 2) Interview with a Vampire & On Sunset (cocktails) 3) Godiva Bars with gold flecks on top 4) Lobster mashed potatoes 5) Peppercorn steak 6) Loup de mer 7) Creme brulee 8) Milk & cookies 9) Jess, our server 10) Coconut ice cream To forget: 1) Calimari 2) Mac & Cheese These were good, but probably more efficient to spend your calories in more memorable ways. *I wouldn't even let my family speak to me as I savored the wagyu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- " Sexy " well describedMoLoDined on 3/20/2014In LA for work with my wife. Rare was recommended by our bartender at the W Hotel. It was a great choice! The food was outstanding. We are from Tampa home of the would famous Bern's Steak House. Rare was a " Sexy " hip version of Bern's with the same attention to detail. I gave my wife the good seat overlooking the restaurant, when we return again I will ask for a better table. They could use some more reasonably priced California Cabernets in th $60-80 range. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new steakhouseSteakloverVIPDined on 3/15/2014This restaurant is awesome. From the moment you walk in the décor to the cool DJ sounds you feel like you are at a cool spot. The service is great not to mention the food. We are very picky about our steak and don’t like a lot of steakhouses, but this one took us by surprise. It’s now our favorite steakhouse. The drinks are great and so far everything we have tried from steak to sides have been really good. With so many choices in LA, this place hits a home run. If you want to go to a place that is chic and cool with great service and food then look no further then Rare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Very disappointed...................very noisey, couldn't even here my lady> She knows Drai and she was upset. Bus boys were trying to take our plates before we were done....we left early and went someplace else for her Birthday Dinner!Special Features:
- I don't think I will be back.diningoutismymiddlenameVIPDined on 3/15/2014I don't think I will be back. Conversation was nearly impossible as the volume from the DJ increased so did the level of talking at each table. Asked if it could be lowered as we had two hard of hearing, told no. Ordered the steak tartate. So much wasabi, not what I would add, to the meat that the flavor of the beef was lost. Caesar salads were tasty. Beef was very flavorful, but the sea bass rather bland. Creamed spinach was not creamed. Best part of the dinner was dessert. Very good chocolate chip cookies and creme brûlée. Wine ridiculously expensive. Wait staff were attentive and helpful. Sadly, I was disappointed. Ran in to friends when we left, they too will not be back. Celebrating a 21st b-day, thought they would do more.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, but poor food....MooreDined on 3/8/2014Came in for an early dinner after work, not dressed for dinner but had the wagyu ribeye and was served the 10oz strip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Attend Hot Spot on SunsetBevHillsDinerDined on 2/24/2014I came into dinner last week with a friend and was amazed! The restaurant was beautifully decorated with similar designs of the first Drai's on La Cienega. Service was great, we had Elise and she was very helpful. The Interview with a Vampire cocktail is a MUST try as well as the On Sunset. The Calamari was addicting but the Spice Tuna Tartare was my personal favorite! We had the lobster mac & cheese and peppersteak which was all cooked to perfection. Luckily we sat at the lounge and was able to take a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest & Al Pacino entering the same night. This is definitely a new spot on the Sunset Strip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time, not a charmShawnoneDined on 2/18/2014This is definitely a hot spot place to be seen. Plenty of celebrities and industry people. Food is great but service was lacking. I would go back eventually when I feel like burning some cash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare by Drai Expensive not worth itDrRevenueVIPDined on 2/17/2014New, lavish, and very much over priced. From the pretentious $ 50.00 a bottle corkage charge to the over-all pricing of all of the dishes this is a restaurant you can skip. The "creamed spinach" was a poor excuse for a dish that I love. They presented a bunch of spinach leaves with some mediocre cream sauce. The cheese and mac, why reverse it? was dull, dull, dull. The steak was nothing special for $ 55.00. The only thing really worth anything was the buratta starter. This combination of persimmon, strawberries, grapes and candied walnuts was excellent--a great start with our martini's. The drink was nothing special for $ 16.00. Over-all this is not a restaurant to be excited about. Service was "OK" but again nothing special.Special Features:
- Capital "d", Delicious Filet MignonDuffyDined on 2/15/2014We had the best filet mignon in town. I had the bone-in-filet, while my wife had boneless. Both were absolutely delicious melt-in-your-mouth medium rare delights. They also have the best Lobster Truffle Mac & Cheese. Both filets and mac & cheese are definitely better than Maetros (And I like Maestros a lot.) Service was also spot on. Never waited for a thing. Go and enjoy a special occasion or just treat yourself. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's one of the best placeLovetoeatVIPDined on 2/7/2014It's one of the best place to have a great dinner. We had the Wagyu steak and the sides (sautéed mushroom and mac & cheese) was done just right. Not to forget, the appetizer (shrimp) was delicious!!! Rena's service was very friendly and knowledgeable. The epitome of a great dining experience. OneSpecial Features:
- BEST STEAK IN LOS ANGELESHayworthVIPDined on 2/1/2014Victor Drai has finally given Los Angeles the best steak in Los Angeles. Excellent food, excellent (if very young!) service, beautiful ambience. Overall, I give it a 10+. We had the T-bone for two - best ever. One small complaint: why not put the prices on the website menu? They're not so high as to frighten customers away! Also, cannot find the wine list on the website. Don't miss this very special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I felt like I was at the old Drai'sSusanVIPDined on 2/1/2014The room was sublime and felt like the old Drai's on La Cienega. The waiter, David, was incredible. The steak was cooked to perfection, tuna tartar incredible, the drinks delicious! The only slight negative was that the drinks were very expensive and very small. The glasses were so small, the ice cube large and there was only a few sips - for $16, they should give you a better sized cocktail!Special Features: