320 E. Grace St.
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rroysters.com/
- Phone: 8045450565x
- Hours of Operation:
Tues - Thurs: 11:30 am - 10 pm
Fri: 11:30 am - 11 pm
Sat: 3 pm - 11 pm
Sun: 3 pm - 10 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dylan Fultineer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Rappahannock is an arm of Rappahannock Oyster Co (www.rroysters.com), which provides mobile raw bars and seafood small plates for weddings, parties and other functions.
A word from Rappahannock
Upscale, yet casual seafood restaurant nestled in the historic Grace St. corridor of downtown Richmond, serving up seasonal dishes, craft beers, diverse wine, signature cocktails, and an enormous raw bar focusing on our very own oyster farms (ie, Rappahannock Oyster Co.). Rappahannock has assembled incredible talent to revolutionize the concept of farm to table.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rappahannock - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Rappahannock reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)vibrant bar scene (57)special occasion (56)hot spot (37)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (32)romantic (22)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (11)late-night find (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious combinationsFoodisfunDined on 8/30/2014Great flavors--deep and rich and nuanced. Oysters fantastic. Paella beautiful. Olive oil poached bluefish--perfection. Be sure to order lots of grilled bread to soak up the sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We have never had a bad dinner here. Always great service and incredible food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good 2nd Time AroundavapatDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I ate here for our anniversary last year and decided to make it a repeat because the food was amazing. This time the food was OK. The grilled octopus appetizer was fantastic and the highlight of our meal. The salad greens were tasty (local I think) but the salad itself was not memorable. I got the Bourride (fish stew) which is a beautiful dish but the egg that sits on top was underdone. The soup was tasty but some of the fish was overdone and the oysters were pretty much raw. I know it's a raw bar, but not what I ordered. My husband got the scallops and they were also very underdone. Scallops are tricky and he likes them a little underdone but they were pretty much raw. The dessert, panna cotta, was ok. We didn't finish it.Special Features:
- Good Overall / But OverpricedWahooChipDined on 8/29/2014Raw oysters fine. Civeche very good. Entrees for wife and I very good. Wine options extensive, but all expensive, even by the glass. $6 for can of beer over the top. Noise level pretty high, but expected for an area with a bar eating up a majority of the dining area. Great option for appetizers and a few drinks, but can get expensive. And finally, wait staff very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatBeachinit11Dined on 8/26/2014I went here with my husband and it was ok. Nothing great and we left still hungry. Portions are way too small and I'm glad we didn't bring our teens because there is nothing on their menu kids would eat
- Small portions, high pricesPHCVADined on 8/22/2014Perhaps their oysters are the draw but we aren't huge fans - of oysters or Rappahannock. We were hoping for a nice fish dinner of some sort. We had purposely not checked the menu, just wanted to be surprised. We felt our waiter was rushing us, although our reservation was 7:45 and we were the tail end of their rush that evening. I ordered the scallop entrée and was disappointed there were only 3 scallops (one large and two medium sized) for $26. It's a good thing I wasn't starving. My husband ordered the whole fish (can't remember what type of fish it was) but it arrived overcooked and burned. He was a good sport and ate quite a bit of it. We will not be returning to Rappahannock, as there are so many better places in close proximity.
- So good!PickyFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014Every meal we have here has been AMAZING! The oysters are perfect. Wine and beer list extensive and great pairings with mem hires. Fresh local ingredients that are just delicious. I'm gluten free and can eat here without worry. Love love love the atmosphere. We say this is definitely in our top 3 favorite restaurants in Richmond!! And in top 5 on east coast (including some great places in Charleston SC)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VarietyBethDined on 8/19/2014We went for the oysters and were not disappointed. Ended up liking the more raw oyster selections, but if you don't like raw, then there were plenty of cooked options also. Salmon (perfectly med-rare) and Paella dishes were excellent. Original mixed drink selections. Loved that the restaurant smelled like a campfire! Don't worry, it wasn't smokey. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience All AroundJAK1Dined on 8/16/2014Appetizers, entrees, beer, 'local' cheese plate dessert, and, of course, the oysters were fantastic. Top notch service from multiple staff as well. From approx. 6:45 PM until 9:00 PM the whole room was energetic (a very wide range of age groups), but never distratcting. I can't wait to go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Halibut Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014We dined on Saturday August 16. We had two types of oysters, which were both so fresh and delicious. But the highlight othe night was the oil-poached halibut, which was so tender and moist--it was the best we have ever had! The desserts, pannna cotta and crepe cake were also notable. The Panna cotta in particular was light and full of fresh fruit flavor. I'd happily go back anytime!Special Features:
- Special treat!jeanieDined on 8/16/2014Having the opportunity to eat very special oysters was a real treat. We were unfamiliar with some of the dishes, and the waiter was very informative, answered our questions, and made us feel like we weren't dummies. The wood-grilled branzino was outstanding. We are both from out-of-town, and very glad to have stopped by. Will return!Special Features:
- Rappahannock -- cool but pricy!!AARVADined on 8/12/2014the place is nice food is good but kind of too complex definitely pricySpecial Features:
- Excellent ChooceRichmond8Dined on 8/10/2014The food was excellent from the now famous oysters to my olive oil poached halibut to my brother's very tasty paella. Desserts were outstanding and the coffee, from North Carolina was unique and delicious. Great choice for great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmokyLisa0708VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was delicious -- don't miss the baked oysters. . The wood-fired dishes are sublime, but the restaurant is very smoky.Special Features:
- Great service and good Birthday!lovetoeatDined on 8/9/2014We brought my parents there for my Birthday dinner. Really good service - nice and knowledgeable! Mom had scollops - yes there were 3 - but they were huge and cooked perfectly - she was happy! Dad had paella for the first time and loved it! Hubby had the lamb - superb. I had the oil-poached Blue Fish - wonderfully flavorful. We will be back!!! Thanks!Special Features:
- Great for beer and oystersDabooshDined on 8/6/2014Fantastic beer and oyster selections. Best place to be is at the bar. Does not work well for business dinners -- very slow service and noise level too high for discussions. Cool place.Special Features:
- Corner gemRjonDined on 8/1/2014Rappahanock was great Friday night. It was raining all night long but did not keep us away from our first time to the restaurant. We had great meals with very good service. My son had a lamb dish that was to die for. I have to steal some and boy was it out of this world. The local lamb was very tasty and did not have the strong taste of lamb. The drinks were very good. The noise level is quite high even with the high ceilings. Good time. The panacotta desert was one of the best I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and the badBistroVIPDined on 8/1/2014I always like to try, so first I had 4 different types of oysters, which were excellent. I chosen the lamb as main course. Unfortunate my lamb was kind of cold and I told the server. I received a new one, which was very surprising, since last time I had undercooked fish and I was brought the same plate with the same fish last time. Unfortunate this one was very fatty and I was a little disappointed. Since I already had the first one returned I just didn't want to return my dish a second time. The taste of the little meat I gotten was great.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceWilliamsburgDaveDined on 8/1/2014We had a group of 5 on a Friday night. The ambience was ideal, the food was really superb, and our waiter (wish I'd remembered his name) was excellent. We order a lot of different apps. All of the oysters were excellent. And they were the small/mid size oysters like I like. The ceviche was truly awesome. My fiance ordered the scallops entre, and they were absolutely amazing. I lucked out since she filled up on the apps, so I got to enjoy a couple of her scallops. I've eaten as some of the best restuarants around the world, and I've tasted few things better than these scallops. Perfect. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!WineandseafoodDined on 8/1/2014Normally, I don't like oysters but there is something about fresh. Each one if us had to share out food, it was that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLovetoeatDined on 7/31/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. Our services was very knowledgable about the food and was very helpful in helping us make choices.Special Features:
- DeliciousOchomamaVIPDined on 7/27/2014We all loved each bite that we had!! Our group of 6 was treated to excellent service and wonderful food. This place is a real gem downtown.Special Features:
- Great find on Grace StreetmusicloverDined on 7/24/2014Delicious, delicious food! Our server was great, too. It was a little expensive but the salmon and scallops were to die for as were the desserts! I'm so glad that Grace Street is active again. Having grown up in Chesterfield and spent many Saturdays shopping at Miller & Rhoads and Thalhimers - the visit to Rappahannock Seafood brought back many happy memories! Parking was no problem either. There is street parking and a parking lot across the street but on the same block!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First VisitRVAFoodEVIPDined on 7/24/2014After all the positive conversation from about Rappahannock, we are glad we were finally able to enjoy their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!MyFaboritethingiseatingDined on 7/22/2014Like their quality of food and the service is also excellent! One of my favorite resaurant to go in Richmond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-concert dinnerJ2of3JsDined on 7/20/2014Family members got together for dinner before a concert. Food was fine. Tried 3 of 4 desserts and liked them all. Will return.Special Features:
- SmokeyCaptFantasticDined on 7/18/2014Got seated right at reservation time. Good selection of craft beer and wine. This place is very smokey--like enough to make your eyes burn. Waiter tried to tell us it was like this all the time due to the way they cook. You can't tell me the health dept. would let a restaurant open its doors much less serve food in this kind of environment. Our clothes reeked like a campfire when we got home. Overall, food was decent, but small portions--and the service was fine. If you're looking for a decent-sized filling meal, this is not the place.
- Great foodHistoryLoverVIPDined on 7/17/2014The place for seafood & fish! Wait times a little long , but food worth it! Seafood is wood grilled, so if smoke or allergies are a problem, this venue could be problematic. The grilled fish of the day is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but over-pricedN2BooksDined on 7/17/2014We arrived at 6:00 and the bar was doing a bumper business since it was happy hour. We wanted a bottle of wine, but settled instead for two glasses of prosecco on tap. My husband had the wood grilled salmon which was very good. I ordered the wood-grilled scallops--the entree, not the small plate. They were delicious but definitely over-priced for the portions. (I received 3 scallops) I was surprised that the menu was different from the various ones I viewed online. They must change it frequently according to availably of items. We had the peach/blueberry cobbler for dessert. The ice cream was the best part. Oddly enough, the waiter didn't ask if we wanted coffee. Overall, we had a nice experience, but we will not become "regulars."Special Features:
- smokySouthsiderDined on 7/15/2014Great raw bar. Good food, wonderful variety, however the wood grill and/or smoker, for some reason, can't or at least isn't properly vented outside. Warning if you are asthmatic or otherwise have respiratory issues, and for the rest of us, expect to go home with clothes that reek of smoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBlueblueDined on 7/13/2014Our party ordered the grilled octopus, rockfish & oyster bourride, grilled scallops, extra billy bread and Pearls & Oysters. All dishes, except the raw oysters and grilled bread, were vastly over salted. I'm not someone who avoids salt, my SO is always amazed at how much salt I put on popcorn, but this had me drinking lots of water. The flavors were good, but overwhelmed by the salt after a few bites. Our dinner was on a Sunday afternoon, so perhaps their best cook was off that day? Based on this one meal we will not be returning -- too expensive to be mediocre. Nice space, good service, disappointing meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014The food is high quality but you don't get very much for the money. Scallop dinner was only 3 scallops, the $14 beet salad was skimpy, but good, I had to eat when I got home. They put an automatic 20% grat on our bill. The service was ok, not mind blowing.
- simply outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2014Fresh, consistent, delicious-and not too heavy! Also really appreciated the special effort with birthday wishes...Special Features:
- great eats before cabaretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Rappahannock never disapoints. The food was wonderful. Had the grilled whole fish entre and octapus small plate. We were pressed for time and our server accomodated us without missing a beat.Special Features:
- Special TreatHappyDinerDined on 7/12/2014Party of four - we all enjoyed the food - especially the sampling of oysters, clams, and the paella! Our waitress was very knowledgeable, offering pertinent suggestions regarding both the food and cocktails/wine. It's not inexpensive, so wouldn't be a weekly visit if we lived there, but we'll definitely go back the next time we visit Richmond.Special Features:
- Amazing food, Helpful bartendersSFtoDCVIPDined on 7/10/2014Started at the bar--not your typical 20 something bartenders. Knew their wine, made cocktail suggestions, has great personalities. Oysters were a hit but the entrees were the highlight. each ordered fish, three different types, all cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Always a good meal at RappahannockRestaurantfavsDined on 7/5/2014We thoroughly enjoy the food and atmosphere at Rappahannock. The chef is imaginative and everything works. Cocktails are good, wine and beer list are extensive and prosecco's on tap - what's not to like? The staff is pleasant and knowledgeable. The atmosphere is sophisticated. We'd recommend it to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The food was wonderful---especially the scallops! They were tender---like butter. The beans and broth were incredible. The King Salmon was good as well, but not as much as the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey for what you getmrobesonDined on 7/4/2014Food was good and service was great with knowledgeable wait staff. Was very pricey for the amount of food you get. Nice wine and beer list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Richmond's bestJackAubreyDined on 7/3/2014Inventive chef; wonderful combinations to create each dish. Lovely decor. Great service. A really unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.