320 E. Grace St.
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rroysters.com/
- Phone: 8045450565x
- Hours of Operation:
Tues - Thurs: 11:30 am - 10 pm
Fri: 11:30 am - 11 pm
Sat: 3 pm - 11 pm
Sun: 3 pm - 10 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dylan Fultineer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Rappahannock is an arm of Rappahannock Oyster Co (www.rroysters.com), which provides mobile raw bars and seafood small plates for weddings, parties and other functions.
A word from Rappahannock
Upscale, yet casual seafood restaurant nestled in the historic Grace St. corridor of downtown Richmond, serving up seasonal dishes, craft beers, diverse wine, signature cocktails, and an enormous raw bar focusing on our very own oyster farms (ie, Rappahannock Oyster Co.). Rappahannock has assembled incredible talent to revolutionize the concept of farm to table.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rappahannock - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Rappahannock reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)vibrant bar scene (51)special occasion (46)hot spot (34)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (22)romantic (19)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Pre-Symphony MealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Six of us went to this Restaurant before a Symphony Concert. The food was excellent, the service was very good and attentive. The price was reasonable -- especially for such a good meal. We had to go a half hour earlier than originally planned as we could not get a reservation at the time we wanted -- over a week in advance. The Restaurant filled up very quickly and there were people waiting at the bar -- so reservations are really important.Special Features:
- Good spot before Centerstage event.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014We found the food to be tasty and the service was good. Our meals were fairly expensive- two meals with starters, drinks and tip- one hundred and fifty dollars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- titlewhateverDined on 9/23/2014The heirloom tomato salad was divine. The fish poached in oil was under-cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014So, the oysters were wonderful! At $2 each they add up though. The scallops and chicken dishes were executed well and were imaginative. Billy Bread was an additional order that may have been nice to provide a slice with the chicken to sop up the lovely sauce. Dessert was divine, I highly recommend the cobbler with peaches, berries and vanilla ice cream. Too expensive to attend regularly, but someplace special when celebrating.Special Features:
- very enjoyableckeithDined on 9/20/2014Pricey for what you get, but the food was really good and the service was excellent, surprisingly for Richmond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden surprisescackleyDined on 9/20/2014Went here as a surprise for someone special... knowing that this restaurant serves only locally grown items and supports everything local was a huge plus. The wait staff was very attentive; Andrea was readily available to answer any questions as well as making some excellent suggestions. Will definitely go again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandraDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant is more of a bar scene than a dining experience. It is a good place for oyster lovers. I found the fish entree to be totally overwhelmed by the sides.Special Features:
- Oyster heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Oysters for appetizer - outstanding! Paella for entree - best ever. Service was attentive and timely and we most assuredly will be back.Special Features:
- Nice but not greatmechreviewerDined on 9/19/2014First, if they waiter knows right away that he has to explain the menu then something is not quite right. I understand wanting to be trendy but just spell things out clearly, dividing salads, appetizers and entree's. I thought the choices in each category was very limited. With that said, the rock fish/ oyster stew was very good. My wife enjoyed the scallops. All perfectly cooked, but oddly one was undercooked. Also, the bread tasted like the grill. Priced a bit high for what we got. Nice interior. Enjoyed the industrial mixed with the old barn wood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- (Almost) Everything Was GreatRVAFoodieDined on 9/16/2014The tuna and the shrimp starters were fantastic. The pork belly, the scallops, and the lamb were FANTASTIC! The rockfish with oysters, however, was subpar. The service was great, as well. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate going back to Rappahannock.Special Features:
- Fantastic Shucker's ChoiceflavorseekerVIPDined on 9/16/2014The shucker's choice - 2 x 4 different oysters was excellent! The selection of beer very fine - we opted for a draft wheat ale. The only misstep was the crab cake roll - oversized and a bit stale it did not enhance what otherwise was a tasty lump crab cake. The mahi fish sandwich was well received. Perhaps the finest element to the meal - a cucumber salad was exceptionally tasty. Good vinegar seasonal cukes, sliced paper thin and seasoned with s&p. Simple yet elegant The same description for the peach cobbler - nearly all fruit some brown sugar topping and a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. Fine lunch serving simple yet elegant food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Poor service, pathetically small oysters, too expensive!
- RRRRRDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food. Smoky smell due to wood burning cooking. It does burn your eyes somewhat and the smell stays on clothes so be aware. Even with that I would highly recommend this place. Everything we had was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experienceRichmonderDined on 9/10/2014The large bar area was filled with men in dress shirts when we arrived at 6 pm. The men at the bar stayed long after the happy hour was over. Felt a bit strange to walk into a restaurant with men only. We could see why they came early and stayed late. Oysters are half price 5-6 pm and the food was delicious. We sampled three different types of oysters, and they were delicious. The dinner menu was varied and interesting. The entrée was served hot and tasted wonderful. The dessert was hot and tasted like it was baked fresh. A very good dining experience. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- RappahannockRVAfoodieDined on 9/6/2014As big fan's of Merroir, their sister restaurant, we were very pleased with our hometown version. Will definitely be back. Excellent.Special Features:
- Downtown Richmond hot spotsunsetdonVIPDined on 9/6/2014One block off Broad St. , 2 blocks from the Hilton & the Convention Center, 1/2 block to ample public parking. Older building with high ceiling and nice, vibrant atmosphere. The food was awesome. We had raw oysters (they were fresh & a good variety and we had the saltier ones). For the entree she had grilled scallops and I had grilled sockeye salmon. Both were outstanding. We shared deserts of Peach & Berry cobbler, and a Verbena Panna Cotta. Nice wine list but not a lot of selections although they carry some good Virginian wines, which is unusual for most Richmond restaurants (go figure). The wait staff is attentive and work well as a team. This area can be a little sketchy after dark, so I would book early sor travel in a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!holleezDined on 9/5/2014We've been to Rappahannock once before and the food was just as delicious! My boyfriend loves oysters and eats a dozen by himself. Both times we've been there, we ordered the pork belly entree. UNBELIEVABLE!!! I ordered the Heirloom Tomato Salad, which was good, but lacked flavor. He ordered the pork belly again, and I decided that's just what we'll get every time we go! IT IS SOOOOO GOOOD!!!!! The food is fresh and visually appealing. Long story short: go for the pork belly. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb but dessert disappointsWineandDineDined on 9/5/2014The service was outstanding, very attentive but not intrusive. Food was superb. The whole fish was certainly enough to split, as the server accurately said it would be between a pound and a half and two pounds. It was grilled to perfection and perfectly seasoned. Starter salads were great also. But disappointment came with dessert. The chocolate ganache cake we split was just not good...chewy and bland. Usually do not have dessert but thought we would try as everything else was so fantastic. Skip dessert or try something else. Definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!GTPRJamesDined on 9/3/2014A totally sustainable restaurant that utilizes local growers or their own on site gardens for the freshest flavor and unique menu! We had a dozen oysters as an app (along with grilled shrimp). We tried 4 each of the Rappahannock, Sting Ray and Salt (something). Amazing to try the different flavors and they were fantastic!! My husband had the scallops that melted in your mouth without a grain of sand to be found. I had the braised lamb (neck)...yes...neck, and couldn't have been more pleased. I had only had rare lamb chops, never a neck! Because it was braised it fell off the bone and was mixed with pickled green beans and watercress which made it borderline salty...but didn't stop me from eating every spec on my plate! Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious combinationsFoodisfunDined on 8/30/2014Great flavors--deep and rich and nuanced. Oysters fantastic. Paella beautiful. Olive oil poached bluefish--perfection. Be sure to order lots of grilled bread to soak up the sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRvaLocalsDined on 8/30/2014We have never had a bad dinner here. Always great service and incredible food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good 2nd Time AroundavapatDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I ate here for our anniversary last year and decided to make it a repeat because the food was amazing. This time the food was OK. The grilled octopus appetizer was fantastic and the highlight of our meal. The salad greens were tasty (local I think) but the salad itself was not memorable. I got the Bourride (fish stew) which is a beautiful dish but the egg that sits on top was underdone. The soup was tasty but some of the fish was overdone and the oysters were pretty much raw. I know it's a raw bar, but not what I ordered. My husband got the scallops and they were also very underdone. Scallops are tricky and he likes them a little underdone but they were pretty much raw. The dessert, panna cotta, was ok. We didn't finish it.Special Features:
- Good Overall / But OverpricedWahooChipDined on 8/29/2014Raw oysters fine. Civeche very good. Entrees for wife and I very good. Wine options extensive, but all expensive, even by the glass. $6 for can of beer over the top. Noise level pretty high, but expected for an area with a bar eating up a majority of the dining area. Great option for appetizers and a few drinks, but can get expensive. And finally, wait staff very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatBeachinit11Dined on 8/26/2014I went here with my husband and it was ok. Nothing great and we left still hungry. Portions are way too small and I'm glad we didn't bring our teens because there is nothing on their menu kids would eat
- Small portions, high pricesPHCVADined on 8/22/2014Perhaps their oysters are the draw but we aren't huge fans - of oysters or Rappahannock. We were hoping for a nice fish dinner of some sort. We had purposely not checked the menu, just wanted to be surprised. We felt our waiter was rushing us, although our reservation was 7:45 and we were the tail end of their rush that evening. I ordered the scallop entrée and was disappointed there were only 3 scallops (one large and two medium sized) for $26. It's a good thing I wasn't starving. My husband ordered the whole fish (can't remember what type of fish it was) but it arrived overcooked and burned. He was a good sport and ate quite a bit of it. We will not be returning to Rappahannock, as there are so many better places in close proximity.
- So good!PickyFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014Every meal we have here has been AMAZING! The oysters are perfect. Wine and beer list extensive and great pairings with mem hires. Fresh local ingredients that are just delicious. I'm gluten free and can eat here without worry. Love love love the atmosphere. We say this is definitely in our top 3 favorite restaurants in Richmond!! And in top 5 on east coast (including some great places in Charleston SC)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VarietyBethDined on 8/19/2014We went for the oysters and were not disappointed. Ended up liking the more raw oyster selections, but if you don't like raw, then there were plenty of cooked options also. Salmon (perfectly med-rare) and Paella dishes were excellent. Original mixed drink selections. Loved that the restaurant smelled like a campfire! Don't worry, it wasn't smokey. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience All AroundJAK1Dined on 8/16/2014Appetizers, entrees, beer, 'local' cheese plate dessert, and, of course, the oysters were fantastic. Top notch service from multiple staff as well. From approx. 6:45 PM until 9:00 PM the whole room was energetic (a very wide range of age groups), but never distratcting. I can't wait to go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Halibut Ever!VAdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We dined on Saturday August 16. We had two types of oysters, which were both so fresh and delicious. But the highlight othe night was the oil-poached halibut, which was so tender and moist--it was the best we have ever had! The desserts, pannna cotta and crepe cake were also notable. The Panna cotta in particular was light and full of fresh fruit flavor. I'd happily go back anytime!Special Features:
- Special treat!jeanieDined on 8/16/2014Having the opportunity to eat very special oysters was a real treat. We were unfamiliar with some of the dishes, and the waiter was very informative, answered our questions, and made us feel like we weren't dummies. The wood-grilled branzino was outstanding. We are both from out-of-town, and very glad to have stopped by. Will return!Special Features:
- Rappahannock -- cool but pricy!!AARVADined on 8/12/2014the place is nice food is good but kind of too complex definitely pricySpecial Features:
- Excellent ChooceRichmond8Dined on 8/10/2014The food was excellent from the now famous oysters to my olive oil poached halibut to my brother's very tasty paella. Desserts were outstanding and the coffee, from North Carolina was unique and delicious. Great choice for great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmokyLisa0708VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was delicious -- don't miss the baked oysters. . The wood-fired dishes are sublime, but the restaurant is very smoky.Special Features:
- Great service and good Birthday!lovetoeatDined on 8/9/2014We brought my parents there for my Birthday dinner. Really good service - nice and knowledgeable! Mom had scollops - yes there were 3 - but they were huge and cooked perfectly - she was happy! Dad had paella for the first time and loved it! Hubby had the lamb - superb. I had the oil-poached Blue Fish - wonderfully flavorful. We will be back!!! Thanks!Special Features:
- Great for beer and oystersDabooshDined on 8/6/2014Fantastic beer and oyster selections. Best place to be is at the bar. Does not work well for business dinners -- very slow service and noise level too high for discussions. Cool place.Special Features:
- Corner gemRjonVIPDined on 8/1/2014Rappahanock was great Friday night. It was raining all night long but did not keep us away from our first time to the restaurant. We had great meals with very good service. My son had a lamb dish that was to die for. I have to steal some and boy was it out of this world. The local lamb was very tasty and did not have the strong taste of lamb. The drinks were very good. The noise level is quite high even with the high ceilings. Good time. The panacotta desert was one of the best I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and the badBistroVIPDined on 8/1/2014I always like to try, so first I had 4 different types of oysters, which were excellent. I chosen the lamb as main course. Unfortunate my lamb was kind of cold and I told the server. I received a new one, which was very surprising, since last time I had undercooked fish and I was brought the same plate with the same fish last time. Unfortunate this one was very fatty and I was a little disappointed. Since I already had the first one returned I just didn't want to return my dish a second time. The taste of the little meat I gotten was great.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceWilliamsburgDaveDined on 8/1/2014We had a group of 5 on a Friday night. The ambience was ideal, the food was really superb, and our waiter (wish I'd remembered his name) was excellent. We order a lot of different apps. All of the oysters were excellent. And they were the small/mid size oysters like I like. The ceviche was truly awesome. My fiance ordered the scallops entre, and they were absolutely amazing. I lucked out since she filled up on the apps, so I got to enjoy a couple of her scallops. I've eaten as some of the best restuarants around the world, and I've tasted few things better than these scallops. Perfect. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!WineandseafoodDined on 8/1/2014Normally, I don't like oysters but there is something about fresh. Each one if us had to share out food, it was that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLovetoeatDined on 7/31/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. Our services was very knowledgable about the food and was very helpful in helping us make choices.Special Features: