Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - San Carlos
680 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
BurmesePrice: $30 and under
Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - San Carlos
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rangoonruby.com/
- Phone: 6505921852x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: Friday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Lunch/Dinner: Saturday 11:30am-10:00pm
Lunch/Dinner: Sunday 11:30am-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burmese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - San Carlos
Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine-San CarlosContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - San Carlos reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)fit for foodies (68)great for lunch (36)special occasion (31)good for groups (24)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (11)romantic (7)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- Delicious!LocaliteDined on 10/19/2014Rangoon Ruby has one of the most delicious, creative, and flavorful menus around! You can't go wrong with any dish, and you'll discover that you want more and more. I want to keep going back and back to try everything on the menu. Service was very attentive and timely. When the restaurant is full, it can be very noisy and difficult to hear. This place has the most incredible ceiling/lights decoration.Special Features:
- Excellent vegetarian foodVegetarianfoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014We went with our family of 6 adults and 4 children. This is the 2nd time we have gone there and we are so happy that the food and the service is excellent and its only 15 minutes south of our home. We will certainly go again. Their tea leaf salad and the mango salad are to die for.Special Features:
- Tea leaf saladDOJODined on 10/17/2014Overall the food was good. Was disappointed in the tea leaf salad. It has some type of nuts that was so hard one needs to bite it slowly. Otherwise good flavor, presentation and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShirleyDined on 10/11/2014Authentic Burmese food Beautifully prepared is served in a light, airy and inviting setting.Special Features:
- Always a winnerLynnieDined on 10/10/2014Rangoon Ruby is consistently outstanding in every area. It is our "go-to" restaurant, and we love introducing friends to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Terrific burmese food in san carlosrwcdinerDined on 9/26/2014Great food, great ambience, and the staff is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014The Mango salad is fantastic. We also had an excellent tofu dish. The medium spicy chicken with mint dish was good but not spicy at all and could not taste any mint. Both entrees were heavily flavored with soy sauce - similar to P.F. ChangsSpecial Features:
- KarenDined on 9/22/2014garlic was burned in a couple of dishes we ordered.Special Features:
- Tasty but noisyhungrylimeyDined on 9/20/2014Delicious food, but gets very noisy. Tables are close together so your conversation can be heard. Would love to try take-out or lunchtime, for those reasons.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FindMickeyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Yummy food that is prepared freshly. Nice for those of us who like to control the hot spices. Pleasant atmosphere. Friendly staff who want to please. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing change from the usualClimateBestByGvrnmntTestVIPDined on 9/17/2014Been 4 times and eager to go back. Every dish has been excellent, and I've tried a dozen so far (family style). If you like Thai or Indian you'll love the new discoveries found here. A bit noisy, but was still able to enjoy a romantic dinner for two one evening and conduct a business lunch as wellSpecial Features:
- Burmese cuisineluv2travelDined on 9/13/2014I tried entrees I wouldn't ordinarily try and enjoyed them ... such as tofu and the Mango salad. I had the sesame beef and lemongrass chicken along with coconut rice and a noodle dish. All were excellent, portions for 5 were good.Special Features:
- Happy for a first time in Burma!luvvansVIPDined on 9/13/2014Mike was a great waitperson & helpful to recommend menu items for our 1st visit! Loved the Tea salad & lettuce wraps. we will return to try other entrees. Lovely room & decor. Made a reservation on Open Table that noted we were celebrating birthdays, but nothing was offered! Even after we told the hostess that it was our mutual birthdays.Special Features:
- Delicious food, attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/12/2014I'd go back in a heartbeat. Only 3 of us for dinner, but we had everything we wanted and more. The server was even honest and told us we had ordered too much! That never happens. We cut one of the dishes and one of the rices and it was just perfect. Highly recommended are the tea leaf salad, the whitefish noodles (I can't remember what they're called) -- I was so-so on the salt and pepper calamari which were terrific, i just prefer no breading (but it was tasty and also said "tempura," so I knew what we were getting into. All in all, highly recommended. Fun vibe, great staff, terrific food.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureJeffTDined on 9/2/2014Northern fried tofu is just incredible. Of course don't forget the unique tea salad. Never had a even a mediocre meal there. Place to bring someone to impress.Special Features:
- Great food -service- locationdangerdotDined on 8/29/2014Loved Rangoon Ruby. The mint jalapeño pork and the lettuce wraps we're amazing. The food was hot and tasted very fresh. The only complaint it we thought there would be cocktails based on the website but apparently only the Palo Alto location had cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea Leaf Salad a Must!rwcfoodieDined on 8/25/2014They've done a terrific job of remodeling/decorating what was a totally nondescript space into a very attractive/comfortable one... The Tea Leaf Salad was very good, just needed a hit of lemon juice to bring it to life. I could eat that dish once a week easily. The other 2 dishes we tried missed the mark. Overcooked noodles, too-sweet curry sauce, bland flavors... But the service was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavorsBakersdozenDined on 8/24/2014Everything here tastes fresh and intriguing. I could simply eat the tea leaf salad over and over again and always be happy. The location is great and on a summer evening with all the windows open, the ambience has the feel of sidewalk cafe dining with more elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant in San CarlosChuckVIPDined on 8/23/2014Dinner at Rangoon Ruby is always a special treat. We've been here many times and the food and service are consistently excellent. The tea leaf salad is unique and very tasty; a perfect way to begin. We also enjoy the somosas. The main dishes are flavorful, well-spiced and always excellently prepared. We've been down the list on all the lamb and beef dishes and every one is completely satisfying--the country beef and lamb are especially good. The wine list is reasonable and there are always good beers on tap. The service is efficient and not intrusive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missylionDined on 8/20/2014read reviews about the garlic noodles not tasting of garlic, but i still ordered them, but, asked waiter to put alot on. they were superb! of course, the Tea Leaf salad is a must! my friend's coconut rice was bland and her beef dish was too chewy. Pan-fried green beans were crisp and spicy!!Special Features:
- Super Ruby!!TrottterDined on 8/16/2014We had a great table and we brought a new couple to the restaurant. They will be back they were really impressed with food and service. This was my 4th visit to Ruby's and it has always been great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delivers consistent qualityRajMaanDined on 8/14/2014Tea leaf salad terrific as always. Decent wine selection. Exent noodles and the sticky rice is delicious- it is red/black rice, so make sure you are not expecting white rice:-) Service was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014The food here is always delicious and different from all of the other restaurants on Laurel Street - a nice change of pace and the service has been top notch each time we have been there. Only complaint? They do not serve coffee at the end of the meal : (Special Features:
- Bergen116VIPDined on 8/9/2014Have dined at Ragoon Ruby before and have always had a great experience. Food & service is consistently good. I Love the tea leaf salad & lemon grass chicken; my husband like the basil beef. Definitely wilbe back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive!V4c4t10n3r88Dined on 8/9/2014The tea leaf salad was good and so is the soogi but I don't find the pumpkin chicken stew interesting - quite bland! Quantity is quite small like French cuisine and cost quite expensive! Our server is quite good and attentive though but I don't think I will come back. Need to go somewhere else to get full.Special Features:
- What a findBaywandererVIPDined on 8/8/2014Excellent Burmese food in a tasteful environment. We went at lunch when it was less crowded which add to the quality of the expereince.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not have a full barEnjoyzFoodVIPDined on 8/6/2014Something to note is that unlike the Palo Alto location, this location does not have a full bar (only beer/wine). Not a big issue, but weren't expecting that given that we often go to the PA location and this was our first time at this new one.
- Wonderful food:real change of pace!KatAzzDined on 7/25/2014It is so nice to have such tasty and interesting food! A real change of pace from the usual (and abundant) pizza and Italian restaurants. The food @ Rangoon Ruby is clean, fragrant and delicious. I tried okra for the 1st time ever, it was crisp and crunchy in a curry sauce that wasn't too spicy and hot but just right. We had the tea leaf salad that was crunchy and flavorful, the chicken lettuce wraps that were cool and crisp, the eggplant and prawns and the okra and egg curry. All excellent and it went especially well with a cool bottle of Pinot Grigio (sp?).Special Features:
- local jewellunchgirlDined on 7/24/2014Have been here more than five times in the last two months; and I would have no problems returning.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food & Service!GwenVIPDined on 7/23/2014Took a group of folks from around the globe with me to this local neighborhood gem. Everyone loved the food and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Rangoon Ruby is a Real GemDianeinBelmontDined on 7/22/2014My sisters and i had our yearly night out here and were - each of us picky, demanding eaters - thoroughly wowed. The food was awesome, like take me back soon please - awesome. The service was really friendly - which is kind of a rare thing at a hotspot like this. And the atmosphere was arty and sophisticated and surprisingly gorgeous, i think i would even say luxurious. Gaudi-esque architecture? Love it! Hand-blown glass ceiling sculpture that looks like a Chihuly? Am i a the MOMA? Love it! All i ask is that this place sticks around and doesn't change a thing.Special Features:
- Just ok.....browniegirlDined on 7/17/2014I was so excited to try Rangoon Ruby after checking out the menu on-line. Unfortunately the food was very mediocre. I went with a group of people so we ordered 5 different dishes. The best by far was the shrimp curry. It had the most flavor and the shrimp was not battered or deep fried. The sesame chicken was battered and so overcooked that it was chewy. The beef curry had no flavor and the chunks of meat where tough. The noodle dish looked so appetizing when they brought it to the table, but we were all so disappointed when we tried it. The noodles were mushy and the dish lacked focus and flavor. Finally, the pork was chopped in small pieces and again, had no distinct flavor.Special Features:
- Burmese foodmaybeDined on 7/16/2014We went for lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. We all had great food; the mango salads were wonderful and the hot entrees with rice also were good. the waiter we had could not have been more helpful; he was attentive but not intrusive. They brought the guest of honor strawberry ice cream with a sparkler in it for dessert. The restaurant is very pretty and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Unusual FoodRuthDined on 7/14/2014This is my new "favorite" restaurant. The food is tasty and each dish has a different flavor. The service is good and unhurried. You do not get the feeling that they want to turn your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 4th visitDbirdDined on 7/12/2014Great food and good service My major complaint is that you really can't have a conversation in this restaurant The noise level is deafening unless there are only a few customers which is hardly neverSpecial Features:
- Better than BurmaeyeseatfirstDined on 7/11/2014Fresh,tasty, hot, distinctive flavors from that part of the world served in a very attractive but noisy setting. It only takes one noisy table of revelers to set your teeth on edge but the food is sooooo good. But watch out for the noodles. They are overcooked especially the rice noodles. There are so many good dishes to choose from. I always start with Smoked Tea Leaf Salad which is best in Bay Area. Just forget the noodles. I like the Burmese rice and all the hot dishes. Yes, I have traveled in BurmaSpecial Features:
- Not Our Cup of TeaTherineDined on 7/6/2014We found Burmese Cuisine not to our taste. We had a lovely waitress, Kim, who made suggestions to us since we were unfamiliar with most of the food. Unfortunately, we found the entrees quite foreign to our taste buds and therefore did not enjoy our meal. Many people have recommended Rangoon Ruby(and many of the diners present seemed to relish their meals) and we think those who wish to experience different fares, may really enjoy the restaurant.Special Features:
- foodiegirl123Dined on 7/1/2014Food very good, loved the tea leaf salad. Prices are high for this type of restaurant but okay for special occasion just not regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - San Carlos reviews archive.
- Carlos makes the place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/25/2014Carlos is the best waiter! His fun personality makes the restaurant that much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, service is slowJoyFDined on 6/18/2014Sitting at an outdoor table in front of the restaurant for lunch was enjoyable. Great people watching! A nice menu selection of both salads and entrees. Prices are high given the slow service and lack of attention to detail. I had to get up twice to ask for my waiter. Took more than ten minutes for my credit card to be returned. Need more staff to handle luncheon guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.