Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto
445 Emerson Street
Palo Alto, CA 94031Neighborhood:
BurmesePrice: $30 and under
Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rangoonruby.com/
- Phone: 6503236543
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days per week
Lunch daily from 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner Sunday - Thursday 5pm - 10pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm
Happy Hour Specials from 5-6pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays), at the bar only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burmese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chefs Win Aye and Win Tin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Darryl Wong for catering details.
- Entertainment: Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine's bar features iPads, so bar customers may enjoy watching their favorite television shows or to watch a game of your favorite sport. With no television in the restaurant and the technology of the iPads at the bar, this gives our guests the ultimate dining experience.
A word from Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto
Now open in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine will have two Wins insuring authentic, Burmese cuisine. Chefs Win Aye and Win Tin formerly of Burma Superstars locations in Oakland and Alameda respectively, will jointly be heading up the kitchen at the new Rangoon Ruby venue. With proven chefs proficient in all of the specialties that make Burmese cuisine sought after by Asian food aficionados, plus a modern, upscale ambiance located in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine expects to strike a chord with Silicon Valley diners looking for a fresh, clean approach to one of the worlds great cuisines. Influenced by Indian, Thai and Chinese cooking, the traditional Burmese menu will be complemented by a full bar with signature tropical cocktails including the eponymous Rangoon Ruby, a mid-century libation thought to be the forerunner of todays Cosmopolitan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (74)neighborhood gem (34)great for lunch (32)hot spot (30)special occasion (30)good for groups (28)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- StapleChangedDined on 10/16/2014It's a go-to place when in Palo Alto. Can get busy so reservations are recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceGattmanEOCDined on 10/3/2014Food was solid and was very good. Good amount of food and is very reasonable in general and for area. Nicely done tables and décor. Dishes were very tasty, fresh and good quality. We were late for our reservation and they really did a good job of getting us in. Good people working there, both at hosting desk and servers, etc.Special Features:
- Great find!KenLDined on 10/3/2014It was very busy on Friday night but the service was still excellent! We had ordered appetizers and salads and was still deciding on entrees while the server was waiting on us, the appetizers and salad was already delivered to our table. Food was good. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great food!!!kg6dplDined on 10/3/2014"Unusual menu. Lots of different pumpkin based soups. Great catfish! Havn't found another place like it.Special Features:
- Tea leaf heavenWorththemoneyandtimeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Delicious and unique flavors make this place a must try, especially the knock your socks off yummy tea leaf salad. Service and ambiance add a casually elegant feel. Perfect for double dates or a meal with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get Food SuggestionswalkaboutVIPDined on 9/25/2014I've been to Rangoon Ruby 3 times and each time get the Tea Leaf Salad and then asked for suggestions. I would not have picked the suggestions myself (eg., Pumpkin Chicken Stew), but each time have tried a new dish and all these have been winners. The tables are a little close and the restaurant is usually full. The service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMrosso3Dined on 9/13/2014I've been to Burma Superstar, the sister chain of this restaurant, and was disappointed in my service at the Palo Alto location of Rangoon Ruby. Although our server was great, the general attitude of the owners, hosts, and staff was rude. Rarely a smile, courteous language or friendly tone in any interaction we had with them throughout the night. The very strong impression is given that you are a burden, not a welcomed patron, when checking in for your reservation. The food was overpriced but tasted fine. The noise level was disruptive and annoying, and I say this as a 25 year-old restaurant go-er. I'd go back to Burma Superstar before I'd eat here again.Special Features:
- great food pushy waitermagsDined on 9/11/2014very pushy waiter was physically turning pages of my menu while I was holding it. waiter never checked table once food was dropped. waiter dropped check without asking if we wanted more cocktails, coffee or desert. Noise level is beyond 'energetic.' It is closer to deafening. Tables are so close that I was bumping elbows with the person at the next table. great food but never again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014not authentic Burmese, lacking in garlic, onions and spiciness.Special Features:
- This place is always goodWontBeBackVIPDined on 9/1/2014Have eaten here twice; both times thought it was very good. Food is very tasty Burmese cooking; ambiance is busy & upscale feeling without being irritating. Good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a find!egthefoodieDined on 8/31/2014New flavors and amazing dishes, beautiful interior and reasonable prices, this place is date night gold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafoodloverVIPDined on 8/30/2014My only complaint at ruby's is the seating, with tables so close together that having a conversation about anything private or even slightly personal is uncomfortable. For someone who is slightly hearing impaired, and needs to listen closely to my dinng companions, that means other conversations overlap, and we must speak even louder to be heard. But, having said that, the food is outstanding, good sized portions on everything, and service people are quite attentive. Salads are marvelous, especially dooms a salad. Fried rice was good, and main dishes excellent. I've been three times and will undoubtedly return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service-good food-toomanytablesLaulauDined on 8/29/2014I like the food, it is quite good. But the service is pretty rude. The first words the hostess said were: "can you eat in this amount of time? Because we have other reservations later. Otherwise we can accomodate you at the bar where there is no time limit". Plus the place os pack with tables that are too close to each other.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply greatChangedDined on 8/22/2014Rangoon Ruby never lets us down. It's great place to eat for any occasion and the servers will assist you in finding something delicious to eat. I would recommend the northern friend tofu, tea leaf salad, and the pea leaves (if in season).Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Rangoon Ruby is a great restaurant, Food was delicious, unique and service was quick. I would definitely go there again. The only thing is that I found the seating space was a bit cramped...Slightly more space would be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKapuDined on 8/19/2014It was my first visit, will come back. The place was packed, and the noise level pretty high.Special Features:
- Great Dining PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014This was my first time trying Burmese food. Went to this restaurant on a whim and was very surprised as to how amazing the dishes were. The restaurant is on the smaller side, but other than that I love the atmosphere and vibe of the place. I ordered the tea leaf salad, salt and pepper calamari, basil chili beef, and coconut rice. Everything was delicious and the flavors were very unique! Our waitress was incredibly nice. Good experience. If you're up for trying a new cuisine, I highly recommend this spot.Special Features:
- Hit or missOutdoorLuncherDined on 8/12/2014Some things on the menu are amazing (such as the mango salad) but others are a real let down (crispy salmon, for example). We have been back 3 or 4 times and each time have had about 2/3 great items and 1/3 really unimpressive items. If you are willing to experiment to find the good stuff it is amazing. It seems like a place with these prices would raise the bar on all items though.Special Features:
- Cannot Keep Up With DemandOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014Our first few visits to RR were excellent. Great food, service and atmosphere. This week I took a visitor there for lunch and everything except the cucumber water and Burma Rice was off. We ordered the Tea Leaf Salad staple which came out over salted and a bit mushy. Our Chicken Burmese Curry was watery and bland with dry white meat chicken pieces which clearly were added to the sauce late rather than having been marinated. Only the Burmese Rice side dish was acceptable. RR is opening a second location in downtown Palo Alto. The kichen seems stretched right now with only one venue.
- great food; very rushed serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014the food is excellent . however , they serve every dish in very rapid succession. they served us our appetizers. within a minute came the salad and 30 seconds letter our main course. they clearly are trying to get everyone in and out really fast. (coupe next to us was in and out in 30 minutes for several courses.) this is fine for a business lunch but not for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing food, but super crampedaRandomReviewDined on 8/1/2014The food here was incredible! I made a reservation for 8:30 PM for 3, and sure enough we showed up at 8:30 on the dot and our table was ready. All of us in the party thoroughly enjoyed every bite. On top of this, the portion sizes were perfect. It was more than enough food to fill you up, but not over the top gigantic like so many restaurants in America. The thing I disliked about this place was just how packed it was. The tables were so close together and the restaurant at capacity, I was bumped in to by servers and customers every time I turned around. If you're claustrophobic or want to be able to move around, this is NOT the place for you. I could barely get up to go to the restroom.Special Features:
- A little too loud for date nightdinerinPAVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was pretty good, although I felt like there was too much garlic in every dish. It would have been nice if other seasoning was used to pump up the flavors. The tables are a bit close together and the restaurant got very loud which made it hard to talk.
- Yumm!legalmgmDined on 7/31/2014First time at this restaurant and it is good to go early, with a reservation, as it fills up quickly. A friend and I shared the Palata - was not expecting whole pieces of chicken to be eaten with the bread - it was quite delicious. We asked for medium "heat" - it was extremely mild (but flavorful). Next time - hot please!. We also had the tea leaf salad - what a fabulous experience of texture and flavor. Then burmese rice and Kebat chicken - also very flavorful. We both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner along with a nice bottle of wine. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible service and foodHappinessDined on 7/29/2014Mouth watering dishes and abundant choices. I love this restaurant. The service was esquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a delightfoodismylifeDined on 7/29/2014I loved this first visit. The waitstaff were helpful and the food was delish. Will come back again definitely/Special Features:
- Too much hypegmehtasterDined on 7/26/2014For all the hype, the food is average. The service was great. Food was average, and price was too high. Overall I wont go again. Won't recommend to anyone.
- Always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I have visited several times and often take our out of town guests there. It is consistently good food and service.Special Features:
- Great and unique foodGiriDined on 7/25/2014Food was very good. Also unique because there are not too many Burmese restaurants around. Service was excellent too. The only downside at this place is its too crowded - meaning the tables are set too close and so feels a little claustrophobic and crowded.Special Features:
- Unusual and deliciousSteveBVIPDined on 7/25/2014Packed. Delicious. Spicy or not. Fermented tea leaf salad is a must. Just go. Reserve ahead.Special Features:
- burmese food starjohnbizprofVIPDined on 7/25/2014If you like burmese food, you will love this restaurant. He is opening another location around the corner which will initially have the same menu as rangoon ruby, but will slowly evolve into a slightly different level of burmese cuisine. We love the tea leaf salad...Special Features:
- Great lunchQfoodDined on 7/23/2014Had a wonderful Burmese salad (mango) and got a sparkler for my birthday. Delish food and quick service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMav0016Dined on 7/22/2014Though they didn't seat us for a half hour after our reservation time, they sent out a complimentary tea leaf salad and hustled our food through the kitchen. It's certainly loud in there, though, even on a Tuesday night! Incredible food. Must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jimmyDined on 7/22/2014The Burmese tea salad lived up to expectation and the roti palatta was very good. Entrees were a bit disappointing. Service was good but slow as it was very, very busy. This was at 7:00 pm. Next time I would try to go for an earlier dinner.Special Features:
- Hit the spot.JenniacDined on 7/22/2014This was recommended by a local who said that while we were visiting, we had to check it out. We weren't disappointed. Food was fast and yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too quick?cubsfanDined on 7/19/2014This was the best of the four or five times we have eaten here, but one element was a bit annoying. We were still working on the appetizer (the ever popular tea-leaf salad) when the main dishes started arriving. In fact the appetizer came before the wine. Perhaps in a Burmese restaurant that's not a problem, except that we didn't have enough room on the table to put everything without shuffling dishes around. Service seemed super-efficient by a degree or two more than necessary.Special Features:
- Brilliant food!prafulakellaDined on 7/10/2014Must try the tea leaf salad! The Yellow Tofu Red currybis to die for.. all these to be eaten with burmese rice as originally expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014The food was delicious, especially the garlic noodles with braised duck! The fish (I believe it was called mango asai) was succulent, the light sour flavor of mango perfectly cutting the fish. The service was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rangoon Ruby ReviewfoodieviDined on 7/9/2014I've been here on a first date, on a girls' night, and a work-team outing :) It's been great for all three! Make reservations in advance because tables get taken up real quick. Love the mango chicken, tea leaf salad, and palata! They had fresh coconut water (in the coconut!), which is quite awesome :) They are nice enough to give it with the spoon so you can get the flesh too :D Did not like the fried coconut pudding dessert so much.Special Features:
- Excellent for vegetarians!fieryblueDined on 7/9/2014I love the green tea leaf salad and the Samusa soup. So many healthy things for vegetarians here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missSophieBDined on 7/9/2014Tea leaf salad and garlic noodles were both very good- best I've ever had. Eggplant curry and veggie curry both very bland. Sweet coconut rice dessert...great everywhere, isn't it?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.