5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: (202) 803-8020
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (213)special occasion (125)good for groups (85)notable wine list (84)hot spot (80)neighborhood gem (67)romantic (49)vibrant bar scene (44)great for lunch (43)great for brunch (22)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Will happily go back!DinerxDined on 11/19/2014Great dinner! We enjoyed the food, the atmosphere -- the staff were super helpful and friendly. Lovely evening. The salmon tartare was killer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NightFLBillyVIPDined on 11/17/2014The food was great and it is a fun place to go and order dishes to share or just for your self.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and flavorsbearloyerDined on 11/14/2014We found this place quite by accident. But we knew about this chef from Food Network shows and have always been interested in trying his food. The selection was great and offered some interesting meat and fish options. My flounder dish was delicious and my partner's skirt steak was done perfectly. Would definitely come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not return soonxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDined on 11/14/2014I would not choose to go here soon as there are many other restraunts avialable that would be betterSpecial Features:
- clattery-loud, excellent (innovative) food,DrMacDined on 11/11/2014You can tell that the chef likes doing new things with perfect specimens of otherwise "regular food". The golden and red beets "salad" were in a vinaigrette that let them shine through, and we fought over the charred brussels sprouts that were crispy w' great seasoning - a great twist on a popular side. Cauliflower also cooked and roasted to perfection. The bacon pickle (sort of a chutney) was eaten straight from the little pot-- no need to bother putting it on the (otherwise excellent) breads. Scallops were JUST right... sigh... we'll be back - but perhaps there's a less clattery-loud area?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good dinner and serviseLEXTerDined on 11/11/2014Brought a Client, were promptly seated, enjoyed the food and service. Matthew, who assisted us, was very attentive No complaintsSpecial Features:
- Fantastic food and service!CandiDined on 11/11/2014We had a fabulous dinner with excellent service. The only issue was that the server recommended the lemon cookie with my after dinner espresso; I declined. He brought it to me anyway with my espresso indicating that it would be a great after dinner treat. I assumed this was complimentary since I'd originally declined the dessert. So I was a bit surprised to see that it was included in my final bill. It was only $2 so I paid it, but the server's tip was reduced. Despite that, I would recommend this restaurant and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho humRKHKDined on 11/10/2014I've had dinner at Range and thought it very good. My lunch was not so exciting. My guest ordered a margherita pizza; dough was good; sauce, I found, was bland. I had the halibut. It wasn't supper fresh, but was nicely prepared.Special Features:
- Great foodBobmonDined on 11/9/2014We loved every part of our food from a unique salad option through some interesting and tasty spreads, delicious main courses, and great dessert choices. A definate stop if you are in DCSpecial Features:
- Carnivore's HeavenNeighborDined on 11/8/2014If you love roasted meats (and the like), this is your place. Impressive wine list and very good service, but plan on a slow dinner. Not crazy about the mall location, but it is still elegant.Special Features:
- Great FoodevilmisspoliteDined on 11/8/2014Stumbled upon this place through TripAdvisor and thought about trying it out. The staff are all nice and knowledgeable about the dishes. Our waiter was good at recommending food and explaining ingredients efficiently. The food was all great. We ordered: -Cheddar Chive Biscuits with Pepper Jelly and Tomato Jam: flaky, buttery and hit the spot 10/10 -Kale Caesar Salad: really tasty but could use a little more of those tiny delicious croutons 9/10 -Butcher cut filet of black Angus beef: cooked to perfection 10/10 -Trio of Ice Creams: (Salted Caramel 10/10, Almond Biscotti 10/10, Rocky Road 9/10 just because I didn't like the chocolate chips in it) Would I go again? Definitely yes. Lovely Service and so many other things I want to try.Special Features:
- Great experiencemdfoodieDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our visit to Range. The food was great! The menu had very interesting options and the cocktails were fabulous! Must try the cheddar biscuits with pepper jelly! Delish!Special Features:
- Disappointing Lunch Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/7/2014I've been here for dinner several times and have loved it, my (older) parents were in town visiting and we were in the area so I decided to make a lunch reservation. The service and ambiance as always is 5 stars but the lunch menu leaves you wanting more....much more. The salads are fantastic and ordered one to start, my parents loved it. I understand it's a lunch menu and that it is limited but a tab of $85 plus for three people that got sandwiches left my wallet sad and my stomach even more disappointed. Reflecting back at all the great meals my parents and I enjoyed during their week long visit we all agreed that this was by far the worst for the price. I would recommend this place for dinner but would opt out for lunch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/6/2014Food was not remarkable. Range a distant second to Volt.
- adamwabadamVIPDined on 11/5/2014always great. we did notice the prices on food have risen significantly. but we also noticed the excellent wine pricing remains! so its hard to complain and the service is always amazing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/4/2014Thought the bar area was great and service at the bar and cocktails were wonderful. However, once we sat down at our table the service was awful and it was difficult to find our waiter to order food and drinks. The beer list is great and the food is good but nothing extraordinary.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerCarlosDined on 11/2/2014great service, good wine list, delicious food We were celebrating our anniversary. Staff was attentive, without smothering. The sommelier was very helpful since we know way too little about good wine. Had the hanger steak (actually chef substituted filet, because the last hanger was already gone - it was delicious), and the pork belly. Brussels sprouts for a side dish were a nice accompaniment. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but shaky serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2014We came in and were seated, then ignored. I finally got up and asked for some water, which was brought over. Waiter soon appeared & apologized for the delay and things were smooth then until the food came. Our pizza order was messed up, so our dining companions ate theirs while we watched. Our new pizza showed up about 10 minutes later and had clearly been thrown together quickly--scanty ingredients, not at all as nice as our companions' order! We asked for extra cheese (since we were brought a slab of crust with a dollop of cheese in the center) and the waiter kindly brought it. He also took an appetizer off the bill, which was nice. The rest of the food was great, but overall disappointing experience. Also quite pricy for what you get.Special Features:
- Range disappointsdirectorDined on 11/1/2014It was difficult to overcome a dreadful beginning. Even with an Open Table reservation for 7:30, we were kept waiting for 45 minutes. Excuse: they are just paying their bill & will be leaving any minute. (Is there only 1 table for four in the entire restaurant?) Not until we strongly suggested that this was unacceptable did they send over the manager. To his credit he brought 4 glasses of champagne and comped us a cheese tray. Our server was one of those overly friendly types (I'm going to make this a HAPPY experience for you!!) The food was fine, not fabulous, and the atmosphere fairly nonexistent. Where have you gone, Voltaggio???Special Features:
- No valueJustaguyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Small portions very expensive. Brussels sprouts were almost salty. Scallops decent but 2 scallops for $20? Carbonara had no flavor- not egg not pancetta no pepper zero salt. Major disappointmentSpecial Features:
- The best meal I've had in a while!amateurfoodieDined on 11/1/2014The pork belly is a smallish portion, but very filling and delicious. My table mates had great thing to say about their meals (pizza, oysters & Brussels sprouts, and cod & sweet potatoes). The cornbread and bacon is a great option for the table. The candy selection is very good and different, a bit on the pricey side, but good if you don't want a big dessert. The service was wonderful, and the atmosphere is great (not so loud you can't have a good conversation). Overall, a great place for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GSCMJOEDined on 10/26/2014Range was great! Early Sunday dinner. Excellent food and service. Making brussel sprouts taste amazing is the mark of true kitchen greatness. Excellent choice of wines. Portions sizes are great for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timethehammerDined on 10/26/2014WE enjoyed our long awaited visit there to Range. Parking for our vehicle was a challenge as it does not fit into the near by garages. Reservations were honored without an issue. We were swept to our seats and promptly served, attended to with due regard to our likes and dislikes. Menu items were expertly explained. This was a great time for my wife's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StarnoodleVIPDined on 10/26/2014Overall, it shows a bad management. Waiters are not trained and not attentive to customer's needs. Most disappointing thing was the food. I had lunch three times there. The last one for Sunday Brunch was a disaster. I don't think we will go back there again.
- DianaDined on 10/19/2014We had diner here on Sunday night. The food was very good. The bartender was taking care of our table, he recommended some great appetizers and main courses, as well as dessert. Roasted bone marrow was excellent. We would definitely come back to try other things on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CELEB SIGHTING ON A SATURDAY NIGHTStephCKDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I come here often and love Range -- and this weekend we got a special treat: a celebrity sighting at the restaurant! Neil Patrick Harris very nonchalantly dined with a female companion amid measured twittering by diners and staff. Very fun! The surprises extended to the menu as well. Definitely try the BBQ oysters -- I'm a fan of raw oysters and my husband likes all things BBQ, so the appetizer was a perfect marriage -- just like ours! (Ewww!) The hangar steak was fantastic, though I made the mistake of ordering it a little too red. It was perfectly prepared and beautifully executed with accompaniments suited to autumn: smoked tomato grits, young chard, bacon and an almost foamy "beernaise". Lovely.Special Features:
- Get your act together!XXXXDined on 10/18/2014What a disaster. The food was pretty good but weird (pig face?). The service was very slow. They mishandled our reservation. We had to wait half an hour to get a table! It took forever for us to put in our order. And then the food came out chaotically -- entrees before appetizers, some hot food cold. Even the salt and pepper shakers (which we had to beg for) did not work. Oh, and the women's rest room was shut down. The place was clearly overwhelmed. Our waiter kept apologizing. He eventually brought us some chocolates to make us feel better. We spent three hours at the table and couldn't wait to get out. Then it took the valet service half an hour to get our car -- and we were the only people waiting! This place is a mess.Special Features:
- Great but a waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I called a week ahead for a 7:15 reservation for my girlfriend's birthday. We arrived at 7:10 and told it would be a few minutes. A few minutes turned into 10 mins when I finally had to address the host, she told me that the people at our table were still there drinking coffee and we had to wait till they left. 10 mins turned into 20 mins and they finally brought us champagne to try to apologize for the wait. 20 mins turned into 45mins as we were not seated till 8pm. They brought us some cheese and bread to try to apologize. I had to ask for the wine list as they did not provide one right away. We finally ordered our food around 8:30. We didn't start eating till 9pm. The food was great but the service was poor.Special Features:
- Well...janieyoVIPDined on 10/18/2014Made a reservation for 4 several weeks in advance, and was disappointed to find we were being seated at the bar. This is not conducive to talking and socializing with my group. The host seemed to be surprised as to why this was not good. We opted to wait for a table, but told the hostess that it should be stated that the seating is at the bar. It worked out, after waiting for some time (host had no idea how long it would be), but feel that it should be clear where the seating will be, or options should be given.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a reasonable dining experiencepoaclaDined on 10/15/2014On the second floor of an unpersonable shopping mall in a posh DC/Maryland district. Food was good overall. Warm oysters with BBQ sauce for starters, nice and spicy but the taste of the oysters was gone. Very good main course : seared scallops with pork cheeks, an interesting match. No need for that foamy (no longer trendy) sauce though. Good wine list. A rich fruity californian pinot noir from Russian River, with long, pleasurable spicy notes but a marked acetic (certainly not ascetic) aroma. What you get when you want to concentrate pinot, but a good wine overall. Service was average : asking for bread did not seem to stir much attention. The sommelier was very attentive. Ambiance could have been icy, but ended up fairly noisy.Special Features:
- Mixed bagAnonymousDined on 10/14/2014Two dishes: outstanding. Two others: nothing special. Service: Enthusiastic but inattentive, with food/drink arriving out-of-order. Irritating: very few wines poured by the glass, not everything on the list was even available, and no substitution was offered for those unavailable.
- good intersting foodgwenDined on 10/14/2014Loves the unique combinations within each plate and the presentations. I am honored to eat a wonderful dinner at a high end restaurant for a reasonable price especailly since my boyfriend is a chef there and we got a discount so i was happy. It was kinda empty when we went so it was knda awk but at the same time nice.Special Features:
- Menu change not idealOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/12/2014This trip to range was our first since the menu change and maybe wince change of chef de cuisine and we could tell difference. The kale Cesear salad was not as good-overall very bitter. I missed the crab meat appetizer and I always have thought the desserts were over done-the apple crisp was not good at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014Uncrowded @ 11:30. But service was slow, food lukewarm. If you seve hash in a skillet, and the skillet is not hot to touch, how long did it sit in kitchen. Off my brunch list, for sure.
- supurbRyanSchwamDined on 10/11/2014Had an amazing dinner at Range on 10/10. From the charcuterie to the bone marrow, the apps were all plentiful and prepared perfectly. Had the barrel steak for my entree and was not disappointed to say the least. The ice cream sanwhiches for dessert were amazing as well. Home made mint ice cream to die for. The service was incredible as well. Very knowledgeable staff that made excellent recommendations for pairings. We were all blown away and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousColVillageDinerDined on 10/11/2014The menu at Range continues to surprise and delight me. On this visit, I found a number of truly unusual menu items and/or creative flavor combinations that were absolutely delicious. I was disappointed to find that the fried Brussels sprouts with bacon were not on the menu (the first Brussels sprouts that I ever liked), but found that I liked the sprouts flavored with fish sauce even more! My table-mates and I also enjoyed some great cocktails, pasta carbonara, pork bellies that were as tasty as candy, and a hangar steak that could not have been more flavorful. And don't skip dessert - $3 for just the right amount of salted caramel ice cream was a great way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for ImprovementPhilDined on 10/9/2014The food was very good (and reasonably priced), though my appetizer (ample and quite tasty) was better than my main course. The portions of "sides" that accompany the main course were very small, and seemed to appear on my plate as an afterthought. The food (both the appetizer but especially the main course) took an unusually long time to appear. The waitress was very informative and had a terrific personality, and the wine steward was extremely knowledgeable about the numerous selections (too many of which were extremely high priced, given the food selection) offered on the wine menu. Seating is cramped and the close proximity of other patrons makes it difficult to converse in a confidential manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible food; even worse serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/5/2014We had been at Range once before for pizza and loved it. We went back for brunch and will never return. The worst was the service. 4 people got 2 coffees. 5 minutes later another coffee and a tea arrived. The wrong tea without the honey and lemon ordered. No effort to refill the coffee. Increidbly slow food delivery. Three omelets which were close to inedible. Brussels sprouts that were made the way my granddaughter would probably make them with no effort at quality. Loud music so you could not talk although it was Sunday brunch. All in all, a ZERO star experience.
- An excellent experience overallMarina17Dined on 10/4/2014Perfect for our group if 6! Food, service and atmosphere were top notch! They honored our request for a table in which we could hear each other, and we were seated in the wine room. We felt like VIPs! Well done and thank you Range!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RANGE has slippedNabeDiner2014Dined on 10/4/2014The original small plate menu was innovative and tasty; the new menu overreaches -- it's trendy and limited -- and overpriced given the options and ambiance. The wine list is very long and pretentious for the very casual atmosphere. The front desk was chaotic and they were confused, even though we had a reservation. On a positive note, our server was attentive. The restaurant seems mostly to be catering to the transient hotel clientele from next door these days; guess that works to keep it busy. All things considered, no need to knock yourself out to put Range on your bucket list.