5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: 2028038020x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
364 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (220)special occasion (147)notable wine list (91)neighborhood gem (85)good for groups (75)hot spot (75)great for lunch (46)romantic (42)vibrant bar scene (40)great for brunch (30)late-night find (11)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Late night at rangemdfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is my second visit to Range. The food does not disappoint -- all quite delicious and interesting, thought some more that others. BBQ oysters were very tasty, as was the heirloom tomato, watermelon and foam salad. The pizza was good, not phenomenal and I would say the same for the roasted peppers. Both could benefit from more cheese and some cheese respectively. Our drinks and wine were very good. As with my first visit, I was impressed with the quality of the food and the attention to detail. At the end, again I was surprised by how much some late night snacks ended up costing.Special Features:
- Great Night with the WifeWashClarksVIPDined on 9/20/2014All too often we get caught up in all the demands of life. Tonight, I made the effort to reconnect with my beautiful wife and thank her for all her support and thoughtful effort make to ensure that our hectic households run well. Range was a perfect place to do this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Anniversary DinnerMonikaDined on 9/17/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at Range the other night, and we were really blown away by the level of service. Our server Nick, was fantastic - personable, attentive, helpful, funny. The food was just as outstanding - order the scallops! Wow! From our cocktails to the snippet of a Shakespeare sonnet written in chocolate on our gratis plate of dessert, our expectations were exceeded. Bravo!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014great food and fast service. love this place. it has a lot of variety from appetizer to entree to dessert. Also has a long list of drinks as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 9/14/2014Range has matured over these past 18 months. Bryan Voltaggio's approach has evolved, resulting in a more sophisticated, smoother dining experience than when the restaurant first opened. The food is excellent...inventive, well prepared, with great flavor, texture and composition. The service is first rate. The addition of the separate Italian-inspired fine dining Aggio inside Range's space could easily have been a distraction, but it's actually improved the ambiance and added to the look, feel and environment of the restaurant. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The very best of Bethesda-Chevy Chase! A totally unexpected surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to like it more...MelinnycDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Range twice, and each time I've left unimpressed. It has such potential, but the food is just not as good as it should be for the prices and the chef. (In fact, I've left both times with a bit of a stomach ache.) The cocktails were fantastic though!
- ellencVIPDined on 9/12/2014I was looking forward to going to Range, we hadn't been there in a while. I was definitely disappointed. It was very cold inside the restaurant, uncomfortably so. It was very loud-hard to talk to the friends who we were meeting. We had to keep leaning across the table to hear each other. The food was mediocre. I ordered a main course and I did not care for the vegetable that was listed as the included side dish-I asked if I could just have some greens with my fish, the plate came with just the fish. I guess the chef was unwilling to make any kind of a substitute. The service was also way too fast! As they were removing our appetizer plates, they were putting down our main courses-no time in between. We may not try again~Special Features:
- Jumped the SharkLouLou50VIPDined on 9/12/2014I came here for my birthday with my family and having been two years ago was expecting the same. Boy was I wrong, the service was terrible, it took 25 minutes to get a drink. The menu has not changed much since they opened and the food was mediocre. With so many good places to go in DC, this one is now off my list. I think Bryan V needs to pay some attention, it is turning into a basic mall restaurant.
- Great EverytimeStElmosINSCVIPDined on 9/10/2014We went all out on this visit trying almost everything on the menu. The lam neck was a surprise- juicy and big portion. Went we'll with the wine the sommelier suggested. Wow! Start at the bar for some creative drinks! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bar, Great FoodBobLDined on 9/6/2014The bar itself is worth attending with the special cocktails and full menu. Small portions, easily shared, but an entree, appetizer, and desert was enough for all. Not an inexpensive place but well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynneDined on 9/5/2014Wanted to try this Voltaggio hot spot; seating makes it a challenge to hear your dining companions--the tables are pretty wide with double seat banquettes instead of chairs. The place when full is very noisy. The food is very good when you get it.... The service from the kitchen the evening we were there was very slow incluiding the tables around us, but the staff/mgr were very responsive to addressing the delay with extra drinks and dessert at no charge for our table of 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be so much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014I should say that I do like Range and frequent it with some regularity. The reason for my lackluster review is that it could be SO much better. The food is interesting and quite good, but dinner at Range feels rather like a production line - they want you in and out, everything is rushed - from the number of times and how quickly you are asked if you are ready to order to the fact they clear plates while you are still eating. Range - you should know better. Really. Slow the process down - not too slow, but at least make diners feel as though it's okay to take a breath every now and then.
- Too loudShroomGuyDined on 9/5/2014The tables in the bar area, which are part of the reguilar seating, suffer from too much background noise from the bar crowd. Neverhteless, the scallop entree is unique and awesome!Special Features:
- great food and unique cocktails!sap215Dined on 8/31/2014I went to Range as a treat to a friend for his birthday. The location is interesting as it's in a mall, but otherwise it was a great experience! We started off with a few cocktails at the bar; the bartenders were knowledgable and helpful and assisted in picking unique cocktails we both enjoyed! (I had the urban conformist #2 and lot of lizards and both were tasty and refreshing for summer!). We then went to our table and the sommelier helped in picking out a great bottle. We started with the cheddar jalapeno biscuits (melted in your mouth they were so good!) and the cheese plate. Both were excellent choices. For entrees, i tried a sausage dish and my friend had the pork dish...again, great flavor and exceptional taste!Special Features:
- Special nightFairfax4Dined on 8/31/2014Two couples celebrating their 25yr and 23yr wedding anniversaries. Staff went out of their way to make it feel special. Hostess sat us the "private dining" area, that wasn't too private. The design and layout of the restaurant is very unique, music playing is upbeat (Wheezer, Foo Fighters, etc.). Very good drink selection and the waiter was knowledgable and offered recommendations. Appetizers superb (shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, gazpacho) and portions were large. Main course depended on what you ordered (salmon good but very small portion, hanger steak very good, pork duo very good, bucatini carbonara very good but small portion). Deserts all very good. Service a little slow. Coordinated for flowers thru Flowerpetal...outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Loud, Overpriced, SillinessBusyMomAndDadVIPDined on 8/30/2014Too much stone and too much glass = too loud restaurant. Why can't new places get this simple concept? Menu is exceptionally unique, but when the food comes, descriptions are better than the taste combos.The salmon tartar -- typical.The pizza mediocre.The bone marrow interesting, but I'd never order it again. Pork rinds good--the sauce truly complimented their crunchiness. The white whole fish with citrus taste was incredible, but again, a hefty $37. Also, a clear glass sliding door into a women's bathroom isn't a good idea. Plus, I really like to have enough light to see into the mirrors to reapply make up--impossible in the bathroom darkness. Lastly,if you don't offer a parking lot, at least validate the parking deck!
- AnniversaryDinnerDined on 8/30/2014The service was phenomenal and the food almost as good! The new service provided by open table allowed me to pay my bill from my reservation. I would return in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but expensive ...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for lunch on Saturday, lunch and brunch type entrees. Lots of nice "touches" such as the square ice cubes, iced tea brought to the table in individual bottles. The cocktails looked interesting but we didn't have one. I had the lobster roll which was in spicy remoulade which was vert good but there was way too much of it -the lobster should have been the main ingredient not the sauce. Friend had pulled pork - very tasty and a bit on the sweet side. Portions were not huge but had a generous portion of fries. Love the sofa seating, very comfortable. Service started out good but slowed down as other diners arrived although the restaurant was far from crowded. Downside - expensive $75 for two w/out alcohol or dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Whilel the food was good, it was not great, as expected. I would go back land give it another shot. The service was excellent. The ambience was energetic and very informal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Main Courses Menu a Bit RestrictedAlgourmetVIPDined on 8/27/2014All was good, food, service and ambience. The wine list is remarkably long and a bit confusing but they have a helpful sommelier to help you navigate through it. The main courses menu is rather limited. Adding three or four courses more would go a long way in enhancing the overall experienceSpecial Features:
- Mixed experienceBeendleVIPDined on 8/27/2014Very good food (scallops, kale caesar especially) but the service was hit and miss, especially the wine service. Took forever to get the sommelier to our table for a recommendation -- I had to get up and complain. Then the waiter offered to take notes on what I wanted and pass them to the sommelier! Bizarre. On the plus side, when I told the hostess that our table was to noisy, she promptly reseated us.Special Features:
- Great food subpar serviceChinnockDined on 8/26/2014After visiting ink in LA and VOLT in Fredrick I was hoping for a comparable experience, yet disappointed. Location was in a mall that required parking in a onsite garage but no parking validation... (Cheap). Looking out to the mall floor (H&M) was out of character of the ambiance. Server was slow, pushed the Brussels sprouts too much (3 times)...forgot the cornbread and blamed its timing on the kitchen as oppSpecial Features:
- Wine pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014The wine prices were alittle steep compared to other area restaurants of this caliberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Range ReviewMDdinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014Don't go there hungry or you might leave hungry. Food was mostly delicious; portions extremely small and overpriced. For example pork came with approximately one tablespoon's worth of mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of Range's version of succotash. Pizza (ricotta cheese) was nothing special. Beet salad had no greens; tiny pieces of beets although was tasty. Brussels sprouts were very good and as a side dish was a more generous portion.
- Lousy menu.WadeDined on 8/26/2014Took my husband for his bday. We both looked at the menu, then looked at each other. Mutual agreement to exit. Nice ambiance though.Special Features:
- Farm to table.ShellyDined on 8/24/2014Fresh ingredients, amazing food and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restuarant week experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/24/2014We went fro Sunday brunch during restaurant week - very quiet on an August Sunday. Food was very good and nicely served with the exception of a watermelon sorbet that was pale pink and tasteless. especially liked the hangar steak - fine saucing. Range is my go to place for meeting people who drive down the Bethesda corridor and of course need parking. ALso very convenient to Metro and Wisconsin Ave busess which I use since I live in Gtown. I have given the ambience a lower rating because I am not sure what I make of a view of a large shopping mall and hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Seemed understaffed. Not nearly the experience we had noneonths ago.
- Great food & service, unique menuSteffushDined on 8/23/2014Was there for restaurant week...an amazing menu...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changes at RangebajaDined on 8/23/2014Although a good menu, I liked the previous menu with the many vegetable choices which could be shared. Now only a couple. The space has been reduced as now sharing with another restaurant. Noisy. Still a good choice of venues.Special Features:
- Good Food Slow ServiceFracasiDined on 8/22/2014Once the food arrived, it was very good. However, the service was extraordinarily slow.
- MediumSarah54Dined on 8/22/2014i must say i was bummed ... our first impression was an incredibly rude hostess. The food was good we had appetizers, main course and dessert (i had the carbonara which was really good, my husband had the scallops which were also quite good), the wine selection wonderful and our server was attentive but overall i was underwhelmed - there was nothing about the experience that made me feel i need to repeat it. Perhaps i was clouded by the rudeness we were greeted with on arrival, but if you are looking for the triple aim (food, service and atmosphere) i think you will do better elsewhere.
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/22/2014Range continues to serve some of the best food in the area with an urban grace and charm.Special Features:
- Get The Bread Basket!BethesdaEmptyNesterVIPDined on 8/21/2014Four of us all liked our food, which included hanger steak, salmon, and the carbonara, but only the salmon was excellent. The bread basket was fantastic, especially the cornbread, and the desserts were to die for, especially the ice cream sandwiches. The service was uneven. When the bread basket came, large plates were put at each place. Before we could even help ourselves to the bread, our salads arrived, so there was much confusion about where the plates should go. Five minutes later our entrees arrived. We felt very rushed. Once we got the entrees, we could eat them at a leisurely pace, but once we ordered dessert, we waited an eternity to get it. One of us had dined here many times before and the service had always been excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive food and drinksKLuvDined on 8/20/2014Excited about the opportunity to try different foods (lamb neck curry). Inventive drinks that provided unexpected but delicious flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passing through townpaleojeanneDined on 8/19/2014The food was very good, despite the very noisy and stark ambiance. Service was excellent and friendly staff tried to make up for steely empty decorSpecial Features:
- 3 for dinnerRalphDined on 8/18/2014Overall, the food was good, but not exceptional. The beet salad appetizer was pretty standard. The hangar steak was served quite rare, not medium-rare, and the meat was actually too tender, to the point of falling aprt when cut, though the taste was fine without the thick sauces. The mushroom/goat cheese pizza was very good, though the crust was very chewy. The service was excellent. The restaurant got very noisy as it filled up.Special Features:
- Great service, inconsistent fooddcshrinkDined on 8/17/2014Our server, Remy, provided outstanding service - efficient, friendly, knowledgeable. Would hire her in a second. The food was hit or miss. Gazpacho and Murray's chicken were excellent, hanger steak was lackluster - burned but not crusted, stringy. The vegetables accompanying the steak were a mess of muddy flavors. The semifreddo dessert just didn't work while the ice cream sandwiches were very good without being special.Special Features:
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant was FREEZING. Multiple patrons near our table commented on the air temperature. It was hard to enjoy the food because the restaurant was too cold. Food was good, although incredibly small portions and was surprised that the bread was an additional charge. The service was poor. Plates were not cleared after we were done eating and our second course was brought out with a table full of dirty plates. The bread didn't even come until after our appetizer. Also the server did not explain anything on the menu. For a nice fine dining experience, usually the server discusses the menu and talks about any specials or the concept of the restaurant. We probably will not be back.Special Features: