5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: (202) 803-8020
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
337 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (215)special occasion (125)good for groups (89)notable wine list (88)hot spot (81)neighborhood gem (70)romantic (51)vibrant bar scene (47)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (23)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Tapas type experience. SharedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/5/2013Tapas type experience. Shared great chicken, hanger steak, cheese platter, corn bread with a sweet bacon spread, bread basket with a variety of spreads. Huge wine list.Special Features:
- The Kamachi collar in tomatoOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/5/2013The Kamachi collar in tomato salsify was excellent I could have eaten more of it, fried brussel sprouts were good but a bit greasy,lamb tasting was just good (liked the lamb shoulder the best as opposed to the sausage & loin), the pork cheek was fair, pizza with prawns & arugula was a bit disappointing, the cornbread with bacon marmalade was a good combination but the cornbread was dry, there's room for improvement. The servers were attentive & prompt in the beginning but when the restaurant got busier, the service slowed down so better get an early reservation. The restaurant has a different concept of service & style which I really love because you get to taste several dishes of smaller than traditional portions but can be confusingSpecial Features:
- Food court?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/4/2013Great food, great service, floor and bar! Only down side is view, one entire side of the restaurant has glass wall... Made me feel like I was in a food court.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andRangeFanDined on 1/4/2013The food was delicious and exciting, but the service was slow. It's still a new place, so hopefully, the timing will improve!Special Features:
- There is nothing here to associateOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/4/2013There is nothing here to associate this restaurant to Volt in Frederick. The sampling of ham came with 2 pieces of bread (as did the cheese sampling at the next table). The bread basket came with cornbread that was too sweet to eat. The lamb chops were fatty and without any flavor. The potatoes and brussel sprouts were excellent. In spite of a pointed request not to be seated away from everything by my companion in a wheelchair, we were taken to the farthest corner of the restaurant where absolutely no one else was seated. This was after being made to wait outside the entrance for "our table to be prepared" although the restaurant at this point was far from full. We were disappointed to say the least.
- I thought Range was great!LindseyDined on 1/4/2013I thought Range was great! The only thing that makes it a little odd is that it's kind of part of a mall and it's next door neighbor is the Cheese Cake Factory (Range is totally above and beyond the Cheese Cake Factory's league). The energy was electric and there was certainly a buzz around the dining room. The food was amazing and our waiter Sam was delightful. I will definitely go back and check out their happy hour and brunch.Special Features:
- We were disappointed. ProbablymgoblueVIPDined on 1/4/2013We were disappointed. Probably a result of the over-hype and nothing was bad, but two days later I cannot think of anything that I would definitely order again.Special Features:
- Cheese sampler was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/3/2013Cheese sampler was delicious. Good selections of cheeses. The service was not so good. Our waiter disappeared for long periods of time. And when I wanted to order oysters, he told me that they only had one type of Oyster available, but I knew this wasn't true. The head bartender had told me about three different options. Thankfully the waiter verified this and I was able o order a sampling of all three types of oysters. The waiter tried to make up for his poor service by giving me two chocolate truffles after our meal, which I really appreciated. Overall, the food was really delicious and that was the most important thing for me.
- Worth a visit, but if you'veOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/3/2013Worth a visit, but if you've been to Volt you will need to temper your expectations. The dishes were uneven: the beet salad and chicken were very good, the pizza toppings were tasty but the pie was extremely soggy in the middle, and the black cod had a sauce that overwhelmed the excellent taste of the fish. To be fair, the restaurant is very new and still experiencing growing pains. Here's hoping that it will improve with age.
- For Dining and WiningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/3/2013While only open a month, Range is already serving some great dishes. We enjoyed everything meat (tongue, heart, etc.) and while some of the dishes need tweaking and getting to the table on time, it was still a wonderful experience. What a great wine list too! We loved sitting along the kitchen and watching the activity, but also enjoyed the bar and the cocktails. Our server was a bit overwhelmed and the managers could have been more attentive, but these are issues that will get fixed with time. Go when you have the time to relax and dine and you will really enjoy the experience. A big congrats to the team.Special Features:
- This is all constructive criticism!like2eatVIPDined on 1/3/2013This is all constructive criticism! The restaurant is very new and there is no way a restaurant can be good or great within two weeks of opening especially a restaurant this size. Having said that: the foie gras was bad, the pasta with beef cheeks had no taste and barely a couple of shavings (really shavings?) of beef cheeks. The ribeye end cap was very tasty, the roasted vegetables (carrots and cauliflower) were good and the lemon dessert was excellent! Service was not good with our waitress all over the place and then ending up chatting with a patron for over 15 minutes about somethingpersonal it seemed. I will definitely give Range 3-6 months to work out its food and service before I return and give it my final judgement. Good luc
- We went with somewhat lowLike2eatDined on 1/3/2013We went with somewhat low expectations given the size of the restaurant. Usually restaurants that large aren't particularly good. We thought our food was quite good. The tables were reasonably spaced, but the place lacked a little warmth. Probably would be nicer in the summer. Still, overall, it was an enjoyable experience.
- A wonderful addition to FriendshipOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/3/2013A wonderful addition to Friendship Heights. A very interesting concept and very professionally put together and run. Excellent staff. Prices are a bit high given that you need to order 2 - 3 plates per person, but not over the top and matched by top-quality food.Special Features:
- I was a bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/3/2013My husband and I dined at Range this past Thursday night. Got 1/2 dozen oysters, which was good. Bread basket was more for a group of 4, we could not finish (we asked the waiter to pack the leftover so we could take home, along with fois gras, which he forgot to bring to us and we came home empty-handed). Got the potted fois gras, which was so so, I think it should be accompanied with more bread with that (the brioche was dry). Then got kale caesar, which was fantastic. We then got leg of lamb, which just melted in our mouth -- honestly, that probably was the best dish. We then got kampachi, which I used to eat growing up in Japan, was done too dressed up -- it is a commoner's fish, and it is best cooked to bring out the natural flavor.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2013Small plates, good spirits, fun and imaginative. I like the concept - minikitchens with micromenus of small plates. Go 3x a week for a drink and a bite. You'll never be never bored and rarely disappointed. Come with a small group and dine around the world. It doesn't always work, imagine sharing a whole bowl of fried brussel spouts or 6oz of one terrine with your favorite dinner companion. Mostly reasonable prices with some exceptions. You'll need your server to guide you for more than a tapas style experience. Good thing they are knowledgeable and friendly. Be ready for a highly interactive meal - there are a lot of decisions, courses and plates so the staff (waiters, somms, bus) will be at dinner with you throughout the meal. - butSpecial Features:
- Needs work.... a lot of work.ArvodogDined on 1/2/2013I was prepared for a bit of chaos; after all, the restaurant has been open only for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared enough. My 9 pm reservation on a normally slow Wednesday evening (1/2/2013) was apparently not sufficient enough to warrant a seating until 9:30 pm! And when finally seated at a table, there were many empty tables all around us in this cavernous restaurant. Then we had to deal with the service. While very nice and helpful, the waiters showed up at our table in geological time. Once we finally were seated, it took at least 20 minutes to get someone to take our order. Then each course of this American "tapas" type menu took eons to arrive at our table. Once the food came, it was very good, but small portions.Special Features:
- This is a dishonest cooking-SanityCheckVIPDined on 1/2/2013This is a dishonest cooking- too gimmicky and stupid- Need to rework the menu- Suggest the chef be sent back to cooking school.
- Give Range more time, go to VoltOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/2/2013Some of the worst service I've had at a resturant in a while.. I would have rather gone to Volt. I understand that it is a newer place but you would have thought they would have been more selective about the service. The bar staff was amazing. If I were to go back I would just stay and eat at the bar. Once you get past the arrogant and helpless hosts who don't check in with you while you're waiting for your table which I didn't get seated at until almost 30 minutes after my reservation was for. Then we didn't even get a server to our table for another 10 minutes. Once we made a comment to a manager the service was better. The food was good but definitely time was taken until the main entree was served over an hour since ordered.Special Features:
- The food at Range is good,agirlthatlovesgreatfoodVIPDined on 1/2/2013The food at Range is good, but the service need improving. It took 20 minutes to get seated with my reservations. We had drinks while waited for the table. The server came over and took our drink order and brought our drinks to the table, but he never came back to the table. We waited for another 20 minutes for the server to come back. I had to ask the bus boy to get us a server…still no server. We were about to walk out. Finally, our bartender, Owen came over and ended up being our server. Owen was a life saver. He was great as our bartender and our server. Anyway, food was good, but they need to work on the Customer Service.
- We had a reservation for 8pmOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/2/2013We had a reservation for 8pm but were not seated until 8:40--and only after we asked repeatedly about our table and asked about a table for 5 that was set-up for at least 5 minutes before they let us sit down. The host wasn't very nice about the situation--he wasn't rude, but avoided eye contact completely, so I sought out the manager who was much more understanding and helpful. Once seated we had to ask repeatedly for menus and it took the waiter a while to get to us but then the food came quickly and was overall quite delicious. The only hitch was with dessert--the waiter had suggested we get a sampling of candy/chocolates from the cart while we wait for our main desserSpecial Features:
- The food & ambience are TERRIFIC.CarolineVIPDined on 1/2/2013The food & ambience are TERRIFIC. I took an adventure with my palate as I tried new things and revisited old classics. The chicken liver pudding, pork cheek and ahi tuna were favorites! Bartenders are great too - interesting cocktail menu and very friendly. That said, all other service was abysmal. The hosts were quite unfriendly, check-in was confusing at best, the waiter was slow and mixed up our order twice, and the timing of our food was either very fast (5 min from order time) or extremely slow (40 minutes between dishes). Admittedly, Range has only been open a few weeks but until the service issues are fixed, I would be hesitant to return to sit anywhere but the bar.Special Features:
- Our reservation was at 7:15.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/2/2013Our reservation was at 7:15. There were two of us. We did not get out of the restaurant until after 10:00 pm. While the food, once it finally arrived, was good, the service was terrible. The table beside us, seated at the same time, were finished their meal before we even received our first order of food---which were salads! Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Terrific - A Real SuccessBethesdaresidentVIPDined on 1/2/2013Bryan Voltaggio has done a wonderful job with his new restaurant focusing on mid-Atlantic staples. Comfortable, spacious, great food, excellent service. The huge menu can be a bit overwhelming, so decide what kind of entree you are interested in (meat, fish, pasta) and order to match. There could be more fish on the menu. It's certainly possible to have a pizza and salad for $20, or ordering appetizers and meat entrees with wine could push you up over $60 per person. Everything we tried was excellent (except the fried potatoes were a bit soggy). Service was great, but seating was bit slow when we arrived (a pet peeve of mine). Music was a bit too loud. Easy parking. We will be back often to try everything. This is a must-try restaurant.Special Features:
- Overall goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Took 20 minutes for a coca cola. Overall good food. Lobster excellent.Special Features:
- What wasn't to love aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012What wasn't to love about this meal? Our server was one of the best I've had anywhere in a long time and the food was exactly what I was anticipating and more. We started with the cornbread w/bacon marmalade- OMG is all I can say- I can't wait til they start selling that marmalade by the jar. We shared a few of the small plates which were all good and then came the main courses- the rabbit for my friend and rotisserie lamb shoulder for me- both just simply amazing. Desserts were great too... Can't wait to go back and try the other menu items that we didn't get a chance to try this time.Special Features:
- fun dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2012The server was great. There are a wide variety of dishes. Diners should understand the small plate concept (though not as small as other tapas concepts in the area). We had the tuna crudo, flatbread with hummus, goat cheese ravioli, rotisserie potatoes with onions and the venison plus dessert. We also chose from the candy cart which comes around to your table and is a nice option if you want something sweet but don't want a big dessert. Next time, I might forego the regular dessert menu and have an ice cream with a few cookies/candies from the cart. Our favorite was the goat cheese ravioli with meat ragu... amazing. The cocktails are a standout - lots of creativity on the menu.Special Features:
- More accurately, this is aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012More accurately, this is a 2.5 star place. We've been to Volt and loved it. We had high expectations for our NYE dinner and left disappointed. It pains me to say it (because I am a fan of Voltaggio) but the food they currently serve at Range seems like food made to appease investors and profit on a name and is no where near the high standards of a chef who cares. Put simply: it was average. We had the ravioli, chicken liver pate, venison, tagliatelle and cornbread. Nothing left us wanting more. Food aside... The menu is big and so is the restaurant. We sat in the back and we had 2 people to fill the water, a different person bringing out the wine and food each round but only one waiter for a section that was clearly too big for hSpecial Features:
- Two friends and I tried Rangepatrimart9Dined on 12/31/2012Two friends and I tried Range for the first time on New Year's Eve, and enjoyed our visit. Our waiter was particularly helpful, especially in disentanglind the bill among the three of us. A couple of points that might be helpful to new patrons: explaining that dishes are served as they are ready, not all at once (we were surprised by this). Also, some terms on the menu could be defined, since not all patrons will be dedicated foodies, e.g. lardo--also, it would be better to make this optional in the bread basket and spreads rather than including it automatically--not everyone (including us) is fond of pure fat. But in spite of these quibbles, Range is very good, and offers interesting choices. I hope to return!Special Features:
- Work on service and adjust food qtyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012It took the waiter 13 minutes to take our drink order and 38 to bring the drinks. 43 minutes to order. I understand it was New Year's week so when I made the reservation and wanted to add two more, the hostess told me that her instructions were the restaurant will not take any more people. But we arrived at 630pm and from that time until almost 10pm, the place had empty tables, lots of available seats. But after the huge wait to order, i understood that they couldnt handle the load. All the "staff dressed in black suits" were all over the place just standing, alas none of them bothered to expedite our order. Disappointing. A waste of human resources. High prices for good "tapas".Special Features:
- Despite what some reviewersOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012Despite what some reviewers have noted, our service was impeccable: attentive without being intrusive, well-paced, friendly without being overly familiar. The food was wonderful, and the fact that we could order small plates to share and then order more as we went along and had room made for a very pleasant, leisurely meal. Perhaps now that they've been open a little while, some of the kinks have worked their way out. But we had a lovely experience and look forward to more. It is definitely someplace to bring out of town guests!Special Features:
- I took my husband in for hisOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/30/2012I took my husband in for his birthday. I clearly indicated this one my OpenTable reservations, however did we hear a happy birthday from anyone? No. I have made special occasion reservations in the past, indicating to the respective restaurant the nature of the event. Needless to say, we have always been wished “Congrats,” “Happy Birthday,” and “Happy Anniversary.” Range apparently does not practice this very simple but courteous gesture. I also asked for a nice table. We received a table right by where the waiters were grabbing the food. The hustle and bustle and rushing of the plates of foods past our table gave me a headache. Despite the lack of service and craziness, the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Only 2 open weeks; things are goodDissappointedDined on 12/30/2012Restaurant was less than 2 weeks old when we tried it. Large space, various food stations, attentive staff, robust menu however light on vegetarian options. Menu requires careful read to understand what you are getting since so much is offered and dishes are a la carte. Interesting dessert choices and the ice cream was fantastic.Special Features:
- We truly enjoyed our experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012We truly enjoyed our experience. The wait staff was very knowledgeable about the food including how it is prepared and what goes in it. Very helpful and friendly!Special Features:
- Great Service and Food. WouldOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2012Great Service and Food. Would Highly suggest this as a great spot to take family & friends, the food can be shared and a great variety. We have dined all over the country and this was truly on of our top five favorites, way to go Bryan & Hilda!
- disappointed mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/29/2012I was looking forward to my Bday dinner at Range. However the experience and meal was very disappointing. 1) there was no special acknowledgement of bday celebration 2) our server kept trying to up sell us on dishes when we asked for suggestions. she repeated kept insisting on the prime rib and aged beef even though we said we didn't want a lot of heavy meat dishes. 3) we ordered roasted carrots but server brought us salsify drenched in fat 4) other vegetable dishes we ordered were heavy on the fat as well 5) the heaviness of the vegetables dishes along with the other entrees made the entire meal belly-aching It was an extremely letdown meal especially when the cornbread was the best thing I ate at Range.
- We were excited to try theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/29/2012We were excited to try the new restaurant. We had a reservation for two and tried to add our son but were told they were completely full. When we arrived at the restaurant we were seated at a table for three. Our son could have joined us.Special Features:
- Our experience at Range wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2012Our experience at Range was okay. Our lettuce, bacon, blue cheese salad was inedible because of the bacon bits, some of which were literally as hard as a rock. Good pizza and rotisserie potatoes. Our best dish was a ribeye, well marbled with a mushroom sauce. Our apple crisp dessert was deconstructed with eight small melon ball size pieces of apple-good, but very small. The service began strong, although the waiter missed one of our dishes, but as soon as a large party arrived, we were completely ignored - no question about dessert until we asked, waited over 15 minutes after finishing dessert with no check, eventually my husband got up and asked the person pouring water if he could get our check.
- Not my style, but will try againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Help was delightful, but extremely green. Why would we want to sit at the bar when we were the only people at the restaurant. Explained could not sit on stools due to handicap. So while we waited to be seated a very nice waiter took us around the restaurant to keep us amused until we could be seated, he was the highlight of our visit. Music was loud but we learned to live with it. Tables for two are so skinny,not great for mini tastes all over table. Expected a tablecloth, hated the plastic gel placemats, hate bare tables, so yuppy. Prefer to dine in a more formal atmosphere. Eat out almost every night with clients. Will take my younger clients who will probably like the action.Special Features:
- Early Jitters on the RangeSkitripper1VIPDined on 12/28/2012Fortunately, the food delivers and will carry the day. The service was spotty at best and poor to be truly accurate. Our waiter did not know the menu, nor did he have any clue when asked about specifics. In one instance, he asked to look at the menu to see the item and left for a second opinion, but did not return for 15 minutes. After finishing our entrees, we waited nearly 20 minutes to finally be asked if we wanted dessert and/or coffee. As we looked around, we saw the waiter sitting at the bar with some other waiters chit chatting. I am the 1sr one to give a long leash to service when the restaurant is new and just getting their 'sea legs' however this waiter and perhaps others need some serious remedial training. we will return.Special Features:
- Made a reservation after hearingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/28/2012Made a reservation after hearing about the restaurant on Elliot in the Morning. Arrived early and promptly seated. Bar was very busy. Hostess seated us in the back of the restaurant which was completely empty. We figured the place would eventually fill up, it never did. Menu was almost overwhelming but had a lot of standout items with the help of the waitress. The food was phenomenal best dish we ordered was the lamb breast, it was simply delicious. Other stand out items were the beef cheek tagliatelle. Food is great and plan on coming back to try the meat and cheeses which we skipped this time.Special Features: