5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: 2028038020x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
368 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (223)special occasion (148)notable wine list (94)neighborhood gem (83)good for groups (78)hot spot (76)great for lunch (47)romantic (42)vibrant bar scene (41)great for brunch (28)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014sorry, but service was slow, food was lukewarm at best, it was cold, dark and noisy. Liked the old menu much better.
- SandyDined on 6/27/2014This is my third visit and I was dissapointed. The menu had no changes. Last time there was a lobster salad that I was looking forward to. And it was very noicy at 1 in the afternoon. Prices were high for what we were getting. I had a beet salad which was basically beats -no greens,
- Lunch at RangeFoodluvrVIPDined on 6/24/2014Our lunch was to be a birthday celebration - Range was a poor choice. Very limited menu - we wondered why they bother to open at lunch. Our lamb burgers were not prepared as we had requested - had to send them back. Won't be returning to Range.
- Very good but don't arrive famishedLive2eatDined on 6/23/2014This was my second time here. First time was for brunch and I loved it. Second time was for dinner. The food was quite good but the portion was absurdly small - especially for $32. I ordered the sea bass and I don't think there was more than 3 oz of fish on the plate. The other ingredients were really like garnishes; definitely not sides. Glad we ordered a bread basket - although that should have come with the meal and not as an extra $8 charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableReadyfordinnerVIPDined on 6/22/2014We visit the DC area every summer and Range is on our "must" list every year. The food is terrific and the service is amazing. We love ordering lots of dishes and sharing. The desserts are divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Range is just rightFamilymealDined on 6/22/2014The food is delicious, fresh and well prepared. The staff is attentive. I've dined at Range multiple times and they're consistently good. Make a reservation , you'll be glad you went. There's also some good fresh made chocolates and cookies tucked into the back corner that you can purchase and box up to take with you for a later treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoRoom4SecondsDined on 6/22/2014We enjoyed our recent dinner at Range. The food was prepared and presented very well. The wait staff was very attentive and engaging. The timing of the starters, the entres and the desserts was matched with the pace of our meal. The sommalier met our challenging requests with a nice selection of moderately priced wines. The the restaurant's theme 'a twist on familiar standard fair' with more trendy ingredients and preparation created some interesting menu selections. We decided to dine at Range early Sunday evening, there were many available tables and the service was great. Weekly dining at Range is beyond our budget, but it's on our list for special occassions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2014Expect to wait at least 30 minutes for your table, even if you have a reservation. There were four groups of us at that bar waiting 30 min for our reservation. And we were small reservations: 2-4 pp each.Special Features:
- Third time was not the charmDCeaterVIPDined on 6/21/2014Third time dining here and what a disappointment. We were celebrating a birthday. Upon arrival I mentioned this to the hostess who seemed puzzled as to why I was telling her this. The restaurant was out of 2 of the menu items and 3 of the beers which was disappointing. The hangar steak was overcooked (medium rather than the requested medium rare). To top it all off the waiters came and sang happy birthday for a table next to us but were apparently not aware that we were also celebrating a birthday - for this category of restaurant those are just too many hiccups. When I flagged this to the waitress she came back with a box of chocolates, but even a great waitress can't make up for an overall poor experience. I will not be returning.Special Features:
- MediocreKcipDined on 6/21/2014I've been to Range 3 times over the past year, and every time I hope it will be a great meal. Every time, I am disappointed. Each time I have been to range, there has been some type of problem. It's varied from wrong orders, long wait times for food, or incompetent wait staff. On one occasion it was very obvious that one or our orders was forgotten. I inquired with our waiter, and he ended up bringing out the missing dish about ~10 minutes later. What was strange was the waiter brought us out a complimentary salad....of his choice. Overall the food is pretty good. It's not worth the $ (paying for location) and not good enough to make up for the short comings of the rest of the restaurant. You are better off at Founding Farmers.
- Superb DiningFoodLoversDined on 6/21/2014We made reservations weeks in advance to dine at Range. To make this simple, one of the best meals I have had in years! The highlight of the 3 courses we had was the pork loin and belly! The presentation was beautiful and only outshined by the flavors of the dish. The pork belly was cooked perfectly, it was so succulent that it melted in my mouth. The bacon grits that were paired with the pork loin were delicious. Service was above average and luckily we had a table at the far end of the restaurant so we were isolated from the main dining area where the noise level was loud. Our party found the cocktails to be lacking, which was the only drawback of the entire evening.Special Features:
- Uniquely prepared foodsammVIPDined on 6/21/2014Good food. Small portions but good quality. Pork Rinds are excellent, as was the lamb shank. Nice selection of desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive Decent Food Great ServicehnsfoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014Range has good food, not outstanding but very solid. It has a good atmosphere - modern, clean, hip but not too hip - but the side is all glass and you look into a mall. Your view is cheesecake factory, H&M and neon flashing escalators. Having said that, I knew where I was going so this was not a shock nor a problem. The problem is that Range is priced like the food is outstanding and the location is fabulous. I love food and am happy to pay for it but this was overpriced. I must say that our waitress was FANTASTIC! She was so attentive and lovely, and very thorough in helping us navigate the menu with respect to our son's allergy. I wouldn't say no to going back but I would recommend it more if the price reflected the overall experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Great ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014I always enjoy Range. The wine list is amazing and the sommeliers are also very knowledgable. The staff is very friendly and eager to please. You can't make a bad choice with any dish.Special Features:
- Meh.midwestcriticDined on 6/20/2014It's not that the food was disappointing, it's that it was disappointing with respect to the price. I've dined at many world-class restaurants in New Orleans, New York, and Toronto. Range was definitely on par in terms of the bill, but the food didn't quite measure up. Tuna crudo was bland, the bacon marmalade everyone raves about was not unlike eating a teaspoon of salt, and the scallops were somewhat rubbery. Lamb dishes were both quite good, and were easily the best at our table. Cocktails were good, but not outstanding. I really wanted to like this place more, particularly with all of the hype both it and the chef receives. Sadly, neither seemed to deliver. Was worth the trip, all things considered, but returning is doubtful.Special Features:
- Would returnmcubbageVIPDined on 6/20/2014Overall the food was quite good (salmon excluded)... Our server was excellent and very personable and friendly, however the people bringing out the food seemed to continually get it wrong. Not sure if this was the servers error or the food runners' error - at one point brought the dish for another table to our table (leaving 1 person at that table w/out their entree and our party of 7 with only 1 person with an entree). Also, for a group of 7 - apparently you get banished to a little box in the back, when we would have preferred to be out in the more lively dining room. Prices were reasonable for quality of food. I would go back, but probably only with a party of 4. Pork rinds were AMAZING. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 6/20/2014The jalapeño cheddar biscuit in the basket of breads is especially good. The macaroni and cheese is a superb dish. My colleague raved about the lamb burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and amazing servicenkstakeDined on 6/18/2014We went here for my birthday and although it was a tad expensive, it felt worth it since the food was simply delicious and the service we received was amazing! I noted in my reservation that it was my birthday and they gave me my dessert for free with two glasses of champagne for my fiance and i! It was truly the royal treatment and I will definitely be going back! The location itself its a bit funny since you're in a mall-like building but it's convenient and the parking garage is great! Great experience!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/dismissive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/18/2014I was out with friends (five women in all) celebrating a milestone event. Although I had made a reservation far ahead, our table was way in the back, next a single women who was eating and reading, and a few empty tables/counter seating. Our waiter disappeared for long stretches...the service was unusually bad. I'm a regular and have had good experiences at Range. I always tip well, because the wait staff works hard and deserves it. Couldn't help feeling that our group was an after-thought on this occasion. Our waiter, in particular was dismissive (though the rest of the wait staff was strong as usual). So this overall experience was not up to Range's standards ... though the food and drinks were reliably very good.Special Features:
- Good food, decent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/17/2014Everything that we ordered at Range was very good. The cocktails were very slow to arrive, but wine was delivered much quicker. We asked the sommelier to assist with choosing wine by the glass after our cocktails were finished, but she did not stop by our table later in the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeeshDined on 6/17/2014Must haves... Salumi, Brussel Sprouts & Oysters. Great cocktails and wine selection. My go to near work for dates or catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceNWnativeDined on 6/15/2014Too much has changed since Range opened. The original concept is gone and in its place is a restaurant with too few choices and nothing unique. The service is poor ( a problem since opening) and missteps occur at every course. If this were a cheap local bistro these issues would be less pointed. But with entrees cresting to 50 dollars more is expected.
- Brthday celebrationlinajaneDined on 6/15/2014This is the second time we've been to The Range. We enjoyed the experience, the innovative food & good service. However, it is not cheap & the waiter was not knowledgeable about Armagnac. He did not bring the kind we had ordered & brought yet another bottle to show us what we had. We were charged for a more expensive kind than we wanted. We did not appreciate the loud & inappropriate music wth what we had hoped would be a quiet early dinner.Special Features:
- What a difference a year makes!scottyVIPDined on 6/14/2014To start I was here a year ago and had a wonderful culinary experience… So much so that when we came back to DC we made a point of coming here again and inviting some locals along… While our waitress was bubbly and personable, the service was dreadfully slow… even for the drinks… While busy the place had many empty tables indicating that it could not have been an overwhelmed staff… The final straw was our guests ordered a $55 piece of meat that was not cooked to order and was tough as nails…. Just a mess all around… That said they did remove the charge for the meat and gave us some dessert bags… Greatly appreciated but not acceptable from a high end Top Chef location… Pack your knives! You have been cut!
- Big disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014First and foremost, the restaurant is overpriced relative to the quality of the food we received. I understand the need to maintain profit margins, but charging $8 for a basket of bread (varied types & ok taste but no better than free breads elsewhere) is ridiculous. Mixed salad not bad; again, not sure justifies $15. My rockfish was ok and reasonably priced, but my husband's $43 16oz rib eye was inedible: cold, mostly fat, and small amount actual beef was stringy and tough. When the waiter came to check on our meals, my husband mentioned this and waiter replied, "I'm sorry sir" and left. I have eaten in many high and moderately priced restaurants in DC and rarely had such bad to mediocre food in one supposedly outstanding.Special Features:
- Range, wake upLEXTerDined on 6/14/2014Disappointed this time. Your magic is gone, Range.There are consistent and predictable restaurants. And then there are the ones that stand out. Yours was outstanding when opened. Enjoyed the old menu, and the New Year Eve celebration. The new menu is dull and a far cry from what you used to do. Black's turns out the same with great panache and taste. You have a lot of competition in the neighborhood. Do not forget about it.Special Features:
- Great Spotslimelime12Dined on 6/14/2014I had the Rockfish on Gnochetti, and it was to die for. It was absolutely perfectly cooked and the appetizer (cornbread with bacon marmalade) was delicious. Partner had the Scallops and they were marshmallow-fluffy with the perfect sear (just a tiny taste of the pan - in a good way). The drinks were perfect (forgot their names, but mine had a stencil of a skull imprinted into the egg white froth at the top. Service was fast and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great uptown restaurantFoodieladyVIPDined on 6/13/2014I live in Chevy Chase and we are thrilled to have Range in the area. There are very few dining choices of this calibre. The menu has a mix of classics dishes done with a modern twist as well as some more interesting options that are still approachable. The wines by the glass are very good, as are the choices on wine list by the bottle. The staff are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The dining room has great ambiance despite the fact that it is located in a mall and overlooking the atrium. Range is a great choice for date night or a relaxing evening out with friends. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than I expectedChChCHADined on 6/13/2014Despite all the raves, I was underwhelmed by the food at Range. I started with the beef heart carpaccio. It was under seasoned. I think of this dish as a savory, yet the meat was served in a small dice (not thinly sliced) and accompanied by melon. Odd. I had the lamb shank for an entree. It was over cooked by at least a half an hour and thus the meat, dry and flavorless. I sent it back once but the second attempt was no different. There was a lot of basting juice poured over it but this doesn't change the underlying texture. Disappointing. The manager kindly removed it from our bill, but still... On the upside, my partner's scallops he proclaimed the best he'd ever eaten. Too bad our experience didn't live up to all the good reviews.Special Features:
- FantasticotomPVIPDined on 6/12/2014I love Range!!! Menu changed up for lunch gives more substantial dishes and sandwiches. The Food, as always, was superb. Service and ambience Excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealSally8VIPDined on 6/11/2014We all ordered salads to start. I got the caesar kale salad which I thought was better at Family Meal, the Voltaggio Frederick diner. Three of us ordered entrees, two of us ordered pizza. Service took a long time, but that can be expected at good restaurants. The three entrees were served, then the pizzas were served at least 6-8 minutes later. The pizzas were cold. When the new pizzas were served, the other three had finished their entrees. The pizzas were mediocre. On a positive note, The scallops and hanger steak were quite tasty.
- small portionsKimbyVIPDined on 6/10/2014This restaurant has consistently good food, but their portion sizes are very small, especially for the price. We ordered bread and it came out after the entrees, defeating the point of bread.Special Features:
- Limited choices for lunchjudalineDined on 6/10/2014There were limited choices -nothing simple, except perhaps the pizzas Both my guest and I had special requests re our orders, she asked to omit the bacon from her chicken salad sandwich, I asked to omit the pepperoni from my hamburger because I can't eat anything spicy. After a wait, her sandwich came with bacon and had to be replaced - another wait. Mine had chopped pepperoni mixed in with the hamburger so I couldn't eat it. They did take the hamburger off the bill, without my having to ask for that. Wait staff were pleasant but, in our case, incompetent.
- Change at RangeZyxw1976VIPDined on 6/8/2014We've been to Range a number of times since it opened. This time was different. Gone are the small plates to share and choices that set Range apart from other restaurants. Now Range is just like every other restaurant with appetizers, main courses and desserts. And the prices are higher. Please bring back the "old" Range!
- Will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/8/2014first time eating at Range. We had a very good experience food, service and overall experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014We had booked the table for 8:30pm. They had a small table on the bar area for us. The waiter was very nice but this restaurant has absolutely no intimacy nor character especially since our table was at the entrance (most probably for the bar clients). Food is average and too expensive, not worth the price. the entrees are between $35 and $54 dollars (If I remember it right) and the side dish is separate
- It was OKCantanteVIPDined on 6/6/2014The biscuits with bacon jam were great, but over all the food was fine, but did not inspire. And it was a bit noisy. The waiter and wine steward were really fantastic. They knew the food, could make could recommendations, and were very accomodating. Much of the rest of the staff was new and did not seem to have their bearings yet. Maybe it was just the new crowd coming in to work the summer, but when I asked one of the new bus boys if the bacon jam was kosher, he said he would go back and ask. Really? You should hire more staff with a sense of humor and service experience. I wouldn't write them off, but also would not go out of my way to go back there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/5/2014While the food was truly original and delicious, the atmosphere made the experience a disappointing one. After requesting not to sit near the bar (because of the high volume of noise), the hostess only offered us seating one table further away. There appeared to be many more tables across the dining area and away from the bar that were not occupied as the evening progressed. The talking from the bar was so loud that we had to nearly shout to one another to communicate, no doubt increasing the level of noise even more.Special Features:
- Disappointed after the HypeDCVisitorVIPDined on 6/3/2014We ate at 8:15 on a Tuesday. The restaurant was not crowded, but waited a long time to order and receive drinks. Plates came out sporadically after another wait for the cheese course. Doubt the kitchen has mastered a shift from small plates to more conventional menu. Server did not tell us there was a vegetarian menu ujntil taking order. Food not up to its hype. Pizzas were crispy but not as good as 2 AMys, tuna appetizer had interesting flavors but not enough of the accompanying green puree to be memorable, scallops were blah. The maitake mushrooms were overcooked and flavorless - took a while to ID them. The homemade mango soda was nothing like mango. They should be embarassed. Thrilled to get a table at Range but not going back.
- DisappointmentGoodFoodLoverVIPDined on 6/3/2014This is my fourth time eating at Range, and they are not living up to the earlier quality we experienced in the other three visits. I would not recommend it again for a number of reasons, including the food quality did not merit the prices charged. The meats we had were nothing special, yet expensive. EG $54.00 for the lamb tasting. Sauces were run of the mill, and the bread basket had less pieces of bread and came only with four dips rather than the six we had been used to. It is obvious that Voltaggio is cutting costs to to the detriment of the food, and of course, of the diners' enjoyment. Having said all this, I would emphasize that service was excellent, but the wait staff can only compensate so much for quality of the food!!!