5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: (202) 803-8020
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
335 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (217)special occasion (127)good for groups (89)notable wine list (88)hot spot (81)neighborhood gem (73)romantic (52)vibrant bar scene (48)great for lunch (43)great for brunch (23)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- AnniversaryDinnerDined on 8/30/2014The service was phenomenal and the food almost as good! The new service provided by open table allowed me to pay my bill from my reservation. I would return in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but expensive ...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for lunch on Saturday, lunch and brunch type entrees. Lots of nice "touches" such as the square ice cubes, iced tea brought to the table in individual bottles. The cocktails looked interesting but we didn't have one. I had the lobster roll which was in spicy remoulade which was vert good but there was way too much of it -the lobster should have been the main ingredient not the sauce. Friend had pulled pork - very tasty and a bit on the sweet side. Portions were not huge but had a generous portion of fries. Love the sofa seating, very comfortable. Service started out good but slowed down as other diners arrived although the restaurant was far from crowded. Downside - expensive $75 for two w/out alcohol or dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Whilel the food was good, it was not great, as expected. I would go back land give it another shot. The service was excellent. The ambience was energetic and very informal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Main Courses Menu a Bit RestrictedAlgourmetVIPDined on 8/27/2014All was good, food, service and ambience. The wine list is remarkably long and a bit confusing but they have a helpful sommelier to help you navigate through it. The main courses menu is rather limited. Adding three or four courses more would go a long way in enhancing the overall experienceSpecial Features:
- Mixed experienceBeendleVIPDined on 8/27/2014Very good food (scallops, kale caesar especially) but the service was hit and miss, especially the wine service. Took forever to get the sommelier to our table for a recommendation -- I had to get up and complain. Then the waiter offered to take notes on what I wanted and pass them to the sommelier! Bizarre. On the plus side, when I told the hostess that our table was to noisy, she promptly reseated us.Special Features:
- Great food subpar serviceChinnockVIPDined on 8/26/2014After visiting ink in LA and VOLT in Fredrick I was hoping for a comparable experience, yet disappointed. Location was in a mall that required parking in a onsite garage but no parking validation... (Cheap). Looking out to the mall floor (H&M) was out of character of the ambiance. Server was slow, pushed the Brussels sprouts too much (3 times)...forgot the cornbread and blamed its timing on the kitchen as oppSpecial Features:
- Wine pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014The wine prices were alittle steep compared to other area restaurants of this caliberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Range ReviewMDdinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014Don't go there hungry or you might leave hungry. Food was mostly delicious; portions extremely small and overpriced. For example pork came with approximately one tablespoon's worth of mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of Range's version of succotash. Pizza (ricotta cheese) was nothing special. Beet salad had no greens; tiny pieces of beets although was tasty. Brussels sprouts were very good and as a side dish was a more generous portion.
- Lousy menu.WadeDined on 8/26/2014Took my husband for his bday. We both looked at the menu, then looked at each other. Mutual agreement to exit. Nice ambiance though.Special Features:
- Farm to table.ShellyDined on 8/24/2014Fresh ingredients, amazing food and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restuarant week experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/24/2014We went fro Sunday brunch during restaurant week - very quiet on an August Sunday. Food was very good and nicely served with the exception of a watermelon sorbet that was pale pink and tasteless. especially liked the hangar steak - fine saucing. Range is my go to place for meeting people who drive down the Bethesda corridor and of course need parking. ALso very convenient to Metro and Wisconsin Ave busess which I use since I live in Gtown. I have given the ambience a lower rating because I am not sure what I make of a view of a large shopping mall and hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Seemed understaffed. Not nearly the experience we had noneonths ago.
- Great food & service, unique menuSteffushVIPDined on 8/23/2014Was there for restaurant week...an amazing menu...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changes at RangebajaDined on 8/23/2014Although a good menu, I liked the previous menu with the many vegetable choices which could be shared. Now only a couple. The space has been reduced as now sharing with another restaurant. Noisy. Still a good choice of venues.Special Features:
- Good Food Slow ServiceFracasiDined on 8/22/2014Once the food arrived, it was very good. However, the service was extraordinarily slow.
- MediumSarah54Dined on 8/22/2014i must say i was bummed ... our first impression was an incredibly rude hostess. The food was good we had appetizers, main course and dessert (i had the carbonara which was really good, my husband had the scallops which were also quite good), the wine selection wonderful and our server was attentive but overall i was underwhelmed - there was nothing about the experience that made me feel i need to repeat it. Perhaps i was clouded by the rudeness we were greeted with on arrival, but if you are looking for the triple aim (food, service and atmosphere) i think you will do better elsewhere.
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/22/2014Range continues to serve some of the best food in the area with an urban grace and charm.Special Features:
- Get The Bread Basket!BethesdaEmptyNesterVIPDined on 8/21/2014Four of us all liked our food, which included hanger steak, salmon, and the carbonara, but only the salmon was excellent. The bread basket was fantastic, especially the cornbread, and the desserts were to die for, especially the ice cream sandwiches. The service was uneven. When the bread basket came, large plates were put at each place. Before we could even help ourselves to the bread, our salads arrived, so there was much confusion about where the plates should go. Five minutes later our entrees arrived. We felt very rushed. Once we got the entrees, we could eat them at a leisurely pace, but once we ordered dessert, we waited an eternity to get it. One of us had dined here many times before and the service had always been excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive food and drinksKLuvDined on 8/20/2014Excited about the opportunity to try different foods (lamb neck curry). Inventive drinks that provided unexpected but delicious flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passing through townpaleojeanneDined on 8/19/2014The food was very good, despite the very noisy and stark ambiance. Service was excellent and friendly staff tried to make up for steely empty decorSpecial Features:
- 3 for dinnerRalphDined on 8/18/2014Overall, the food was good, but not exceptional. The beet salad appetizer was pretty standard. The hangar steak was served quite rare, not medium-rare, and the meat was actually too tender, to the point of falling aprt when cut, though the taste was fine without the thick sauces. The mushroom/goat cheese pizza was very good, though the crust was very chewy. The service was excellent. The restaurant got very noisy as it filled up.Special Features:
- Great service, inconsistent fooddcshrinkDined on 8/17/2014Our server, Remy, provided outstanding service - efficient, friendly, knowledgeable. Would hire her in a second. The food was hit or miss. Gazpacho and Murray's chicken were excellent, hanger steak was lackluster - burned but not crusted, stringy. The vegetables accompanying the steak were a mess of muddy flavors. The semifreddo dessert just didn't work while the ice cream sandwiches were very good without being special.Special Features:
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant was FREEZING. Multiple patrons near our table commented on the air temperature. It was hard to enjoy the food because the restaurant was too cold. Food was good, although incredibly small portions and was surprised that the bread was an additional charge. The service was poor. Plates were not cleared after we were done eating and our second course was brought out with a table full of dirty plates. The bread didn't even come until after our appetizer. Also the server did not explain anything on the menu. For a nice fine dining experience, usually the server discusses the menu and talks about any specials or the concept of the restaurant. We probably will not be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food & ServiceEAO27VIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was incredible, especially their Kale Caesar salad, YUM! Every dish showed creativity without being over the the top and was so good. Pork Belly was tasty too. Will definitely recommend and come back.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Went here for restaurant week. The food and drinks were great. The only thing is restaurant week the portions were small, the waitress let us know before hand that they were smaller size portions. I'm not sure how large the actual plates were. Overall the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekReneeVIPDined on 8/17/2014Have been to Range on many occassions, never during Restaurant Week. We were not disappointed. NIce choices; I had the kale ceasar salad, delicious as always and the shellfish pasta for the entree. The shrimp in the pasta tasted as if it had been plucked from the ocean moments earlier. My husband had the gazpacho with crab - delish! The hangar steak was cooked just right and was wonderful for that cut of meat. The desserts were gianormous and delicious - ice cream sandwiches; quality ice cream encased in scrumptious cookies.Special Features:
- WorstmealofmylifeLovetoentertainDined on 8/17/2014Chairs extremely uncomfortable. Noisy, Service is excellent. Chief was arguing with matradee. Long between time when salad was serve before main course was served. Pizza to doughy not done! Actually terrible! Deserts were the highlight.
- Fun and DelishCindyDined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and service but can get noisy. View of atrium and embassy suites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AverageDisappointedDined on 8/17/2014I'd like to say that I was excited by this restaurant because I was looking forward to this new restaurant in the neighborhood, but it was just average. Certainly acceptable for restaurant week but I would not return at regular prices. Speaking from a wealth of experience in 3 star Michelin guide restaurants in Europe, it wouldn't even have made it to the bistrot level of food. Kale Cesar salad and the gazpatcho were the best but the Margarita pizza gave one of our group indigestion. The Hake sandwich was watery. I had to throw away the bun and eat the fish separately, but it was almost unseasoned, it was so tasteless.
- Good Food, Great ServicemarclexDined on 8/16/2014Food was good. Appetizers and desert seemed to be everyone's favorite. Service was outstanding. Our waiter had multiple suggestions ranging from drinks to dinner. He was always on time and never a shortage on table service.Special Features:
- Food not hotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Went to Range for Restaurant week. My hanger steak arrived lukewarm at best, and when returned, a new plate arrived also lukewarm. To their credit, they took my meal off the bill, but I was disappointed. I love Volt and Family Meal, but won't return to Range. My friend had a great heirloom tomato salad, and my ice cream sandwich dessert was yummy, but the overall experience was not good.
- Excellent serviceFoodie415VIPDined on 8/16/2014Service is superior to most restaurants and the food did not disappoint. Great addition to the Friendship Heights neighborhood and well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best part was the bathroomTaraDined on 8/16/2014We visited for restaurant week. The caesar salad was made with kale which over powered all the other flavors and disappointed all that ordered. The steak dishes were spot on and the deserts were decent but again the coffee flavors over powered the rest of the dish. The host set us quickly and was very friendly. The waitress however had to be flagged down between courses and there was a long time between courses. It was a full night during restaurant week so i hope it was unusual. We were seated near the kitchen which normally would be neat but to compensate for the kitchen heat, it felt like we were in an ice box. Of our party, no one was particularly impressed by the food. It was ok faire. Most impressive were the dark, modern bathroomsSpecial Features:
- Could not have been betterfoodpilgrimDined on 8/16/2014We were celebrating. One of us had received a new job offer. Another had recovered from a dire medical situation. We hadn't seen each other in a long while, and we were ready for a good time. Range delivered in every way. We arrived when the restaurant was not very full. We were greeted warmly. The food was expertly prepared; the portions were just right, and the service was extraordinary. We left completely satisfied and happy, and to the good wishes of the front of the house. We went back to get some treats from the bakery, and later that evening were delighted by that as well. A beautiful evening.Special Features:
- Fun and delicious, but not perfectYumandyummierDined on 8/15/2014The bread basket and accompaniment's including bacon mamalade, drinks, green gazpacho, hanger steak and desserts were amazing. The salmon main and salmon tartare were only Ok, it was overdone. The service was a little spacey but very friendly so still get high marks and it was a very fun atmosphere. All in all a fun, interesting place for a special occasion with more delicious sounding things to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion RestaurantNatashaDined on 8/15/2014We went to this restaurant for my husband's birthday. They were accommodating for kids (we got a highchair) but there isn't a kids menu. It was restaurant week and I was disappointed at the selection presented. The regular menu doesn't seem to have more options. What we ordered as entree (lamb neck, hanger steak, pepperoni pizza) were delicious and elegantly presented. Very trendy restaurant in terms of decor and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks vs. TasteFirstimpressionVIPDined on 8/15/2014The presentation of the food was done perfectly, but the taste is less than anything above average.Special Features:
- JonBDined on 8/15/2014Food was good but the service was slow. We went there for lunch and it wasn't busy at all but it still took a long time to get our food and then get the check from our waiter as well. I would recommend this restaurant but be sure that you aren't in a hurry if you go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeeketwaswolleDined on 8/14/2014Met with a work colleague for a working lunch. It happened to be Restaurant Week in our area. The lunch portions were just right and wonderfully prepared - Range always has a slight twist in its preparation but never so much that one wonders what the chef was thinking.... The service was attentive while not being intrusive. Many hard surfaces so noise level can be a bit overwhelming. Great value. LOVE Range!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, mediocre food,very loudUrbanExplorerDined on 8/13/2014Range was disappointing in evey way. The noise level and ambience left a lot to be desired, we paid 16 dollars for an heirloom tomato salad (that showed up in the bill as $17) that had about five small bites, and none of the food was particularly tasty. I wanted to love it but I was disappointed all around. Save your money and go someplace else.