5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: 2028038020x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
401 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (233)special occasion (173)notable wine list (107)neighborhood gem (98)good for groups (83)hot spot (78)great for lunch (54)vibrant bar scene (48)romantic (48)great for brunch (33)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Farm to table.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Fresh ingredients, amazing food and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restuarant week experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/24/2014We went fro Sunday brunch during restaurant week - very quiet on an August Sunday. Food was very good and nicely served with the exception of a watermelon sorbet that was pale pink and tasteless. especially liked the hangar steak - fine saucing. Range is my go to place for meeting people who drive down the Bethesda corridor and of course need parking. ALso very convenient to Metro and Wisconsin Ave busess which I use since I live in Gtown. I have given the ambience a lower rating because I am not sure what I make of a view of a large shopping mall and hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Seemed understaffed. Not nearly the experience we had noneonths ago.
- MediumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014i must say i was bummed ... our first impression was an incredibly rude hostess. The food was good we had appetizers, main course and dessert (i had the carbonara which was really good, my husband had the scallops which were also quite good), the wine selection wonderful and our server was attentive but overall i was underwhelmed - there was nothing about the experience that made me feel i need to repeat it. Perhaps i was clouded by the rudeness we were greeted with on arrival, but if you are looking for the triple aim (food, service and atmosphere) i think you will do better elsewhere.
- Get The Bread Basket!BethesdaEmptyNesterVIPDined on 8/21/2014Four of us all liked our food, which included hanger steak, salmon, and the carbonara, but only the salmon was excellent. The bread basket was fantastic, especially the cornbread, and the desserts were to die for, especially the ice cream sandwiches. The service was uneven. When the bread basket came, large plates were put at each place. Before we could even help ourselves to the bread, our salads arrived, so there was much confusion about where the plates should go. Five minutes later our entrees arrived. We felt very rushed. Once we got the entrees, we could eat them at a leisurely pace, but once we ordered dessert, we waited an eternity to get it. One of us had dined here many times before and the service had always been excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive food and drinksKLuvDined on 8/20/2014Excited about the opportunity to try different foods (lamb neck curry). Inventive drinks that provided unexpected but delicious flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passing through townpaleojeanneDined on 8/19/2014The food was very good, despite the very noisy and stark ambiance. Service was excellent and friendly staff tried to make up for steely empty decorSpecial Features:
- 3 for dinnerRalphDined on 8/18/2014Overall, the food was good, but not exceptional. The beet salad appetizer was pretty standard. The hangar steak was served quite rare, not medium-rare, and the meat was actually too tender, to the point of falling aprt when cut, though the taste was fine without the thick sauces. The mushroom/goat cheese pizza was very good, though the crust was very chewy. The service was excellent. The restaurant got very noisy as it filled up.Special Features:
- Great service, inconsistent fooddcshrinkDined on 8/17/2014Our server, Remy, provided outstanding service - efficient, friendly, knowledgeable. Would hire her in a second. The food was hit or miss. Gazpacho and Murray's chicken were excellent, hanger steak was lackluster - burned but not crusted, stringy. The vegetables accompanying the steak were a mess of muddy flavors. The semifreddo dessert just didn't work while the ice cream sandwiches were very good without being special.Special Features:
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant was FREEZING. Multiple patrons near our table commented on the air temperature. It was hard to enjoy the food because the restaurant was too cold. Food was good, although incredibly small portions and was surprised that the bread was an additional charge. The service was poor. Plates were not cleared after we were done eating and our second course was brought out with a table full of dirty plates. The bread didn't even come until after our appetizer. Also the server did not explain anything on the menu. For a nice fine dining experience, usually the server discusses the menu and talks about any specials or the concept of the restaurant. We probably will not be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food & ServiceEAO27VIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was incredible, especially their Kale Caesar salad, YUM! Every dish showed creativity without being over the the top and was so good. Pork Belly was tasty too. Will definitely recommend and come back.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Went here for restaurant week. The food and drinks were great. The only thing is restaurant week the portions were small, the waitress let us know before hand that they were smaller size portions. I'm not sure how large the actual plates were. Overall the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekReneeDined on 8/17/2014Have been to Range on many occassions, never during Restaurant Week. We were not disappointed. NIce choices; I had the kale ceasar salad, delicious as always and the shellfish pasta for the entree. The shrimp in the pasta tasted as if it had been plucked from the ocean moments earlier. My husband had the gazpacho with crab - delish! The hangar steak was cooked just right and was wonderful for that cut of meat. The desserts were gianormous and delicious - ice cream sandwiches; quality ice cream encased in scrumptious cookies.Special Features:
- WorstmealofmylifeLovetoentertainDined on 8/17/2014Chairs extremely uncomfortable. Noisy, Service is excellent. Chief was arguing with matradee. Long between time when salad was serve before main course was served. Pizza to doughy not done! Actually terrible! Deserts were the highlight.
- Fun and DelishCindyDined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and service but can get noisy. View of atrium and embassy suites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AverageDisappointedDined on 8/17/2014I'd like to say that I was excited by this restaurant because I was looking forward to this new restaurant in the neighborhood, but it was just average. Certainly acceptable for restaurant week but I would not return at regular prices. Speaking from a wealth of experience in 3 star Michelin guide restaurants in Europe, it wouldn't even have made it to the bistrot level of food. Kale Cesar salad and the gazpatcho were the best but the Margarita pizza gave one of our group indigestion. The Hake sandwich was watery. I had to throw away the bun and eat the fish separately, but it was almost unseasoned, it was so tasteless.
- Good Food, Great ServicemarclexDined on 8/16/2014Food was good. Appetizers and desert seemed to be everyone's favorite. Service was outstanding. Our waiter had multiple suggestions ranging from drinks to dinner. He was always on time and never a shortage on table service.Special Features:
- Food not hotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Went to Range for Restaurant week. My hanger steak arrived lukewarm at best, and when returned, a new plate arrived also lukewarm. To their credit, they took my meal off the bill, but I was disappointed. I love Volt and Family Meal, but won't return to Range. My friend had a great heirloom tomato salad, and my ice cream sandwich dessert was yummy, but the overall experience was not good.
- Excellent serviceFoodie415VIPDined on 8/16/2014Service is superior to most restaurants and the food did not disappoint. Great addition to the Friendship Heights neighborhood and well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best part was the bathroomTaraDined on 8/16/2014We visited for restaurant week. The caesar salad was made with kale which over powered all the other flavors and disappointed all that ordered. The steak dishes were spot on and the deserts were decent but again the coffee flavors over powered the rest of the dish. The host set us quickly and was very friendly. The waitress however had to be flagged down between courses and there was a long time between courses. It was a full night during restaurant week so i hope it was unusual. We were seated near the kitchen which normally would be neat but to compensate for the kitchen heat, it felt like we were in an ice box. Of our party, no one was particularly impressed by the food. It was ok faire. Most impressive were the dark, modern bathroomsSpecial Features:
- Could not have been betterfoodpilgrimDined on 8/16/2014We were celebrating. One of us had received a new job offer. Another had recovered from a dire medical situation. We hadn't seen each other in a long while, and we were ready for a good time. Range delivered in every way. We arrived when the restaurant was not very full. We were greeted warmly. The food was expertly prepared; the portions were just right, and the service was extraordinary. We left completely satisfied and happy, and to the good wishes of the front of the house. We went back to get some treats from the bakery, and later that evening were delighted by that as well. A beautiful evening.Special Features:
- Fun and delicious, but not perfectYumandyummierDined on 8/15/2014The bread basket and accompaniment's including bacon mamalade, drinks, green gazpacho, hanger steak and desserts were amazing. The salmon main and salmon tartare were only Ok, it was overdone. The service was a little spacey but very friendly so still get high marks and it was a very fun atmosphere. All in all a fun, interesting place for a special occasion with more delicious sounding things to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion RestaurantNatashaDined on 8/15/2014We went to this restaurant for my husband's birthday. They were accommodating for kids (we got a highchair) but there isn't a kids menu. It was restaurant week and I was disappointed at the selection presented. The regular menu doesn't seem to have more options. What we ordered as entree (lamb neck, hanger steak, pepperoni pizza) were delicious and elegantly presented. Very trendy restaurant in terms of decor and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks vs. TasteFirstimpressionDined on 8/15/2014The presentation of the food was done perfectly, but the taste is less than anything above average.Special Features:
- JonBDined on 8/15/2014Food was good but the service was slow. We went there for lunch and it wasn't busy at all but it still took a long time to get our food and then get the check from our waiter as well. I would recommend this restaurant but be sure that you aren't in a hurry if you go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeeketwaswolleDined on 8/14/2014Met with a work colleague for a working lunch. It happened to be Restaurant Week in our area. The lunch portions were just right and wonderfully prepared - Range always has a slight twist in its preparation but never so much that one wonders what the chef was thinking.... The service was attentive while not being intrusive. Many hard surfaces so noise level can be a bit overwhelming. Great value. LOVE Range!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, mediocre food,very loudUrbanExplorerDined on 8/13/2014Range was disappointing in evey way. The noise level and ambience left a lot to be desired, we paid 16 dollars for an heirloom tomato salad (that showed up in the bill as $17) that had about five small bites, and none of the food was particularly tasty. I wanted to love it but I was disappointed all around. Save your money and go someplace else.
- Elegant and invitingCranberriesVIPDined on 8/13/2014Very impressive and a welcome addition to the neighborhood -- we were celebrating and wanted something more upscale than the Cheesecake Factory or Maggiano's. Range was a great choice. We really enjoyed the cornbread with bacon marmalade and the heirloom tomatoes. The salmon and the pizza were both excellent as well. The prix fixe was a good value. And the wait staff and maitre'd were friendly but very professional. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014We were seated without menus and it took two requests to get one. the restaurant was not crowded but the service was lackluster at best. Had been looking forward to going there for the first time but have no interest in going back
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Our server was absolutely FANTASTIC!! The hostess was also very accommodating as our party grew at the last minute. The Kale Caesar Salad is not be missed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and good pacegratifoodDined on 8/12/2014We had an unrushed meal with excellent food. The noise was somewhat attenuated by the long swath of space the restaurant occupies. Good cocktails. Everyone, as far as I could see from what the servers were transporting, ordered the ice cream sandwiches. We couldn't resist them either.Special Features:
- Great space, pretty good foodJeffcVIPDined on 8/12/2014We were rather underwhelmed with the food, apart from fabulous ice cream sandwiches. Salmon was good, but ordinary. Hangar steak was the proper temp, but the sauces around it were bland. Beets were tasty but surrounded by tasteless cheese crumbles. But great service and a funky view of the light show in the hotel/mall atrium were fun. Would we drive 15 minutes again from Georgetown when we can get just as good from our own Daily Grill at a much lower price? Probably not.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTableDinerDined on 8/12/2014This was our 5th visit to Range. While our 1st meal there shortly after its opening in 2012 was incredible, the quality of service from the servers has been increasingly disappointing every time we visit (bussers and bartenders remain fantastic). This visit was particularly disappointing because our server disappeared after we gave her our drink and food orders. The restaurant was not crowded (on a Tuesday). Throughout the 3 course meal, we waited ~20 minutes for each course to come out (no update from the kitchen), and the only time she checked with us about our food was during the first course. The food was great, but part of the premium of this restaurant is the (expected) impeccable service, and our experience was far from that.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We had an excellent time at Range! Not only was the food delicious, the staff at Range was truly delightful. We had a wonderful conversation with both the Assistant Manager and Sommelier, and our server Remy didn't miss a beat. If your a wine lover - do not miss this list! I would definitely recommend this to our friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- Wonderful Fare and ServiceWilhoffDined on 8/11/2014We made our maiden voyage to Range for our 40th Anniversary dinner. It was a fantastic choice. The menu offers good, but not overwhelming variety, both a la carte and in a prix fixe menu. Every dish was special, and was well explained by our server. The wine list, and server's suggestions, were great, and the dessert/after dinner liqueurs menu terrific. We'd go again in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- See and be seenKathiebrDined on 8/11/2014Nice restaurant - young and trendy diners. Outstanding service and great food.Special Features:
- Terrible experienceYogiJamesDined on 8/11/2014I made reservations on recommendations from a good friend. I was so excited to dine here. My experience was less than stellar. We sat down at our table and waited 20 mins for a server to acknowledge we were there. Then it took another 20 mins for our drinks to arrive. We had to track down our server to order food. We asked to speak to a manager after our dessert was brought out when we were finishing up our appetizers. The manager came and had a horrible attitude and acted like we were an annoyance. She neglected to address our concerns, and didn't even come back to our table to check on us to see if our experience improved. Don't expect great service - You can probably get better service at McDonalds! The food was great!
- Costly for being in a mallCookbackDined on 8/11/2014Strange place for a restaurant that costs this much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Range at Chevy Chase PavillionDrewShawDined on 8/11/2014I ate at Range for lunch as part of the Washington Restaurant Week promotion and, although the Restaurant Week offering was pretty limited (just three entree options), was well-satisfied with the meal. Particularly the French fries which literally reminded me of those my mother used to make … and Mom was pretty picky about French fries. I also found the waitstaff to be friendly and attentive and not at all vacuous and cursory as has been cited on some other review boards. I'd go back again but probably for lunch; dinner is still a pricey proposition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried itVAnativeDined on 8/11/2014Three friends met for lunch during Restaurant Week and we all ordered from the special menu. All of us enjoyed our meals and found them to be unique, well presented, and tasty. When there, noise levels were not an issue as Restaurant was not very busy, perhaps too early. Service excellent. The only comment from one was they thought there should have been bread to eat but we had read that there was a separate charge for a bread basket so we opted not to order, just something different for us. Portions were ok - not too much, could have possibly had a little more of hanging tender but plenty of frites to make up. Homemade ice cream sandwiches were great. Overall, god experience. Not sure his often we will go back due to parking costs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.