5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: 2028038020x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
355 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (222)special occasion (139)notable wine list (87)good for groups (80)neighborhood gem (77)hot spot (74)great for lunch (47)romantic (45)vibrant bar scene (37)great for brunch (29)late-night find (13)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Get your act together!XXXXDined on 10/18/2014What a disaster. The food was pretty good but weird (pig face?). The service was very slow. They mishandled our reservation. We had to wait half an hour to get a table! It took forever for us to put in our order. And then the food came out chaotically -- entrees before appetizers, some hot food cold. Even the salt and pepper shakers (which we had to beg for) did not work. Oh, and the women's rest room was shut down. The place was clearly overwhelmed. Our waiter kept apologizing. He eventually brought us some chocolates to make us feel better. We spent three hours at the table and couldn't wait to get out. Then it took the valet service half an hour to get our car -- and we were the only people waiting! This place is a mess.Special Features:
- a reasonable dining experiencepoaclaDined on 10/15/2014On the second floor of an unpersonable shopping mall in a posh DC/Maryland district. Food was good overall. Warm oysters with BBQ sauce for starters, nice and spicy but the taste of the oysters was gone. Very good main course : seared scallops with pork cheeks, an interesting match. No need for that foamy (no longer trendy) sauce though. Good wine list. A rich fruity californian pinot noir from Russian River, with long, pleasurable spicy notes but a marked acetic (certainly not ascetic) aroma. What you get when you want to concentrate pinot, but a good wine overall. Service was average : asking for bread did not seem to stir much attention. The sommelier was very attentive. Ambiance could have been icy, but ended up fairly noisy.Special Features:
- Mixed bagAnonymousDined on 10/14/2014Two dishes: outstanding. Two others: nothing special. Service: Enthusiastic but inattentive, with food/drink arriving out-of-order. Irritating: very few wines poured by the glass, not everything on the list was even available, and no substitution was offered for those unavailable.
- good intersting foodgwenDined on 10/14/2014Loves the unique combinations within each plate and the presentations. I am honored to eat a wonderful dinner at a high end restaurant for a reasonable price especailly since my boyfriend is a chef there and we got a discount so i was happy. It was kinda empty when we went so it was knda awk but at the same time nice.Special Features:
- Menu change not idealOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/12/2014This trip to range was our first since the menu change and maybe wince change of chef de cuisine and we could tell difference. The kale Cesear salad was not as good-overall very bitter. I missed the crab meat appetizer and I always have thought the desserts were over done-the apple crisp was not good at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014Uncrowded @ 11:30. But service was slow, food lukewarm. If you seve hash in a skillet, and the skillet is not hot to touch, how long did it sit in kitchen. Off my brunch list, for sure.
- supurbRyanSchwamDined on 10/11/2014Had an amazing dinner at Range on 10/10. From the charcuterie to the bone marrow, the apps were all plentiful and prepared perfectly. Had the barrel steak for my entree and was not disappointed to say the least. The ice cream sanwhiches for dessert were amazing as well. Home made mint ice cream to die for. The service was incredible as well. Very knowledgeable staff that made excellent recommendations for pairings. We were all blown away and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousColVillageDinerDined on 10/11/2014The menu at Range continues to surprise and delight me. On this visit, I found a number of truly unusual menu items and/or creative flavor combinations that were absolutely delicious. I was disappointed to find that the fried Brussels sprouts with bacon were not on the menu (the first Brussels sprouts that I ever liked), but found that I liked the sprouts flavored with fish sauce even more! My table-mates and I also enjoyed some great cocktails, pasta carbonara, pork bellies that were as tasty as candy, and a hangar steak that could not have been more flavorful. And don't skip dessert - $3 for just the right amount of salted caramel ice cream was a great way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for ImprovementPhilDined on 10/9/2014The food was very good (and reasonably priced), though my appetizer (ample and quite tasty) was better than my main course. The portions of "sides" that accompany the main course were very small, and seemed to appear on my plate as an afterthought. The food (both the appetizer but especially the main course) took an unusually long time to appear. The waitress was very informative and had a terrific personality, and the wine steward was extremely knowledgeable about the numerous selections (too many of which were extremely high priced, given the food selection) offered on the wine menu. Seating is cramped and the close proximity of other patrons makes it difficult to converse in a confidential manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible food; even worse serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/5/2014We had been at Range once before for pizza and loved it. We went back for brunch and will never return. The worst was the service. 4 people got 2 coffees. 5 minutes later another coffee and a tea arrived. The wrong tea without the honey and lemon ordered. No effort to refill the coffee. Increidbly slow food delivery. Three omelets which were close to inedible. Brussels sprouts that were made the way my granddaughter would probably make them with no effort at quality. Loud music so you could not talk although it was Sunday brunch. All in all, a ZERO star experience.
- An excellent experience overallMarina17Dined on 10/4/2014Perfect for our group if 6! Food, service and atmosphere were top notch! They honored our request for a table in which we could hear each other, and we were seated in the wine room. We felt like VIPs! Well done and thank you Range!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RANGE has slippedNabeDiner2014Dined on 10/4/2014The original small plate menu was innovative and tasty; the new menu overreaches -- it's trendy and limited -- and overpriced given the options and ambiance. The wine list is very long and pretentious for the very casual atmosphere. The front desk was chaotic and they were confused, even though we had a reservation. On a positive note, our server was attentive. The restaurant seems mostly to be catering to the transient hotel clientele from next door these days; guess that works to keep it busy. All things considered, no need to knock yourself out to put Range on your bucket list.
- KAT57Dined on 10/3/2014Great food, creative choices, reservations necessary, loud ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LackingRileyVIPDined on 10/3/2014I've dined at many of the area's great restaurants; this was not one of them. While the BBQ Oyster appetizer was tasty, the main courses were lacking. The fist-sized serving of buccatini was just fine, but I ate it tepid after my wife's entree was delivered late -- and then they delivered the wrong order for her, but vanished before we could speak up and get the correct order. Being a fan of Volt, I expected much better, and the "fair" rating may be too generous. There are many great dining choices in the DC area, in all price ranges. Range, unfortunately, does not make the grade. Never again.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!sjeanDined on 10/3/2014Great service, and wonderful food. Hanger steak wonderful, scallops great, but too few. Bream, should be taken off menu, and a better fish choice added.Special Features:
- Thursday night unpleasantnessEARCDined on 10/2/2014I took my foodie son from Charleston, SC to dinner on Thursday night. The restaurant was half full. Our drinks were slow to arrive and first course, slower. We waited 47 minutes or longer for the entre to arrive. Several officials stopped to apologize and offered us two drinks on the house. Should we have walked out? Probably, Left a terrible taste in our mouths. Inexcusable!Special Features:
- Great foodMin1Dined on 10/2/2014I was very happy to have been seated in the back far from the bar, which I believe was good judgement by the hostess. In terms of the food, we're still raving about the bacon marmalade. Wish that was bottled and sold. I had the hangar steak and loved both the steak and the accompanying grits. The only disappointment was the apple crumble, which while delicious was served tepid. I commented to the waiter that if that's the temperature it was supposed to have been served, it should have been described as such on the menu. Our waiter acknowledged the temperature should have been hot, and comped us the desserts which we appreciated. All said, a fantastic meal. Waiter also advised Ashburn restaurant forthcoming. Most excited!!Special Features:
- Excellent food-againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/30/2014The menu is always different as the chef goes with what's seasonal and fresh, but every single dish I've had there has been excellent.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!!SMI2VIPDined on 9/28/2014Had a late lunch/early dinner at Range. It was spectacular. We tired an array of dishes from several cheeses and meats to 3 entrees each being better than the last. The lamb's neck was a dish blew my mind it was so tender and unlike anything I've ever had before. The scallops were spectacular (LOVED) and the pork belly - melt in your mouth! The best I've ever had! The cocktails we inventive and delicious. One of the best meals I've ever had. I'll be back. For those of you taking off stars for not having your parking validated and not liking the mirror in the bathroom - shame on you. If you don't like where you are seated - ask for a different table, if you don't want to pay for parking - park on the street! not that hard people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good.DelishInDCDined on 9/27/2014The restaurant was well laid out, the cheese and meat plates were incredible, but there was one minor slip up that really soured my experience. My sister is allergic to fish. Not hives allergic, anaphylaxis allergic. That being said, she asked if there was an form of fish in one of the pates and the waiter who delivered the food (not our normal waitress) never came back with an answer. It doesn't matter how nice a restaurant is, or how kind the staff, or how good the food...this is unacceptable. That being said, this would have been a four-star review otherwise as the wine was incredible, the food delicious, and our waitress was personable. Too bad...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Awesome food!! Great atmosphere, couldn't ask for better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDCResidentVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great experience and thoughtful menu, the desserts, especially the pastries made in house, are worth saving room to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/25/2014We were a bit disappointed as we all (6) had eaten at Range a year or so ago. The service was very spotty. Hard to get our waiters attention. The wait between courses was very slow. The restaurant was not busy so not sure why the delay in service. The kale caesar salad was delicious as were the brussels sprouts. The pizza was dry and not very tasty. We were unable to slice it successfully. We all felt something was lacking in our dining experience. They also do not pay for parking in the Mall. Parking is $10 in the garage. The only other dining spot in the mall does cover parking.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014Very good dining experience. Voltaggio is really making a name for himself, and it's been good to see how he's developed with the opening of new restaurants. Good ambiance, ESP for groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced overhypedMamaindekitchenDined on 9/23/2014Very mediocre food. Tastiest part of the bland salmon dish was the capers. $14 for a tiny bowl of totally plain pasta for a child, and $28 for an off menu Bolognaise described as 'tastes like your lipstick'. Cheery server was the only saving grace (and making off menu item, but then foodie kids finding nothing on the menu was a first). However, other staff were grumpy, and even finding the table seemed hard for our guide! Been once out of curiosity, but will never return.
- Weird locationKikiDined on 9/21/2014We dined early Sunday evening, so noise was not an issue because the restaurant was about 25 percent full. The food was excellent. The decor was very nice. However, sitting next to the floor to ceiling windows, looking down upon the roof to Starbucks and at 20 people staring into their cellphones ruined the evening. After looking around the restaurant, we might try going back to the Aggio portion for a special occasion.
- Range DisappointmentPickyDeserterDined on 9/21/2014This was our 4th time at this restaurant and sadly we are unlikely to ever go back. We've been to several group events here where the food was plentiful, elegant, and the service delightful. However this evening when we were only 4 people dining, 2 of the 4 entrees were completely Inedible! The pizza was undercooked, top heavy with too many ingredients and the bucatini carbonara was a gloppy, tasteless mess. The kale ceaser was good as was the corn side, but all in all, not worth the ridiculously inflated Chevy Chase pricing, even though they didn't charge us for the undercooked pizza.Special Features:
- Sorry that it was the brunch menuFammanDined on 9/21/2014We went way out of our way on our long weekend in DC to experience a Bryan Voltaggio restaurant. I did a lot of rooting for him during his Top Chef seasons and was looking forward to the chance to taste his food. I checked out the lunch menu and was looking forward to the bread basket, potatoes and brussel sprouts. From the website, I didn't realize that it was brunch on Sunday. Only the bread was on the menu, which was great Our entree choices were not worth the 2 hour RT with a limited subway schedule to have brunch. I wish we had saved a lot of money and stayed in DC or gone to Lunch Box instead. I chose the restaurant, because reviews said the lines were long at Lunch Box, but there was no line on the weekend.
- Late night at rangemdfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is my second visit to Range. The food does not disappoint -- all quite delicious and interesting, thought some more that others. BBQ oysters were very tasty, as was the heirloom tomato, watermelon and foam salad. The pizza was good, not phenomenal and I would say the same for the roasted peppers. Both could benefit from more cheese and some cheese respectively. Our drinks and wine were very good. As with my first visit, I was impressed with the quality of the food and the attention to detail. At the end, again I was surprised by how much some late night snacks ended up costing.Special Features:
- Great Night with the WifeWashClarksVIPDined on 9/20/2014All too often we get caught up in all the demands of life. Tonight, I made the effort to reconnect with my beautiful wife and thank her for all her support and thoughtful effort make to ensure that our hectic households run well. Range was a perfect place to do this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Anniversary DinnerMonikaDined on 9/17/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at Range the other night, and we were really blown away by the level of service. Our server Nick, was fantastic - personable, attentive, helpful, funny. The food was just as outstanding - order the scallops! Wow! From our cocktails to the snippet of a Shakespeare sonnet written in chocolate on our gratis plate of dessert, our expectations were exceeded. Bravo!Special Features:
- goodplaceDined on 9/15/2014great food and fast service. love this place. it has a lot of variety from appetizer to entree to dessert. Also has a long list of drinks as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 9/14/2014Range has matured over these past 18 months. Bryan Voltaggio's approach has evolved, resulting in a more sophisticated, smoother dining experience than when the restaurant first opened. The food is excellent...inventive, well prepared, with great flavor, texture and composition. The service is first rate. The addition of the separate Italian-inspired fine dining Aggio inside Range's space could easily have been a distraction, but it's actually improved the ambiance and added to the look, feel and environment of the restaurant. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The very best of Bethesda-Chevy Chase! A totally unexpected surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to like it more...MelinnycDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Range twice, and each time I've left unimpressed. It has such potential, but the food is just not as good as it should be for the prices and the chef. (In fact, I've left both times with a bit of a stomach ache.) The cocktails were fantastic though!
- ellencVIPDined on 9/12/2014I was looking forward to going to Range, we hadn't been there in a while. I was definitely disappointed. It was very cold inside the restaurant, uncomfortably so. It was very loud-hard to talk to the friends who we were meeting. We had to keep leaning across the table to hear each other. The food was mediocre. I ordered a main course and I did not care for the vegetable that was listed as the included side dish-I asked if I could just have some greens with my fish, the plate came with just the fish. I guess the chef was unwilling to make any kind of a substitute. The service was also way too fast! As they were removing our appetizer plates, they were putting down our main courses-no time in between. We may not try again~Special Features:
- Jumped the SharkLouLou50VIPDined on 9/12/2014I came here for my birthday with my family and having been two years ago was expecting the same. Boy was I wrong, the service was terrible, it took 25 minutes to get a drink. The menu has not changed much since they opened and the food was mediocre. With so many good places to go in DC, this one is now off my list. I think Bryan V needs to pay some attention, it is turning into a basic mall restaurant.
- Great EverytimeStElmosINSCVIPDined on 9/10/2014We went all out on this visit trying almost everything on the menu. The lam neck was a surprise- juicy and big portion. Went we'll with the wine the sommelier suggested. Wow! Start at the bar for some creative drinks! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bar, Great FoodBobLDined on 9/6/2014The bar itself is worth attending with the special cocktails and full menu. Small portions, easily shared, but an entree, appetizer, and desert was enough for all. Not an inexpensive place but well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynneDined on 9/5/2014Wanted to try this Voltaggio hot spot; seating makes it a challenge to hear your dining companions--the tables are pretty wide with double seat banquettes instead of chairs. The place when full is very noisy. The food is very good when you get it.... The service from the kitchen the evening we were there was very slow incluiding the tables around us, but the staff/mgr were very responsive to addressing the delay with extra drinks and dessert at no charge for our table of 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.