5335 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.voltrange.com/
- Phone: 2028038020x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday | 11:30 AM – 10:30 PM
Friday – Saturday | 11:30 AM – 11:00 PM
Lunch and Dinner Daily, Brunch on Weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: RANGE can play host to corporate events, private parties, and social celebrations. Please contact our events coordinator to discuss special event options and menu development. Please call (202) 803-8016.
- Cross Street: Military Road, NW
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro Friendship Heights station is located on the Metro Level floor of Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: RANGE patrons may park in the adjacent Chevy Chase Pavilion garage operated by MarcParc, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Guests are invited to self-park in the garage at the current hourly rate. Validation is not offered.
Valet parking is provided by Chevy Chase Pavilion and is located on Military Road, NW. The cost of valet per car is $12.
A word from Range
RANGE by Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers modern interpretations using seasonal ingredients from the Mid-Atlantic region prepared through classic and progressive techniques. From salumeria, bakery, and raw bar, to the rotisserie and wood fired hearth, each of the state-of-the-art open kitchens showcases the craftsmanship of the chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Range reviews from OpenTable diners
411 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (242)special occasion (173)notable wine list (108)neighborhood gem (98)good for groups (87)hot spot (81)vibrant bar scene (55)great for lunch (53)romantic (48)great for brunch (36)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant was FREEZING. Multiple patrons near our table commented on the air temperature. It was hard to enjoy the food because the restaurant was too cold. Food was good, although incredibly small portions and was surprised that the bread was an additional charge. The service was poor. Plates were not cleared after we were done eating and our second course was brought out with a table full of dirty plates. The bread didn't even come until after our appetizer. Also the server did not explain anything on the menu. For a nice fine dining experience, usually the server discusses the menu and talks about any specials or the concept of the restaurant. We probably will not be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food & ServiceEAO27VIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was incredible, especially their Kale Caesar salad, YUM! Every dish showed creativity without being over the the top and was so good. Pork Belly was tasty too. Will definitely recommend and come back.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Went here for restaurant week. The food and drinks were great. The only thing is restaurant week the portions were small, the waitress let us know before hand that they were smaller size portions. I'm not sure how large the actual plates were. Overall the food was excellent.Special Features:
- WorstmealofmylifeLovetoentertainDined on 8/17/2014Chairs extremely uncomfortable. Noisy, Service is excellent. Chief was arguing with matradee. Long between time when salad was serve before main course was served. Pizza to doughy not done! Actually terrible! Deserts were the highlight.
- Fun and DelishCindyDined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and service but can get noisy. View of atrium and embassy suites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not hotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Went to Range for Restaurant week. My hanger steak arrived lukewarm at best, and when returned, a new plate arrived also lukewarm. To their credit, they took my meal off the bill, but I was disappointed. I love Volt and Family Meal, but won't return to Range. My friend had a great heirloom tomato salad, and my ice cream sandwich dessert was yummy, but the overall experience was not good.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014Service is superior to most restaurants and the food did not disappoint. Great addition to the Friendship Heights neighborhood and well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best part was the bathroomTaraDined on 8/16/2014We visited for restaurant week. The caesar salad was made with kale which over powered all the other flavors and disappointed all that ordered. The steak dishes were spot on and the deserts were decent but again the coffee flavors over powered the rest of the dish. The host set us quickly and was very friendly. The waitress however had to be flagged down between courses and there was a long time between courses. It was a full night during restaurant week so i hope it was unusual. We were seated near the kitchen which normally would be neat but to compensate for the kitchen heat, it felt like we were in an ice box. Of our party, no one was particularly impressed by the food. It was ok faire. Most impressive were the dark, modern bathroomsSpecial Features:
- Could not have been betterfoodpilgrimDined on 8/16/2014We were celebrating. One of us had received a new job offer. Another had recovered from a dire medical situation. We hadn't seen each other in a long while, and we were ready for a good time. Range delivered in every way. We arrived when the restaurant was not very full. We were greeted warmly. The food was expertly prepared; the portions were just right, and the service was extraordinary. We left completely satisfied and happy, and to the good wishes of the front of the house. We went back to get some treats from the bakery, and later that evening were delighted by that as well. A beautiful evening.Special Features:
- Fun and delicious, but not perfectYumandyummierDined on 8/15/2014The bread basket and accompaniment's including bacon mamalade, drinks, green gazpacho, hanger steak and desserts were amazing. The salmon main and salmon tartare were only Ok, it was overdone. The service was a little spacey but very friendly so still get high marks and it was a very fun atmosphere. All in all a fun, interesting place for a special occasion with more delicious sounding things to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks vs. TasteFirstimpressionDined on 8/15/2014The presentation of the food was done perfectly, but the taste is less than anything above average.Special Features:
- JonBDined on 8/15/2014Food was good but the service was slow. We went there for lunch and it wasn't busy at all but it still took a long time to get our food and then get the check from our waiter as well. I would recommend this restaurant but be sure that you aren't in a hurry if you go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeeketwaswolleDined on 8/14/2014Met with a work colleague for a working lunch. It happened to be Restaurant Week in our area. The lunch portions were just right and wonderfully prepared - Range always has a slight twist in its preparation but never so much that one wonders what the chef was thinking.... The service was attentive while not being intrusive. Many hard surfaces so noise level can be a bit overwhelming. Great value. LOVE Range!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, mediocre food,very loudUrbanExplorerDined on 8/13/2014Range was disappointing in evey way. The noise level and ambience left a lot to be desired, we paid 16 dollars for an heirloom tomato salad (that showed up in the bill as $17) that had about five small bites, and none of the food was particularly tasty. I wanted to love it but I was disappointed all around. Save your money and go someplace else.
- Elegant and invitingCranberriesVIPDined on 8/13/2014Very impressive and a welcome addition to the neighborhood -- we were celebrating and wanted something more upscale than the Cheesecake Factory or Maggiano's. Range was a great choice. We really enjoyed the cornbread with bacon marmalade and the heirloom tomatoes. The salmon and the pizza were both excellent as well. The prix fixe was a good value. And the wait staff and maitre'd were friendly but very professional. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Our server was absolutely FANTASTIC!! The hostess was also very accommodating as our party grew at the last minute. The Kale Caesar Salad is not be missed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and good pacegratifoodDined on 8/12/2014We had an unrushed meal with excellent food. The noise was somewhat attenuated by the long swath of space the restaurant occupies. Good cocktails. Everyone, as far as I could see from what the servers were transporting, ordered the ice cream sandwiches. We couldn't resist them either.Special Features:
- Great space, pretty good foodJeffcVIPDined on 8/12/2014We were rather underwhelmed with the food, apart from fabulous ice cream sandwiches. Salmon was good, but ordinary. Hangar steak was the proper temp, but the sauces around it were bland. Beets were tasty but surrounded by tasteless cheese crumbles. But great service and a funky view of the light show in the hotel/mall atrium were fun. Would we drive 15 minutes again from Georgetown when we can get just as good from our own Daily Grill at a much lower price? Probably not.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTableDinerDined on 8/12/2014This was our 5th visit to Range. While our 1st meal there shortly after its opening in 2012 was incredible, the quality of service from the servers has been increasingly disappointing every time we visit (bussers and bartenders remain fantastic). This visit was particularly disappointing because our server disappeared after we gave her our drink and food orders. The restaurant was not crowded (on a Tuesday). Throughout the 3 course meal, we waited ~20 minutes for each course to come out (no update from the kitchen), and the only time she checked with us about our food was during the first course. The food was great, but part of the premium of this restaurant is the (expected) impeccable service, and our experience was far from that.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We had an excellent time at Range! Not only was the food delicious, the staff at Range was truly delightful. We had a wonderful conversation with both the Assistant Manager and Sommelier, and our server Remy didn't miss a beat. If your a wine lover - do not miss this list! I would definitely recommend this to our friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- See and be seenKathiebrDined on 8/11/2014Nice restaurant - young and trendy diners. Outstanding service and great food.Special Features:
- Terrible experienceYogiJamesDined on 8/11/2014I made reservations on recommendations from a good friend. I was so excited to dine here. My experience was less than stellar. We sat down at our table and waited 20 mins for a server to acknowledge we were there. Then it took another 20 mins for our drinks to arrive. We had to track down our server to order food. We asked to speak to a manager after our dessert was brought out when we were finishing up our appetizers. The manager came and had a horrible attitude and acted like we were an annoyance. She neglected to address our concerns, and didn't even come back to our table to check on us to see if our experience improved. Don't expect great service - You can probably get better service at McDonalds! The food was great!
- Costly for being in a mallCookbackDined on 8/11/2014Strange place for a restaurant that costs this much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Range at Chevy Chase PavillionDrewShawDined on 8/11/2014I ate at Range for lunch as part of the Washington Restaurant Week promotion and, although the Restaurant Week offering was pretty limited (just three entree options), was well-satisfied with the meal. Particularly the French fries which literally reminded me of those my mother used to make … and Mom was pretty picky about French fries. I also found the waitstaff to be friendly and attentive and not at all vacuous and cursory as has been cited on some other review boards. I'd go back again but probably for lunch; dinner is still a pricey proposition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried itVAnativeDined on 8/11/2014Three friends met for lunch during Restaurant Week and we all ordered from the special menu. All of us enjoyed our meals and found them to be unique, well presented, and tasty. When there, noise levels were not an issue as Restaurant was not very busy, perhaps too early. Service excellent. The only comment from one was they thought there should have been bread to eat but we had read that there was a separate charge for a bread basket so we opted not to order, just something different for us. Portions were ok - not too much, could have possibly had a little more of hanging tender but plenty of frites to make up. Homemade ice cream sandwiches were great. Overall, god experience. Not sure his often we will go back due to parking costs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodBrianaDined on 8/10/2014This is our second time at Range, first was brunch, which was interesting. Dinner was fantastic. This is not an inexpensive place, but the cocktail menu was outstanding and creative, wine list was stellar and menu was varied and perfectly executed. We had four picky eaters and all found something they thoroughly enjoyed. Staple items, like flatbreads and ravioli, all the way to pork rinds.....very eclectic and all perfectly executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Each time I go to Range I find new things that jump out at me. This time I went for brunch. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of brunch, but Range has converted me. The Crab Waffle Benedict won me over. Lumps of crab meat surrounding two poached eggs on top of fresh made waffles and hollandaise. Rich, sweet, savory...I was sucked in. The french toast was also amazing. Crispy crunchy exterior with what seemed to be cream cheese, blueberry and orange zest filling. Orange segments and a buttery-citrus foam. The service was spot on and highly proficient, my friend and I never lacked for anything. The place was kinda empty for a Sunday brunch, but given the environment, the food and the service I can't figure out why.Special Features:
- great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014My sister and i had a great pre-movie dinner. the reception people were friendly, excellent, and our Waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, funny and considerate. Our special needs were taken care of; the food was excellent, not too fussy. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion control.MinuitDined on 8/8/2014The food was very good , but the portion is a little too little for the price. The menu was too concise, not much choice.Special Features:
- Really, Really GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Thoroughly enjoyed entire experience, from awesome food to very good service. Ham tasting is delicious. Lamb neck special was awesome. All food came out hot, delicious and quickly. We were a party of 4 and ordered as much as we could eat. Definitely will be back. Chocolates & confections very tasty late night snack :) I Don't get the negative reviews, I am an extreme food snob, and I loved it all. DeliciousSpecial Features:
- very good, but some flawssteveindcDined on 8/2/2014The food was excellent, but the portions were annoyingly small. We each had a main course, an appetizer, and dessert, but still left not quite satisfied. In addition, it was frustrating that on the menu on their website at that time, it lists 4 different cuts of steak available; on the menu given to us in the restaurant, there was only one steak option, but they were out of it, and did not bother to inform us that til I tried to order it - they should update their online menu. In general, the service was extremely poor, it took effort and several minutes to get our server's attention each time we needed anything. Despite all of that, the food we had (beet salad, fried oysters, lamb chops, scallops) was all delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disapointed - Will not returnJeanneDined on 8/2/2014Amateur service! Had to ask about specials of the evening. Waiter was snapping his fingers over and over trying to remember all two of them. One appetizer served and five minutes later the other three arrived ice cold. Plate clearing unbelievable - picked up my plate - reached across me to stack my plate on top of my guest plate to pick up both at one time with his elbow in my face. I was shocked at how poorly trained the staff was. Food totally under salted. Used to be my favorite place to go.
- so disappointingjudalineDined on 8/2/2014I had been there a couple of times before and been unimpressed, but hoped it would be better on a Saturday night with two couples. No such luck. The food was pretty good, not great. Although the waiter said all the meats were cooked sous vide, that was hard to believe given how tough the hanger steak (one of the evening's specials) was. Mostly, though, the service was abysmal. it took forever for the waiter to reach us, both to take our orders and then to deliver them. Dishes were disappointing because they were cold. They even "ran out of spoons" by about 9 pm on a Saturday, and gave the coffee drinkers plastic stir sticks instead, but even these were only available on request!! Voltaggio must be spread too thin.
- Just okHollyvikesDined on 8/2/2014I was very excited to eat at the Range but definitely disappointed when I got there. It's in a mall and not very impressive decor or atmosphere. Service and food was good but rather pricy for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & wine list...poorly runEatGoodStuffVIPDined on 7/31/2014Premium places/prices dictate premium service. Irritating to get the menu, get excited about your selections and being told the option is sold out. Tell customers before they read through the menu and get excited about something they are not going to be able to order. How do you run out of chicken & mojitos? When the restaurant calls me a day ahead of time to confirm my reservation, I should have confirmed the restaurant would have the menu options. Wine list was terrific; sommelier was pleasant and engaging. Food was very good. Highlights: the Gazpacho, the lamb neck (outstanding), and funny enough the pork rinds. Restaurant was short staffed too - service was slow. For the $$, service needs to be top notch and selections available.Special Features:
- KatherineVIPDined on 7/31/2014The service was pretty bad, but they were apologetic about it. They forgot one entree and were generally scatterbrained but when they realized their mistake the staff was very apologetic. Food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014I have been to Range for dinner before, which is always excellent. This was our first time for lunch, and it was definitely just as good. The service was still great, friendly and helpful staff. The lunch entrees were very good, I had the lamb burger and my husband had the pepperoni angus burger. We would both recommend them. It was a nice relaxing and yet still fun foodie lunch. We always have good experiences at all of the Voltaggio restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFinediningvetDined on 7/28/2014Fried oysters were Lima bean size wads of cornmeal. VERY scant evidence of an actual oyster being inside. Cornbread app was very good. Halibut ordinary, nothing special. Friends liked the pasta and pork dishes better, but didn't draw any raves. Drinks were fine. Service good. Chef reluctantly accommodating. Money better spent elsewhere in my opinion. Overrated.Special Features:
- Snooty Staff, Overpriced FoodDCDinerDined on 7/28/2014Maitre d' and hostesses were rude, which was INCREDIBLY off-putting, and although it's a high-end restaurant, the food was overpriced for what it was, and there weren't many options. The dessert menu was more extensive. Overall they seem more concerned with appearances than the food or customers. The place mats were also sloppy and seemed like a child had unevenly cut them out of a larger sheet of the material. I'd expect better based on the snootiness of the staff the price of the meal.
- What a range!Foodlover61VIPDined on 7/28/2014I stumbled on this restaurant quite unexpectantly. What a find! It was a business lunch and my colleagues enjoyed the food every bit as much as I did. Unusual choices in salads yielded very tasty results. And, I highly recommend the oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.