188 West Randolph
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.randolphtavern.com/
- Phone: 3126833280
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Will Pagulayan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Randolph Tavern
Downtown's HOTTEST new restaurant and bar!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Randolph Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (38)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (26)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- EhOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Cheese platter was terrible (should have never ordered a cheese platter at a place like that anyways). Drinks took forever to come. For dinner we had the lobster roll and the pulled pork. Both we're not very good and didn't up even eating them. Don't go here for dinner, maybe a happy hour.Special Features:
- Glad to have more Loop optionsfrp0511VIPDined on 9/18/2014Good tasting food, decent value. A bit expensive for lunch, but they do have tater totsSpecial Features:
- Nice addition to the loopfrp0511VIPDined on 9/12/2014Thanks for coming Randolph Tavern -- I hope you stick around. It's a nice 'in the Loop" spot, and I'm glad another bar is available. The best thing is that there is so much space in this massive place! Good bar service, not great (my original bartender was not very good...but Alex made up for it with her sense of humor and just generally being nice overall).Special Features:
- Busy Loop BarOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014I was expecting less of a bar feel and more of a restaurant based on the prices, but it was not what I expected. I was a little disappointed to be seated at a tall top, would have prefered a regular table, but I didn't mention that to the hostess, so that's my own fault. The food was good, but the menu was a little overwhelming. They had a little of everything and it wasn't focused. The "vegetarian chili" was not chili at all, but more like minestrone, which I liked but it was not the chili I was expecting. Steak tacos needed some seasoning. The grits and the fried pickles were delicious! No need to change either of those.
- Too loud, even at lunchVinoroccoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Turkey burger, which i order out a lot, was kind of mealy. Dont bother with it.Special Features:
- a2000BobDined on 8/25/2014great food and service. at times, can be noisy. the smoked brisket and pork are highly recommended. the slaw served with the meal is more of an afterthought though, much too small a portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldnt have been better!downtownfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Great service, great beer, and great food. Going back as soon as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014I went there for lunch with a partner. Ok food, good service and much too noisy. Some of us from work went there after work; even though we were in the back of the very large venue, the noise level was too much to even converse over the table where we were seated. The twenty-somethings will love it, howeverSpecial Features:
- Decent food, fun atmosphereBeHaDined on 8/20/2014We went here for the first time for a corporate lunch and the overall experience was ok. The place is very large and extremely noisy! Had I been their with friends instead of for a corporate setting, I may have enjoyed it more. The food was ok, nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Good food, but noisy!JAMSVIPDined on 8/14/2014Went for lunch, pretty good crowd at noon on a Thursday. I had pulled pork platter, husband had ribs. I loved the pork had a good flavor even without sauce. Thought at $3.50 soft drinks/ice tea were a little pricey. Would recommend and definitely will return.Special Features:
- Good lunch in the LoopMLoopDined on 8/8/2014Have been here twice for lunch during the work week - the food was good, and it was easy to get a table outside, even on beautiful summer days. (The Wells-side patio is under the train tracks, so be prepared for L noise). But during both visits service has been less than attentive. It took over 15 minutes just to get soft drinks, and then we would often not see our server for long stretches of time. The patio was not that crowded, and I felt like we may have been forgotten about just because we were sitting out there.Special Features:
- Great PotentialSIM61Dined on 8/6/2014This place has the potential of becoming a great choice for dining in the loop. The location is outstanding for theater dining and business lunches, and the ambience is very warm and inviting. I'm reserving judgment on the food since I've only been there once. My meal was tasty enough but somewhat overpriced for what I got. The main negative vibe came from our waiter. He seemed totally distracted and rushed even though it wasn't very crowded - he looked over us or around us every time he came by and made no attempt to connect with us or make us feel welcomed. With a better service experience, I would probably have given it another star. That said, there were enough positives that I will probably go again.
- Never Ate there but went!AdSmithVIPDined on 8/5/2014Sat at my table for about 17 minutes...asked for a waiter to come who never did. I walked out unnoticed. It was more of a bar - VERY loud and not a varied menu. I will say that the bus boy was VERY kind, brought my water on time, went to get the waiter and actually ran after me as I forgot something, so he was amazing and wonderful. Aside from that, I'd avoid it like the plague.
- Terrific!DEB2171VIPDined on 8/5/2014Third time at Randolph Tavern and each visit has been good. Prompt, pleasant service - great for a fadt lunch. The lobster roll sandwich is to die for.Special Features:
- too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014great for after work crowd, good place to unwind for the next step/dinner. Do not make this the 'first step'/dinner until after 8PM or you will not be able to hear each other talk. Prices are very reasonable and the service is good.Special Features:
- Solid in the LoopStreetervilleResVIPDined on 7/31/2014This place is big, real big, so finding a table during the busy Loop lunch hour is a good probability here, though I always use opentable just to be safe. Food's good, not great, as is the service. Better that they're there than not.
- Interesting & GoodDEB2171VIPDined on 7/29/2014This was my scond lunch at Randolph Tavern and both experiences have been good. The menu is interesting - this time I had comfort food - hald a grilled cheese with bacon and half a salad. The previous time I had a delicious lobster roll. Service is very good. The place gets busy for lunch so make a reservation or go early. The noise level is intense, making it hard to talk. But, overall, it is a great addition to the downtown area.Special Features:
- Too Much NoiseJCP1VIPDined on 7/25/2014The restaurant is too loud. Having a conversation is difficult.
- Noise, noise, noiseJoyceVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food and service were good but it's no place to have a business lunch. You can't hear anyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014Noise level was ridiculous. You could not carry on a conversation. Waiter not familiar with the menu and beers. I asked for something that was either like a Blue Moon or shandy or unfiltered. What he recommended wasn't even close.
- LOUD!LOUD!!LOUD!!!ChicagoKelsDined on 7/17/2014I am no grandma, but I'd like to TALK to the person I'm with. The decibel level inside was equivalent to standing near the speakers at a rock concert. The hardwood floors surely didn't help. Luckily, they had a few outdoor tables crammed together. We grabbed one, only to discover it was directly under an EL track. Which by the way was still quieter than being inside. Work on the acoustics. Your food is good, but I am not paying $125 for two (one drink each and one app) for it, then the money to have my eardrums replaced. Too many other restaurants in the Loop to choose from.Special Features:
- great happy hour spotbuckeyegirlVIPDined on 7/10/2014Drink service can be a bit slow but otherwise this place is great for after work drinks and appsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialJenSchufDined on 7/10/2014Had heard good things about this newer restaurant in the Loop but was left underwhelmed. The restaurant was very crowded at lunch and they had diners packed in. The food was just okay, I had a bbq platter and my dining companion had a salad, which looked a little better. Biggest complaint was that the service was slow for lunch. My drink was never refilled and I was left waiting for the check.Special Features:
- Great Addition to the ArearowchickVIPDined on 6/16/2014I am so excited to have Randolph Tavern in the Loop! This area is a little lacking in decent food options and RT definitely has plenty to offer. Form BBQ to burgers, Lobster Rolls to salads, you can get it all - and a great craft beer to match. You won't want to go back to the office after lunch here!Special Features:
- Fantastic but..mayraaaaaVIPDined on 6/13/2014The waitress was amazing but waiting for a burger on a Friday night when it wasn't even busy 1hr 15mins... Not so great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer selection, yummy burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014I made a reservation for 8 people, and they were very flexible about us not having the whole group there (you know how happy hour turnouts can go) - which I really appreciated. We were there from 5-10:30 and ended up having two servers - one in the first few hours and one in the latter half. The first was slightly friendlier than the second, but both were very professional and attentive. We ordered burgers and they were delicious. I got the tavern burger, which has pork belly, and I did not regret it.Special Features:
- Love the locationStreetervilleResVIPDined on 6/13/2014The Central Loop needs more options. 312 is no good at lunch (great for business bfast) and Encore is simply…well it's amazing they're still alive and kicking. Randolph Tavern is big, noisy and bustling. Great location. Food is good, but not great or special. Solid choices but no real thrillers, at least not that I've discovered as of yet.
- Great new kid on the block!PastaLoverDined on 6/10/2014A welcome addition to the block! I look forward to having drinks there after work -- the location is just perfect for commuters. But I went to for lunch, arrived at 11:15 to beat the rush, and the food was really good, the service super friendly.Special Features:
- first timeRobHVIPDined on 6/7/2014discovered this new restaurant while passing by at lunch time of a Friday. Huge location was filled to capacity so decided to try out with friends on Saturday evening. Plenty of tables available. Server was very attentive and noted that location, across from Cadillac Theatre, draws theater crowds. In fact, server asked if we were going to show so that he could help gauge the time for us. small plates to share for appetizers along with a terrific beer and cocktail list. BBQ Brisket dinner was melt in you mouth perfect. Turkey burgers to die for and lobster bahn mi was fresh with tantalizing flavorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Bar FoodChicagoDowntownerDined on 6/7/2014Randolph Tavern just opened and is getting its feet on the ground. Great bar food. The restaurant selections should be chosen carefully and ask about portion sizes, especially considering some selections are priced based oin market conditions. The service is very good and this is a good place to try. The bar food is very reliable and they do a good job with it.Special Features:
- ServiceDottyDined on 5/30/2014Food was good , however our waiter dropped off the menus and dissappeared for quite some time. We had to get the Hostess to pay our check since we also waited an additional 10 minutes to pay our bill,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 8 reviews are from the Randolph Tavern reviews archive.
- Quite Good, Quite NoisyJessicaVIPDined on 5/23/2014We went for dinner before a show on the Friday before Memorial Day, which probably had a LOT to do with the noise level. My husband and I couldn't hear each other and we could barely hear our servers. I didn't look at the wine list, but they had a lot of beers/hard ciders on tap and that's what we were in the mood for. Husband had the house-smoked sausage, I had a cobb salad both were good but the bacon on my cobb salad tasted a bit burnt. We ordered an appetizer, but dinner arrived first so we canceled the appetizer order. We will most likely return for the house-smoked meats, good beer, and we still want to try the lamb meatballs with kale.Special Features:
- Good but pricey for lunchSun55SunDined on 5/22/2014This is a new place and it was great for a business lunch; glad I didn't have to pick up the tab, however. Good food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but great foodGuttsyDined on 5/21/2014Great menu for anyone with discerning tastes. Genre goes from BBQ to Mexican to Burgers, Salads and Fish. Whether your Vegan or a Beef lover, you'll find something for your specific tastes. Only drawback was the noise level during lunch. I don't like shouting at person across table. TV's are also all over the place for sports buffs as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food but overpricedmichaelphillVIPDined on 5/17/2014Creative menu and food was tasty, though nothing extraordinary. Service was excellent but the prices were way too high for neighborhood and amount of food. Go to River North and pay about the same for much better food.Special Features:
- ChicagofoodieDined on 5/16/2014Poutine is amazing! I also recommend the B.O.L.T very tasty. Drinks however are way over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahMcMabesDined on 5/16/2014Tried Randolph Tavern on Friday evening. My first reaction is that the noise level is just ridiculous. Obviously, it seems to be more of a bar. We were seated near the back of the restaurant and greeted by our server, Jack. He, frankly, seemed quite disinterested. Never explained the menu, was less than customer focused and didn't seem to care. When I asked about substituting sweet potato fries for regular fries, he told me no without even checking to see if a substitution was possible. He never returned to ask if everything was ok and we had to flag him down to get our check. Maybe it was new opening jitters, but the place is absolutely nothing special.
- Great food & serviceJohnVIPDined on 5/15/2014Though I was there during happy hour which made it pretty loud. The table was great, the service superb, and the food exceptional!Special Features:
- New spot with potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/13/2014Lively new spot in the Loop offers a good spot for drinks after work or pre-theater dinner. Just opened so I'll cut them a little slack, but they need to work on service. Drinks were slow to arrive. Food came promptly but first courses and mains all came out together. Menu is all over the map - BBQ, steaks, seafood, tacos, etc. Some focus might help. House tomato soup was fine but nothing special. Wedge salad was classic, crisp and huge. Rabbit meatballs were tasty if a bit pricy at $25. Shrimp and grits were quite good with a nice little spicy kick, although 4 shrimp is a bit skimpy for an entree. I'll try again when they've worked through the opening issues.