Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theranch616.com/
- Phone: 5124797616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Kevin Williamson / Antonio Vidal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contacts: Kevin Williamson email@example.com Miguel Vidal firstname.lastname@example.org Antonio Vidal email@example.com 512.479.7616
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available for buy outs.
- Private Party Contact: Miguel Vidal 5124797616
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Thursday featuring Lucas Hudgins and the First Cousins. "Country Classic" i.e. Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Charlie Pride.
A word from Ranch 616
South Texas Ice House, "Texas Cuisine" Products from the Texas Gulf to the Texas Hill Country. "The huge snake logo on the outside of an otherwise nondescript building -- created by Bob "Daddy-O" Wade, best known for the oversize boots that front San Antonio's North Star Mall -- is your first hint that this place might be a bit, well, different. Inside, cowboy kitsch, 1950s diner decor, and Mexican folk art mingle, as do workers from the nearby county offices, local movers and shakers, and anyone else looking for terrific food that, like the decor, defies easy categorization. Call it South Texas gourmet. You can really taste the chipotle chilies in the tartar sauce that comes with some of the best crispy oysters this side of the Mason-Dixon Line, and the Gulf fish tacos are gussied up with chili lime aioli and Tabasco jalapeño onions. You get the idea -- lots of spicy dishes."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Ranch 616 - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Ranch 616 reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (36)hot spot (33)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (31)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (17)vibrant bar scene (17)great for lunch (16)romantic (8)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- better every timeENZODined on 8/30/2014the halibut with carmelized onion with lobster/crab was awesome. Great service without bothering us. Great mexican martini's !Special Features:
- SheriChefSheShe123Dined on 8/26/2014First time visiting Ranch 616. The Divorced Trout was excellent! All of the dishes our group ordered were great! Very good customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- let55Dined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed the service, ambiance, food and cocktails at Ranch 616!Special Features:
- Great Service & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014From reservation, welcome, ambiance and food we enjoyed a pleasant evening. Best frog leggs around!Special Features:
- Great time!indianpaintbrushDined on 8/15/2014Had a great time the other night. A little too loud for a dining experience but the overall service and the food was excellent. Recommend to everyone if you .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner for two.StephVIPDined on 8/9/2014I made a reservation, for which we arrived an hour ahead. The bartender was very attentive while we waited, and the hosts very generously moved us up so we didn't wait long. We both ordered from the special menu after the delectable bacon-wrapped shrimp appetizer, and were not disappointed by our meals. They cooked seafood and steak perfectly, and we had nice wine choices for pairing. This is our second visit to Ranch 616, and we will continue to go for special, romantic dinners together.Special Features:
- Loud but decentFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Trying for a romantic dinner, this is not the place. It's loud but good for a night out with friends. Food was okay. Quail was good, tilapia was fair. The goat cheese mashed potatoes were the best item we tried. Fried oysters were fresh. Had about a 30 minute wait even with a 10pm reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike Boston Meets Jen AustinMikeBostonDined on 7/9/2014Great "Texas" food, awesome "local" drink specials. The Quail, Duck and Sausage Platter was to die for! Fun wait staff and unpretentious customers made for a great evening! I'll be back!Special Features:
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Ranch 616 has a terrific consistent menu. The service if responsive and professional and the drinks are well prepared and use the best ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLatchDined on 7/8/2014Really enjoyed the oysters and the fish medley was excellent. Pass on the lamb chops, very small, but tasty. Took 4 customers and had 6 total, and the food was great and hot... Good wine selection. Enjoyed it and will be back.Special Features:
- Fun & quirky with Great FoodMelCDined on 7/4/2014If you love a restaurant that reflects the Austin quirky vibe and mixes it with a little Tex-Mex and Hill Country scene, you'll love this. The food is just as fun and delicious. Comfortable patio but you must check out the indoor scene, too. Definitely worth dining at Ranch 616.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealBTS92Dined on 6/20/2014This was a Girls' Weekend dinner outing and we loved the atmosphere of Ranch 616. We ordered the fried asparagus, truffle fries and camarones rellenos for appetizers. Quite frankly, we could have gone without the camarones rellenos because the other two items were what caught our tastebuds. Divorced Quail was ordered with sauteed spinach instead of the veggies - great. The other dishes - Divorced Trout, Petite Tenderloin and Chicken Fried Tenderloin were all delicious. We shared a brownie with ice cream and a cinnamon bread pudding with ice cream for dessert. Overall, the food was just what we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...lousy waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014We have been to Ranch 616 many times over the past eight years and really enjoyed the atmosphere and interesting menu. The food has always been standout and this time it was fantastic. We really enjoyed the food and the presentation. The mexican martini was not too sweet and the Italian Pinot just right. The service has been stellar until this time. We arrived towards the end of the evening and our waiter seemed like he was ready to leave. He was curt and impatient with our order and slow to respond to us. In all fairness, he could have been overloaded...but either way, we left less than satisfied. We will go back and give Ranch 616 another opportunity. We are certain that they will address the issue.Special Features:
- Food too much heat, dirty floors.CeegDined on 6/6/2014The high point was the service. Host and waitress were polite and attentive. I took my wife to Ranch 616 because of the reviews. We were disappointed by the food. There was so much pepper that our palate was overwhelmed. And we didn't order "spicy" plates. We sat by the window and fought a fly. We noticed that the floor had a build-up of grime. We would recommend less pepper and more cleaning.
- Terrible ServiceKatieHVIPDined on 5/31/2014I have never had such a horrible experience at a restaurant as I did at Ranch 616 this past Saturday. My party was treated so disrespectfully and received such poor service that we had to leave before ever being served. In addition to being 28 years old and refused alcoholic beverages due to the fact that the waiter didn't believe our IDs would be from four different states (we all met in Austin and do, in fact, live in four different states), the inability to answer a friend with a gluten allergy's question about whether she could or could not get a taco with a corn tortilla, the general lack of customer service and waitstaff's rude, unaccommodating attitude was like none I have ever experienced.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2014THE HOSTESS CANCELLED OUR RESERVATION FOR THE 31ST FOR SOME REASON. WE ENJOYED OUR EXPERIENCE ON THE 29TH HOWEVER WHEN WE CAME BACK FOR OUR 31ST RESERVATION, THE HOSTESS WAS ARROGANT AND BASICALLY RECOMMENDED ANOTHER RESTAURANT FOR US TO EAT AT BECAUSE I ACCIDENTALLY MADE OUR RESERVATION ONLINE FOR 2 INSTEAD OF THREE. SHE PUT US IN THE CORNER RIGHT BY THE KITCHEN. WAITERS WERE GREAT ON BOTH NIGHTS. LOVE THE RESTAURANT JUST REALLY DID NOT APPRECIATE THE HOSTESSES' ATTITUDE ON SATURDAY NIGHT. GET A NEW HOSTESS.Special Features:
- Great ambiance!40andfullDined on 5/24/2014We went to dinner for our friends 40th and are so happy we choose Ranch 616. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect DinnerDolphyDined on 5/24/2014Staff was very nice and welcoming to me and my family. Service was top notch. The drinks and food were excellent. I had the chicken maize. It was delicious! My family enjoyed their dinner as well, and were impressed with the quality of food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 295 reviews are from the Ranch 616 reviews archive.
- Authentic old AustinRugbygodDined on 4/28/2014The way Austin used to be before the hipsters arrived. Gives an authentic view of pre-90's Austin both in decor and menu but with a very fun, young crowd in their 20-40's. Great place to bring out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid but not greatPablo2UDined on 4/24/2014I've come here for more than a decade, usually for lunch. Lunch seems a better option; for dinner the food seemed uninspired in the larger entrees and well, dated. Nothing was horrible but nothing was great. The flavors seemed muddy and the choices seemed all in a very narrow flavor palate. Maybe after all these years, it's time to change it up, reach a little further?Special Features:
- YummyJD83VIPDined on 4/22/2014nice, yummy and fun. Great Service. our group always has a great meal.
- First nightwschDined on 4/13/2014We arrived in Austin late one evening and found Ranch 616 was walking distance from our hotel. Sat outside on a beautiful evening and enjoyed a quiet (maybe because it was Sunday) and well-served meal. Food was straight-forward and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in AustinMythoughtsDined on 4/7/2014This restaurant is consistently good on food and exceptional on service but this last visit was lacking. It was a Monday night which normally would be a slow night but it was super busy and I think the staff was caught off guard. Food was good but the service was lame. Our waitress seemed to be having a personal crisis and screwed up everything from our drink order to the bill. Not very friendly and actually seemed put out when we asked why she charged us an extra $20 on our bill. And after leaving did we realize we never did receive two items of food we ordered and ended up paying for.Special Features:
- Just Not BadPaTravelerDined on 4/5/2014Austin has some very good restaurants. This is not one. It is probably very good for bar food, however. By the way, the "specials" menu we were given did not have prices. There was a reason: everything was priced substantially higher than the regular menu.
- Good foof funky sratingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014The food here is well prepared and the portions fair for the price. The seating is a bit funky. The bar noise can be loud and distracting anad the indoor seats somewhat cramped. Outdoors is a bit more open. Overall it was a good experience.
- Awesome Austin SpotGeorgiaGirlVIPDined on 3/27/2014Best burger ever; fabulous service from Jeremy; very hip look. This is a must do; if you want a burger, go at lunch. Fabulous dinner menu, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local gemSkinnyVIPDined on 3/27/2014In a new town, wanted to find a unique local spot, so turned to my OpenTable app. This place showed up and caught my eye. They weren't kidding about the fried oysters, and the outdoor seating was exactly what I was after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Believe In 2nd ChancesStillGivingRanchAChanceDined on 3/22/2014Saturday night was my wifes B-Day & I organized a little party of 6 for a suprise B-Day dinner at 1 of my favorite eateries in Texas. My reservation was at 9:30pm Sat but I called in at 5:30pm to get a earlier time with no avail. We got there at 8pm and everything was fine until our order came out. The steak was overcooked, sides were wrong or the sides were not there at all and when our server did check on us after half the meal was over and she brought out the last plate (10 mins after food was served) she blamed the kitchen and the hostess for booking a mega party on the patio. We didn't complain or gripe but this is not what I'd expect from 616. I even tipped 25% of the bill.
- Not for a romantic dinner dateMD14Dined on 3/12/2014We booked our reservation a month ago for my husband's birthday knowing it was SXSW week. However, we felt sandwiched into the wall, the tables were extremely loud, we could not hear ourselves speak, and our waitress was not very attentive. This is more of a group dinner spot than a romantic dinner date spot. We won't come back during SXSW again, but we'll consider coming with a group otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressiveLaCrunyiDined on 3/4/2014Ranch 616 is one of my top 5 favorite restaurants in Austin. This last visit was fantastic with great drinks, wine, food, ambience and overall experience . I recommend Ranch 616 for anyone showcasing the best of Austin to new visitors or friends, and for any special occasion....or for a really great meal and experience any day of the week. The eclectic menu has very unique Texas cuisine yet has some of the best steaks and seafood in Austin. Visit often and stay late!! They'll take care of you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, beveragesfoodiefriendDined on 3/1/2014Great atmosphere, beverages and food - always a favorite.Special Features:
- be careful ordering specialsspecialkDined on 3/1/2014Prices weren't listed, and we were unpleasantly surprised to find that the beef tenderloin special we ordered (in fact both specials we ordered) were over twice as expensive each as the similar entrees on the menu. Overall we got a four star bill for a two star experienceSpecial Features:
- It was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2014I had family come in town and visit and a friend of mine recommended we go to the Ranch 616 for a casual tex-mex style dinner. I'll agree with my friend, the ambiance was great, margaritas were good, and the food was decent. But our main issue was with our server. He just wasn't that kind. It almost felt like we were intruding because whenever we asked questions (my parents aren't from Texas so they don't know some items on the menu) the answers we received were very short and just not helpful. He really could have been more accomodating. He was fine... Just not the friendliest of servers. Other than that, the meal was OK and we left feeling stuffed. I may come back but I probaqbly wouldn't bring any visitors from out of town again.Special Features:
- Brings the slogan " keep AustinHarpzzzDined on 2/26/2014Brings the slogan " keep Austin weird" to life. Great food thats eclectic, generous, and well prepared. If you've never Ben you have to go once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We had a fun and delicious Valentine's Day here! ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is great, live music, in-spotcowgirlDined on 2/13/2014We ate on the patio and enjoyed the live music. We love everything about Ranch 616. You need to make a reservation otherwise you will have to wait because it's always crowded.Special Features:
- DissappointedStephenDined on 2/13/2014One of my old favorites in Austin. Had a decent meal there in November and I just figured that it was an off night for the restaurant. Decided to give it another go. UGH. A couple problems.... - My wife's appetizer looked like someone had just dumped the food onto it from a child's plate. I literally laughed at the presentation and the quantity of food. - I ordered the STX mixed grill that comes with quail, sausage, and chicken fried venison. The quail was awesome, but the sausage was subsituted for ribs which were just gross. - We ordered desert and instead of powdered sugar, the chef put baking soda on it. Wow. - The service was not good. I will add that I have never complained about a restaurant on any site like this.
- Very good service and food.ItalyFan2Dined on 1/31/2014Very good service and food. Enjoyed it very much except for excessive noise level. But that just goes with the territory there.Special Features:
- Forgotten treasureLunchLadiesDined on 1/27/2014I had not eaten at Ranch 616 in quite some time. I met a friend for lunch and had a wonderful Asian-inspired shrimp topped salad. I love the eclectic menu that isn't trying to be too trendy. I didn't even realize the parking lot has been taken over by a high rise under construction, so parking at lunch proved to be a bit of a challenge. But the short walk on a cold day was worth the warm atmosphere and good food inside.Special Features:
- great service and nice foodJjnycVIPDined on 1/19/2014had fun. laidback ambience. decent food. fun cocktailsSpecial Features: