1700 Fern Street
Alexandria, VA 22302Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rampartstavern.com/
- Phone: (703) 998-6616
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 12:30am, Saturday: 10:30am - 12:30am, Sunday: 10:00am - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jermaine Keys
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Our separate bar has live acustical music Wednesday-Saturday 9pm-1am
A word from Ramparts Tavern
A local Alexandria restaurant since 1978. Recent renovations make this neighborhood spot comfortably elegant. Chef Jermaine Keys offers spectacular specials every lunch and dinner. Pair your meal with wine from our list of over 80 or beer from our list of over 100. Our brunch menu is available Saturday and Sunday. We also offer a private dining room for any occasion. Come enjoy a great meal with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ramparts Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Service needs improvementinnesDined on 11/11/2012We have been going to Ramparts about every two weeks and received great food and service until recently. My family was in town (party of nine) so I thought we'd share this great place. The food was good but the service seemed to just stop. Couldn't get napkins, ran out of water, tea selection wasn't brought out as told by the waiter. He just seems to walked around our table and take care of the other guests. Had to flag him down to get our check. Service rating falls between poor and fair. The food is the only reason I give the restaurant a fair rating. I think we're going to move on and find another place. Thanks.
- We love Ramparts, it is ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/10/2012We love Ramparts, it is our go-to restaurant when we want to have a really good meal, but don't want to have to worry about distance and parking. It's been in the neighborhood for a long time now and it just keeps getting better.Special Features:
- Our party of 9 was seatedDelRayDinerDined on 10/21/2012Our party of 9 was seated in their back room, which worked very well for us. We ate another delicious meal there.Special Features:
- Ramparts is the best of many worldsCandBDined on 10/11/2012Ramparts offers the best of several worlds. Their food is top notch, offering great twists on traditional pub grub as well as some foodie selections that would please even the most discerning palate. Their wine selections and flights are also a great find in this wonderful gem. Ramparts also offers a vibrant sports bar, too with over 25 HD flat screens and some great bar specials. Our favorites are the $3 cans on Thursday nights with the tater tots with three dipping sauces. Can't beat that. The staff in the bar are great and work very hard for you, keeping an eye on everyone - whether you are a regular or not. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys a higher quality of pub grub in a terrific sports bar atmospherSpecial Features:
- First time visit to a localLocalVIPDined on 10/7/2012First time visit to a local place we were wondering about. Small and loud. Limited menu selection and nothing noteworthy. Skip it!
- The entree of giant scallopsCriticalDinerVIPDined on 9/22/2012The entree of giant scallops with asparagus risotto was a standout.Special Features:
- The scallops special was reallyDowntownerDined on 9/22/2012The scallops special was really meaty and tasty. Although the overall feel of the restaurant is very casual and not very interesting, the service was good and the food surprisingly delicious.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed half priceGregVIPDined on 8/13/2012Really enjoyed half price burger night. Our server Orlando was great. He knows his job and is very friendly and knowledgableSpecial Features:
- Very good food, and a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2012Very good food, and a great wine and beer list. Cool vibe in the restaurant.Special Features:
- conveneint and predictableMetroDCDinerVIPDined on 7/20/2012We typically end up at Ramparts at least once per month. We usually try the specials if they sound appetizing. I had the swordfish. My husband had the flat iron steak. He said my fish was the better of the two. Our waiter, who we have had before, was attentive. Nothing flashy about this neighborhood place. It is conveneint and the food seldom disapoints.Special Features:
- It's a comfortable place servingLeePoseyDined on 6/29/2012It's a comfortable place serving good, simple food.Special Features:
- Tasty gem up in Arlington !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2012This was my first visit to Ramparts after my husband went here for dinner with a group of friends. The salmon was so good and my husband loved the ribs. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. He recommended the chocolate cake and we loved it!! The bar is attached but you could not hear it in the main restaurant. Helpful staff. Great food!Special Features:
- Tried the blackened scallopsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2012Tried the blackened scallops and they were excellent, the dinner salads were also great.Special Features:
- Went to Ramparts for theirDCDinerDined on 5/13/2012Went to Ramparts for their Mother's Day brunch. Quiet and cozy atmosphere. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. The buffet had the usual brunch items as well as a omelet station. Unfortunately, for those that don't eat egg yolks, the omelet station didn't offer an egg substitute or egg whites. Overall the food was good but we all agreed that hot food items could have been warmer.Special Features:
- Nice place to gather withOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/12/2012Nice place to gather with friends. The service was really good.Special Features:
- My mother & I went for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/6/2012My mother & I went for brunch after church. The restaurant was not full. The air conditioning was very cold & made the coffee & food cold. The fried eggs were very cold. I was happy with the experience.
- As usual the food was great,Dallas2014Dined on 4/28/2012As usual the food was great, lively atmosphere. Maybe because they were busy but we weren't offered desert or coffee... just the bill.Special Features:
- I am a patron of many years,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2012I am a patron of many years, but dine there more frequently since the change of hands over a year ago. Ramparts is very inconsistent, particularly with respect to service. On this evening, we each had a lackluster meal size salad. The service was terrible, and I think the server was disinterested in her job, or having an off night. Hopefully, next time will be better. It is amazing how important the service aspect is. Although the salads were not particularly good on this night, they were not representative of the usual fare. I will return and hope for a better experience.Special Features:
- I was there for a weekdaych4loveDined on 4/24/2012I was there for a weekday lunch. The restaurant was a bit noisy, but didn't hamper conversation. The service was excellent, and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Dining at Ramparts was a delight.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012Dining at Ramparts was a delight. The food was outstanding; I had the ribeye special was was cooked to perfection and my date had the covina was seasoned and cooked excellent. The service was good and the ambiance was great. We will definitely return to this restaurant for future dining.Special Features:
- Another great meal! Menu hasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2012Another great meal! Menu has changed slightly, but all for the better. weekly specials each night is always appealing.Special Features:
- They have specials each weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2012They have specials each week night, which we didn't know ahead of time. On Tuesday night, their special entrees (steak, shrimp, catfish, etc.) came with 5 sides! We're next going to try out one of their weekend brunches (Saturday and Sunday).Special Features:
- food tasted good althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2012food tasted good although my meat was a little tough. very noisy.
- Neighborhood gem with xcellent farejoansDined on 3/9/2012My third visit to Ramparts, preceding a local theatre performance - which, apparently, according to the waiter, has become popular with the theatre-goes. Not quite as crowded as on previous Friday night visits, perhaps due to better weather outdoors, which was actually nice. Ramparts can get very very busy on a Friday evening as it is a very nice, neighborhood bistro type watering hole and dining option. Always make a reservation and allow plenty of time, as service can get quite slow when it gets very crowded. I have always eaten the hamburger, which is delicious, but will try something else one of these days. My wine (Pinot Noir) was particularly excellent this time. My companion was very pleased and plans to return, as her home is nSpecial Features:
- Ramparts Tavern is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/6/2012Ramparts Tavern is always reliable for a good meal and service. Definitely kid friendly. Would like to see more vegetarian options, but everything I've had there was very good. Portions are large!Special Features:
- We were surprised to smellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012We were surprised to smell smoke from a separate dining for smokers area pervading the whole place. Our young server tried to please, but the wine was poor quality for a lot of money and the food was mediocre at best. We will not be returning, despite it's close location.
- The owners have up-gradedJohnfsDined on 3/2/2012The owners have up-graded the service and the menu. I have never before seen the staff to be so responsive. The food was good and service was prompt. We will happily return.Special Features:
- The salmon was ok. The houseBoringVIPDined on 2/29/2012The salmon was ok. The house salad was literally a bowl of lettuce with a few croutons. The beef medallions over root vegetables was basically meat over potatoes. I think there were maybe 4 or 5 carrots and 3 pieces of celery (which is not a root vegetable); it was advertised with pearl onions but there were none of those either. Very bland. Service was mediocre. Key Lime pie tasted and looked like it was bought in the frozen food section of any basic grocery store. Disappointing overall.
- Great Neighborhood Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2012We've started settling into certain items on the menu. Jim Beam sliders, S'more style desert, and their awesome burgers! Each nite of the week has a special, half priced wine bottles, half price burgers, wings, seafood nite. Changes thing up a bit so its not the usual each time. We first found this place during the big snow storm, they still had power :) And we have been coming back ever since!Special Features:
- Cozy neighborhood tavernbrookeVIPDined on 2/14/2012Valentines day dinner. Great cozy neighborhood tavern. Solid American style food and reasonable prices, ordered off the valentines menu with good success. Service was good. Wine list bold but a touch pricey. Got right in at our reserved time with no wait, no fuss.
- Glad we found this place.LivingLifeToTheFullestDined on 2/11/2012Wow. This is a place that we r adding to our list! Can't wait for another excuse to return. The food was amazing, atmosphere was quiet and nice, and the service was fantastic. Great place for a date or meet up with friends.Special Features:
- Brunch was ok, but nothing moreOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/29/2012We went for brunch because the menu looked good online. Unfortunately, there was an overwhelming stale cigarette smoke smell to the restaurant as soon as we walked in. Also, there was loud techno pop music on the sound system, which was really out of place for 11am on a Sunday. Food was good enough i.e., perfectly fine, but unremarkable. Solid brunch options. Service was friendly and quick. Price was certainly reasonable.
- Ramparts is a place that weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2012Ramparts is a place that we go very often. It is walking distance from our home and the food is great!Special Features:
- Hadn't been there in a fewDelRayDinerDined on 1/14/2012Hadn't been there in a few years. Went there for Restaurant Week. Very pleased with the food and service. I'm sure we'll go back.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/13/2012Our favorite restaurant! We happened to hit it on restaurant week and what a deal; 3 courses for 2 people for $35.Special Features:
- We always enjoy dining atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/29/2011We always enjoy dining at Ramparts. It's a great place.Special Features:
- We can always depend on RampartsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/8/2011We can always depend on Ramparts as a reliable neighborhood eatery, with good food and decent prices Just wish they'd get rid of the smoking in the bar. I realize they have a special permit, and it is legally ventilated, but you can still smell a faint whiff of smoke. Yech.Special Features:
- Delicious ribs and very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/24/2011Delicious ribs and very good French onion soup! I had a very good experience dining here and will do so again in the future. One thing though...please refrain from having your staff put up decorations during dining hours. It took away from the ambiance you were trying to create.Special Features:
- My wife talked me into givingminaandjimDined on 11/24/2011My wife talked me into giving Ramparts another try for Thanksgiving. Last year was really bad; we were seated by the front door and everytime it opened there was a blast of cold air coming through and our meals got cold immediatelly. Service was not too good. Just a bad experience all around. However, this year was much better, the seating was nice, but our waiter was a little slow, people that came after us got their meals before my wife and I. But...all in all, it was far better than last year and the food was very good.
- Make sure to make a reservationhickabillyDined on 11/19/2011Make your reservations if you are going on a Friday or Saturday night because this place is busy. It is a small space so you are pretty tightly packed in. Service was quick but it had a very "assembly line" feel to it. The "Hot Peas" are excellent, but they are greasy. While waiting for our table, many people walked in to find that the waiting list for tables was too long for their schedule and ended going across the street. So, be sure to make a reservation.