1700 Fern Street
Alexandria, VA 22302Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rampartstavern.com/
- Phone: 7039986616
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 12:30am, Saturday: 10:30am - 12:30am, Sunday: 10:00am - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jermaine Keys
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Our separate bar has live acustical music Wednesday-Saturday 9pm-1am
A word from Ramparts Tavern
A local Alexandria restaurant since 1978. Recent renovations make this neighborhood spot comfortably elegant. Chef Jermaine Keys offers spectacular specials every lunch and dinner. Pair your meal with wine from our list of over 80 or beer from our list of over 100. Our brunch menu is available Saturday and Sunday. We also offer a private dining room for any occasion. Come enjoy a great meal with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ramparts Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Great entrees! Sides were ok. Service was friendly but hard to order more of the all-you-can-eat mussels on Tuesday nights once the restaurant was crowded.Special Features:
- neighborhood genTed5Dined on 6/27/2014Great choice of beer. The bar has a terrific happy hour. Local crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantLookin4GoodEatsDined on 6/14/2014While we have gone past this place for a number of years we finally decided to have dinner here. The tater tots appetizer was delicious and the tomato bisque had a nice touch with a dollop of pesto added. We both had the beef tenderloin fillets over the bacon cheddar grits and it was excellent. Even the garlic green beans were done perfect. The desserts were so-so (red velvet cake and key lime pie). They also have a good wine list to select from and half-price on Saturday night on a number of bottles. But even the high end bottles of wine are reasonably priced. We would definitely go back and try the other items on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and trueOBX50810VIPDined on 6/11/2014Little local tavern that never disappoints. Uncomplicated fare that is prepared well, served promptly, at fair prices and with a smile. It is what it is -- not fancy, but reliable and imminently yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotjoansDined on 5/13/2014Ramparts is a classic, local neighborhood grill and tavern. The restaurant on one side is a warm and pleasant dining spot. The ambiance is informal, but there is nothing casual about the approach to food and service - it is professional and shows pride. The menu and wine list has good variety and interesting selections, and I have never been disappointed with a meal. Prices are fair and reasonable for what one gets overall.Special Features:
- Great Mother's DayGV1995Dined on 5/11/2014The food and service were outstanding...this is the second time we've had Mother's Day brunch at Ramparts Tavern, and once again it was an outstanding experience.Special Features:
- fun place good foodMommaMouseVIPDined on 5/9/2014We are from out of town, went onto open table and read reviews. Food and service were good, restaurant was busy. Not fancy but looked like quite a few locals were there. Looks a little out of the way but I would recommend it for upscale bar type food.
- The following 113 reviews are from the Ramparts Tavern reviews archive.
- Egg-celent Easter & Birthday BrunchBonniDined on 4/20/2014We went to Ramparts for brunch on Easter and also to celebrate my mother's birthday. There were 6 of us and we were treated very well! The service was very good and our server was very attentive. The food was great, especially since some buffets are not always the best. They kept things nice and fresh and were constantly replenishing items. There was something for everyone and even with the desserts, although we had 2 at the table unable to eat pastries, they had a wonderful fruit bowl. It was a really nice experience and we had a wonderful time! I've been here many times at night and that's always fun, but they are also a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- A Definite CombackPSUDanoVIPDined on 3/28/2014Ramparts acquitted itself in our "we'll try you guys again" visit after a lackluster previous performance. They've tuned up the menu with some new and/or updated selections, including the pork "ribeye" for the old pork chops. Still an excellent variety of beer, and the 1/2 price wine on Saturdays always makes this an attractive option.Special Features:
- Excellent price for the portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2014Excellent price for the portions you receive, great service, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner menuSandyVIPDined on 3/8/2014We frequently go to this gem of a neighborhood restaurant. We've tried each of the regular dinner menu entrees and have never been disappointed--flavorful, well-presented and good to the last bite. Special favorite is the Jack Daniels pork chops; this meal has always been perfectly cooked and well topped with a great sauce and is a portion size that leaves a chop to go for lunch the following day!. The julienne vegetable side is sautéed al dente and is nicely flavored. Take advantage of the $10 off coupons that mail via Valu Pack..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- made my birthday specialbirthdaygirlDined on 3/2/2014Kind waiter, felt no rush, felt wanted there, got treated the way everyone should be treated when going out. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/ sub-par serviceTctitansDined on 3/1/2014Excellent dining experience, except for the service. Service left a lot to be desired. How ever the excellent quality of the food made up for the service. I ordered the Kentucky Steak and Cheese, oh my god it was phanominal. Go to Ramparts they know what their doing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good job after a little workDaveDined on 3/1/2014Very good service and everyone was really nice, but we did have a few issues with the food. Our salmon dish was under-cooked. And the jambalaya that came with the prime rib with crab cake special had just one little shrimp in there. We pointed it out to our server who quickly apologized, brought it back to the kitchen, and a manager promptly brought it back out with a properly cooked salmon and one additional shrimp, which was ok with us. And just to note, the jambalaya was EXTREMELY spicy. I liked it that way, but I could imagine lots of folks would have issues with it. I guess all that combined could be a sign of quality control in the kitchen, but for us the service was very good and the food was tasty....which is what counts most.Special Features:
- Not as good as I rememberCloweVIPDined on 2/28/2014I tried something new and wished I'd stayed with Gorgonzola mashed potatoes and filet. Prime rib was fatty and tasteles. But nice Malbec and we'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I have been to Ramparts countless times. Never have I had a bad experience. The staff is always cheerful, the food is always good and cooked to order. Even on this busy night, there was no delay in anything here.....I highly recommend Ramparts !! There is a reason they've been in business so long. Stop by and see why !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, not GreatAlexandriaMaggieDined on 2/14/2014A fine place for a quick meal with family or friends. The menu is a bit boring with a range of pasta, burgers and seafood. Nothing is bad, but nothing to WOW anyone. Pricing is fair. Nice to stop by if you are in the area, but I would not make a special trip.Special Features:
- Enjoyable brunchMalibuManDined on 12/8/2013We had a group of 8 that grew to 10 and they were able to accommodate us. A number of people had the brunch specials and were all very pleased with the meals and left happy and thanking me for selecting a nice place. I had a steak sandwich which was very good with chunks of steak instead of the thin sliced typical chees steak. Portions were large enough nobody left hungry. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and I wouldSc57Dined on 12/6/2013Food was good and I would go again it is a nice neighborhood pub!!Special Features:
- Buen restauranteFoch2009Dined on 11/20/2013Fuimos varios amigos para tener una reunión y la pasamos bien. La relación calidad costo es aceptable. Lo recomiendo para ir en grupo. Volveré nuevamente.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!AlexVIPDined on 10/20/2013Went to brunch; was surprised by the menu selection. They venture far beyond bacon and eggs. The place is inviting, the staff doting and courteous, and the food was great. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ramparts "Not Quite There" this timPSUDanoVIPDined on 9/21/2013We went on a Sat night for the half-price bottle of wine. First indication of things being different was that the restaurant was far less busy than normal. We ordered wings (excellent) and then I ordered prime rib, wife ordered salmon, and son ordered a burger. While the burger and salmon were quite good, the prime rib first tendered (very fatty) and replaced (not rare, not great) were a disappointment. Service, though spirited and friendly, was uneven with large gaps of time with no visit. No apparent manager "prowling" the restaurant, something we've become used to in the past. The wheels did not come off the bus, but the engine was not certainly hitting on all cylinders--not the usual fun and tasty neighborhood dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish they'd improve the foodMetroDCDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2013We live nearby so stop here often for a quick and easy dinner. The wait staff is always friendly and the tempo to the dining is fine. We just wish they'd improve the quality of the meat. I had salmon, which is my staple there. It was fine. My son ordered a steak but for the price the quality of the meat was disappointing. More fat than meat. This is not the first time that's happened. Our kids hate it when we go there and frankly if it weren't so convenient we wouldn't.Special Features:
- Food was tasty and generousnocookVIPDined on 6/20/2013Food was tasty and generous . Our waitress was attentive ,but not intrusive. She was busy ,yet efficient !Special Features:
- A great neighbourhood restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2013The restaurant is smallish and has a definite neighborhood feel about it. It's split with a bar at the back of it and so the noise level can be quite loud so difficult for close conversation. However, service is always very good, the menu is long and varied, complete with specials of the day. I've been for brunch, lunch, and dinner and always had a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is store-boughtOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2013We went to this restaurant for Mother's Day brunch. The lunch/dinner entrees were good. The omlettes were well-prepared. However, the breakfast breads--bagels, coffe cake, biscuits--we're all store-bought, lacking any real flavor or character, and were served cold in unheated baskets. When we asked the manager to heat the biscuits and cold, hard bagels, she stated they would not do that on a buffet day. We then asked the matre'd and were told the same thing. Wow. The deserts were all tiny store-bought mini-cheesecakes and eclaires. Most were still frozen in the center. It's baffling how a restaurant can behave in this fashion and charge $25 per person. Unacceptable.
- Poor service but manager correctedMetroDCDinerVIPDined on 5/10/2013Ramparts is a neighborhood favorite but Fridays dinner was nearly a disaster. Our waitress can to the table clearly flustered and it went from bad to worse. After waiting over 20 minutes for a bottle of wine our dinner arrived. Clearly the waitress was not ready to be on her own. Luckily the manager gave us a new server and comped the wine. Both The salmon and beef mafia lions dinner were delicious. The new waiter Nolan and the manager saved the night. Thank you both. We will be back.Special Features:
- Comfortable and Dependable DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2013While we enjoy eating on the quieter, restaurant side of Ramparts, we prefer the casual style of the bar style. Sandwiches and appetizers are good, service has always been excellent, and the crowd is friendly. You don't go to Ramparts for a gourmet dining experience - you go for the neighborhood feel, the dependable and solid menu, and a fun experience - and Ramparts delivers on all three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to Ramparts on a SundayTomKDined on 4/7/2013Went to Ramparts on a Sunday afternoon around 3:30, and we were practically the only patrons in the place, so the service was quick and attentive! My wife had the Charleston Chicken salad, and it was absolutely huge. I finished the leftovers at dinner the following day. I had the Filet and Winter Root entree' cooked medium rare. The meat was prepared perfectly and the vegetables were delicious. Ramparts is located in a quiet spot in Fairlington. It is split between the Grill and the Tavern. I'll be going back to check out the night scene sometime.Special Features:
- dark and no real characterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013Nothing real special about the food or the atmosphere which was very disappointing. It is a neighborhood type place but of low quality overall. Very dark and out dated.
- Ramparts is our neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/1/2013Ramparts is our neighborhood restaurant and bar. We generally eat there about once a week, the food is flavorful, plentiful, and visually appealing. Germaine, the chef, makes some of the best soups ever!Special Features:
- Good Food not so Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2013Food was very good. I recommend the grilled shrimp kichers for an appetizer and Filet Medallions with Root Vegetables as an entree. The reason why I rated the service as Fair is becasue the server was hard to find at times. The server would dispper for somewhat extended periods. We had to flag the server down to order our entrees. Just because we are a larger group doesn't mean we need four times the amount of time to make up our minds as a smaller group.Special Features:
- Made a valentines reservationfoodreviewVIPDined on 2/14/2013Made a valentines reservation for my wife and I. We were seated promptly, but the server took a while to come see us; which is understandable b/c it was busy. When he (Justin) did come over, he simply said,"What can I get you to drink." I ordered the Oscar Blues Beer, which he left on the table in the can, no mention of a glass. I also ordered the ribs, which he told me were half price, but I was charged full price. I didn't realize this until I got home. He was pushy in trying to collect my check at the end and didn't thank us for coming in or say happy valentines day. 2 minutes after Justin picked up our signed check he left out the front door, almost running. I come here often, we usually sit at the bar. Usually the service is greatSpecial Features:
- My wife had a crabcake dishOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/20/2013My wife had a crabcake dish that was not good. Shredded crab with mediocre accompanying sauce etc. I, on the other hand, had an excellent hamburger--thick tender and juicy-- cooked medium well, as requested. In this town the food must all be good or the restaurant will not get a recomendation from me. Our waitress was very helpful and enthusiastic.Special Features:
- What a find! I don't usuallyMarkInArlingtonVIPDined on 1/18/2013What a find! I don't usually go to 'taverns' for dinner but Alexandria's restaurant week led us off the beaten path to Ramparts, and we were pleasantly surprised. Very unique offerings were over the top: potato-cheese dumplings with shrimp and chourizo, and the filet & root vegetables are both the best meldings of flavors I've ever had.ouches Wait staff are top notch; if you look you'll notice all those minor little touches that make a difference, i.e. my leftovers were dated. Ramparts is off the beaten path but is well worth the trip.
- Ramparts is our go-to restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/11/2013Ramparts is our go-to restaurant within walking distance from our home. We have been eating there for 30+ years now and we love it! The food is great as is the service, and we have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- One of our favorite neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/26/2012One of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. The food is great, as is the service and ambiance.Special Features:
- Delicious food, attentiveTracichkaDined on 12/13/2012Delicious food, attentive service, and not loud. Perfect for a relaxing night out. I had the mushroom ravioli and it was fresh and the sauce was fantastic. While there were a few holiday get-togethers with small groups, the noise level allowed us to talk without straining to hear or shouting to be heard. Highly recommend and we will be back.Special Features:
- Try the Burger Night on MondaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2012Very impressed with the craft beer menu, and the burgers were outstanding. For families with small children, Monday Night Burger Night at Ramparts is an absolute godsend.Special Features:
- Service needs improvementinnesDined on 11/11/2012We have been going to Ramparts about every two weeks and received great food and service until recently. My family was in town (party of nine) so I thought we'd share this great place. The food was good but the service seemed to just stop. Couldn't get napkins, ran out of water, tea selection wasn't brought out as told by the waiter. He just seems to walked around our table and take care of the other guests. Had to flag him down to get our check. Service rating falls between poor and fair. The food is the only reason I give the restaurant a fair rating. I think we're going to move on and find another place. Thanks.