Rama - San Diego
327 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Rama - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ramarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6195018424
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am -3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Pannuwat Soukjai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Spice, the catering division of Rama is a full service catering company that offers complete catering services from menu to table top design. Spice will plan coordinate and execute your event to perfection. Please visit www.spice-catering.com or contact Spice at 619-202-0367
- Private Party Facilities: Rama-San Diego offers Two Private Rooms. The Buddha Room offers a private entrance, patio, and a full bar. It accomodates up to 60 guests for seated dinners and 100 guests for cocktail receptions. The Waterfall Room offers a plush booth seating, full bar, and an open space plan. It accomdates up to 175 guests for seated dinners and 300 guests for cocktail receptions. Please contact our sales manager via email at email@example.com or phone at 619-202-0367
- Private Party Contact: Alex Thao 619-202-0367
- Special Events: Located in the Gaslamp Quarter of Downtown San Diego Rama offers a unique space for social and corporate events. Perfect for meetings and luncheons private dinners and cocktail receptions celebrity events holiday parties and wedding receptions.
A word from Rama - San Diego
Rama Restaurant has been awarded "Top 100 Restaurants in the USA" by Zagat and Conde Nast. "One of America"s Hottest New Restaurant's" by USA Today in 2007. Providing guests with exceptional service and authentic cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rama - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
- Terrific flavors, reasonable pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2013Went here with my wife and in laws recently, a terrific choice. We split a spring roll appetizer and six entrees between 5 people, a mix of pad Thai, various different curries and other dishes, and everything was excellent. Super packed with flavor without being overwhelming. We topped it all off with some delicious local beers, and it only ran us about 30 bones a head. Highly recommended, best Thai food I've had outside of Thailand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkFoodieDined on 5/17/2013Our experience in Rama was mediocre. First off our server was doubling as the bartender so he was not really attentive to us, he greeted us with a "ar u guys set, do you know what you want?". Aftet this apps where ok not amazing, main dishes where better. I think we would have a better experience if waiter was more friendly and less brusque...i would try it again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai in the GaslampwineandfoodloverVIPDined on 5/17/2013In all honesty, we went to Rama because we didn't want to drive to Celadon. Rama is just as good. The Masaman Curry was fantastic, as was the spicy lobster. The pineapple fried rice was good, but not great. Potstickers had a fantastic flavor, but were just a tad bit tough. The papaya salad was the best we've ever eaten and was the star of the meal. They have inventive (and wonderful) cocktails. The decor was romantic, but not stuffy or formal. Service was spectacular, from the moment we were seated until we walked out the front door. Rama is a wonderful destination for a truly excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy Thai RestaurantLuxuryRealtyGroupSDDined on 5/14/2013With a modern interior and extensive Thai food menu, Rama is a great Thai restaurant in the Gaslamp Quarter. Their Thai tea is very good and panang chicken was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ambienceLive2dineVIPDined on 5/1/2013My family and I had dinner to celebrate my birthday on a Wednesday evening. I was surprised how busy the restaurant was for a weekday. We all enjoyed our food, especially my dad who is pretty picky (he ordered fried red snapper), Just to see my family so pleased about the ambience (we were seated next to the rock wall fountain) and the food made me very happy!Special Features:
- Overall, I had a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Overall, I had a wonderful experience. The food was delicious, the service was quite efficient and the ambiance was unique and tranquil. With this said, however, I do have one minor complaint. Although I do not consider myself a pretentious individual, I did think it was tacky that the hostess--of a restaurant acclaimed to be the finest Thai food on the West Coast--was, essentially wearing pajamas (tights with crosses on them, a t-shirt and Ugg Boots). Really? I would be probably be sent home if I wore that to my (relatively informal) teaching job. Aside from my surprise in regard to wardrobe choice, all else was great!Special Features:
- Delicious Food, Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Rama creates such a beautiful ambience...purchased a Groupon deal, and so glad we did! The staff was amazing and attentive. The food was delicious and bountiful! The drinks were very good...especially the "Thai Me Up," it tasted like a smoothie! The menu is a bit pricey, but the staff and service made the whole experience worth it!Special Features:
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013The food was very good and authentic, the service was a bit too slow at the beginning in regards to get our drinks and to place our order.Special Features:
- Zagat gave Rama a 25 out ofHappydinerDined on 4/7/2013Zagat gave Rama a 25 out of 30 and I'd probably rate a little higher. The food was outstanding. Highly recommend RamaSpecial Features:
- i know the restaurante forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013i know the restaurante for manny years, we know the owner and he always take care of us, i realy hi recomended the restaurante great food very good price and a great service, and the place is very comfortableSpecial Features:
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/2/2013We tasted about 7 or 8 dishes all together and it was all amazing! Some of the best thai food I've ever had! Hands down a place to go back to when in town! Even their bottles water was to die for!Special Features:
- Good for a change of paceDSdinerVIPDined on 4/1/2013Good for a change of pace from ordinary steak, seafood and italian places frequented on the road...food was very tasty
- Great service, great foodVissidarteVIPDined on 3/30/2013It's a great spot, whether U sit in the more casual lounge/bar (indoors or outdoors). The back portion of the eatery is romantic and very inviting to linger over your libations and meal.Special Features:
- Great menu selection, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013Great menu selection, delicious food, and excellent and personable service. Great job impressing us...we will be returning!Special Features:
- Amazing ambiance-it almostOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/28/2013Amazing ambiance-it almost feels like you could be inThailand. Our server always seem rushed. Food was excellent though pricey is so not the best value.
- All-around fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/23/2013Great ambiance, great food and exceptional service. The DJ is great too! Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- We love Thai food, and haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013We love Thai food, and have both vacationed and lived in Thailand. We had heard great things about Rama and were very disappointed. The food was very bland. The papaya salad lacked both the heat of the chillies and the tang of the fish sauce. The curry had a little more spice, but not much. The fish was fresh, but the sauce was overly thick and heavy. As a first introduction to Thai food for someone who is uneasy about the typical heat, it is probably a good experience, but it does not even approximate the complexity of Thai cuisine. On the other hand, the service was good and the ambiance was attractive.
- The food was not bad but weOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/22/2013The food was not bad but we were seated right under a vent that blew cold air on us throughout the meal. we asked for it to be shut off but nothing happened so the food was cold along with us.
- We didn't know what to expect.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2013We didn't know what to expect. We were led down a dimly lit corridor to the back which opened up into another world. It was still pretty dimly lit-who cares. Each booth was arranged so you could see or hear people adcent to you and each booth had a curtain that further added to the ambience. It was then that noticed the stone wall with the water and the statue and all... okay enough with atmophere-you'll love it. The mojito and cranberry Margharita were so-so too strong or wrong ingredients. THE FOOD on the other hand was out of this world. I had the beef ribeye cubes and she had the garlic duck patay....home run! WARNING: the medium was pretty hot!Special Features:
- The food at Rama was delicious.EatitupDined on 3/15/2013The food at Rama was delicious. Each dish had a unique flavor. The waiter was very helpful pointing out which dishes would meet the special dietary needs of one of our guests. The atmosphere and excellant service made for a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:
- Great potential. We wereHillsDined on 2/27/2013Great potential. We were there late, so the vibe was a bit diminished, but I could see how it would be better during prime time. Food was good...we had the lobster dish (a little pricey IMO, but good), and the drunken noodles with duck - very good! The tom Kha soup with shrimp was excellent - it had a LOT of shrimp and filled me up before dinner! I wish it was a tad more spicy, but that is just a personal preference. Great place close to our home. Service we experienced was excellent, despite other reviews to the contrary. Bravo.Special Features:
- must try this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/27/2013The food was out of this world, as was the ambiance. We got to sit near this huge rock waterfall, which covers one whole side of the wall. Then there are tables that have individual curtains hanging in front of each of them. It was beautiful inside, the service was great and the food was even better! I LOVE this place!Special Features:
- rama rockslgsakaneDined on 2/27/2013the best thing i can say about rama is that i'd go back in a heartbeat...Special Features:
- Tak our server/bartender madeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/26/2013Tak our server/bartender made excellent recommendations and we had the panang salmon and also enjoyed the jumbo scallops! Our drinks were great & we finished our meal with mango sticky rice. The quality of the food was superb.Special Features:
- A lovely place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/26/2013We had a great dinner at Rama and look forward to our next visit. Food was delicious - we had the crispy calamari, crispy mahi mahi and spicy basil lobster, all 3 dishes were fresh and tasty. Service was friendly and prompt - waitress helped recommend some choices and our orders arrived real quick. Definitely a nice place to go for date night - beautiful paintings on the wall and long sheer curtains gave a nice romantic feel to the place.Special Features:
- The best Thai food I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/25/2013The best Thai food I have had since I was in Thailand in the early 60's. Over the top food.Special Features:
- Rama is fantastic. I comeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/22/2013Rama is fantastic. I come from across the country to eat here, and when I'm in town, I dine in multiple times. Don't miss it (keep it in business for whenever I'm around, please!).Special Features:
- We ate in the back room withSanDieganDiningOutVIPDined on 2/16/2013We ate in the back room with the water feature and long sheer fabric hanging from the high ceilings separating the tables - great atmosphere. We've eaten here before and the food is outstanding - full of flavor but not too spicy (unless you ask for it). A great evening.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013I loved the ambiance and would recomend it for upscale dining.Special Features:
- Just love coming here, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Just love coming here, especially on our anniversary and other special occasions.Special Features:
- Rama reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Enjoyed a great dinner at Rama last evening. We all enjoyed our choices. Appetizers were large enough to share with 4 people and the spring rolls and peanut sauce were quite tasty. Crispy Mahi mahi was the favorite. I would suggest the front dining area. The back was a little damp, dark and cave like (just personal preference). Service was timely and friendly. The only negative I will mention was the rather loud techno music. It just didn't fit the vibe of the restaurant.Special Features:
- very nice place with greatrandyVIPDined on 2/15/2013very nice place with great food calamari was good great mojitos wife had scallops which were great and i had crying tiger which was grat, this is a really cool place to go great atmosphere in back room which is only open friday and saturdays so thats when i would goSpecial Features:
- Excellent dinner experienceIreneDined on 2/15/2013Great for date night, food was delicious, good size portions, friendly food servers, manager came by to see how we were doing, excellent experience overall. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- RamaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Made a reservation, Seated right away, Very friendly staff, Dj was great, Very attentive server, Quick drink refills, Strong drinks, Really good food. Great experience overallSpecial Features:
- I have been here several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013I have been here several times and as always Rama did not disappoint.The food was excellent as well as the drinks. Mojitos are best I've had in San Diego. The rear dinning area has the capacity of feeling both open and intimate which was a plus with my girlfriend...she is into that kind of stuff. The service staff is top notch, they were very attentive, courteous and knowledgeable about the menu. One last thing I'd like to point out is that my rantings of "outstanding" are very carefully thought out and very rarely find a place that earns five stars. Thank youSpecial Features:
- RAMA the best Thai!LuvAfghanDined on 2/8/2013Loved the crying tiger. Best I have ever had!Service was good but they need to do some different music_DJ was playing some weird stuff. Hubby had te shrimp appetizer and it came out like a hay stack and he said they were good but the look was the bestQSpecial Features:
- Four of us had dinner at RamaJoanVIPDined on 2/7/2013Four of us had dinner at Rama and two were pleased. I had a curry and pot stickers and they were both delicious. One of our friends and my husband had to send their entrees back because they were cold. Neither were happy with the food. When we were seated the noise from the table next to us was so intrusive that we asked to be reseated and our server gratiously did this. We did have to hunt down our server several times to get water and the wine was not what we ordered but was good anyway.
- great quality food, good service,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/6/2013great quality food, good service, excellent ambiance.Special Features:
- Everything was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/6/2013Everything was excellent. Loved the Red Snapper. Very helpful, efficient and courteous service. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Loved it! Amazing food, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Loved it! Amazing food, great service and a nice romantic atmosphere!Special Features: