3939 W. 50th St. Suite 101
Edina, MN 55424Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rakumn.com/
- Phone: 9523582588
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Megu L.
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View
- Catering: For catering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org!
A word from Raku
Raku is a new sushi joint in the 50th & France area. Raku is stylish and contemporary with muted tones. The menu offers plenty of sushi options as well as specialty modern Japanese dishes such as duck spring rolls and tuna pizza. Raku also offers a full bar with large selection of sakes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Raku reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (3)romantic (3)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- UnderwhelmingRick45Dined on 10/14/2014Empty restaurant should have been our first clue. Food was just okay, but not worth the prices. The California roll was small and similar to ones found in the grocery store. The tempura was extra oily and didn't sit we'll in anyone's stomach. The ramen noodle dish was okay, but salty. I did see a specialty roll come to another table and it looked good. Our waiter didn't seem knowledgable. Either his English wasn't that great or he didn't know the menu. I wouldn't return except to try a specialty roll for a happy hour.
- Creative, delicious sushiLainchDined on 10/13/2014We've been to Raku at least a dozen times and are NEVER disappointed. It's some of the best sushi in this country - seriously! Try: Lost Tuna, Tuna Pizza and Playboy - unbelievably good! Both Raku locations are far from our home, but they are both worth the trip!!Special Features:
- wonderful rolls and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2014The food continues to be very consistent and the wife loves the rolls. Also, the service was amazing. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Go for Raku!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014One of the best Japanese restaurant in the Twin Cities. Great food, nice atmosphere and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickDined on 7/29/2014The food and service was very good, but we felt rushed. Each course came on top of the previous course, and I hate having to move my plate to make room for the next plate. We will go back because there are several more things on the menu we want to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair pricing. Solid SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014My wife and I always get the yellowtail/scallion, tuna/avocado and Manhattan rolls. 3 strong rolls from Raku that never seem to disappoint. The 4th roll we order is typically from their specials menu. With our most recent Raku visit, we ordered the Fantasy roll which was outstanding. Thank you Raku for offering consistently solid sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, OK food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014Raku is a lovely restaurant where one can eat a meal in comfort amid pleasant surroundings. The food quality is inconsistent- some dishes are tasty others are so-so. The duck spring roll is outstanding, as is the shumai. The rolls tend to be more tasteless and all the same. The flavor of the sushi in the rolls is completely submerged into the accompaniments. The tempura is hot and crisp but the dipping sauce is bland. For better Japanese food I would recommend Fuji-Ya in Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go againGrouponGroupieDined on 6/26/2014A reservation was required, yet when I arrived I had to sit at the sushi bar. I was told by the server that I should order directly from the sushi chefs, then waited over 20 minutes before the server came back and told me I should have called her over to take my order. Then, even after pointing, she managed to get the order wrong. I don't expect fluent Japanese, but the servers should know how to pronounce the items on the menu. The food was good, but the experience was not
- The following 183 reviews are from the Raku reviews archive.
- Enjoyed the sushi.tweetVIPDined on 6/20/2014Service is great--professional, enthusiastic, and professional. Food very good--fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Finest Fish HereIanSDined on 5/6/2014There may be a better Japanese restaurant in Minneapolis but I have not found it. The quality of the fish is remarkable and the speed of service and inventiveness of the food is first class.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2014I dined recently with my Japanese wife and her Japanese parents. Although we had a friendly and helpful server, the food was not the best and expensive. The lighting was so dark we had difficulty in reading the menu.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatChristinaVIPDined on 4/18/2014My husband and I had sushi, which was o.k. Nothing spectacular, but not bad. There was no kid's menu, so we were forced to buy them a $17 and $19 meal, which was quite ridiculous for meals that weren't very good or very large. Our eldest had beef udon, which was not good at all. The meat was very "off" - not quite sure what it was. Our little one had a shrimp dish which was o.k. We will not be returning.
- Great find!JoEricVIPDined on 4/18/2014Was craving sushi and just pulled up what was around the area... Great food and service. Definitely going back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time RakubigskyDined on 4/5/2014We were very impressed with the service and the food (quality and presentation) on our first visit Saturday - we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014I had read the online reviews before I took my I-love-sushi nephew here for a special occasion and thus was aopreehensive about the quality of the food and purported slowness of the service. On both counts, I have only positive things to say! The food was well prepared, interesting, plentiful, and tasty. The service was prompt, with inquiries and assistance offered at all the right intervals. Check this restaurant out for yourself! It wasn't the best food I'd ever eated, but I would return without hesitation.Special Features:
- The usual experience at RakubetseypVIPDined on 3/8/2014As per usual, the food was great and the service minimal. While friendly, our waiter could not be bothered after he brought our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMattDined on 3/1/2014Great food. Good service. Couldn't have been happier with how it was considering being in Minnesota!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RakuDevaDined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed our evening at Raku. I had a dish with tofu and udon noodles that, although a healthy serving, I totally ate. Noise level was easy to visit in, wines are reasonable priced. The decor in Raku is restful and pleasant. The booth we sat in was getting a bit worn, with the dip in the middle where everyone apparently sits.Special Features:
- Unprepared for the Valentine's RushTCGirlDined on 2/14/2014We had a reservation for the Valentine’s Day dinner. When we arrived, we’ve been told that our table is getting ready and we can wait at the bar. We waited there for 40 minutes and they were out of pretty much everything (rum, bloody mary, etc.). After we got seated, it turned out they were out of the most menu items as well. We wanted to have a full dinner, but we ended up ordering sushi, thankfully they had those. Overall, the food was good, I loved the ambiance, but it was disappointing that they were completely unprepared for the Valentine’s rush- staff seemed disorganized, bathroom was out of soap, etc. Sushi were good, but not spectacular.
- It was fine for a last minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2014It was fine for a last minute valentine celebration. Service was slow. The restaurant seemed to be under staffed. Our food was good and the evening was enjoyable.Special Features:
- A respite from bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014After a series of disappointing culinary experiences in the Twin Cities, we finally got a break at Raku. Raku might have benefited from comparison, but only somewhat. Our weekend was salvaged and brightened by our dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was OK, not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Food was OK, not the best sushi I have ever had, but not bad. The service was HORRIBLE! It took 40 minutes to get our first drink and the bar was not busy. They were clearly understaffed and I never saw the manager or was offered a discount/ free drink for waiting. We also hadly saw our server during the entire dining experience. I would not go to this Raku again, but will go to the one in St. Louis Park.Special Features:
- Delcious Sushi!DatenightDined on 2/8/2014The sushi was some of the best we have had in the twin cities area :) Definitely recommend the restaurant for those that enjoy all kinds of sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service even when busyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/18/2014We were at Raku on a very busy Saturday night, and the service remained excellent. Our server was extremely fast and responsive to requests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitjackncokeDined on 1/11/2014I was not in a hurry on this Saturday night or I may have been concerned about the time it took to find parking or for the food to arrive. I also ordered a Jack and Coke and was served a Jack and Johnny Walker, which left a bad taste in mouth, but after that was corrected and our food began to arrive, the night got much better. I have had better sushi at other restaurants in the area, but the ambiance was nice for a date, the food was flavorful and we had a good night. The Tataki Steak appetizer was rather thin on the steak, but not bad. The Sassy Lady and Snow Thrill sushi rolls were both tasty options. While there are other places I might recommend first, I would not discourage someone from a date night at Raku.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really tryingFlemingMFDined on 1/10/2014The food wasn't as fresh as it could be (not exactly a minor point in a sushi place), the spice on the grilled item was not really there, and they were 86'ed on two different items on their menu we tried to order. Drinks took at least 20 minutes from the time of our order until they showed up at our table (not including having to go back for the glass of sake I ordered as opposed to the beer the server showed up with). Generally not at the level of professionalism I would expect for what we paid. The server was pleasant and apologetic, so a star back for that at least. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to return.
- Great ExperienceBobBDined on 1/2/2014We were looking for a place to take my in-laws to celebrate the New Year. Landed on Raku. Menu looked good so we made a reservation online. Fabulous food (and not just sushi). Also had scallops and salmon. Excellent presentation, as well. The staff were great. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were sat at a table nearSabbladDined on 12/31/2013We were sat at a table near a door which kept opening and it was freezing; I kept my jacket on all night. Food was fine but not spectacular and the server was attentive and took good care of usSpecial Features:
- Nice surprise!SanFranVisitorVIPDined on 12/27/2013Had never been to Raku before, though it's in my neighborhood. We tried it and loved everything we had. The rolls were tasty and plentiful, and my Salmon Salmon dish was delicious - salmon covered in crab and served with a mango avacado jalapeno relish. Tangy and hot - so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and BadhamiltonVIPDined on 12/21/2013the food was fine, and the waitperson was exemplary; but although we were among the first party to arrive--there were 7 of us--the orders did not all come out at once; other tables that had come in far later than we had been served before us, so that our dishes came out one a a time, over a period of about an hour, and after about a half hour before anything except water and beer arrived at the table. Intolerable. we were offered a dessert free as compensation, pretty measly. Someone in the kitchen does NOT know or care what they are doing. We will have to think twice before ever going there again and probably would not go because of this weird experience.
- Good food and overly energeticPurple8PrincessVIPDined on 12/20/2013Good flavors in a variety of interesting dishes. Something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality starts with great fishIanSDined on 12/4/2013This is some of the finest sashimi I have ever tasted. The fish tasted as if it had just been plucked from the sea and had the suppleness of silk. This does not happen by accident, this happens by ruthless selection of the finest catches and only serving the freshest of the fresh. An outstanding find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok serviceCammithaVIPDined on 11/8/2013Went there for a happy hour on Friday. We were there at 430. the restaurant was almost empty and the server didn't really seem interested in helping us. She was cordial at best, but did not get a friendly vibe at all. We got 4 rolls nod they were good. There was no music playing for the first half hour we were there and it seemed to make the ambiance a bit awkward. They were also out of one of their wines on the menu. I may go back, but it would not be my first choice in the 50th and France area.
- Best for Sushi LoversOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2013My daughter enjoyed her sushi, and that's probably what you should have to eat there. I don't like sushi so I tried their Teppanyaki dinner. It was so disappointing...it really seemed like something you would get at a Perkins or something like that. The flavor was just OK, the portion size was small, the vegetables didn't seem fresh. They also served a shrimp sauce that was not shrimp sauce, not even close. I would pass on going back.
- Dinner before movieMMBCGDined on 10/23/2013Wednesday evening dinner before a movie at the Edina Theater was excellent. Great sushi; good wine; friendly staff and quiet to be able to have conversation. Would definitely recommend it to anyone and dine there again.Special Features:
- The food was mediocre. ItMizMplsDined on 9/26/2013The food was mediocre. It lacked flavor compared to other Japanese restaurants.
- Nice Night OutRockingrooftopDined on 9/6/2013We had a great time at Raku - the rolls, sushi and sashimi were phenomenal but the Amazing Tuna Dumpling truly lived up to it's name. As a New York and LA resident and some that's eaten his fair share of sushi in some nice places this may have been the best or close to the best thing I have ever had. Get it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2013This was our second visit to Raku. This time we brought our exchange student from Japan. She was very excited to have quality Japanese food, and felt that it was very similar to the food she would have had at home. We enjoyed the quiet, friendly atmosphere, which made it easy to visit and relax. The prices are affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Recommend visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2013Good food. Recommend visiting Monday to Thursday when the restaurant isn't so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi before a movie!KaoKDined on 6/14/2013The decor wasn't to my taste but the food was! I think its an excellent place for a sushi dinner before going to the cinema!Special Features: