Raku Sushi - West End
5371 W 16th St
Saint Louis Park, MN 55416Neighborhood:
St. Louis Park
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Raku Sushi - West End
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rakumn.com/westend/westend.html
- Phone: (952) 378-1803
- Hours of Operation:
Fridays & Saturdays only phone reservations are welcomed, no online reservation
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Raku Sushi - West End
Raku Sushi and Lounge, featuring the finest selection of new style Japanese cuisine along with traditional favorites. Extensive sake, wine and cocktail list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Raku Sushi - West End reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (14)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (10)romantic (6)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great menuStJoBeDined on 11/22/2014Had a reservation for a table and was seated at the sushi bar, which was very entertaining to see the sushi being made and what others were ordering. Sam was great about making sure we were taken care of. The food was great--lots of specialty sushi rolls, tough to choose which one to order.Special Features:
- danabeth1VIPDined on 11/1/2014loved all our sushi rolls, our place to go to get sushiSpecial Features:
- Traditional and fusion sushiBudgetFoodieDined on 11/1/2014This place is nice for a romantic drink at the bar, or sushi at the sushi bar, or dinner at a table with friends. The ambiance is nice and modern but still feels traditional. Lots of unique vegetarian options--sushi, noodles, tempura, satay, etc. My young son likes the food here a lot and he's super picky. They have a "tuna pizza" appetizer that is surprisingly delicious (if you like mild/not spicy). My gluten-intolerant friend could find hardly anything she could eat--gluten in places you wouldn't expect, so be careful if you have issues. Prices are reasonable. Nice bar/drink menu. My only complain was how understaffed their wait staff seemed to be, which really put a damper on our evening. But I would go again at a less busy time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Extremely slow service. Waiter forgot items for half of our table, and when we asked politely how much longer, he said we definitely didn't order those items. One item came out 45 minutes after everything else. Have had good experiences here before, but was not pleased at all last time.Special Features:
- Will be going back!RobinRVIPDined on 10/18/2014My first visit. Really very pretty restaurant. Lots of seating style options which is nice! Lunch was wonderful Edamame, Pork dumplings in red sauce, the One Roll all were super - service was attentive. Nice bar area and Sushi bar.Special Features:
- Excellent sushiSuperDimerDined on 10/4/2014The flaming Playboy roll is colorful and very tasty.Special Features:
- Kinda disappointingTiffanyBDined on 10/1/2014Came for lunch, it was very blah and tasted like grocery store sushi. It was also dead in there - only about one other table - so, not a good sign.
- to many rules regarding couponscoatVIPDined on 9/3/2014my open table restaurant reservation was cancelled when I said that I had a groupon. My food arrived cold The waiter told me what amount to tip him onSpecial Features:
- Overall greatSushiisyummyDined on 8/30/2014My only complaint was that when I arrived I was told I did not have a reservation. They were luckly still able to seat us right away. But I was not pleased that the reservation I made on Friday and confirmed on Friday was not there on Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that great!feisty54Dined on 8/17/2014We were greeted by a guy who was on the phone and wanted to seat us as 2. We had reservations for 4. No one picked up on the reservation apparently. The booth table seemed small and hardly adequate for 4 people. The app's we ordered were great and we got more lettuce and sauce when asked for. Then our entrees arrived. My shrimp tempura was actually cold, although good otherwise. My husband said his entree was bland. Our daughter and her husband said their sushi was good. All in all, not exactly a high point in our dining history!
- Great sushiHungrymanDined on 8/16/2014We had three different rolls and all of them were awesome! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinggivemesushiDined on 8/12/2014Sushi, ambiance, and service were all terrific! Our server, Joe, was outstanding! I will return and have the White Russian Roll again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tha art of makiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014The sushi here is outstanding and my personal favorite is art of maki. The fried rice is good but has a bit to much fried taste, like the oil may be over heated. The service can be great but occasionally inconsistent. This night our first server was in such a hurry she rushed us through, was late in getting us one of our dishes, then quickly cashed us out. Our second server was attentive, gracious, and timed his approaches exceedingly well. Overall I would recommend to anyone and will frequent often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We had great sushi and a great server. He brought us free dessert for the birthday girls! Good wine list and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 92 reviews are from the Raku Sushi - West End reviews archive.
- Great sushisugar17820Dined on 7/29/2014the menu was so big that i had a hard time trying to figure out which rolls to get. it was great!Special Features:
- Worth the tripLateNightDinerVIPDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed some great sushi on a beautiful night for outdoor dining. Our server made several recommendations from the specials list and they were very good. Raku is easy to find, with lots of FREE parking. We love the West End restaurants.Special Features:
- Fun new placedservDined on 7/9/2014I saw this opened recently and was in the mood for sushi. The interior looked very unique and cool but I chose to sit outside since it was a nice day out. Since it was by a busy street, the outdoor ambiance wasn't the greatest but the sushi was still good. Missed happy hour by 20 minutes, bummer.Special Features:
- Great sushi and serviceicarryDined on 7/5/2014Sushi was the best we have had in the twin cites. servers were excellent. we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sushi & ServiceLukeyB27VIPDined on 6/27/2014We've been here a couple times now - once inside just myself and my wife, and once with our friends out on the patio/sidewalk area. Good good and service both times.Special Features:
- Great Birthday!samiraeDined on 6/4/2014Loved the table we sat at, which was part under the floor! Very nice ambience with the colors as well! Great birthday so thank you!Special Features:
- Raku is a great option inSOBEHSVIPDined on 4/12/2014Raku is a great option in the West End. Excellent sushi rolls and our server was the best!Special Features:
- Beautiful SushiJenn1269VIPDined on 4/6/2014Since finding Raku last fall, I have been consistently impressed by the freshness of the fish, the attentiveness of the waitstaff, and how delicious the rolls are. The presentation is always clean, and he arrangements different each time to bring the art of the sushi chefs to the table. Since I have moved from Minneapolis, but still go back once a month for business, it is one restaurant I absolutely have to visit each time I am there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi was great, stick to that!MissMtoPDined on 4/4/2014We ordered the Sassy Lady and the Captain Crunch rolls, they were both delicious. I believe we both thought that the Captain Crunch roll was more flavorful and complex, which made it tastier. Service was great! Prompt and diligent without being a pest. He worked fast and was very polite. Would come back based on service alone. We also ordered Yaki Soba noodles with Chicken, it ended up being kinda mushy, something you wouldn't expect from this type of an establishment, more so from like a small hole-in-the-wall. Never-the-less, we will be back for sure! Sushi and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, quiet at lunch timeBusinessandfunDined on 3/24/2014The sushi was very good, the service was very good, but the restaurant only had two other tables that were full with other guests. It would have been much more fun to have a few more people around during lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!AlbarinoWineGreatVIPDined on 3/8/2014We've always eaten at the Raku on 50th and France; this was our first visit to the West End location. Dinner was delicious and the wine was wonderful!Special Features:
- Favorite Sushi Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2014Having recently moved to Minneapolis, I've been looking for a great sushi restaurant. I've tried 4 places in the area and this is by far my favorite. It is a little pricier than some of the other restaurants, but it is WELL worth it. Fantastic sushi, great cocktails and excellent service!!!Special Features:
- Food was ok but expensiveLemonyDined on 2/14/2014We had an excellent serve who was really friendly and did a great job. We shared four different rolls, and they good but were nothing special. Nothing was bad about our experience, but we've had better sushi for a lower price.
- Great vegan optionloveeDined on 2/14/2014I have a very difficult time of finding good vegan sushi restaurants (obviously my expections are set pretty low as it IS sushi, but veggie rolls anyone?) Therefore when I looked a the the menu and found great looking options across the board I was excited. Then I got the Raku Veggie Maki and found not just veggie rolls but a large variety of options rolled expertly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never going backJunphotoDined on 2/14/2014I've been there many times, and I saw this hostess for the first time, she and another girl who led us to a table, had no smile whatsoever, made a glum face. Good job Raku, both West End and Edina locations, need improvement on staff. Not even an authentic Japanese restaurant, it's a Chinese owned/operated Japanese style restaurant. I recommend Benihana, Sakura, or Origami.
- Pretty DecentJDobbertDined on 2/14/2014Not the best sushi I've ever had and certainly not the best price, but the service is incredible and the location can't be beat - especially for a nice dinner before a night out in the West End.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehFunkb4uDined on 2/1/2014We go to restaurants in this area after a movie at the Icon, and have been uniformly underwhelmed. Raku was no exception. On the upside, food was served promptly and was hot. On the downside, nothing was remarkably good, the sauces (for dishes that had them) were bland and starchy. Not worth driving to; if you're in the shopping area already it's not bad, it's just not very good either.
- Great food - who knew..LivingInSiberiaDined on 2/1/2014After walking past this place many times to go to the movies and Rojo - we decided to try it. The food was great and reasonably priced. Would go back again and the sushi is better than Crave at the next corner. When you walk by you can't tell that there are many people inside because the main room isn't visible from the sidewalk. We should have tried it many months ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time not the charmjmc1008Dined on 1/25/20141st time I went to this place I really liked it. The 2nd time the waitress didn't even know/understand the menu. She was not friendly at all. Asked for which rolls had eel and she had trouble thinking of which ones had it . ThenI asked for Tobiko and she brought me Tamago. We did get plenty of water so that was go. The food was also okay. Nothing to write home about. I hope they get their act together.
- Delish!LivesToEatVIPDined on 1/23/2014Had a happy hour function and they were super accommodating, unlike their neighbors across the street. Raku Sushi set up the bar area in a way that was more conducive for our crowd and we pre-ordered appetizers which they brought out throughout the 2 hours. My husband and I then had dinner after happy hour as we talked and didn't get a chance to eat. Had a couple rolls of sushi and it was delicious, especially the Captain Crunch roll. Service was also very good for both happy hour and dinner, especially considering we had so many people (35-40). We would recommend Raku Sushi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good lunch placedanabeth1VIPDined on 1/20/2014always a good lunch place to come for a quick sushi roll, good lunch pricesSpecial Features:
- Fabulous Sushi!Jenn1269VIPDined on 1/19/2014The service is great, and the sushi rolls are not only always fresh, but among some of the most beautiful creations I've ever seen! The selection of sashimi is also extensive, as is the non-sushi menu. Friends rave about their noodles, and the tempura batter is light enough that even "no fried food" dieters will eat some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient, enjoyable, choice.etchaskesherDined on 1/18/2014We occasionally go to movies in the West End complex and Raku is a nice dinner stop before or after the show. We ordered sushi and, though it was not the best we've ever had, it definitely good enough to satisfy our sushi craving. We enjoyed our cocktails as well. The service was not the best as the server felt rushed every time he stopped by and because of the noise he was difficult to understand. But overall, it was a good choice for the evening we had planned and we enjoyed ourselves.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiJamieDined on 1/12/2014The specialty sushi rolls we had were excellent. We went at noon on a Sunday, right when they opened up, and it seemed like they weren't ready for customers. Service was particularly slow, but once we got the food we were very satisfied. Try the No. 9 roll - very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedSavageDined on 1/11/2014The service was very average (forgot our tea and our appetizer) and the prices high considering how much food you get. The No. 9 Roll was minimal and not worth the $16 they charged for it. Atmosphere was not as lively as we had hoped for West End. Prefer Crave much more. As a new restaurant in the area, you would expect a manager to come by and ask how everything is but we never even saw a manager.
- I'll go back for another chance.DaveDined on 1/8/2014The soft-shell crab appetizer had very little crab in it. It was mostly rice and quite bland until you added the ginger and wasabi to it. The side salad was tiny, but flavorable. I was quite happy with my main entree, the shrimp teppanyaki. The house saki was way too hot and I actually used a glove to pour it. Nonetheless, I look forward to going back and trying more things from the expansive menu. It's called Raku Sushi, but there is so much more there. Filet Mignon and lobster? No problem. Our server was very enthusiatic and the decor is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.