1193 Denman Street
Vancouver, BC V6G 2N1Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.raincitygrill.com/
- Phone: 6046857337
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Robert Clark(exec), Jennifer Peters(chef cuisine)
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call Curtis Wong, Director of Catering at 604-616-7600.
- Private Party Facilities: Raincity Grill has a semi-private section that can accommodate up to 26.
- Private Party Contact: Curtis Wong 604-616-7600
A word from Raincity Grill
A lot of restaurants can claim they use local produce, seafood and meats, but Raincity Grill marches further: we tell you the name of the farm. A few examples? Raincity Grill is proud to serve you vegetables from North Arm Farm in Pemberton (98 miles away), pork from Sloping Hills in Qualicum Beach (80 miles away), chicken from Rossdown Farms in Abbotsford (50 miles away), Salt Spring Island Mussels and Salmon (off the waters of Vancouver), and greens from the Fraser Valley (86 miles away). Taste the locavore difference at Raincity Grill, the restaurant link to the best ingredients in the world: Vancouver’s own backyard. Located in the West End, on shimmering English Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Raincity Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (27)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (24)special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (15)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014While the quality of the food was great, the kitchen was very backed up and took a very long time for our food to arrive.Special Features:
- horribletavalua23Dined on 9/14/2014Took ten minutes for the server to acknowledge us. When he finally came he was totally high. His eyes were bloodshot and he didn't seem to have a clue what we were saying. We ordered a bottle of wine, which never came. Then he stopped by to tell us he forgot about it and that it was "crazy" inside. There were literally four tables that had people at them. The white wine came with no chiller. They just left the bottle on the table. The food was mediocre, lacked seasoning. When I asked to speak to a manager I found out it was our high waiter who was the manager. He returned after we ate to ask if we wanted dessert and told us that if we did to just flag someone down because he probably wouldn't be back because he's busy.
- A faded StarmomoDined on 9/7/2014Now i am going to sound old but as a visitor from out of town I was disappointed in my last visit. years ago RCG was on the cutting edge. I remember a ratatouille that made my heart sing . But this past night no specials on the menu just plain good fish. Not happy..Special Features:
- Great dinnerJpvvvvvDined on 8/29/2014Very nice. Great seafood and service. Excellent locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014We found the menu not to be large but very adequate. The service was very good, they had a good team work style. The wine list is not large. Found the cocktail list to be a little old fashioned. Our dinner tasted very good. We will returnSpecial Features:
- A True Neighbourhood GemWolfordVIPDined on 8/23/2014The Raincity Grill has been around for a long time, so it is easy to forget how good it is and how much it's meant to fine dining in the West End and Vancouver in general. Went there on a lark on a quiet summer Sunday and was knocked over by the superb food and gorgeous view. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PAM007Dined on 8/23/2014Had 5 for dinner and everyone had something different. The salmon was delightful and my son enjoyed the pasta. Perfect location -right at English Bay and a few steps from our hotel. Nice selection of wines. Enjoyed all the deserts. Made for a special night. Overall worth a visit!Special Features:
- Change brings disappointmentnonameDined on 8/16/2014We visited RCG two years ago and loved it--had the best mushroom pasta dish ever, paired with great wines, served by a professional and attentive server. We were eager to return, and very disappointed when we did. The food was fair to good, the service awful. The restaurant is clearly understaffed, with one server apparently waiting on our entire section. It felt like Denny's by the end--our server barely paused when coming by, our water glasses sat empty by the end of the meal. We wanted dessert but could not stand to stay longer. Shame on the current management for letting an amazing restaurant with a well-earned reputation decay.
- Wonderful!Tea42Dined on 8/12/2014Recently dined with my wife at the Raincity Grill and it was wonderful! Great food, great service at a reasonable price! We would go back anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCrackaJaxDined on 8/7/2014I brought some friends here to catch the view of the sunset while we chilled. The view wasn't as great as I might have hoped for, but the service more than made up for it. Amy managed to put up with our group of Luddites while maintaining composure and class, and while remaining extremely accommodating. Thanks!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- TikaDined on 7/31/2014It was a great experience for group, reasonable prices and good food. Casual and unpretentious environmentSpecial Features:
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Found the food tasty but without any "wow" factor. The beet salad was excellent with different tastes and textures. The halibut was bland and the vegetables and other highlights with it did not add much. A good evening with friends but the conversation far outweighed the food.Special Features:
- Good food but not servicesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2014The food was good but the service was not impressive. Our waitress did not remember our orders and slow. I took my boyfriend and his friends for his birthday dinner and I was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A study in indifferenceBeachguyDined on 7/11/2014We have loyally supported this restaurant over the years, but will not back after tonight's fiasco. We attempted to have dinner with out-of-town guests. After one hour, our starters had not arrived. Our server advised us that the kitchen had forgotten our order. There was no real indication that anyone on staff was particularly concerned by the situation. Many neighbouring tables appeared to be experiencing similar fates. Based on the level of staff indifference, we paid for our drinks and left. One wonders if there is a systemic problem. None of the staff appeared to be happy, and no one appeared to be in charge. The servers were constantly on their feet and moving, but seemingly to no end. An overwhelming disappointment.
- Overpriced and overratedapbouch1Dined on 7/3/2014Very disappointing dining experience. We were visiting from the US, and picked this place based on the number of positive reviews. The waitress didn't seem to be too familiar with the wine list, so we ordered a bottle of local Pinoit for 58 CAD that was served almost warm. The pork chop had the life cooked out of it, and was dry and hard to chew. My teenage kids ordered Fish and Chips that came with one piece of fish barely fried. Given how much the restaurant charged for the meal, it was way too much money for such average food.
- Always good!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/1/2014We celebrated our 10th anniversary here at it was a lovely evening. The service was outstanding - they even took a call from friends who had tracked us down to wish our happy anniversary and it was all done in fun. A great evening as always. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable valueLovetoeatwellDined on 7/1/2014All four of us opted with the early evening special for $30. The food choices were varied and our selections were very good. I had a cocktail, not from the menu, that was made perfectly and with no hesitation from the staff. Our server was excellent, we sat on the patio with the view of English Bay, we had drinks and dined with 3 courses each over a 2 hour plus period; we made a great choice dining at the Raincity Grill on Canada Day 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old FriendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014we go to Raincity Grill every time we are in Vancouver for a few days and are never disappointed. I ate seafood every night for five evenings and the Halibut at RAincity was the very best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaLuneDined on 6/15/2014Indifferent, inattentive service could not spoil good food in pleasant surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu not worth the pricefoodieVIPDined on 6/14/2014I was really disappointed with the food from the tasting menu, especially the dessert. The food was not that flavorful and the dessert was just sad. My husband's fish still had bones in it. The cheesecake tasted more like cream cheese and looked like 2 squirts from a ketchup bottle. My daughter's single fish & veggies was not fresh, the batter was really thick and over done. You can get larger portions and tastier fish & chips at Pajo's in Richmond for $10.
- Good overall experiencePreciousDined on 6/10/2014The food was truly excellent. To start, I had the albacore duo and my wife had the pea soup. For entrees, I had halibut and my wife had a vegetarian pasta dish. For dessert, we shared a rhubarb dish. Everything was fresh tasting and done to perfection. It was probably the best halibut I've ever had. The view is great. The service was very attentive. At first they sat us at a table by the bar, but then offered to move us to a window table. The only thing we didn't like was the size of the two "Scotch on the rocks" that we ordered. There was almost no Scotch in the glasses, yet they charged $7.50 each. It would probably be better to stick with wine at this restaurant. The prices are high, but worth it for a special occasion as it was for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating our Wedding AnniversaryjaghenDined on 6/7/2014I really found the idea that all the food I was eating was coming from within a 100 miles radius. Great food, great service, great view. Need I say more. We had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1004 reviews are from the Raincity Grill reviews archive.
- A sure thingMontrosersDined on 5/25/2014Raincity Grill is always a good choice for a quiet gathering ...more Zen than Scene. The kitchen is consistent so I rely on it when I have " new to Vancouver " guests. Nice intro to Vancouver's food scene. An easy , peaceful feeling....... Note: Use Valet Parking at The Boathouse , otherwise nearly impossible.Special Features:
- Beautiful viewSophiaDined on 5/23/2014We had a 7 course tasting menu (Groupon). Beautiful presentation! Food was sensible but not extraordinary ...Special Features:
- Incredible food, terrible service.ConstantFineDinerDined on 5/11/2014I brought my mom to Raincity Grill after hearing how wonderful the food is, and I cannot disagree with that. The overall experience was horrifying, from the start we waited 5minutes to be greeted followed by server confusing leaving us again unfreeze at our table, by the time we had a server we had fully made up our mind ordering our drinks, appetizers and entrees. Our appetizers (two salads) took 50 minutes!! My wine glass was covered in pop residue and although the server seemed just as disgusted as I was she replaced my dirty Glas with a new diety glass. I would go back, just for the food and expecting a long visit. The food was incredible; the best Cesar salad and beef tenderloin I have ever had, but worst service I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisasterSlowDined on 5/11/2014We were there for Mother's Day brunch. it was a set menu - should be very efficient. It took them 30 minutes to seat us and another hour before we saw the appetizers. All in all it took two and a half hours. The location and ambience are great, the wait staff were doing their best, but if you can't produce the food from the kitchen on time for a set menu, you don't have enough people in the kitchen.
- Huge Disappointment on a Big DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014HUGE disappointment to commit to a pricey mother's day brunch and to have incredibly poor & unfriendly service upon arrival, a long wait despite a reservation, drinks that came 1 hour after our reservation, wrong orders, forgotten orders and a long, painful wait for food. Clearly staff were over-worked but there was no attempt from the get-go to try and make it a pleasant experience. I know Raincity has good reputation and being open has hurt it. The experience also turned me off of mother's day brunches all together. The day prior, I was at a restaurant's opening where our lunch was on-the-house because they recognized the service was too slow. Yet in comparison to Raincity, it was fast food.
- Bad start, good finish.SHAWNDined on 5/11/2014The phone confirmation the day before informed me that there was a set menu (which was not posted at the time of the reservation) and 1.5 hours to complete the 3 courses. As it turned out the food was good, and because it was busy the wait staff did not hustle us out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mother's Day brunchAMBUDDined on 5/10/2014It was a beautiful Saturday outside, but Raincity grill was a bit dark and dim, and smelled musty... Having said that the food for brunch was great. The English Bay breakfast was sumptuous, varied and very tasty. I ordered scrambled eggs and they were some of the best I have ever had! However, the delicious French toast was made on a baguette because the restaurant was out of Brioche. A few things that could have been better - a faster response from the server, a quicker turnaround on the food after orders were taken, better coffee and non-alcoholic drink choices. All in all, it was a nice and relaxed atmosphere and the location is so, so nice. I've had great fish and chips out of their take out window and they are always great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service? #failDaveDined on 5/3/2014Very nice room with a limited but interesting menu. However, the service is terrible and quality of some of the food mediocre. My two partners each ordered split pea soup special to start, also each having Ceaser salad as main course. I ordered the tuna starter with beef tenderloin as entrée. We also ordered a bottle of wine. The wine arrived promptly. but the appetizers took about 20 minutes. They were very good. However, it took a good 45 minutes for the entrées to arrive, after the first course had been removed. My entrée was lukewarm at best and the potatoes were tough and tasteless. Desert took 20 minutes to arrive. Waitress was friendly, but stopped coming to our section as she had nothing to deliver - not well served by her kitchen.
- Disappointmentfood4thoughtDined on 5/1/2014The ambience here is lovely and we have had very good experiences here in the past. But our most recent experience was a disappointment. We had an interminable wait to be served and the service was less than friendly. As for the food, the squash soup was excellent, but 2 of the mains (the pork belly and the salmon) were OK but not exciting. The beef tenderloin arrived cold. The waitress was less than sympathetic but took it back to be rewarmed. It arrived the second time luke warm with the sauce starting to dry out. This time she offered to re-warm it again, or they could make him a new one which would take 25 minutes. They didn't charge us for one of the desserts, but at these prices, one expects much higher quality food and service.Special Features:
- Family of 7 - 2 strollersAlbertaBoyDined on 4/19/2014Great table by window, great service, very accomodating, drinks were very good, food was good, not up to our expectations from previous visits...my lamb cheeks were more saucy than tasty...caesar & beet salads were great. Felt a bit like we were rushed out, frustrating as kids were sleeping in strollers by then & would have topped off the evening to relax with another bottle of wine or drink....restaurant was not full so needing the table for a later res didn't seem like a motive...still a very good experience, just could have been the hilight of our weekend and fell short on the home stretch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired restaurant.GrandPoobahDined on 4/17/2014We did enjoy the staff, but were surprised at the limited menu choices. I order the Pink Salmon and my wife ordered the surf and turf. The most disappointing thing about the restaurant was portion sizes, I am comfortable with the usually smallish portioning in Fine Dining but this was a bit ridiculous, the pink salmon was two inches by two inches and a half inch thick. The salmon was over cooked and the placed some material on the crispy skin which made the skin soggy. My wife's surf and turf had 4 scallops, a small piece of pork belly (very high fat even for Pork belly) and a bizarre side. The Chocolate mouse had been scooped by the tablespoon and the meringue consisted of a few broken up pieces again no more than a tablespoon.
- Small menu, big flavourReadLisaReadDined on 4/6/2014I made reservations for a group of 6 of us for a Sunday brunch. Our table was terrific, the service excellent and the food delicious. The one disappointment was that on a menu of 5 brunch items they were out of French toast as well as one of the 4 desserts. When the choice is so limited, it's hard to have a back up. However the food was delicious and well prepared and worth the slightly upscale prices. I hope they get over the "deconstructed" phase pretty soon though. It doesn't need to try to be hipster, the food speaks for itselfSpecial Features:
- THIS GEM STILL SPARKLESOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2014In the words of Arnie S. "I'll be back" My wife and I had the tasting menu Saturday eve. The food was fanfrikkentastic. Eat there.Special Features:
- Seventh Heaven!FoodieVIPDined on 3/28/2014We had the seven course tasting menu with the wine pairings and it was truly an unforgetable experience! We HIGHLY reccommend Raincity Grille in Vancouver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seaside starleshladyDined on 3/21/2014great setting near the beach, have always enjoyed the food - would go back again and anytime.Special Features:
- Disappointing.TouristDined on 3/19/2014We went there partly based on this restaurant's reviews and reputation. This place is definitely trading on its past glory. For a restaurant in a great location, the room is dark & dowdy. The service was attentive but nothing remarkable. Did nor match the price point for the food. The food doesn't live up to florid descriptions on the menu. Our table had the salmon which didn't look great; the beef tenderloin which was accompanied by a mish-mash of stuff that cluttered the plate, and the special . Cooking was more to the standard of a talented home chef than a professional chef. The recent reviews on Open Table - are spot on the mark.. Vancouver has some great restaurants, this restaurant from my experience isn't one of them.Special Features:
- Beautiful gem!!!!JanetVIPDined on 3/13/2014When I looked at the web site, this place looked REALLY nice! It IS nice, but not stuffy. It is LOVELY. It is small and cozy! The food was amazing, the service was amazing and the setting in English Bay ! Go to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in our backyardcolleenDined on 3/8/2014Great find, even if it has been there for years. It was my first experience and I will definitely return. In the area of English Bay there are dozens of restaurants, with 3 big chains within 1 block of Raincity Grill. The menu is small but there was something for everyone. We were a party of 6 and tried all 5 entrees, 2 starters and 3 desserts. The service was great, efficient but not intrusive. It was a great place to take out of town visitors as the menu showcases local products.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.