2011 Ella Blvd.
Houston, TX 77008Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rainbow-lodge.com/
- Phone: (713) 861-8666
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday Thru Friday 11:00 am-10:30pm
****HAPPY HOUR 4-6PM TUE-FRI****
Saturday Dinner Starts at 6PM
Sunday Brunch 10:30-4 then Dinner until 9PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Kelly Boyd
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Exciting American cuisine at your own location. Featuring Texas Flavors, Gulf Seafood and Wild Game Mixed Grills. Executive Lunches Delivered.
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday nights in the Tied Fly Bar and on the Wine deck outside.
- Special Events: Patio Wine Series, every 2nd Wed. 5:30-7:30 PM $29 featuring 4 food and wine stations.
Sunday Suppers start at 5PM, Half Price Wines
A word from Rainbow Lodge
Well known and loved for gulf fish, wild game, steaks and chops, RBL features Lunch, Dinner & Sunday Brunch. Owner Donnette Hansen's attention to detail is reflected in everything from the comfortable Log Cabin setting & landscaped grounds to the seasonally changing menus. Insider's Tip: Go for the business lunch ($14.95-3 courses) or try the tasting menu at dinner. Sophisticated but not stuffy! Menu hits include Snapper on Risotto, Grilled Buffalo Tenderloin, Classic Lobster Thermidor, Lodge Smoked Duck & Butter Lettuce Salad. Veteran Chefs prepare Gulf Fish, Wild Boar, Duck, Quail, Elk and Beef With 3000 square feet of kitchen gardens, The Lodge grows many heirloom vegetables and herbs to complete special dishes. Brunch enthusiasts enjoy casual patio dining with 99 cent mimosas.Sunday Suppers feature half price wines by the glass. Live Music Fridays in the bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Rainbow Lodge - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
Rainbow Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
230 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (172)romantic (145)fit for foodies (120)scenic view (106)neighborhood gem (90)good for groups (75)notable wine list (70)great for outdoor dining (59)great for brunch (42)great for lunch (36)hot spot (15)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- Birthday special placeHookemDined on 11/21/2014As always, this is an incredible restaurant. The lobster is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has to be Ella's best kept secret.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2014We went for our anniversary and had a blast. We tried the 5 course meal. It was worthy. The place does not look or feel like Houston. Is like having dinner in Wyoming or Montana. Beautiful and Deliciousl. The wait staff is super attentive and the chef is really nice. A little bit noisy but that is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemDocBVIPDined on 11/19/2014Rainbow Lodge is a hidden gem. From the outside, it doesn't look like much. Especially given the surrounding neighborhood. However, inside is a whole different story. The ambiance is rustic Texas chic. And the menu matches perfectly. Contemporary American meets upscale Texas outdoor/game dining at it's best. I had venison, bison, quail, duck, and antelope... And that was just one lunch! The sides are generous and creative, but still familiar (i.e., Collard Greens w/bacon!). The portions are perfect, the flavors balanced, the service both warm and professional, and the experience is unique and enjoyable. I recommend Rainbow Lodge highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was wonderfulTheCriticDined on 11/14/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated our birthdays at dinner here, and it was one of my favorite experiences. We got there early so it was slow. Our server seemed to be used to something closer to silent service, but broke out of that shelll quickly with us. I'ma server so I like to be as welcoming to my sever so I have an opportunity to experience genuine service. I asked our server to keep us there until a certain time because I had planned a surprise party for my boyfriend. He made it happen and made me feel like we were in on it together. It was just fun! Now, during this experience the food could have been subpar and I still would have loved it. It's a good thing it was delicous! The taste of the wild, crab cakes, and the elk chop tasted and beautiful and they looked. Thank you for a wonderful experience. Oh! And the surprise party was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu sounds better than the food tastes....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014The Rainbow Lodge offers a unique dining experience with its hunting lodge ambiance, however I found the "duck gumbo" to be lukewarm and more like a mild cream soup. The ancho rubbed ribeye to be lacking in seasoning with a very confusing side of cold tomatoes and hot potato ( at least that was the case for me; four of my party ordered the ribeye and one person had a combination of hot potato AND hot tomato. That happened to be much tastier. The chocolate dessert was an over the top treat that was too rich for one (glad I had it). Would i dine here again...maybe. The young spinach and roasted beet salads both recieved rave reviews from my party.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/12/2014We went in for our anniversary. We requested to sit near the fireplace since it was a special occasion. When we got there it was extremely busy. When we asked why the hostess told us that they were having a wine tasting event in the dining room. The table we were taken to was in a walkway in the back of the restaurant. It was not a horrible location, but it was in a walkway and the table was so small the server had trouble fitting our plates on it. I feel like warning people that there is an event that will be utilizing the majority of the dining room would be nice. We would have gone somewhere else and had a better experience on our anniversary. That being said, the food was delicious and the service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014We had to wait about 7 minutes before a server came to our table. My fish was sent back because it soooo fishy tasting I couldn't eat it. My steak was very good. Just so happened I checked the receipt....they hadn't taken off the fish entree that was sent back...Mistake?..perhaps. Taking everything into account, I'm not sure it was worth $240. This was a Tuesday night and it wasn't very busy at all. Although our server was very nice, the service should have been a lot better for what we paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting & enjoyable experienceOnoGrindsDined on 11/8/2014Eating wild game is somewhat new to me, but if it's something you love then Rainbow Lodge will probably meet your needs perfectly. I had the South Texas Duo (Venison and Wild Boar). The Wild Boar was just ok, but the venison was very tender and delicious. The accompanying artichoke hearts with onions and jalapeno cornbread helped make my dish very unique and full of flavor. My husband had the mixed grill. He loved the quail, but unfortunately it was undercooked (along with the pork) so he had to have it refired. Overall the dinner was good, but with all the amazing local dining options I don't know that I enjoyed it enough to return.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerCAVacaDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I went for our anniversary. My wife doesn't like wild game so I was a bit nervous. We ate at 630 when dinner opened and the noise was minimal, very romantic setting and we had a great meal. My wife ate everything from bison and venison to a tenderloin for her meal. I was very pleased with everything the restaurant had. Dessert was incredible as well. The bar staff helped us pick some great cocktails before our meal. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StateCollegeCajunVIPDined on 11/6/2014The fried oysters as an extra was an outstanding appetizer, Valet parking is obligatory at night. Bad decision.
- Godd73OldDog73Dined on 11/5/2014Great business dinner with friends. Great food and wine. Food presentation was great. The food quality is excellent and the food portions ample without being overwhelming.Special Features:
- Lovely experiencechef2therightDined on 11/1/2014Our party of 6 thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience at Rainbow Lodge. The waiter was knowledgeable, articulate, and attentive. The food was plentiful and beautifully prepared. Nothing was over or undercooked. It was delicious. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014The lodge-like ambiance and the prime window seating for couples makes this a great date night location. The menu highlights game specialties and we were excited to try something new. Great quality, great service, definitely an all-around great experience!Special Features:
- Excellence!FoodieMusicLoversVIPDined on 10/31/2014We go to Rainbow Lodge when Bob Chadwick and Harry Sheppard are playing in the lounge. I have never dined in the main restaurant, as it is too far for us to drive unless we can hear some great music. However, the full menu - in addition to a bar menu - is available in the lounge. And we get Rose - the best server in all of Houston! Excellent food, great wine at reasonable prices, impeccable service, a beautiful view, and amazing music all combine to create a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014I enjoyed the evening as did my guests. We will be back. Great dining all around.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableChadVIPDined on 10/28/2014As usual, had a great lunch. The food is amazing - I love the game options, but this time went with the lobster and corn risotto which was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2014the bartender on Sunday afternoon was great it was our first time there and he really made us feel welcomed. Our server was also great food was hot and served quickly we had a great timeSpecial Features:
- First visitfcstDined on 10/25/2014We had not been to the "new" Rainbow Lodge. We were pleased to find it had the same character, food quality and service as in the previous location.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExerienceFlyGirlDined on 10/23/2014We were celebrating our 47th Anniversary. Meal was outstanding. Ambience is of a large/old hunting lodge. Menu items are most unique and the Wild Game Tasting selection is actually presented by the Chef w/full explanation of each item and preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint but $$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014We went here based on reviews from multiple sites. It is a great little place with a good selection of wines and food. However it was very expensive for what we ordered. The waiter also brought one wrong entree after he even made the selection for us. They took them both back but when they brought them back out the first one was cold, it got sent back as well. It wasn't crowded and he was an experienced waiter. Must' ve been having a bad day. We had 2 glasses of Merlot (random year and vineyard), 3 glasses of Riesling (random label, nothing fancy) and 2 entree's - $178 without tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantdmajtexasVIPDined on 10/19/2014Excellent brunch with a wide variety of choices, even for kids. Attentive staff..everything was a plus!Special Features:
- Rustic romantic dinner placeplatemonsterVIPDined on 10/18/2014It's a nice restaurant catering to an older set. Food is good but expensive.
- First time exp., not disappointed!JoeMtzDined on 10/17/2014I took my wife out on a "just because" date and she loved it. If the weather permits I would definitely chose to sit outside especially if your dining in the evening. It's just a nice and calming atmosphere. The quail was delicious and I also enjoyed the buffalo steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatLonghornDocDined on 10/17/2014wonderful experience. great ambience. attentive wait staff but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food not as good as previous timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Must have had a new chef. Food was not very good. My fiance and i bith got upset stomachs from it.Special Features:
- Always love Rainbow LodgeHoustonSoonerDined on 10/16/2014Our waiter had two lovely specials available, we each had one, AMAZING. The wine was great and he gave us space to sit and talk with no rush to leave. We go here often and it is never a disappointment.Special Features:
- Celebrating Anniversarydine4twoDined on 10/16/2014We had a very nice dinner, atmosphere was delightful. Will be back for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great.JR53Dined on 10/16/2014Always an enjoyable dining experience. A favorite when we are in Houston.Special Features:
- really good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014We requested a nice table for my husband's birthday which was delivered. Our waiter was up there with the best we have had. Very nice wine list. Now for the best part, the food. We are no strangers to wild game, and they did a very nice job with the appetizer Taste of the Wild - venison was very tender, duck sausage and lamb very flavorful. The baby spinach salad with mushrooms, pecans, duck, and quail egg was a good combo of flavors. The special with halibut and a vegetable pastry was wonderful as was the filet of beef. Finish it off with coffee and creme brulee - really great dinner, we will back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place.JesseDined on 10/12/2014Love this place. Love the service, the food, the ambience.Special Features:
- FantasticKyleDined on 10/11/2014Everything about it was great! Food, ambiance and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysWR920Dined on 10/11/2014My wife and I have eaten here many times in the past, and will continue to do so in the future. Service attention to detail, and food quality were excellent as always!Special Features:
- Off the beaten path locationSteakandWine60Dined on 10/11/2014We recently celebrated a birthday with another couple and really enjoyed the ambiance, service, & food. This restaurant used to be located on the bayou close to Memorial Park where Brenner's is now located. We had not been to this current location and wanted to try it. Two at our table had the Chilean Sea Bass, and one had the venison and wild boar under the wild game section. One had salad and gumbo. Everyone was pleased with their entree's and with the starter gumbo or salad. We did look at the dessert menu and they had some great options, so maybe will try dessert there next time, had other plans this time. They knew we had a birthday at our table and the waiter kindly brought out a serving of dessert with a candle for the finale.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014As always the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and informative. I had the trout special which truly one of the best dishes I have ever had in a restaurant. The view is spectacular and it rivals any in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texas Romantic stylesurfmelDined on 10/7/2014Presentation was great, but Duck as Chicken wings style?! The food wasn't so great, but the service and ambient are great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Great food, good service (a bit slow at times, but not a problem), beautiful view outside but we were sat right next to an extremely loud AC unit that came on at least 6 times during our 2 hour dinner and was loud and very annoying! Almost ruined the evening, otherwise the place was wonderful. Just don't get a table outside by the AC unit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the wow factorSid1577Dined on 10/4/2014I was hoping to find an old-school, special dining experience. Atmosphere is very nice - old restaurant with expansions done through the years. Great bar with views of the property. Sat outside - here is the big turn off - the air conditioning unit sits at deck level beyond a fenced area. It is so loud, we literally had to stop talking and wait for it to cycle off. This is a crime. I would move it because this one issue is more of a detriment than the food... Menu and food - great cocktails and wine list with fair pricing. Great entree choices. Problem - I ordered a filet. It was quite good, but the steak was presented on potatoes and peas - potatoes grossly undercooked and peas were raw. This is a crime - I expected better.Special Features:
- Great restaurantGameeaterDined on 10/4/2014Food and service was excellent. If you are a wild game eater, this is the place for you. Very nice. Scored big points with the wife for our 28th anniversary dinner. For the service and quality of food, the prices are very reasonable, better than most in this class of restaurants.Special Features:
- Wonderful PlaceOutDoorFoodieDined on 9/28/2014My girlfriend and I went to Rainbow Lodge for our 1 year anniversary and it was a great experience. We enjoyed everything from the large selection of wine to the great selection of food options. The food came out very quick and was delicious. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who would like to take their significant other out on a romantic date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timerAfirsttimerDined on 9/27/2014I really enjoyed dining here and the food was excellent. I went here on a date where we got to dress up and get out of the normal dining options. it was an interesting set-up as we were placed in the smaller room with two other tables who were close to finishing their meals. So after about 15 minutes they both left and we had the room to ourselves. The food was quick to come out and was delicious. There were a lot of fun and different options and I can't wait to go back and try something else. Overall it was a fun night. I am not a foodie so I couldn't describe everything I ate, but I do know that it was good.Special Features: