2011 Ella Blvd.
Houston, TX 77008Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rainbow-lodge.com/
- Phone: 7138618666x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday Thru Friday 11:00 am-10:30pm
****HAPPY HOUR 4-6PM TUE-FRI****
Saturday Dinner Starts at 6PM
Sunday Brunch 10:30-4 then Dinner until 9PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: M Valdez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Exciting American cuisine at your own location. Featuring Texas Flavors, Gulf Seafood and Wild Game Mixed Grills. Executive Lunches Delivered.
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday nights in the Tied Fly Bar and on the Wine deck outside.
- Special Events: Patio Wine Series, every 2nd Wed. 5:30-7:30 PM $29 featuring 4 food and wine stations.
Sunday Suppers start at 5PM, Half Price Wines
A word from Rainbow Lodge
Well known and loved for gulf fish, wild game, steaks and chops, RBL features Lunch, Dinner & Sunday Brunch. Owner Donnette Hansen's attention to detail is reflected in everything from the comfortable Log Cabin setting & landscaped grounds to the seasonally changing menus. Insider's Tip: Go for the business lunch ($14.95-3 courses) or try the tasting menu at dinner. Sophisticated but not stuffy! Menu hits include Snapper on Risotto, Grilled Buffalo Tenderloin, Classic Lobster Thermidor, Lodge Smoked Duck & Butter Lettuce Salad. Veteran Chefs prepare Gulf Fish, Wild Boar, Duck, Quail, Elk and Beef With 3000 square feet of kitchen gardens, The Lodge grows many heirloom vegetables and herbs to complete special dishes. Brunch enthusiasts enjoy casual patio dining with 99 cent mimosas.Sunday Suppers feature half price wines by the glass. Live Music Fridays in the bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Rainbow Lodge - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
Rainbow Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (159)romantic (131)scenic view (102)fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (80)great for brunch (56)notable wine list (49)good for groups (49)great for outdoor dining (44)great for lunch (43)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- AnniversarybumwheelDined on 8/31/2014Amazing experience! Every course was exceptional. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Diamond in the rough!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I was googling for a romantic restaurant for my wife and I to enjoy a nice evening together. Many results came up that didn't fit my expectations. When I read the reviews for the Rainbow Lodge I was compelled to try it. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to make my reservation online with little effort. Upon arrival into the building we knew that we were in a special place. It was beautiful and well kept. All of the employees we encountered were courteous and friendly. Our waiter was outstanding! The perepared meals by the chef were wonderfully presentable and delicious. It was the right portion, not over seasoned, and tasted fresh. It seemed that the wine list was endless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there...AndyNPRVIPDined on 8/30/2014It was a treat. I had heard so much about this place through the years. It was great to finally get there. Their duck gumbo was great. (You can even get it without the rice.) The Snapper was well seasoned and cooked properly with moisture still left in it. Their bread pudding and chocolate cake are great toppers for the evening. They are participating in the Fixed Price "Charity" Menu. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Business dinnerSRHCRHDined on 8/27/2014Lived in Houston for over 10 years and have never eaten at the Rainbow Lodge. It is a great place to dine from the atmosphere, the building, menu is terrific, meal was prepared perfect and service was fabulous. I will definitely use again for a business meal and will be taking my wife in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantmouseDined on 8/26/2014We went for my birthday and it was fabulous. I love game meat so I had the mixed grill as did 2 others of our party. YUM!!!!! All my favorite meats perfectly done. The other 2 loved theirs too. Another of our group got the rainbow trout and loved it. All portions were huge and everyone took their leftovers home. The wine list was very good and reasonable. Great service. Very quiet because it is broken up into lots of rooms.Special Features:
- It's been awhileEd24Dined on 8/26/2014It's been awhile since I had a meal there and it was truly missed. Everything was first class, service and the meal. Enjoyed the duck gumbo and the taste of the wild. I need to get there more often. Will be back soon. I do miss the Spring and Fall wine event we use to attend on Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicegirlDined on 8/23/2014great place for romantic dinner with your significant other!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!SgtSmithDined on 8/23/2014Second time doing the 5 course tasting. The chefs have always done a fantastic job. The service was excellent overal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmmmOzzYDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good. Waitstaff excellent! Cant ask for much more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KB's takeKeithVIPDined on 8/22/2014Just a great place. Food was superb, atmosphere and service outstanding. Duck gumbo and rainbow trout with fried oysters, my mouth is watering again...Oh, that bread pudding with bourbon...yes!Special Features:
- For an Unique ExperienceantchamDined on 8/21/2014Great food in an unique setting and charming structure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome TreatdoxiemommaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Incredible food and great prep. Salads were fresh and beautifully designed. Had quail, antelope and some in our party had the mixed game plate. Everything was fantastic and cooked perfectly!! Dessert was equally as good!! Had the Buttermilk pie in a jar topped with fresh blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Also had vanilla bean ice cream, strawberry sorbet and mango sorbet. Wow, really a fantastic dinner!!Special Features:
- So close...but so far.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I've had dinner here once before and it was great! I've also had friends go that loved it, but there was really nothing good that was served except the bread. It was very crusty and fluffy and everything you could want in fresh baked bread. We started with the taste of the wild, which came with a very bland rabbit turrine (I suppose it was rabbit, I couldn't tell), a bit of too finely ground boudain and a few slices of venison that were equally barely present. I had the duck "slow roasted". Morbidly overcooked. My wife had the spiced rib eye, which came rare instead of medium well, and tasted of beef and oregano. Hope it was just a bad night, the chef that was working needs to step up a fair few notches to be worth the cost.Special Features:
- Date Night with the HubbyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Early Sunday dinner so it was still quiet. I ordered off HRW menu. Duck gumbo had a unique gamey flavor that I really enjoyed. Lighter than the traditional roux. Nice change though. Trout was a little overcooked but good flavor. Oysters were excellent. Flourless chocolate torte was perfectly sweet! Hubby ordered off the regular menu. I wasn't impressed with but he seemed to enjoy his crab cakes. The items I tried from his mixed grill; venison, lamb & quail, were excellent. Venison was both our favorite. For dessert, he had the bread pudding. I'm not a bread pudding fan but the bite I had was really good. He's not much of a sweet eater but he must have really enjoyed it because he ate every bite. Overall, excellent experience! Will be back.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerLoveRaysDined on 8/16/2014There were six of us dining with the Houston Restaurant Weeks. We were seated promptly. Drink order taken, water filled. Our server gave us time to check out menu and chat a bit before he took our order. Impeccable service and food. We had grouper, rainbow trout, short ribs, and pork tenderloin. All cooked to perfection.Have been here before and all is excellent. Never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Must experience!MonicaDined on 8/15/2014Tried the wild game menu - I had the antelope rubbed in ancho chile and jalapeno spoonbread which was amazing!!! One of the best cuts of meat I've ever had. Husband had the venison medallions and wild boar which was also very delicious. We couldn't decide on desserts so we got a little bit of everything which also impressed us - the goat cheese and mascarpone cheesecake, croissant bread pudding, and creme brulee. Pricing for everything was reasonable, and in fact, seemed more economical than other chain high $ restaurants.Special Features:
- DinnerHoustondinerDined on 8/15/2014This was our 3rd visit to Rainbow Lodge. Previously we had been there for dinner which was excellent and a brunch which was good. This experince was a let down. Food and service was just ok and certainly not enough to make us return. In addition, we were seated right next to the bar which made it quite noisy. We enjoy a variety of other restaurants in town much more for the same that we spent at the Lodge.Special Features:
- 39th Anniversary/Restaurant WeekRainbowLodgeAnnivDinerDined on 8/15/2014Restaurant week menu - The buffalo short ribs were amazing (however small portion). Buttermilk jar pie was very good (a little over sweet). The wait staff is top notch (the hostess tried to seat us at a table w/o a view initially at 6:15pm - very few tables in use at the time), but accommodated when explained special occasion). The noise was from a real estate party on the deck outside our window). This was our first time to dine at the new location. The new location (Ella Blvd.) is not as special as the original Bayou. However, the Rainbow Lodge is always good for special occasions, delicious food and very good service.Special Features:
- BillyBobDined on 8/14/2014I had diner there with some of my clients. Everything went perfect. They are still talking about the evening we had and said they want to come back here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some place DifferentCjandcjDined on 8/10/2014This was our first time here. A friend recommended it as some place romantic. It's definitely different. Would recommend trying it once: nice views, unique gamey food. We probably would not go back, not because of anything bad; just that if we are going to spend $100 per person, would prefer NICER steakhouse. We tried antelope and meat tray. Everything was delicious, but would rather save our money for Pappas or Kirby's. Someone had wrote review that their meats were better than Vic & Anthony's, etc....I think not. Just fun to experience once I think. Service was good, nothing extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014The food was great, but as a number of friends had mentioned to us recently, the service was not up to the standards of this level of restaurant. The server took 2 drink orders at a time (took order went to bar, brought 2 drinks, then took 2 more orders), there were 8 of us at the table. But, even then he forgot to bring 2 drink orders until he was reminded and then said, "oh you ordered?" All the staff attending to the table were sloppy in service — most likely due to poor training, not necessarily their fault. The managers need to do a better job of training the service in proper serving techniques and basic service efficiency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014The Service was extremely poor and when the food arrived it was average at best. Also parking is Valet only. Had i known this i would not have even considered eating at this establishment. The hostess and some other lady not in uniform helping the hostess were not very nice and seemed bothered when asked for change for valet. I would not recommend this establishment based on food and service. Which in my opinion are the two main reasons why anyone should go to a restaurant.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyFoodisGoodDined on 8/9/2014We came here for restaurant week - and for a nicer restaurant - I expected more. It took the server a really long time to get to our table despite the fact that it was later and not as crowded. They were out of the dish we came for - the short ribs - which was an immediate disappointment. I opted for the arugula salad (bland) and the rainbow trout - which was oozing with butter. The white corn pudding was good. The desserts were probably the best part of the meal. They do have great wines that aren't too expensive. Not really itching to go back anytime soon.
- DeliciousnessMcdseatDined on 8/9/2014Crab cakes for appetizer loaded with crab. All there apps are for 2. For dinner we had the ribeye and the mixed grill. Absolutely delicious!
- Great food, service & atmosphereJeffBDined on 8/9/2014Rainbow Lodge is our favorite special occasion spot. I love the gourmet touches on the wild game dishes, and my wife loves the Chilean Sea Bass. Service is impeccable. The waiter even remembered it was our anniversary and brought us a nice little complimentary desert plate with "Happy Anniversary" on it. I wish more places took care of their customers like Rainbow Lodge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!smatofcypressDined on 8/9/2014There is a romantic, rustic feel to this special place. We felt like we stepped into a luxurious hunting cabin, and the view from our seat overlooked a lovely garden style yard with trees, foliage and a stone pathway along a small faux riverbed. It was adorable. The food was amazing, the menu was unique, and the wait staff was friendly and professional. Everything we wanted for an incredible date night.Special Features:
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Went during restaurant week with our 3yo. Small portions but probably due to restaurant week menu. Food not too bad. My husband enjoyed the buffalo short rib. I had the grouper. Not the best but it's for a good cause. Good restaurant to try if you're interested in game meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music & FoodFoodieMusicLoversVIPDined on 8/8/2014We try to get to the Rainbow Lodge whenever Bob Chadwick and Harry Sheppard are playing their amazing jazz in the bar. We are never disappointed. The music is incredible, Rose is the perfect server, and the food is always excellent. The Spinach salad with balsamic compressed watermelon is the best salad we have ever had - EVER. The crab cakes are fabulous, as well. It's worth the hour drive we make to indulge ourselves at Rainbow Lodge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightVicreauxDined on 8/8/2014Nice menu for Houston Restaurant Weeks 2014 Best bread pudding ever!Special Features:
- Date Night SpecialtxtiemannDined on 8/7/2014I was pleasantly surprised, area is not the greatest to look at, but hidden behind the fences is a terrific dining experience with all the trimmings. Went for my anniversary and could not have asked for a more memorable experience.Special Features:
- Reid SReidDined on 8/7/2014Had a great diner here, cocktails were nice and there tasting menu is something to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightSmokedduckgumboDined on 8/5/2014Enjoyed the dinner and great service by our waiter (glasses tall male). Great recommendations and attention to our needs. Only bad spot was the hostess, young brunette. When greeting guests at least act like you enjoy your job and not try to judge the people walking through the door. Other than that negativity we had a tremendous time and will return. Great service and excellent food who could ask for more?...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We loved everything about this restaurant! It was so fun to try something different. We ordered the elk and antelope, which I'd never had before. It was very delicious! Beats a good steak any day! The wine was great! The servive was perfect! The atmosphere was unlike any where I've ever been, which was a treat! We had the bread pudding for dessert, so yummy! I only wish I could find a place like this in California. This restaurant alone would be a reason to come back to Texas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic GetawayFoodfortwoDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant is a beautiful getaway. With the low lighting, the beautiful decor, and great staff you automatically get tranced into loving the place. Unfortunately, since me and my partner arrived close to closing, the food did lack attention and we received a cold dinner . Fortunately the wine pairing was better than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting more.AnonymousDined on 8/1/2014All of the food was great. Some was truly excellent, but the service was lacking. Nothing was that bad, but I expected more of a dinning experience. No one's likes a stuffy restaurants (which this is) , but when your tip is easily $50 you expect to feel catered to. Instead we felt rushed. For example, we didn't order wine, so our server immediately explained the specials, dropped off menus, and left. I had to catch him to ask about the tasting menu, which he seemed to be trying to talk me out of. When he came back, he just tried to immediately take our order. I had to tell him that we would like to start with appetizers. The hosts seem to dislike their job and could really use a lesson in hospitality.Special Features:
- Overall: B+CasualFoodieDined on 8/1/2014I went with two friends for Houston Restaurant Week. The food was well prepared and timely. When we finished the one course, the next course was served in less than 5 minutes. Con: We asked to split the dinner bill and our waiter mixed up the checks. There were only three of us and only two people ordered a drink. Since the meal price was fixed for HRW, it was really a matter of getting the right drink on the correct card. We went to the outside patio for after dinner drinks and the same thing happened. Our waitress mixed up the cards. This time there were only two cards to deal with. Both waiters seemed disinterested and rarely checked in; we had to signal when we needed something. Summary: Food-Great, Atmosphere-Great, Service-OKSpecial Features:
- What great wild gameMikeVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food was prepared perfectly. We had a reservation and didn't need to wait. We were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieliciousvodvoxVIPDined on 7/30/2014Lucky me. I found another great restaurant while traveling. Houston does not lack for restaurants, so selecting a gem takes some work to sort for what I am looking for in a food experience. The restaurant is located in an odd location but once you enter the doors to the fishing lodge styled restaurant, it is very charming . Lets talk food. The smoked and cured meat sampler maybe the best I have eaten in any US city. There was duck, serrano ham, variety of sausages. It was accompanied with a ground mustard and worstershire reduction, nicely done. Yum!! My main dish was a porterhouse steak which was prepared wonderfully. Probably too much food, but there wasn't anything left on my plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnermckierDined on 7/29/2014Serves was excellent. The food was so good. Nice choice of food selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than a Tad Disappointed1966GrammaDined on 7/27/2014This new location didn't work for me. The small rooms chopped off from one another even with plexiglass windows or thin doors between them still makes one feel cut off from the entire restaurant. Sunday brunch was not too impressive with food choices one would expect when knowing their menu. The cheese grits were yummy, the carne asada tasty but overall unimpressive from what we expected. The service, we saw more of the bus boy than servers. Sadly we were left numerous times with empty mimosa glasses as well as water glasses. Perhaps this was due to being sat in a tiny room in the rear that was completely empty while the room we walked throughto get to it had several tables.