2011 Ella Blvd.
Houston, TX 77008Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rainbow-lodge.com/
- Phone: 7138618666x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday Thru Friday 11:00 am-10:30pm
****HAPPY HOUR 4-6PM TUE-FRI****
Saturday Dinner Starts at 6PM
Sunday Brunch 10:30-4 then Dinner until 9PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Kelly Boyd
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Exciting American cuisine at your own location. Featuring Texas Flavors, Gulf Seafood and Wild Game Mixed Grills. Executive Lunches Delivered.
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday nights in the Tied Fly Bar and on the Wine deck outside.
- Special Events: Patio Wine Series, every 2nd Wed. 5:30-7:30 PM $29 featuring 4 food and wine stations.
Sunday Suppers start at 5PM, Half Price Wines
A word from Rainbow Lodge
Well known and loved for gulf fish, wild game, steaks and chops, RBL features Lunch, Dinner & Sunday Brunch. Owner Donnette Hansen's attention to detail is reflected in everything from the comfortable Log Cabin setting & landscaped grounds to the seasonally changing menus. Insider's Tip: Go for the business lunch ($14.95-3 courses) or try the tasting menu at dinner. Sophisticated but not stuffy! Menu hits include Snapper on Risotto, Grilled Buffalo Tenderloin, Classic Lobster Thermidor, Lodge Smoked Duck & Butter Lettuce Salad. Veteran Chefs prepare Gulf Fish, Wild Boar, Duck, Quail, Elk and Beef With 3000 square feet of kitchen gardens, The Lodge grows many heirloom vegetables and herbs to complete special dishes. Brunch enthusiasts enjoy casual patio dining with 99 cent mimosas.Sunday Suppers feature half price wines by the glass. Live Music Fridays in the bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Rainbow Lodge - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
Rainbow Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (151)romantic (128)scenic view (98)fit for foodies (93)neighborhood gem (78)great for brunch (53)good for groups (53)notable wine list (52)great for outdoor dining (45)great for lunch (41)hot spot (16)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014It was amazing. Great food, great host. I would go back for sure!Special Features:
- Great place for a business lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Great place for a business lunch. Good food and service. Nice décor and noise level perfect for a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Setting, Dining, ServiceDinesoutalotVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have visited Rainbow Lodge many times over the years. Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, special events have all been outstanding. Food is unique and well prepared. Staff knows the menu. Managers are always helpful and work to make sure your dining experience is a good one. The setting alone is worth a visit. When we have out-of-town guests, Rainbow Lodge is top on our list of places to host them.Special Features:
- A Tad Disappointing1966GrammaDined on 9/14/2014Our party of 10 found ourselves looking for our waiter far too often. Our drinks were always needing refills & our plates filled the table since they were not cleared as we finished with them.Special Features:
- Excellent as Alwaysrac3rxDined on 9/13/2014We always enjoy our visits to Rainbow Lodge, and this dinner was no exception. The food and the service were outstanding. The atmosphere was a little louder than I remember, but it might have also been the area in which we were sitting. I had included a note in my Open Table reservation about the occasion being the birthday of one of our dinner guests, and they brought out a little something for him, which was a pleasant surprise. They do read your special requests. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking a consistently quality product.Special Features:
- DisappointedmoebirdDined on 9/11/2014Took Brother out for birthday and food was not prepared well. We have been there many times and will not go back.Special Features:
- Not the same as the Mem. locatEataliciousDined on 9/6/2014Crowd was older, really good wine list delicious bottles < $50.00. Rainbow trout was really good! Mixed grill had a very poor cut of lamb gristle etc. and was raw. Chef sent out 3 more pieces of lamb and they were delicious. Not the Memorial location experience but not horrible. Will spend my money elsewhere after the evening.Special Features:
- fan of the lodgepkjoinerDined on 9/6/2014great evening as usual always top shelf and Rose is also so professional and helpfulSpecial Features:
- Amazing Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We went for my husbands birthday and had an amazing experience! We chose the 5 course chef's tasting. The chef personally brought out each course and explained his vision for the course before we enjoyed it. The service was great, and the food was to die for. Would recommend for special occasions because it is pricy, but totally worth it! Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- RomanticDined on 9/3/2014Food was ok, but service was very bad, very slow. I noticed our server had 7 tables at one timeSpecial Features:
- Old favoritePhylly13Dined on 9/3/2014The Rainbow Lodge has been a favorite for years and the change in location did not affect the quality. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ResturantmodeljennreddDined on 9/2/2014I love it! It was my anniversary and I wanted to take my hubby somewhere then the norm. I Google search (whats a nice romantic place to take your love one) and someone mention the Rainbow Lodge. It was very peaceful and quiet. Not alot of people were there that night which made it even more special because me and my hubby can actually hear each other talk. Our server was nice and polite, she explain everything to us on the menu. The FOOD WAS TOO DIE FOR! We had the buffalo steak and it was so juicy and tender. The taste of the wild was good but I didn't like the rabbit or lamb, it was too rare but the deer with the prune gravy was delicious! It's pricey but you suppose to go all out for your anniversary. I love this place! It's my number 1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarybumwheelDined on 8/31/2014Amazing experience! Every course was exceptional. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Diamond in the rough!WeWillBeBackDined on 8/30/2014I was googling for a romantic restaurant for my wife and I to enjoy a nice evening together. Many results came up that didn't fit my expectations. When I read the reviews for the Rainbow Lodge I was compelled to try it. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to make my reservation online with little effort. Upon arrival into the building we knew that we were in a special place. It was beautiful and well kept. All of the employees we encountered were courteous and friendly. Our waiter was outstanding! The perepared meals by the chef were wonderfully presentable and delicious. It was the right portion, not over seasoned, and tasted fresh. It seemed that the wine list was endless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there...AndyNPRVIPDined on 8/30/2014It was a treat. I had heard so much about this place through the years. It was great to finally get there. Their duck gumbo was great. (You can even get it without the rice.) The Snapper was well seasoned and cooked properly with moisture still left in it. Their bread pudding and chocolate cake are great toppers for the evening. They are participating in the Fixed Price "Charity" Menu. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Business dinnerSRHCRHDined on 8/27/2014Lived in Houston for over 10 years and have never eaten at the Rainbow Lodge. It is a great place to dine from the atmosphere, the building, menu is terrific, meal was prepared perfect and service was fabulous. I will definitely use again for a business meal and will be taking my wife in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantmouseDined on 8/26/2014We went for my birthday and it was fabulous. I love game meat so I had the mixed grill as did 2 others of our party. YUM!!!!! All my favorite meats perfectly done. The other 2 loved theirs too. Another of our group got the rainbow trout and loved it. All portions were huge and everyone took their leftovers home. The wine list was very good and reasonable. Great service. Very quiet because it is broken up into lots of rooms.Special Features:
- It's been awhileEd24Dined on 8/26/2014It's been awhile since I had a meal there and it was truly missed. Everything was first class, service and the meal. Enjoyed the duck gumbo and the taste of the wild. I need to get there more often. Will be back soon. I do miss the Spring and Fall wine event we use to attend on Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicegirlDined on 8/23/2014great place for romantic dinner with your significant other!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!SgtSmithDined on 8/23/2014Second time doing the 5 course tasting. The chefs have always done a fantastic job. The service was excellent overal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmmmOzzYDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good. Waitstaff excellent! Cant ask for much more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KB's takeKeithVIPDined on 8/22/2014Just a great place. Food was superb, atmosphere and service outstanding. Duck gumbo and rainbow trout with fried oysters, my mouth is watering again...Oh, that bread pudding with bourbon...yes!Special Features:
- For an Unique ExperienceantchamDined on 8/21/2014Great food in an unique setting and charming structure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome TreatdoxiemommaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Incredible food and great prep. Salads were fresh and beautifully designed. Had quail, antelope and some in our party had the mixed game plate. Everything was fantastic and cooked perfectly!! Dessert was equally as good!! Had the Buttermilk pie in a jar topped with fresh blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Also had vanilla bean ice cream, strawberry sorbet and mango sorbet. Wow, really a fantastic dinner!!Special Features:
- So close...but so far.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I've had dinner here once before and it was great! I've also had friends go that loved it, but there was really nothing good that was served except the bread. It was very crusty and fluffy and everything you could want in fresh baked bread. We started with the taste of the wild, which came with a very bland rabbit turrine (I suppose it was rabbit, I couldn't tell), a bit of too finely ground boudain and a few slices of venison that were equally barely present. I had the duck "slow roasted". Morbidly overcooked. My wife had the spiced rib eye, which came rare instead of medium well, and tasted of beef and oregano. Hope it was just a bad night, the chef that was working needs to step up a fair few notches to be worth the cost.Special Features:
- Date Night with the HubbyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Early Sunday dinner so it was still quiet. I ordered off HRW menu. Duck gumbo had a unique gamey flavor that I really enjoyed. Lighter than the traditional roux. Nice change though. Trout was a little overcooked but good flavor. Oysters were excellent. Flourless chocolate torte was perfectly sweet! Hubby ordered off the regular menu. I wasn't impressed with but he seemed to enjoy his crab cakes. The items I tried from his mixed grill; venison, lamb & quail, were excellent. Venison was both our favorite. For dessert, he had the bread pudding. I'm not a bread pudding fan but the bite I had was really good. He's not much of a sweet eater but he must have really enjoyed it because he ate every bite. Overall, excellent experience! Will be back.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerLoveRaysDined on 8/16/2014There were six of us dining with the Houston Restaurant Weeks. We were seated promptly. Drink order taken, water filled. Our server gave us time to check out menu and chat a bit before he took our order. Impeccable service and food. We had grouper, rainbow trout, short ribs, and pork tenderloin. All cooked to perfection.Have been here before and all is excellent. Never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Must experience!MonicaDined on 8/15/2014Tried the wild game menu - I had the antelope rubbed in ancho chile and jalapeno spoonbread which was amazing!!! One of the best cuts of meat I've ever had. Husband had the venison medallions and wild boar which was also very delicious. We couldn't decide on desserts so we got a little bit of everything which also impressed us - the goat cheese and mascarpone cheesecake, croissant bread pudding, and creme brulee. Pricing for everything was reasonable, and in fact, seemed more economical than other chain high $ restaurants.Special Features:
- DinnerHoustondinerDined on 8/15/2014This was our 3rd visit to Rainbow Lodge. Previously we had been there for dinner which was excellent and a brunch which was good. This experince was a let down. Food and service was just ok and certainly not enough to make us return. In addition, we were seated right next to the bar which made it quite noisy. We enjoy a variety of other restaurants in town much more for the same that we spent at the Lodge.Special Features:
- 39th Anniversary/Restaurant WeekRainbowLodgeAnnivDinerDined on 8/15/2014Restaurant week menu - The buffalo short ribs were amazing (however small portion). Buttermilk jar pie was very good (a little over sweet). The wait staff is top notch (the hostess tried to seat us at a table w/o a view initially at 6:15pm - very few tables in use at the time), but accommodated when explained special occasion). The noise was from a real estate party on the deck outside our window). This was our first time to dine at the new location. The new location (Ella Blvd.) is not as special as the original Bayou. However, the Rainbow Lodge is always good for special occasions, delicious food and very good service.Special Features:
- BillyBobDined on 8/14/2014I had diner there with some of my clients. Everything went perfect. They are still talking about the evening we had and said they want to come back here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some place DifferentCjandcjVIPDined on 8/10/2014This was our first time here. A friend recommended it as some place romantic. It's definitely different. Would recommend trying it once: nice views, unique gamey food. We probably would not go back, not because of anything bad; just that if we are going to spend $100 per person, would prefer NICER steakhouse. We tried antelope and meat tray. Everything was delicious, but would rather save our money for Pappas or Kirby's. Someone had wrote review that their meats were better than Vic & Anthony's, etc....I think not. Just fun to experience once I think. Service was good, nothing extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014The food was great, but as a number of friends had mentioned to us recently, the service was not up to the standards of this level of restaurant. The server took 2 drink orders at a time (took order went to bar, brought 2 drinks, then took 2 more orders), there were 8 of us at the table. But, even then he forgot to bring 2 drink orders until he was reminded and then said, "oh you ordered?" All the staff attending to the table were sloppy in service — most likely due to poor training, not necessarily their fault. The managers need to do a better job of training the service in proper serving techniques and basic service efficiency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014The Service was extremely poor and when the food arrived it was average at best. Also parking is Valet only. Had i known this i would not have even considered eating at this establishment. The hostess and some other lady not in uniform helping the hostess were not very nice and seemed bothered when asked for change for valet. I would not recommend this establishment based on food and service. Which in my opinion are the two main reasons why anyone should go to a restaurant.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyFoodisGoodDined on 8/9/2014We came here for restaurant week - and for a nicer restaurant - I expected more. It took the server a really long time to get to our table despite the fact that it was later and not as crowded. They were out of the dish we came for - the short ribs - which was an immediate disappointment. I opted for the arugula salad (bland) and the rainbow trout - which was oozing with butter. The white corn pudding was good. The desserts were probably the best part of the meal. They do have great wines that aren't too expensive. Not really itching to go back anytime soon.
- DeliciousnessMcdseatDined on 8/9/2014Crab cakes for appetizer loaded with crab. All there apps are for 2. For dinner we had the ribeye and the mixed grill. Absolutely delicious!
- Great food, service & atmosphereJeffBDined on 8/9/2014Rainbow Lodge is our favorite special occasion spot. I love the gourmet touches on the wild game dishes, and my wife loves the Chilean Sea Bass. Service is impeccable. The waiter even remembered it was our anniversary and brought us a nice little complimentary desert plate with "Happy Anniversary" on it. I wish more places took care of their customers like Rainbow Lodge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!smatofcypressDined on 8/9/2014There is a romantic, rustic feel to this special place. We felt like we stepped into a luxurious hunting cabin, and the view from our seat overlooked a lovely garden style yard with trees, foliage and a stone pathway along a small faux riverbed. It was adorable. The food was amazing, the menu was unique, and the wait staff was friendly and professional. Everything we wanted for an incredible date night.Special Features:
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Went during restaurant week with our 3yo. Small portions but probably due to restaurant week menu. Food not too bad. My husband enjoyed the buffalo short rib. I had the grouper. Not the best but it's for a good cause. Good restaurant to try if you're interested in game meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music & FoodFoodieMusicLoversVIPDined on 8/8/2014We try to get to the Rainbow Lodge whenever Bob Chadwick and Harry Sheppard are playing their amazing jazz in the bar. We are never disappointed. The music is incredible, Rose is the perfect server, and the food is always excellent. The Spinach salad with balsamic compressed watermelon is the best salad we have ever had - EVER. The crab cakes are fabulous, as well. It's worth the hour drive we make to indulge ourselves at Rainbow Lodge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.