Rainbow Chinese Restaurant
2739 Nicollet Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Rainbow Chinese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rainbowchinese.com/
- Phone: 6128707084
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 2:00PM
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00AM - 4:30PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30PM - 9:30PM
Friday & Saturday: 4:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Tammy Wong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Tammy Wong and Rainbow Chinese Restaurant create a special menu for your next event. Please call the restaurant at 612-870-7084 for a free consultation and estimate.
A word from Rainbow Chinese Restaurant
Lighting up "Eat Street" for the last 23 years, Rainbow"s award-winning cuisine has something for everyone. Chef and owner Tammy Wong has a passion for food that shows in the menu, which features vegetarian and gluten-free options as well as fresh, local produce in season and a frequently changing selection of delicious lunch specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rainbow Chinese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2012Never disappoints for their food and the quantity that allows sharing. Sometimes the food service is actually too fast. So order appropriately
- Been going there forever,HelmHoffVIPDined on 8/12/2012Been going there forever, but had been awhile since my last visit. Some food had changed (egg rolls) and not to my liking. Kind of sad to see that as that was the main reason for my visit. Otherwise the rest of our dinner was as expected, which was good.Special Features:
- I went to Rainbow in a partyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2012I went to Rainbow in a party of 10 for Dine Out For Life. They handled our reservation flawlessly and the food and service were excellent. I'm definitely going back to try other items on the menu. Their potstickers were so amazing we had 2 orders of them.Special Features:
- The wait person was competentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2012The wait person was competent but rushed the dinner out before appetizers were half done, even after being asked to "take her time." The restaurant is LOUD and hard to talk. The food is EXCELLENT. Always worth a trip.Special Features:
- Good service bland foodAmeliaDined on 4/26/2012Appetizers were good but meals were bland and boring. Service was great and will go back for apps at happy hour but will not have a meal there again.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012We went with a group of 15 and they were able to accomodate us on a Saturday night last minute! It was so much better than I had expected. Our server made some great recommendations on food & drinks. Loved the Big Bamboo :) I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone!Special Features:
- We had a good time. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/10/2012We had a good time. The food was good but not spicy as it should have been.Special Features:
- I moved to the Twin CitiesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/3/2012I moved to the Twin Cities 6 years ago from Chicago and it's the best Chinese I've had since being here. Reminds me of the places I've gone in Chinatown. Food was fresh, vegetables were crispy and it was not salty. Inside was nothing to write home about, but went for the food. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- I'll keep it short - we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/18/2012I'll keep it short - we've never had a bad dining experience at Rainbow. The food always exceeeds expectations, and the service is attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Our table was ready - serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2012Our table was ready - service was great - very attentive and helpful. Able to have a nice leisurely dinner with very good food. Could also hear everything dining companions were saying without yelling. (Kind of surprised for a Friday night that it wasn't busier!)Special Features:
- Not the gem I remember fromOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2011Not the gem I remember from a few years past. Food was average, not piping hot as would be desirable, but service was quick. The noise level made conversation difficult, and some discordant music in the back ground detracted from what we hoped would be a special evening out.
- Excellent food; best ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/31/2011Excellent food; best Chinese I've had in a long time. I want to emphasize that the service from the wait staff was great. However, I would recommend that they improve their kitchen management techniques. We placed our order for appetizers and main dishes, but everything was brought to the table out of sequence (e.g., soup after main course) or simultaneously (e.g., soup with main course); in the case of the latter, one of them got cold while eating the other.Special Features:
- Good reliable chinese food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/27/2011Good reliable chinese food, good drinks. Great to have in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Change in standardsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/30/2011Oct. 2011: Something's happened to this spot. I used to crave going there and never, ever had average food. My last two visits have realized not-so-great martinis (so sad! I loved their ginger one) and truly nondescript food. MooShoo (sp?) pork was bland and pancakes dry, chicken stir fry dish uneventful, and white rice that was 'cool' temp-wise. I'm hoping the soup is still great ... we didn't get that. Will try it yet for that, but otherwise, I need to find another 'fave'. *sigh*
- Best Chinese in metro area!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2011Best Chinese in metro area! So many dishes to try and all of them have been good so far! Entrees are also huge and worth the money you pay. Highly recommend if you want a step up from the local Asian restaurant.Special Features:
- Good food - we especiallyMissRubyDined on 7/3/2011Good food - we especially loved the egg rolls and the sesame chicken. I wished my Hunan Chicken had more flavor. It wasn't very spicy as indicated in the menu but it was still tasty and the veggies were all fresh. The service was really great and the prices are totally reasonable. It was a little loud with a number of tables with small children but not bad. Rainbow is the perfect neighborhood place!Special Features:
- The Rainbow is a great neighborhoodMaxieDined on 6/25/2011The Rainbow is a great neighborhood restaurant for good Chinese food at very moderate prices. The steamed vegetarian dumplings are the best!Special Features:
- Only critique is we had aMo4sunshineDined on 6/25/2011Only critique is we had a coupon and forgot to present it. When we presented it later after they ran our credit card, they wouldn't redo the transaction for us. A bit of a bummer, but food is consistently great.Special Features:
- The food was good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2011The food was good but the service and server was ABSOLUTELY horrible. The server failed to greet us, check if everthing was good once the good came, refill our drinks and made us feel we were ruining her day by simply coming for lunch. After passively walking by our table a dozen times following putting the check down she interrupted our conversation to say, "I've been done for over an hour. Is there a credit card can run to close out the tab." I've come across bad service but this takes the cake. It was a slow Sunday and all the more reason for us to be treated (at the very least) like paying patrons verses hobos off the street begging for a meal. It's unlikely I will dine at this establishment again or recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- DisappointedmelmacVIPDined on 6/3/2011We went to Rainbow for the first time in quite a while. The food was okay - our table had one appetizer and three entrees; some dishes were definitely better than others, but the food was not as good as we've had the other couple of times we've been there. It was a Friday night and the noise level was quite loud. Our waiter barely had time to answer our questions; he was half turned away when answering as if already on his way. He also brought the check without asking if we wanted dessert, so we didn't get any, although we had been planning on it. He really was not good; I tipped him almost 20% but he didn't earn it. With so many good restaurants in the area, we probably wouldn't go back, unless possibly to try the happy hour.
- This is the best chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/14/2011This is the best chinese food ever. I have been in this restaurant for more than 10 years and the quality control is amaizing.Special Features:
- Comeback for Rainbow ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2011Rainbow Chinese used to be our Chinese restaurant of choice. However, over the past couple of years we have seen a decline in the tastiness of the food. We decided we really wanted Chinese on Mother's Day and were willing to give Rainbow another try. We could get reservations within an hour, a plus on that holiday. The food was excellent, especially the double sauteed pork and the hot and sour soup. There were a few snags in service, but the staff was apologetic. We will place Rainbow back on the top of our Chinese eating choices.Special Features:
- Hands down the best ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/8/2011Hands down the best Chinese food we have had since moving from San Francisco 9 years ago. We contine to drive here from western suburbs for their amazing food. Simply the best.Special Features:
- Great attentive service. OneBigDaddyVIPDined on 4/29/2011Great attentive service. One of the best Chinese reataraunts we have dined at.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/28/2011A friend and I chose Rainbow for DOFL - and many many other people did, too. It was busy but we had a reservation and were seated right away. I had the Curry Mock Duck with Broccoli and my friend had the Assorted Meat and Gai-lan Fun. We both very much enjoyed our meals. The surprise gem I found at this restaurant was their homemade Gingerale. YUM! Our server, though very busy, checked in with us regularly. We felt very taken care of. I am definitely going to eat here again and will recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- I enjoyed dinner at RainbowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2011I enjoyed dinner at Rainbow Chinese Restaurant with a friend for Dining Out For Life. The space was rather full and energetic, but not overwhelming loud or obtrusive. Our server was attentive and friendly without bugging us constantly. We ordered friend pork dumplings, spinach with garlic and mushrooms and a dish of pork and fried tofu with vegetables. Our favorite was definitely the spinach, which was cooked to the perfect degree of tenderness with a semi-brothy garlic sauce and portobello mushrooms. The dumplings were slightly bland without the inclusion of the sauce, but the doughy-crispy texture was perfect. The pork and tofu dish was also enjoyable, but not a standout. I would recommend Rainbow Chinese Restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- good food alwaysPauliteDined on 4/28/2011Always find something yummy on the menu. Lunch prices are very good deal. Susan is a very good waitress!Special Features:
- Not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2011Very dark inside, dishes not as attractive as online menu. Sorry to say that it is just an OK place to me. Will not come back.
- Rainbow Chinese is one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2011Rainbow Chinese is one of our all time favorite restaurants. Never disappoints. Food is delicious. Service is great. Big bowl noodle soups are to die for. Every menu item we've tried has be wonderful. We usually start with pan fried veggie dumplings and a Kettel 1 martini. Last time we had the green beans appetizer. It was awesome. The chicken in black bean sauce (with mein noodles) is great. The spinach and garlic with fried tofu is a wonderful vegetarian dish. We're not much for desserts. Our dessert is usually a pint or two of Spaten at the Black Forest down the street. Perfect combo.Special Features:
- FAVORITEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011I love Rainbow... their food, service, and atmosphere are by far my favorite on Eat Street. Would recommend for groups large or small!Special Features:
- Rainbow Chinese, a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2011Wonderful Chinese food with fresh noodles, great seafood and much more. Worth a try!Special Features:
- Still good after all these years!SweetmanVIPDined on 2/12/2011We hadn't eaten at Rainbow in perhaps 10 years. It's great to see that after all these years, it's still a very good restaurant!
- Made plans to go for the specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2011Made plans to go for the special New Year menu. Hoped to see rabbit in some dishes since it's the year of the rabbit - there weren't any. Maybe it wasn't practical? Wouldn't be authentic? That's not what was wrong - the special menu wasn't appealing. We ordered a few things off the regular menu and a couple from the special menu. Everything was safe and approaching generic, like the food has been dumbed down or thawed from a mass-produced package. The one big positive was the service. Our server was fantastic! The hosts were very good, as well.
- Disheartening Dining at RainbowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2011The waitress was nice but not overall welcoming. The honey nut shrimp was very disappointing The sauce was bland and not very much of it was in the recipe. The tofu stir fried rice was ok but the tofu was limp and the coating was very bland. The best food was the egg rolls. They were very good I was looking very forward to the food at Rainbow but it was disappointing.
- One of the best places inOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2011One of the best places in town for great Chinese food. Do not miss the Sczehaun wontons in black bean sauce.Special Features:
- We were celebrating ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/4/2011We were celebrating Chinese New Year so ordered off of the special Year of the Rabbit menu. The steamed shrimp tasted like it had been in the steamer for hour-- tough and the dish had no flavor. The tangerine beef was a gloppy mess. It was very disappointing.
- The new year's menu was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/30/2011The new year's menu was fantastic -- fabulous food, wonderful people and service -- very reasonable prices!Special Features:
- Horrible Horrible Horrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/29/2011Horrible Horrible Horrible! I can't believe this place actually got a good review. I'm not bashing the entire staff nor am I bashing the restaurant. I am, however, going to not reccommend this restaurant. Extremely small. Staff are incompetent. The waitress kept spilling water over our head and shoulders and she refilled our cups. Also, the waitress was being extremely rude; pushing us and arguing with the customer at the cashier, how unprofessional. The manager, more or less, was extremely unprofessional in a sense that they said some really unprofessional things towards our group. What ever happened to customer service? Customer's always right, especially when this group is bringing well over 300 worth of food to YOUR business.
- The food at Rainbow is neverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2010The food at Rainbow is never disappointing, but the overpriced, weakly-poured drinks left me feeling like I had been taken advantage of. Four Grey Goose sodas (short) set me back $32. Cost would not have been such an issue, but the vodka was unrecognizable. On this visit, we started with the pan-fried pork dumplings. The dumplings were served with a dipping sauce which was nicely accented with garlic. For our entrees, my date dined on the Singapore Chow Mei Fun. This mildly curried dish consisted of stir fried rice vermicelli with onions, pork, shrimp, eggs, scallions and bean sprouts. The curry was not overpowering, allowing all the flavors within the ingredients to come through. I dined on the chicken with tamarind sauce which was good.Special Features:
- Twin Citie's GEMOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/24/2010Superb. This little gem's award-after-award-after-award deserves each and every "Best of" recognition.Special Features: