Railcar Modern American Kitchen
1814 N. 144th St.
Omaha, NE 68154Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Railcar Modern American Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.railcaromaha.com/
- Phone: 4024934743x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Sunday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jared Clarke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to book your next catering. We offer catering from as little as 10 people to 500.
- Special Events: Contact Marie at email@example.com we can organize your next luncheon, business meeting, breakfast meetings, rehearsal dinner, wine dinner or holiday parties!
A word from Railcar Modern American Kitchen
At Railcar, we want to take you back to the classic American dining experience: Food that blends flavors from so many cultures, from all corners of the melting pot that is the United States. Food that warms your soul as it fills your stomach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Railcar Modern American Kitchen - Best Restaurants in West Omaha ›
Railcar Modern American Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (29)good for groups (27)great for lunch (16)romantic (13)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- 9/12/1409202013Dined on 9/12/2014The food was very good and came out in a reasonable time The waiter seemed a little confused on what was on the preset menu and didn't bring steak knives for the steak entree. He also didn't know what a decanter was for the wine, but did bring one-later but it was the first night of Restaurant week and we assumed there would be some glitches for as busy as it was the noise level was not overwhelming We will probably try it againSpecial Features:
- Great experience!BusyladyDined on 9/5/2014Food was great, service was exceptional. I will definitely be bCk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink and DinnermbhuntDined on 9/2/2014We were looking for a "new" place to try in West Omaha. Even though the restaurant is in a strip mall, next to a pawn shop, the inside will help you forget the location. I liked the concrete floor, black trim, wood tables (they looked like gym floors) and railroad art on the walls. The room is dark, lit with small lights and candles and the music was lovely. We ordered a craft cocktail, ribs and gnocchi, and 2 desserts. It was a relaxing meal, which is EXACTLY what we were looking for! We'll be back.Special Features:
- awesome foodawesomefoodDined on 8/30/2014Great food, service was outstanding, definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicedeb12Dined on 8/15/2014The food was very good. However the substitutions of Brussel sprouts for broccolli weren't noted until serving. The service overall was extremely slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food as usual.susieVIPDined on 8/13/2014Zach is such a good waitor. We enjoy coming to the restaurant just to have him wait on us.
- Great business lunch locationAwesomeVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great business lunch location in west Omaha to consider. Food is very good and the service is fast.Special Features:
- Right on trackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Great service and really good food. I'm a train freak so I loved the pictures. Reasonably priced. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatcrazyjensenhouseholdDined on 8/8/2014This place is one of our favs. Drinks and food are very tasty. The short rib stroganoff was perfect - tender beef, delicious gnocchi and a sauce bringing it all together. My MIL had a chicken sandwich and could not stop telling us how good it was. My wife had the night's special steak and savored every bite. We also had drinks. I had a Moscow Mule which was spot on. My wife had the "Nebraska Sky" made with cherry vodka and some other tasty liquors. It tasted like a chewy SweetTart. My MIL had the Orange Jalapeno margarita. She wanted two but knew she shouldn't. We all cannot wait to go back. But it was Peter that took the experience from good to great. We couldn't have asked for a better waiter. Simply awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodbarryDined on 8/7/2014My son wanted to try this place, so for his birthday our family went for dinner(all adults), shared a couple of bottles of wine. Plenty of selections in the $30 range. A number of unique entrees, the Asiago Chicken Shnitzel is awesome. Others in our group loved the food. Enough conventional dishes as well so anyone can get something they like. A burger connoisseur in our group had the Honky Tonk burger and loved it. Atmosphere belies the exterior. Shared a Mac and Cheese and wow different and delicious! Reasonable prices as well. Going back with friends soon I hope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceomahafoodieDined on 8/7/2014We went to Railcar for dinner. The food was amazing. My Aunt said that the veggie burger she ordered was "the best she's ever had". I had the rosemary chicken, which was delicious. Our server was great. He was very friendly, helpful, and attentive without being smothering. It is very much worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a tune-upraleeper23Dined on 8/1/2014There is great potential here, but there are a few more hurdles to clear before it can compete in the realm of Omaha's better restaurants. Our waiter, though I would enjoy having a beer with him, I'd rather not be served by him again. His knowledge of the various dishes on a relatively small menu was well below par. His timing was poor, our pretzel bread arrived after we finished our delicious crab bisque, even though we asked twice. The appetizers were truly tasty, but too small in size. I have had lunch here twice and was so impressed, I brought my wife and another couple for dinner. I'll stick with lunch.Special Features:
- Bring back train travelDocKDined on 8/1/2014The Railcar was a delightful experience. If Amtrack could duplicate their offerings, their ridership would quadruple. Service was prompt and caring. All our selections were wonderful. We gladly recommend this restaurant. Even in a "foodie" city like Omaha, this is a go to destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceLaradavDined on 7/27/2014I have had brunch at the Railcar twice during recent trips to omaha. Their food is always great, the atmosphere is unique, and the service is outstanding. It is a bit unsuspecting from the road, but a special surprise for those who go in. I highly recommend The Railcar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.SlimDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service without the pretentious vibe we've seen at other similar quality restaurants in Dundee and Old Market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I made the reservation online and was able to edit it after it was made. I was able to change the time in 15 min increments. Very easy to use. The food was incredible! Not too much seasoning like a lot of chain restaurants like to do. I would highly recommend if you haven't been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitdiningforfunDined on 7/18/2014We were looking for a different place to eat and found the Railcar. It did not disappoint. Our food was excellent, service top notch and all and all a great dining experience. We will visit again.Special Features:
- First visitDFrederickDined on 7/15/2014We had a birthday celebration and wanted to try something new. We read the reviews and took a chance on Railcar. We were more than pleased with food, service and overall ambiance. Our group of seven all had different entrees and everyone loved their choices. The Thai chicken flatbread was our appetizer and could have been a meal it was so good. Entrees from ribs, coffee ribeye, pork chops, crab cakes, chicken, and stroganoff was all fabulous. We also had a few sides in Asiago Mac and cheese, cauliflower hash and wedge salad all great. Also the crab bisque was popular too. The server was fabulous. Desserts..another hit with Cronut sundae being the favorite. We will go back soon.Special Features:
- AmbianceOlder74Dined on 7/14/2014It's a great place. My only complaint was that it was so cold in there. I needed a coat. The waiter did turn down the air but later I think someone turned it back up. We didn't linger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- railcar right on trackPaulDined on 7/12/2014A busy Saturday night did not phase the staff and management of this under-the-radar Omaha dining gem. Service was impeccable by an attentive and knowledgeable server. He allowed time for socializing and did not hurry us out when we lingered a bit over coffee at the end. The short rib appetizer, served on flat bread, was outstanding in flavor and size, enough for four without killing the appetite for the entree to follow. From the chicken fricasee and London broil to the the large and perfectly done hamburger, everyone was extraordinarily pleased with the meal. We even had dessert "just because." The apple/blueberry pie ala mode and the special "sundae" were ample and very satisfying. All in all, a great experience we will repeat again.Special Features:
- Hidden treasureFantasticoDined on 7/9/2014Hey there, I just met up with some work colleagues I haven't seen in a while and we wanted to go somewhere that took PayPal. Got to support my PP! That is how I found this jewel. It was on the list of PP accepted local establishments. If I had been driving along I most likely would not have been so intrigued. However, now that I have been there, it was so warm, friendly, and inviting. The inside is much nicer, richer and warmer than the pictures show. They have large spaces for groups. I had 10 in my party. The service was great and the food was amazing. I had the crab cakes and they were to die for. Better than the crab shack! I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- The food is fantastic.FishDined on 7/2/2014You can't go wrong with any in the dishes you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeeklypickDined on 6/27/2014First visit will repeat, server had great suggestion Thai flatbread, bursts of flavor, can't wait to share with friends and familySpecial Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantgatekeeperDined on 6/21/2014Food is good, atmosphere was casual and quiet enough to have a conversation. Our waiter was great.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner!TrackMomDined on 6/21/2014The Railcar is a great place for a celebration or a casual dinner with friends and family. The food was excellent and the service was very good. We really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualtulipDined on 6/21/2014I am never disappointed when dining at Railcar. Great attention to detail. Best mashed potatoes around! Prime Rib was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice JobOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Rail car was super yummy! They were out of the mac n' cheese but the fries made up for it! ThanksSpecial Features:
- great find!luvgr8foodDined on 6/15/2014Excellent brunch! Food was outstanding and the service was good! We will definately be back!Special Features:
- Flavorful!BKOmahaDined on 6/15/2014Railcar's brunch food was excellent and plentiful. The flavors were fantastic, though I would have traded some of the entree portion for a side (like bacon or sausage) with the ricotta pancakes and nutella french toast. I wish there were kids brunch/breakfast items, but they were happy to serve the kids lunch/dinner items at 9:30 in the morning. Also, the staff was very friendly and apologetic for the wait time, though it was not bad for a holiday (Father's Day).Special Features:
- Excellent food, outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014We loved the steak and our salads, appetizer, and side items were great! Our waiter was exceptional and the chef readily accommodated gluten-free options.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodfoodEDined on 6/6/2014We ordered 5 different items off the menu and each were prepared to order and tasted outstanding.Special Features:
- Solid Omaha FareRaskaDined on 6/2/2014The service was the best part! Great waiter who had a true enthusiasm for the food and drinks! Food itself was solid Omaha type fare - only disappointment was the "nice wedge" salad that was, okay, nice, but with Catalina dressing not what we expected and probably would not order again... sometimes the original recipe isn't broken so don't fix it. Rest of the meal was very good - especially the Cuban sandwich.Special Features:
- Just okayddmacDined on 5/31/2014Service was fine and our meals were okay. But just that - okay. The waiter was efficient, but lacking in personality. The food was the same. No pizzazz. There's little ambience; they really missed their opportunity to make it like a railcar.
- The following 194 reviews are from the Railcar Modern American Kitchen reviews archive.
- A new place to dinenight2dineDined on 5/17/2014The food was very good. I had the ribs and my wife had the pasta with clams & chicken. We were asked if we wanted soup or salad and chose soup (french onion & a bisque) However, when the bill came & I saw the soups were $6 & $7 respectively, I found this rather shocking. It was my fault for assuming the soups came with the meal, but, nevertheless, I found the price way too high -- more so than in similar & more upscale restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatersDined on 5/17/2014best prime rib we have had in a long time!! waitress was very friendly and didn't bother us too much but enough to meet our needs...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rail carHagusDined on 5/17/2014First time at the railcar. Food was good. Appetizers and salad brought out at the same time then we had a longer wait for our entrees. They forgot one of our sides and we had to remind our server. Nice natural light in the main area. We would go back.Special Features:
- Most enjoyable eveningsusieVIPDined on 5/16/2014Food was excellent as usual. Our waiter, Zach, was also excellent as usual. We really enjoy dining at the railcar.
- Great FindLuvNewplacesDined on 5/16/2014Looking for something new and we found this resteraunt, we had a great experience, food was wonderful and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day Brunch402foodieDined on 5/11/2014We had a great Mother's Day Brunch for 8 people. It was a child-friendly atmosphere with delicious and varied menu items. The food was up my alley as a foodie, but traditional enough that my father enjoyed it as well. The primary reason I downgraded my ratings was that for it being a holiday, it wasn't very busy, but still one member of our party didn't receive their meal until at least 10 minutes after the rest of our group. There was really no explanation for this either. We also only received 2 of their delicious croissants for our group, whereas another party of 4 I saw received 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely be back to Railcar!DoggerDined on 5/10/2014This was our first visit, after "meaning to go" for quite a while. The food was excellent, the service was friendly and professional... we will definitely be back. Give them a try!Special Features: