Railcar Modern American Kitchen
1814 N. 144th St.
Omaha, NE 68154Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Railcar Modern American Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.railcaromaha.com/
- Phone: (402) 493-4743
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Sunday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jared Clarke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Email us at email@example.com to book your next catering. We offer catering from as little as 10 people to 500.
- Special Events: Contact Jared at firstname.lastname@example.org we can organize your next luncheon, business meeting, breakfast meetings, rehearsal dinner, wine dinner or holiday parties!
A word from Railcar Modern American Kitchen
At Railcar, we want to take you back to the classic American dining experience: Food that blends flavors from so many cultures, from all corners of the melting pot that is the United States. Food that warms your soul as it fills your stomach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Railcar Modern American Kitchen - Best Restaurants in West Omaha ›
Railcar Modern American Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (25)special occasion (24)great for lunch (15)romantic (10)hot spot (9)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Comfort FoodLeihleVIPDined on 11/17/2014If you are looking for good comfort food, Railcar does not disappoint. Short ribs, coffee rubbed ribeye, burger and chicken schnitzel outstanding. Chicken and clam pasta was conplicated and too heavy. Next visit, the Nebraska Bison Meatloaf is a must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration at the RailcarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Had a small group gather for a very nice birthday celebration for a friend at the Railcar. Everyone's food was very good. The special pumpkin pie birthday dessert was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kelliedvDined on 11/15/2014Good food and great atmoshphere, but at one point another customer came in and slipped and fell on the wood floor as the hostess was seating her. The hostess did nothing to help the customer up and kind of nervously giggled. I dont know if there were any accomodations made for that customer, but it seemed a bit rude that no one really came over to her table to make sure she was ok. Also, the water on the floor that caused the customer to slip was not wiped up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Suprised!GhostmanDined on 10/31/2014Very good mix of unique foods. There were 6 people in our party and everyone enjoyed their excellent food. The service was very good and all entrées or explained in good detail. Will definitely return to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Service and food very good. There were 5 of us and everyone was very pleased.Special Features:
- I liked itBeeeDined on 10/24/2014I liked it even though I thought the background music was way too loud. Seems like most new restaurants are not considering that patrons might want to have a conversation. My meal was great. My companion did not like the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice night outomnivorinomahaDined on 10/17/2014We really enjoyed our first visit to the Railcar. An innovative menu sets it apart from chain restaurants. A courteous staff made us feel welcome and specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelySMILEDined on 10/10/2014Asked for a quiet table in the corner and got one. It was great. A little noisier than usual but the restaurant was full. Scallops were new on the menu and they were great. Could have been more tho and very few brussel sprouts. Everything was DELICIOUSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014First time here....all was very nice. The Bacon burger was tasty, but the bacon was pretty hard to bite through. Goof flavor though. Wife has squash dish and enjoyed it. Nivce ambience, and we'll be back. I want to try another dish though.Special Features:
- Good but . . .whgncgDined on 10/8/2014Overall, the food was good but nothing that knocked our socks off. The fries, definitely worth trying. One in our group loved the mac & cheese, another thought it was overpriced and under flavored. Scallops and brussel sprouts were good but not over the top good. Ribs fell short by being fairly dry, decently flavored but lacking in the juiciness you might expect from ribs. The rest of our party had burgers, kids steak meal. All fine for the kid crowd in our group. Decent food, prices were a bit on the high side for what you received but not out of line for similar type restaurants. My husband was not impressed with the wine list. The question is always, would we go back? Probably not with so many other choices available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The chef does wonderful menu changes for the seasons. Always great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice NightLindsayEDined on 10/3/2014Have been to Rail Car 5 or 6 times, each time food has been good along with the service. I would recommend giving it a try. The last time we were there, we ordered the cheery bbq ribs and the scallops special, both were great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riding the rails to Brunch.....LuvfoodDined on 9/21/2014We had not ever been to Railcar Modern American Kitchen, even though it is right in our neighborhood. That is shameful or, at least, a shame. It was comfortable, welcoming, and I love that there are separate rooms so that noise is held to an acceptable level. The food was excellent and the servers were very aware of needs without hovering. We ordered a wide array of choices with our party of seven and they were generous and nicely presented. We will certainly make Railcar a habit.Special Features:
- Nice supriseHuskerBrownVIPDined on 9/20/2014The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but once you step thru the doors you know you've made a good choice in giving this place a try. I was lucky enough to go on a Saturday, the only evening they serve their prime rib, and was quite pleased. Their smallest portion was more then enough for a very filling meal. The meat was full of flavor and was one of the top prime rib dinners I've had in the Omaha area. It's on par with the Pink Poodle but not quite up to Uncle Joe's in Grand Island. It's now my favorite place to go for good prime rib around Omaha. Oh, and the apps were very creative and the service was friendly and helpful. I'll be going back and taking some friends along.Special Features:
- 9/12/1409202013Dined on 9/12/2014The food was very good and came out in a reasonable time The waiter seemed a little confused on what was on the preset menu and didn't bring steak knives for the steak entree. He also didn't know what a decanter was for the wine, but did bring one-later but it was the first night of Restaurant week and we assumed there would be some glitches for as busy as it was the noise level was not overwhelming We will probably try it againSpecial Features:
- Great experience!BusyladyDined on 9/5/2014Food was great, service was exceptional. I will definitely be bCk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink and DinnermbhuntDined on 9/2/2014We were looking for a "new" place to try in West Omaha. Even though the restaurant is in a strip mall, next to a pawn shop, the inside will help you forget the location. I liked the concrete floor, black trim, wood tables (they looked like gym floors) and railroad art on the walls. The room is dark, lit with small lights and candles and the music was lovely. We ordered a craft cocktail, ribs and gnocchi, and 2 desserts. It was a relaxing meal, which is EXACTLY what we were looking for! We'll be back.Special Features:
- awesome foodawesomefoodDined on 8/30/2014Great food, service was outstanding, definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicedeb12Dined on 8/15/2014The food was very good. However the substitutions of Brussel sprouts for broccolli weren't noted until serving. The service overall was extremely slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food as usual.susieVIPDined on 8/13/2014Zach is such a good waitor. We enjoy coming to the restaurant just to have him wait on us.
- Great business lunch locationAwesomeVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great business lunch location in west Omaha to consider. Food is very good and the service is fast.Special Features:
- Right on trackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Great service and really good food. I'm a train freak so I loved the pictures. Reasonably priced. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatcrazyjensenhouseholdDined on 8/8/2014This place is one of our favs. Drinks and food are very tasty. The short rib stroganoff was perfect - tender beef, delicious gnocchi and a sauce bringing it all together. My MIL had a chicken sandwich and could not stop telling us how good it was. My wife had the night's special steak and savored every bite. We also had drinks. I had a Moscow Mule which was spot on. My wife had the "Nebraska Sky" made with cherry vodka and some other tasty liquors. It tasted like a chewy SweetTart. My MIL had the Orange Jalapeno margarita. She wanted two but knew she shouldn't. We all cannot wait to go back. But it was Peter that took the experience from good to great. We couldn't have asked for a better waiter. Simply awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodbarryDined on 8/7/2014My son wanted to try this place, so for his birthday our family went for dinner(all adults), shared a couple of bottles of wine. Plenty of selections in the $30 range. A number of unique entrees, the Asiago Chicken Shnitzel is awesome. Others in our group loved the food. Enough conventional dishes as well so anyone can get something they like. A burger connoisseur in our group had the Honky Tonk burger and loved it. Atmosphere belies the exterior. Shared a Mac and Cheese and wow different and delicious! Reasonable prices as well. Going back with friends soon I hope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceomahafoodieDined on 8/7/2014We went to Railcar for dinner. The food was amazing. My Aunt said that the veggie burger she ordered was "the best she's ever had". I had the rosemary chicken, which was delicious. Our server was great. He was very friendly, helpful, and attentive without being smothering. It is very much worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a tune-upraleeper23Dined on 8/1/2014There is great potential here, but there are a few more hurdles to clear before it can compete in the realm of Omaha's better restaurants. Our waiter, though I would enjoy having a beer with him, I'd rather not be served by him again. His knowledge of the various dishes on a relatively small menu was well below par. His timing was poor, our pretzel bread arrived after we finished our delicious crab bisque, even though we asked twice. The appetizers were truly tasty, but too small in size. I have had lunch here twice and was so impressed, I brought my wife and another couple for dinner. I'll stick with lunch.Special Features:
- Bring back train travelDocKDined on 8/1/2014The Railcar was a delightful experience. If Amtrack could duplicate their offerings, their ridership would quadruple. Service was prompt and caring. All our selections were wonderful. We gladly recommend this restaurant. Even in a "foodie" city like Omaha, this is a go to destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 214 reviews are from the Railcar Modern American Kitchen reviews archive.
- Excellent food and serviceLaradavDined on 7/27/2014I have had brunch at the Railcar twice during recent trips to omaha. Their food is always great, the atmosphere is unique, and the service is outstanding. It is a bit unsuspecting from the road, but a special surprise for those who go in. I highly recommend The Railcar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.SlimDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service without the pretentious vibe we've seen at other similar quality restaurants in Dundee and Old Market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I made the reservation online and was able to edit it after it was made. I was able to change the time in 15 min increments. Very easy to use. The food was incredible! Not too much seasoning like a lot of chain restaurants like to do. I would highly recommend if you haven't been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitdiningforfunDined on 7/18/2014We were looking for a different place to eat and found the Railcar. It did not disappoint. Our food was excellent, service top notch and all and all a great dining experience. We will visit again.Special Features:
- First visitDFrederickDined on 7/15/2014We had a birthday celebration and wanted to try something new. We read the reviews and took a chance on Railcar. We were more than pleased with food, service and overall ambiance. Our group of seven all had different entrees and everyone loved their choices. The Thai chicken flatbread was our appetizer and could have been a meal it was so good. Entrees from ribs, coffee ribeye, pork chops, crab cakes, chicken, and stroganoff was all fabulous. We also had a few sides in Asiago Mac and cheese, cauliflower hash and wedge salad all great. Also the crab bisque was popular too. The server was fabulous. Desserts..another hit with Cronut sundae being the favorite. We will go back soon.Special Features:
- AmbianceOlder74Dined on 7/14/2014It's a great place. My only complaint was that it was so cold in there. I needed a coat. The waiter did turn down the air but later I think someone turned it back up. We didn't linger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- railcar right on trackPaulVIPDined on 7/12/2014A busy Saturday night did not phase the staff and management of this under-the-radar Omaha dining gem. Service was impeccable by an attentive and knowledgeable server. He allowed time for socializing and did not hurry us out when we lingered a bit over coffee at the end. The short rib appetizer, served on flat bread, was outstanding in flavor and size, enough for four without killing the appetite for the entree to follow. From the chicken fricasee and London broil to the the large and perfectly done hamburger, everyone was extraordinarily pleased with the meal. We even had dessert "just because." The apple/blueberry pie ala mode and the special "sundae" were ample and very satisfying. All in all, a great experience we will repeat again.Special Features:
- Hidden treasureFantasticoDined on 7/9/2014Hey there, I just met up with some work colleagues I haven't seen in a while and we wanted to go somewhere that took PayPal. Got to support my PP! That is how I found this jewel. It was on the list of PP accepted local establishments. If I had been driving along I most likely would not have been so intrigued. However, now that I have been there, it was so warm, friendly, and inviting. The inside is much nicer, richer and warmer than the pictures show. They have large spaces for groups. I had 10 in my party. The service was great and the food was amazing. I had the crab cakes and they were to die for. Better than the crab shack! I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- The food is fantastic.FishDined on 7/2/2014You can't go wrong with any in the dishes you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeeklypickDined on 6/27/2014First visit will repeat, server had great suggestion Thai flatbread, bursts of flavor, can't wait to share with friends and familySpecial Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantgatekeeperVIPDined on 6/21/2014Food is good, atmosphere was casual and quiet enough to have a conversation. Our waiter was great.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner!TrackMomDined on 6/21/2014The Railcar is a great place for a celebration or a casual dinner with friends and family. The food was excellent and the service was very good. We really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualtulipDined on 6/21/2014I am never disappointed when dining at Railcar. Great attention to detail. Best mashed potatoes around! Prime Rib was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.