630 First Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rafinanyc.com/
- Phone: 2125322234x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday & Sunday 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00 PM - 4:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The professional staff of Estiatorio Rafina has a combined 30 years of experience and dedicated service for all your event planning needs. We can create a menu that will dazzle. Whether it be a birthday party, Bachelorette/Bachelor party, anniversary or rehearsal dinner - we've got you covered!
- Private Party Contact: Dennis Spilios 2125322234x
- Entertainment: Please come for live entertainment of traditional and contemporary Greek music at 10:00pm on Friday and Saturday nights. Dennis Spilios and his band will have you dancing in the aisles.
A word from Rafina
We are serving refined Mediterranean cuisine with Greek influences in an elegant and comfortable setting with additional patio seating in the Murray Hill area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rafina reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)great for outdoor dining (9)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (8)good for groups (7)romantic (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- A bit DisappointingSGFAVIPDined on 9/11/20141 st time to the restaurant with high hopes since it's just a short walk from our apartment. We were a bit disappointed. The service and hot Pita bread were very good, but the calamari appetizer was only fair and the octopus was not cleaned well.The main dishes were only fair. The baklava was delicious... Actually the best part of dinner!
- neighborhood gem!ebe9800VIPDined on 9/10/2014wonderful food, owner is also a GEM! a great addition to Murray Hill. Great service , food and ambiance!Special Features:
- Great food great funTasgeoDined on 9/6/2014This is a place where you can have great authentic Greek food and enjoy the very good Greek music that is being played. Fun for either small or big groups of people, it is highly recommended for a fun night with full of dancing and great food tasting.Special Features:
- Forgot how good this place was!WaltVIPDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food! Food was very fresh, very well prepared AND the martini was filled to the top! We hadn't been to this place for a few years but recently stated going again. My wife and I have been here four times this month and EACH time, the food and service was perfect!Special Features:
- TO BE OR NOT TO BEDEB1VIPDined on 8/2/2014My friend and I have dined here before and always enjoyed our dinner...last night was very disappointing... the baby octopus couldn't be any larger, and the grilled shrimp could not be any more tasteless. So could it be the chef is on vacation?Special Features:
- What a wonderful dining experience!RRRRRVIPDined on 7/25/2014Dining at Rafina is so wonderful. All entrees are delicious. We enjoyed octopus, calamari and shrimp casserole. Wine selection was excellent. Service was excellent. Gladly recommend Rafina to all!Special Features:
- Wonderful!!BreNYCDined on 7/19/2014My friends and I tried Rafina for the first time and it was fabulous!! The food was delicious and the service was excellent! I highly recommend Rafina for special occasions or just a great dinner out.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT AS USUALKYLEDined on 7/12/2014We have been here many times and everything is always excellent.Special Features:
- The following 133 reviews are from the Rafina reviews archive.
- Great Greek Foodfoodie2Dined on 6/14/2014Although a bit pricey, the food and service were both excellent. The room is pretty tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality ServiceMarkWDined on 5/4/2014Sun. 5PM for 5; Rafina was empty. It’s located near the UN, NYU, & ferry transport to downtown. Staff very friendly, immediately seated & tended our needs. Very nice setting; very clean. Server was attentive to 1 guest’s allergy needs. Grape leaf wrapped rice, sautéed spinach and hummus apps all delicious. Main courses included various kabobs & marinated chicken breast dish. All very good, chicken moist. Beef not as seasoned as expected. Meals came with a pleasant cinnamon walnut pastry dessert. Upon leaving met couple who mentioned that Fri/Sat nights the place gets packed and has live entertainment. Will try again with later meal time. Food quality was very good; but slightly disappointed in price for quantity of food on dishes received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the FoodMACNYVIPDined on 4/17/2014Went there to celebrate a friends Birthday who happen to like Greek food. We really enjoyed the food and service, but it was really quiet which is too bad. The bar is really nice, but wew were the only ones there! Food, however, is worth going to this restaurant. There wasn't anything we didn't like!Special Features:
- pretty restaurantmonieDined on 4/5/2014Food Was Overall Good Although You May Find Better Greek Restaurants In Astoria. The Oktapodi Could Have Been Better However The Melitzanosalata And Sausage Were Pretty Good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and DeliciousBarbieandKenDined on 3/29/2014Rafina left my Yorkville neighborhood sometime ago, but happily has reappeared 40 blocks south. We were so pleased to see the new large restaurant where the food is even bettert. There is an extensive Greek menu and the food is delicious. The portions are large and can easily be shared but whatever one orders is fresh. We were there early but we understand the time to go is after 11:00 p.m. when the music starts and the dancing begins. Sounds like a fun night to go to with friends. Valet parking after 8:00 makes it even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definition of mediocreAnniefreeVIPDined on 3/22/2014This resturant was a true definition of mediocre. Nothing was terrible. Just on the ok boarder. Service was very slow and spotty. Don't bother.
- Very enjoyableGladysVIPDined on 3/17/2014Restaurant is located all the way east on 1st Avenue. Parking garage across the street and on weekends they have a valet. Have eaten here a few times. The owner is a very charming guy. Food is always delicious. This time we went with a small group on a Monday night including a couple of foodies and everyone was very happy their meals. Fish and seafood very fresh. Prices are moderate and a very good value. Walking distance from NYU Medical Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemliketodineoutDined on 3/16/2014I went to Rafina for a family celebration. The place is spacious and beautiful. From start to finish, the service was great and the food absolutely delicious! The red and white sangria was a good complement to the meal too. If you're in the area, I highly recommend checking out this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/13/2014salty. Salad very fresh, meat very tender, veggies excellent, but way too much salt. I will go back, but will ask them to hide the salt shaker from the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live Greek Music Starts at 10:30pmMaggieVIPDined on 3/8/2014Went on a Friday night around 9:15pm. Service was fast, efficient, friendly. Food was fine, lamb chops were very good. We ordered a Greek salad without feta (which my husband dislikes uncooked), and then also ordered the spinach pie as an appetizer. Spanakopita came loaded with raw feta on top --restaurant should ask first. Greek wine list could use some more current choices--come on you can do better! Restaurant was slow until 10:15pm when there were some arrivals for music. Lights were too high making the place look really empty--sending a wrong message about food quality. Make dinner reservations for post 10:15 pm as in Greece on a Friday or Saturday night when there is live Greek music, and come with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Consistently Good ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2014I've had dinner at Rafina serveral times & have never been disappointed. The food is consistently good, ambience is lovely & it's one of the rare places to dine where conversation is not difficult. The staff & the service they provide is wonderful!Special Features:
- Great selection of entreesIEKGDined on 1/18/2014Great selection of entrees and appetizers. Appreciated the dessert wine served!!! Baklava was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very good Greek spotLuv2dineoutVIPDined on 1/9/2014All was very good, food, service, atmosphere. Fish was very fresh and well prepared and seasoned. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice GreekHedgehogVIPDined on 1/8/2014Peaceful atmosphere, tasty Greek food and friendly service - what's not to like? Of course it was rather empty the night we went so not tested under stress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good reataurantEaterDined on 12/24/2013I love this place. Food is great and the service is pleasant. The only time the place is packed is late evenings on Fridays and Saturdays, when REAL Greek people, most likely from Astoria, get together to enjoy the REAL Greek songs by the owner/singer. All other time, the restaurant is almost empty. If you like Greek food, and want to avoid the crowd and busy services, this is the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsDineAroundDined on 12/9/2013We booked a reservation here at the last minute and were pleasantly surprised. It was early on a Monday evening and there were very few diners. Thus the service was excellent, prompt, courteous and efficient. The food was prepared as ordered and the portions were sufficient. The dishes we ordered were tasty and cooked as described. Good local establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/7/2013The atmosphere is very nice and the live music late night is a lot of fun. The establishment has a great set up when considering the bar, the music and the people who work up front there. The food lacks good greek flavour. I am greek and know good greek food and this is not it. The wine list is a huge miss. Very little to choose from and extremely pricey. We paid $65 for a bottle of wine, which was the third cheapest, and it was a screw on top. The cost does not equal value here. I guess your paying extra for the entertainment which would be the only reason to go back here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- we a great time as usual,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/2/2013we a great time as usual, looking forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Outstanding!SusanDined on 10/23/2013The food is always excellent, as is the service, and the décor is beautiful and inviting. What I can't understand is why, each time I go, this restaurant is never crowded. In my opinion, it's one of the finest dining experiences anywhere. I've never had a meal there that wasn't wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterJARRITOS009Dined on 10/16/2013We ordered fish and mine was the Red Snapper which ordinarily usually runs big in size. Beforehand I did ask if it'll be big and was told it's around a pound. So upon arriving I see a puny fish that perhaps a teenager can get through rather than an adult male. Anyway, in the end Melinda made up for it by giving us a glass of port and complimentary dessert which was delicious. This restaurant seems to be struggling and hopefully it'll find its stride before it's too late.Special Features:
- Great Place to Know!nycdinerDined on 10/6/2013Have been here several times and each one has been a wonderful experience. Staff is warm and accommodating. Fresh fish...delicious appetizers...generous portions. Very pretty décor. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet nightRitaDined on 10/5/2013Celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary, food Was okay, restaurant not too busy due to Social events elsewhere the waiter told us. One Thing my wife orders pathaki as in the menu And she received lamb chunks. Music singers Came on after 11pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place was empty on a FridayMikoVIPDined on 10/4/2013The place was empty on a Friday night (only 2 other groups), which is not necessarily a bad thing - it was quiet and you could talk. But it took them 15min just to bring us a menu and water. We shared 5 appetizers. The food gets mixed reviews - some good (hummus, tzaziki, meatballs) and the fish and fried zucchini were too salty. We did get complementary baklavas, which were good (very cinnamony). Overall, it was ok, but I don't think I would go back.
- Hidden GemManhattaniteVIPDined on 9/6/2013Authentic Greek restaurant! Beautiful venue for a relaxing meal. We enjoyed every well-prepared dish. The fresh-made Greek flat bread was delicious. (We agreed that it would be a "bad" thing to have a stock of it at home.) The staff was friendly and very attentive. The only drawback might be the wine menu. They didn't have prosecco which I consider a standard staple at any fine restaurant. The rose was eh...OK. Their "A" rating is displayed on the glass door. Although I pass by this luxury apt bldg. 5 days a week on my way to work, I never took notice of it. I am so happy to have "discovered" it. It'd be a very popular place except for it being located very far east of First Ave. I recommend this place highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Greek Dining at RafinaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2013Had a wonderful dining experience with my husband and our friends at Rafina Saturday night. It was a perfect night for outdoor dining. We started out with a bottle of white wine, spinach pie, Greek meatballs and Greek salad with pita bread--all were delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal of shrimp with tomatoes and feta cheese all baked to perfection. The service was excellent and our waiter was very attentive. Anyone who enjoys or would like to try Greek food, Rafina is a must; and you have the option of spacious indoor dining surrounded by lovely classic Greek decor or outdoor dining with refreshing breezes from the east river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out. Dennis, theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2013Great night out. Dennis, the owner and one of the performers, was so nice. The food was superb. The live music was great. The service was A1. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special resturantAllure4meDined on 8/3/2013My son and daughter and I went to Rafina to celebrate our birthdays.- having lived in Greece years ago, I have great affection for the culture. Rafina was a total Greek experience. We loved the excellent food , live music and the efficient friendly service. ( wish we could have stayed another couple hours.) As the owner of a business myself -I appreciate very much that Rafinas owner personally greets and bids goodby to his patrons. It shows a level of caring about the guests which is unusual nowadays. The next time I visit my son in NYC we will surely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Local RestaurantjonbDined on 7/26/2013Delicious food, great service. We just moved to Murray Hill, and had passed Rafina a few times and always wanted to try it. Well my wife and I really enjoyed our dinner, we felt very relaxed and loved the fountain view. The grilled octopus was delicious and perfectly cooked and the Greek village salad was very fresh. The greek wine our waiter recommended was perfect with our meal. Save room for dessert, because the baklava is delicious and the chocolate mousse cake is heavenly. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2013I've frequented Rafina several times & always enjoy it. The ambiance is lovely, it's quiet so conversation is easy and the food & service are consistently good. It's become one of my favorites & I always recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicePJNYCVIPDined on 7/20/2013First time at this good Greek restaurant. Great food, but service was only "good" - considering how quiet the restaurant was, it shouldn't have been so hard to get a glass of water. But everyone was very pleasant, and the food was worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!SusanDined on 7/11/2013This is one of the best restaurants in the city. There is nothing negative I could say about it. The food, the service, the decor: all impeccable!Special Features:
- Party of 12 with kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2013We had a great time in Rafina with friends that came from Dominican Republic. Restaurant location is excellent. Easy to come from Time Square, Grand Central and by car. Plenty of parking on 38th street. Restaurant is very clean and quite. We booked up-front for 17 people using opentable.com and big table for 17 was prepared in the middle of the restaurant. Online booking worked very well, table was prepared and staff is ready. Waiters can speak both English and Spanish, we had no problem with plates explanations. Plates are regular size (not huge, not small). Food is excellent and delicious. Our party started at 6:00pm and finished around 10:00 pm. We had good time talking without any disruption. Kids were satisfied (and we had 7 of them).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.