29 Seventh Ave. South
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rafele.com/
- Phone: 2122421999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch :Monday -Friday :12pm - 3:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 12pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raffaele Ronca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for catering options.
- Cross Street: Morton st,
- Public Transit: The nearest subway stations are:
West4 on 6th ave where A,C,E,D,B,F,M trains are available and Christopher st station where number 1 train is available.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is also a public lot, corner of Morton st and 7th ave south
A word from Rafele
We are committed to offering fresh ingredients coupled with the most authentic Italian foods and wine available.Continued
We work closely with our farmers, markets, vendors and purveyors to bring you the highest quality of rustic Italian recipes created with a New York influence.
We work closely with our farmers, markets, vendors and purveyors to bring you the highest quality of rustic Italian recipes created with a New York influence.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rafele reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (98)great for outdoor dining (84)good for groups (62)romantic (60)special occasion (52)notable wine list (36)hot spot (28)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)scenic view (8)Show More
- Great Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We came during the day on the Greenwich Village Food Tour and sampled the Eggplant Rolatini, which prompted our decision to try to eat here for dinner. The place was booked up until 9 but we didn't care since we had just finished an eating extravaganza. We came early hoping to get seated and we did! Favorites of the night include gnocchi and ricotta cheesecake. Fabulous! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalSandramerleVIPDined on 9/27/2014exceptional food, outstanding maître d, this restaurant would not be the same without Pierro, he is so hospitable and clearly does an excellent job. Every time I have dinner here, I dream of returning for the phenomenal foodSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!DarlDined on 9/21/2014The food was very very good! Two of my friends had pizzas and they said they were fantastic. I had a salad and it was one of the best salad I had (even if it's just a salad!!). I recommend this restaurant for sure! The only thing we find strange is the «one bill» thing even...if we asked for a seperate bill, they said that the computer couldn't do it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real winner for relaxed meal.joburgDined on 9/21/2014Food was great but service was superb. Engaging, knowledgeable and super efficient. We sat outside and enjoyed street scene. Would just liked to have seen a few more serious Italian wines on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014After getting over the rude and disinterested hostess, things got better. My husband and I sat literally with another couple as this place packs them in. Had cocktails and a nice bottle of red wine. We told the server we wanted to take our time and after that he stopped coming by as often for our order! Calamari was excellent as was spinach ravioli. Rest was fine. Bread was slightly stale. Likely just re heated but should have been better. I would recommend and will return. Maybe better with a group given how crowded the tables are.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot-onJeffDined on 9/19/2014Excellent home-made pastas. Service is reliable. Prices are moderate. Definitely recommend Rafele for all dining experiences from a first date to a family dinner. Reservations advised on weekends, or else get there before 7:00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rick158Dined on 9/18/2014Chef's tasting menu was fantastic. Menu prices are extremely reasonable given the quality of the food. Definitely plan on going back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Food was delicious, nice presentation. Entrees are moderately priced. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good italianCamiDined on 9/11/2014We were welcome by a very nice girl. We had a lot of explanation from the italian woman, who was very nice. I recommand if you want to eat in a good italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian FoodrhswitzerlandDined on 9/6/2014Rafele is a very busy place. We were there on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was packed but the welcome was very friendly. We got a table downstaires. The Waiter (Eduardo) was extremly attentive and charming. The food was very nice and the pizza Rafele very delicious. If there is something that could be improved, then I would recommend to either extend the wine list or reduce the prices of certain super toscan wines... They are very pricy and some of them over charged... But overall I can recommend this place by full means.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian in West VillagenuthinfancyDined on 9/5/2014Originally, I dined at Rafele on the recommendation of a friend and was blown away by the entire affair. Excellent food, comfortable ambience, great service. Went back with my wife recently on a Friday night for a 10:00 dinner and was not disappointed. The restaurant itself was full and very noisy, so we opted for an outdoor table...probably not a great option either, since the noise level of traffic on 7th Ave, the subway, and pedestrians, all made it something of an overpowering barrage of sound. Still, the food and service were top notch. Go!Special Features:
- Every bite was worth eatingBunnyNYVIPDined on 9/5/2014My first time at Rafele - a great find. I recommend all the dishes we tried: Arancini- Crisp, not greasy, delicious Crostini con pate- A different presentation. The pate was in a separate dish, a light mousse w/honey in another. Baked flat bread on the side. The light/sweet mousse combined w/the pate cut any hint of "gaminess". Polpettine - The meatballs were so tender and complimented by a tasty light tomato sauce. Rughetta salad - Fresh. The combo of ingredients is unbeatable. Pettole Ragu - The tender lamb and the flat homemade pasta noodles were deliciously seasoned with rosemary and olives. It was too much food for 2 but every bite was delicious. Do yourself a favor and skip the bread basket to enjoy the great food.Special Features:
- BlahWehaDinerDined on 8/31/2014Have to admit, was pretty disappointed with the experience here. Staff herded us like cattle, dinner took a long time, wine was chilled in a fridge? Bizarre.
- Impeccable and friendlyArklausnerDined on 8/31/2014Rarely can you find high-quality food with equally impressive, personalized service. A top-notch experience from prosecco to tiramisu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find.snackcrackerDined on 8/30/2014Food was delicious. Had the spicy sausage and pappardelle special. Friends enjoyed the spinach ravioli and spaghetti dishes. The food was simple, yet very flavorful. Wines were a bit pricier than expected but good. Chocolate pudding dessert was much better than imagined. An enjoyable atmosphere and nice sidewalk cafe area, just a little noisy with trains running below.Special Features:
- Second TripRrubinVIPDined on 8/30/2014This must be an excellent restaurant as we returned to this restaurant after a short time
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Lovely Italian restaurant in a lively area. Good food ,service & value.Special Features:
- Good could be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Food was excellent, service was terrible. Had a drink when seated, watched the waiter walk by us over and over without asking if wanted another or needed anything. They finally brought us another at end of meal. Everyone was friendly, no one was rude, but being ignored did bother me.Special Features:
- Good italian foodcBiersDined on 8/28/2014We wanted to have italian food so we looked this place up. It's not too fancy/high class but the food is really good and the staff is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very goodBillrDined on 8/26/2014This place got great reviews but we did not think it lived up to the hype. We were not offered any specials although we heard them being offered to other tables. The wine was not topped up as often as we would have liked. The quality of the food was very average and very expensive. What I really object to is an automatic gratuity being added of over $50 and then asking for an additional gratuity on top of that. We were a table of three people, two people had pasta and no one had dessert our bill came to $350 This place is totally overpriced. America has a really bad tipping structure, a tip should be a reward for good food and good service. In America, you can offer poor food with poor service and still get rewarded - how stupid is that?Special Features:
- Very goodNYClover8282Dined on 8/25/2014First time went there . It was nice experience ! Meatball was awesome and pasta was delicious as well. Nice service ! My sister is vegan , she said Vegan food taste Soso . Nothing special . I loveeee my food though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LSalmansonDined on 8/24/2014Food was just ok, nothing special, and had hair in my dish. Service was really slow (kind, but really really slow).
- Outstanding serviceVet270Dined on 8/23/2014The service was great and the food is excellent. The wait staff goes out of their way to be attentive. The bread and eggplant is different and tasty. Highly recommend the pasta dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minutemissmelodyDined on 8/22/2014We were lucky to get these last minute reservations and crossed our fingers hoping it would be a good experience and we loved it!Special Features:
- Good placeEdwinDined on 8/20/2014The food taste is very good, nice place, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MARCODined on 8/18/2014Davvero un bel ristorante, bellissimo locale e ottimo cibo, buon rapporto qualita' prezzo del ciboSpecial Features:
- mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2014The food was just okay, the service was pretty bad. 2 hours for a meal for two people on a monday night.
- Vegan and Gluten-freeTheaterloverVIPDined on 8/18/2014From the outside, Rafele does not look like much. However, looks can be deceiving. Their food is very fresh and tasty. Most importantly, they have a special menu for vegans and people with gluten-allergies. And when my husband and I decided to split a salad and an entree, they split the meals and brought us our portion on separate plates. You can eat outside, like we did, but the subway does run right underneath 7th Avenue so you will have some noise. They also let me send back a wine and replace it with another one. Good service and good food means we'll be back.Special Features:
- Ottomo livelloFabioDined on 8/17/2014Dopo diversi giorni im Usa abbiamo finalmente ritrovato i sapori di casa ItaliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Italian foodCarolineFineDineDined on 8/17/2014I had one of the specials - it was Pappardelle with mushrooms and truffles and it was absolutely delicious. My only regret - that I hadn't eaten so much for my starter and main that I had no room for dessert. Would definitely come back here. Fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, easy to get to.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Rafele is a great find, truly authentic Italian food. Our experience was quite pleasant. Service was very good, our server was knowledgeable and very attentive. Portions were generous and prices were fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable experiencespanishinnycDined on 8/16/2014Perfect place for special occasion. Very friendly personel, from the manager to the all weiters. Excellent food, quiet ambiance, affordable price. Central location. Feeling like at home. Looking forward to coming back soon.Special Features:
- Our dinner at RafeleJameslucyDined on 8/15/2014Rafele's is simple outstanding. It's location in the West Village is perfect. Vibrant resturant reflecting the vibrant area. Food to die for. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local find!JeffVIPDined on 8/13/2014This was our second visit and it was even better than the first. Grilled octopus app was great, as was the seafood pasta. Mushroom dish equally delish! Looking forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRrubinVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is an excellent restaurant. The selections are good. They need to take a close look at the main dishes as to variety
- Average but unprofessionalKasperVIPDined on 8/8/2014Sit at the long table in front of the open kitchen and watch the salad chef swig down a beer while as he makes your appetizer while the the Maitre d' and other front-of-house management take turns running to the bread cabinet, grabbing rolls with their bare hands and shoving them down their throats as they try to obscure themselves behind some of the indoor foliage. By the time you get tired of this, someone may be by to take your order. Food was fine; pasta was average and heavy; octopus was much better. But it's a shame this place ranks up the top of Open Table. Says a lot about the ranking system and who may be manipulating it.Special Features:
- Authentic Amazing Italian FoodNYCMDEATSDined on 8/7/2014Tonight my husband and I had the pleasure of dinning at Rafele's restaurant and have been delighted by our experience. The food is by far the most amazing Italian food we have ever eaten. We have traveled to Italy numerous times and both my husband and I always compare the food and have come to the conclusion that we enjoy the food at Rafele's much more. The taste is always right, the atmosphere is perfect and the staff is superb! This is a place where the chef takes pride in his cooking. It's an art to him. How can you not love that combination? The pizza is out of this world, the fish, the pasta anything on the menu is a sure hit! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic & Exquisite dinnerIoamoItaliaDined on 8/5/2014I had my 50th birthday dinner here, all the way from Sydney! It was a fabulous experience as the food was divine - the Calamari was like no Calamari I had ever tasted, it was soft and infused with herbs and melted in the mouth, the fish was also herb infused and delicious. The waiters were very attentive and charming and when they heard it was my birthday they brought out a delicious chocolate mousse came on the house and made a big fuss!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/4/2014Such a shame-been a few times&whilst previously good,the last visit was disappointing.To start the MaitreD looked almost irritated to see us.We were then clearly sat between areas,as it took15mins to be acknowledged&be given menus.The food was good,but my friend ordered the scallops&was only told as the rest of our table's entrees arrived,that they had mixed up orders&had now run out of scallops-how did they not realise this earlier?They said they would make her the fish instead,which she accepted but had to wait15mins while the rest of us started.For dessert,we asked for the cheesecake&were told they had sold out.We declined other options but3mins later a plate of cheesecake arrived which were was complimentary.Nice gesture,but confusing!
- Gem in Greenwich VillagecaseyDined on 8/3/2014Chef's tasting menu was a 4 course wonder and reasonably priced at $45/person. We never felt rushed and the staff were genuinely friendly and attentive to our needs throughout the meal. Gluten free pasta was served with lobster and octopus, delicately flavoured with fresh ingredients. On the same plate, ricotta stuffed ravioli were topped with a simple tomato sauce, garnished with a basil leaf. This was followed by an entree of juicy, tender pork chop with sautéed snap peas and a melange of sautéed cauliflower sweetened with currants and fresh herbs. The rustic ambience was created with dim lighting, pots of herbs on side tables and the warmth of wood and bricks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.