29 Seventh Ave. South
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rafele.com/
- Phone: 2122421999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch :Monday -Friday :12pm - 3:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 12pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raffaele Ronca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for catering options.
- Cross Street: Morton st,
- Public Transit: The nearest subway stations are:
West4 on 6th ave where A,C,E,D,B,F,M trains are available and Christopher st station where number 1 train is available.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is also a public lot, corner of Morton st and 7th ave south
A word from Rafele
We are committed to offering fresh ingredients coupled with the most authentic Italian foods and wine available.Continued
We work closely with our farmers, markets, vendors and purveyors to bring you the highest quality of rustic Italian recipes created with a New York influence.
We work closely with our farmers, markets, vendors and purveyors to bring you the highest quality of rustic Italian recipes created with a New York influence.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rafele reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)fit for foodies (85)great for outdoor dining (71)good for groups (58)romantic (49)special occasion (39)notable wine list (29)hot spot (29)great for brunch (20)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (16)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (9)scenic view (7)Show More
- Great italianLee2italianDined on 10/18/2014Rafele is a great italian reataurant , went on a Saturday night and has a great atmosphere ! The food quality is sublime and the meat balls were superb ! Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat outsideDisappointed2014VIPDined on 10/17/2014Loved eggplant starter that comes with the bread. Very loud outside hearing subway go by.Special Features:
- NiceJohnVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great food and service for Thursday night around 8 PM. It was a bit hectic inside, with the open kitchen and almost full house, so we ate outside, was a great experience. Certainly recommend.Special Features:
- Our Favorite New York RestaurantTomboDined on 10/13/2014My wife and I love coming to New York to enjoy all that this wonderful city has to offer including our favorite Italian restaurant Rafele. We found Rafele's through the "Greenwich Village Food and Culture Tour" last year. As part of our honeymoon in 2013, we traveled to Italy after our stay in New York. Though the food was good in Italy, we felt that the food at Rafele's was even better. We just wish this restaurant was in San Francisco!Special Features:
- Good food and acommodating staffLenoreDined on 10/12/2014We showed up 30 minutes early for our dinner reservation but were seated right away with a smile. The host was friendly and helpful. We asked if he could turn the music down a bit, since we were sitting under the speaker, and he did so right away, again with a smile. However, we had many different waiters, and they did not seem to talk to each other, so we had to repeat ourselves sometimes. It was peculiar. The food was good, especially the burrata and arancini appetizers. The pasta (the petolle ragu and the ravioli) were a bit too oily but were very tasty. The rafele pizza is enormous and lacking in acidity. We would order it again if it had a balsamic vinegar reduction. They had a good wine list and the food was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Good but... Don't go at brunch.KevinHVIPDined on 10/12/2014Had brunch which was good (salmon eggs benefict) but I should have stuck with Italian. Again it was good but did not get the full Italian experience. $12 for a mimosa is insane!! Totally inssne!! Unfortunately my date had 2! Yikes!! Most places throw you a free one - not hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderf and fun eveningOttawalovesNYCDined on 10/11/2014We were so happy we had chosen Rafele's for dinner in NYC. The staff was accommodating and friendly. The atmosphere was fun and noisy. The ambiance was exactly what we were looking for. The food was magnificant and the service was excellent. There are so many restaurants in NYC but we will go back to Rafele's again. We loved it!Special Features:
- The BestGiovanniVIPDined on 10/4/2014Rafele is the one place we never say no to. We love the food, the setting, and, most of all, the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantjoroCfromTODined on 10/3/2014We were lucky to find this restaurant on our last visit to New York. The food was incredible. Probably one of the most delicious meals I have had in a very long time. The staff and service we received was top notch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningCaliDined on 10/2/2014Rafele was a perfect for a special occasion dinner in a great neighborhood. The open kitchen is entertaining, and the food outstanding. Our party of four immensely enjoyed everything we had - from the wine, to cheese platter, to the panzanella salad, to the gnocci, to the lamb special. The service was great, and we will definitely come back when visiting our daughter in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningGreatdiningDined on 10/2/2014Food and service were excellent. We were very happy with this choice except for the drilling across the streeth. My wife loved her zupa de pesca and I my pasta specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saniDined on 10/1/2014Perfect dinner, romantic, elegant. Amazing food. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian!Italian4RealDined on 9/27/2014We came during the day on the Greenwich Village Food Tour and sampled the Eggplant Rolatini, which prompted our decision to try to eat here for dinner. The place was booked up until 9 but we didn't care since we had just finished an eating extravaganza. We came early hoping to get seated and we did! Favorites of the night include gnocchi and ricotta cheesecake. Fabulous! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalSandramerleVIPDined on 9/27/2014exceptional food, outstanding maître d, this restaurant would not be the same without Pierro, he is so hospitable and clearly does an excellent job. Every time I have dinner here, I dream of returning for the phenomenal foodSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!DarlDined on 9/21/2014The food was very very good! Two of my friends had pizzas and they said they were fantastic. I had a salad and it was one of the best salad I had (even if it's just a salad!!). I recommend this restaurant for sure! The only thing we find strange is the «one bill» thing even...if we asked for a seperate bill, they said that the computer couldn't do it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real winner for relaxed meal.joburgDined on 9/21/2014Food was great but service was superb. Engaging, knowledgeable and super efficient. We sat outside and enjoyed street scene. Would just liked to have seen a few more serious Italian wines on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014After getting over the rude and disinterested hostess, things got better. My husband and I sat literally with another couple as this place packs them in. Had cocktails and a nice bottle of red wine. We told the server we wanted to take our time and after that he stopped coming by as often for our order! Calamari was excellent as was spinach ravioli. Rest was fine. Bread was slightly stale. Likely just re heated but should have been better. I would recommend and will return. Maybe better with a group given how crowded the tables are.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot-onJeffDined on 9/19/2014Excellent home-made pastas. Service is reliable. Prices are moderate. Definitely recommend Rafele for all dining experiences from a first date to a family dinner. Reservations advised on weekends, or else get there before 7:00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rick158Dined on 9/18/2014Chef's tasting menu was fantastic. Menu prices are extremely reasonable given the quality of the food. Definitely plan on going back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Food was delicious, nice presentation. Entrees are moderately priced. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good italianCamiDined on 9/11/2014We were welcome by a very nice girl. We had a lot of explanation from the italian woman, who was very nice. I recommand if you want to eat in a good italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian FoodrhswitzerlandDined on 9/6/2014Rafele is a very busy place. We were there on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was packed but the welcome was very friendly. We got a table downstaires. The Waiter (Eduardo) was extremly attentive and charming. The food was very nice and the pizza Rafele very delicious. If there is something that could be improved, then I would recommend to either extend the wine list or reduce the prices of certain super toscan wines... They are very pricy and some of them over charged... But overall I can recommend this place by full means.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian in West VillagenuthinfancyDined on 9/5/2014Originally, I dined at Rafele on the recommendation of a friend and was blown away by the entire affair. Excellent food, comfortable ambience, great service. Went back with my wife recently on a Friday night for a 10:00 dinner and was not disappointed. The restaurant itself was full and very noisy, so we opted for an outdoor table...probably not a great option either, since the noise level of traffic on 7th Ave, the subway, and pedestrians, all made it something of an overpowering barrage of sound. Still, the food and service were top notch. Go!Special Features:
- Every bite was worth eatingBunnyNYVIPDined on 9/5/2014My first time at Rafele - a great find. I recommend all the dishes we tried: Arancini- Crisp, not greasy, delicious Crostini con pate- A different presentation. The pate was in a separate dish, a light mousse w/honey in another. Baked flat bread on the side. The light/sweet mousse combined w/the pate cut any hint of "gaminess". Polpettine - The meatballs were so tender and complimented by a tasty light tomato sauce. Rughetta salad - Fresh. The combo of ingredients is unbeatable. Pettole Ragu - The tender lamb and the flat homemade pasta noodles were deliciously seasoned with rosemary and olives. It was too much food for 2 but every bite was delicious. Do yourself a favor and skip the bread basket to enjoy the great food.Special Features:
- BlahWehaDinerDined on 8/31/2014Have to admit, was pretty disappointed with the experience here. Staff herded us like cattle, dinner took a long time, wine was chilled in a fridge? Bizarre.
- Impeccable and friendlyArklausnerDined on 8/31/2014Rarely can you find high-quality food with equally impressive, personalized service. A top-notch experience from prosecco to tiramisu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find.snackcrackerDined on 8/30/2014Food was delicious. Had the spicy sausage and pappardelle special. Friends enjoyed the spinach ravioli and spaghetti dishes. The food was simple, yet very flavorful. Wines were a bit pricier than expected but good. Chocolate pudding dessert was much better than imagined. An enjoyable atmosphere and nice sidewalk cafe area, just a little noisy with trains running below.Special Features:
- Second TripRrubinVIPDined on 8/30/2014This must be an excellent restaurant as we returned to this restaurant after a short time
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Lovely Italian restaurant in a lively area. Good food ,service & value.Special Features:
- Good could be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Food was excellent, service was terrible. Had a drink when seated, watched the waiter walk by us over and over without asking if wanted another or needed anything. They finally brought us another at end of meal. Everyone was friendly, no one was rude, but being ignored did bother me.Special Features:
- Good italian foodcBiersDined on 8/28/2014We wanted to have italian food so we looked this place up. It's not too fancy/high class but the food is really good and the staff is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very goodBillrDined on 8/26/2014This place got great reviews but we did not think it lived up to the hype. We were not offered any specials although we heard them being offered to other tables. The wine was not topped up as often as we would have liked. The quality of the food was very average and very expensive. What I really object to is an automatic gratuity being added of over $50 and then asking for an additional gratuity on top of that. We were a table of three people, two people had pasta and no one had dessert our bill came to $350 This place is totally overpriced. America has a really bad tipping structure, a tip should be a reward for good food and good service. In America, you can offer poor food with poor service and still get rewarded - how stupid is that?Special Features:
- Very goodNYClover8282Dined on 8/25/2014First time went there . It was nice experience ! Meatball was awesome and pasta was delicious as well. Nice service ! My sister is vegan , she said Vegan food taste Soso . Nothing special . I loveeee my food though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LSalmansonVIPDined on 8/24/2014Food was just ok, nothing special, and had hair in my dish. Service was really slow (kind, but really really slow).
- Outstanding serviceVet270Dined on 8/23/2014The service was great and the food is excellent. The wait staff goes out of their way to be attentive. The bread and eggplant is different and tasty. Highly recommend the pasta dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minutemissmelodyDined on 8/22/2014We were lucky to get these last minute reservations and crossed our fingers hoping it would be a good experience and we loved it!Special Features:
- Good placeEdwinDined on 8/20/2014The food taste is very good, nice place, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MARCODined on 8/18/2014Davvero un bel ristorante, bellissimo locale e ottimo cibo, buon rapporto qualita' prezzo del ciboSpecial Features:
- mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2014The food was just okay, the service was pretty bad. 2 hours for a meal for two people on a monday night.
- Vegan and Gluten-freeTheaterloverVIPDined on 8/18/2014From the outside, Rafele does not look like much. However, looks can be deceiving. Their food is very fresh and tasty. Most importantly, they have a special menu for vegans and people with gluten-allergies. And when my husband and I decided to split a salad and an entree, they split the meals and brought us our portion on separate plates. You can eat outside, like we did, but the subway does run right underneath 7th Avenue so you will have some noise. They also let me send back a wine and replace it with another one. Good service and good food means we'll be back.Special Features: