29 Seventh Ave. South
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rafele.com/
- Phone: (212) 242-1999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch :Monday -Friday :12pm - 3:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 12pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raffaele Ronca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for catering options.
- Cross Street: Morton st,
- Public Transit: The nearest subway stations are:
West4 on 6th ave where A,C,E,D,B,F,M trains are available and Christopher st station where number 1 train is available.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is also a public lot, corner of Morton st and 7th ave south
A word from Rafele
We are committed to offering fresh ingredients coupled with the most authentic Italian foods and wine available.Continued
We work closely with our farmers, markets, vendors and purveyors to bring you the highest quality of rustic Italian recipes created with a New York influence.
We work closely with our farmers, markets, vendors and purveyors to bring you the highest quality of rustic Italian recipes created with a New York influence.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rafele reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (101)fit for foodies (93)good for groups (54)great for outdoor dining (53)special occasion (42)romantic (39)hot spot (29)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (18)kid-friendly (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)scenic view (3)Show More
- Friendly, Accomodating, Fun......great mealExcellentDined on 11/15/2014LOved this place. Great location in the Village. FRiendly, attentive staff. We had the fried pizza and the prosciotto and arugula pizza as appetizers. They were sensational. I ordered the carbonarra which was fanatastic. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid foodmikeVIPDined on 11/14/2014All-in-all, it's good, but not great Italian. We waited 15 minutes for our reservation to be filled (which I expect on a busy Friday night) and were treated to a complimentary glass of Prosecco. Good management! The starters we selected were truffle risotto balls and meatballs (yes, we were in a round mood). Both were great! Kind of a step back from here. They brought out the salad with the pasta course. What? This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Why would you bring two dishes at once? As for the dishes, the artichoke salad and fennel salad were very good and properly dressed with the right amount of oil to acid. The pasta dishes were so-so. The farro risotto had too much oil over it and the lamb ragu barely had any ragu. Perhaps we got an off night, but based on rhe amazing reviews this place gets, I felt let down a bit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love this restaurant, on every level. IEllisDined on 11/14/2014One of the great aspects of what is always a terrific restaurant is that the gluten free pasta is actually good. That's hard to find. That's far from the only thing we love about Raffele, but it's an unusual aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014Visited Rafele on Saturday night. Great looking restaurant and very vibrant. The food quality was good. I did find the quantities very scarce. and the service on the slow side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/6/2014I have been twice within two weeks because it is rare to find a truly authentic Italian restaurant outside of Italy. Everything is perfectly done and presented. Service is wonderful. It is so fantastic to be able to step off the NY streets and into Italy where you are treated to something extra on the house, which is a wonderfully truly Italian signature. The cheesecake is off the hook...forewarning! This will become my second home.Special Features:
- Memorable foodDallasVIPDined on 11/4/20148 lunches and dinners in 4 day visit to NY and this was our favorite. The fried pizza dough with prosciutto set the tone for a delectable dinner. And the attentiveness of management was the icing on the cake. I'd eat there weekly if I lived in NYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemVeetwoDined on 11/2/2014Simply brilliant, great food, great ambience and great service. What more can you ask for?Special Features:
- TonyVIPDined on 11/1/2014First time at Rafele. Will definitely make this a regular stop when in NYC.Special Features:
- Wonderful Pasta!paulineDined on 11/1/2014I love to eat and especially before running the NY Marathon. There were 4 of us and we needed our pasta fix; Rafeles was fabulous! Each of us tried one another's pasta and we were all thrilled. I had the gnochhi which was fabulous. We were still talking about how good the food was a few days later - would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatfoodDined on 11/1/2014Good was great, service was very good. The atmosphere was nice as it got busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliabkeNdi60VIPDined on 10/31/2014The place to go without overthinking it. Good quality food always made very reliably. Good wine list. Balanced price vs performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fooddschrickDined on 10/31/2014Every item we ordered was superb. The steak was cooked perfectly. The gnocchi was very tasty and melt in your mouth good. The lamb ragout was very good, even if it could have had a bit more lamb in it. The desserts were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good "local" to haveeoj2014Dined on 10/29/2014Nothing pretentious, casual, good food and outdoor space. Nice place to go to when you do not feel like cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best calamari and mireFoodieFiendDined on 10/26/2014The restaurant is chic. I expected more old time village appeal but it is very comfortable and updated. The calamari is very untypical with lite breeding. The best I've had. The fish stew comes out in a big bowl with a thin baked bread dome encasing it. Steam pours out when cut open. Absolutely delicious with clams, mussels, fish, octopus and prawns. This is a great restaurant all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findAnthonyDined on 10/25/2014Great place, atmosphere, food, service .....great find. Worth doing your research to find places like thisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch service.WidePalateDined on 10/24/2014Let us try 3 different wines before buying the bottle. And gave us a discounted price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like being in Umbria.ReynohDined on 10/23/2014This is authentic, rustic Italian, run by a very affable staff with excellent service. The host and servers treat us like honored guests every time we walk through the door, bending over backwards to meet our requests, even when they're jam packed. The flowers on display in the open kitchen, along with the glow of the wood burning oven, create a warm, romantic atmosphere. The selection of fresh, seasonal ingredients in dishes that are executed to perfection makes me feel like I'm sitting in the middle of a family run farmhouse restaurant: Fresh, handmade pastas, crispy thin crust pizzas, whole roasted fish, perfectly seasoned, juicy steaks, roasted chicken and octopus, salads and lots of vegetable sides. I'm thrilled I found this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great italianLee2italianDined on 10/18/2014Rafele is a great italian reataurant , went on a Saturday night and has a great atmosphere ! The food quality is sublime and the meat balls were superb ! Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat outsideDisappointed2014VIPDined on 10/17/2014Loved eggplant starter that comes with the bread. Very loud outside hearing subway go by.Special Features:
- NiceJohnVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great food and service for Thursday night around 8 PM. It was a bit hectic inside, with the open kitchen and almost full house, so we ate outside, was a great experience. Certainly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Italian in the VillageRLCinVAVIPDined on 10/15/2014We came here after sampling an appetizer on the Greenwich Village Food Tour. We absolutely loved it. Every bite of everything was spectacular. Eat here, you won't regret it. Italian is our favorite, so we are not easily impressed, but Rafele managed to impress us greatly. We'll be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite New York RestaurantTomboDined on 10/13/2014My wife and I love coming to New York to enjoy all that this wonderful city has to offer including our favorite Italian restaurant Rafele. We found Rafele's through the "Greenwich Village Food and Culture Tour" last year. As part of our honeymoon in 2013, we traveled to Italy after our stay in New York. Though the food was good in Italy, we felt that the food at Rafele's was even better. We just wish this restaurant was in San Francisco!Special Features:
- Good food and acommodating staffLenoreDined on 10/12/2014We showed up 30 minutes early for our dinner reservation but were seated right away with a smile. The host was friendly and helpful. We asked if he could turn the music down a bit, since we were sitting under the speaker, and he did so right away, again with a smile. However, we had many different waiters, and they did not seem to talk to each other, so we had to repeat ourselves sometimes. It was peculiar. The food was good, especially the burrata and arancini appetizers. The pasta (the petolle ragu and the ravioli) were a bit too oily but were very tasty. The rafele pizza is enormous and lacking in acidity. We would order it again if it had a balsamic vinegar reduction. They had a good wine list and the food was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Good but... Don't go at brunch.KevinHVIPDined on 10/12/2014Had brunch which was good (salmon eggs benefict) but I should have stuck with Italian. Again it was good but did not get the full Italian experience. $12 for a mimosa is insane!! Totally inssne!! Unfortunately my date had 2! Yikes!! Most places throw you a free one - not hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderf and fun eveningOttawalovesNYCDined on 10/11/2014We were so happy we had chosen Rafele's for dinner in NYC. The staff was accommodating and friendly. The atmosphere was fun and noisy. The ambiance was exactly what we were looking for. The food was magnificant and the service was excellent. There are so many restaurants in NYC but we will go back to Rafele's again. We loved it!Special Features:
- The BestGiovanniVIPDined on 10/4/2014Rafele is the one place we never say no to. We love the food, the setting, and, most of all, the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantjoroCfromTODined on 10/3/2014We were lucky to find this restaurant on our last visit to New York. The food was incredible. Probably one of the most delicious meals I have had in a very long time. The staff and service we received was top notch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningCaliDined on 10/2/2014Rafele was a perfect for a special occasion dinner in a great neighborhood. The open kitchen is entertaining, and the food outstanding. Our party of four immensely enjoyed everything we had - from the wine, to cheese platter, to the panzanella salad, to the gnocci, to the lamb special. The service was great, and we will definitely come back when visiting our daughter in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningGreatdiningDined on 10/2/2014Food and service were excellent. We were very happy with this choice except for the drilling across the streeth. My wife loved her zupa de pesca and I my pasta specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saniDined on 10/1/2014Perfect dinner, romantic, elegant. Amazing food. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large group, great service and foodLisaDined on 9/29/2014I went with a group of ten or more and the restaurant rose to the occasion. Very friendly, good service, delicious food. Very relaxed and fun.Special Features:
- Great Italian!Italian4RealDined on 9/27/2014We came during the day on the Greenwich Village Food Tour and sampled the Eggplant Rolatini, which prompted our decision to try to eat here for dinner. The place was booked up until 9 but we didn't care since we had just finished an eating extravaganza. We came early hoping to get seated and we did! Favorites of the night include gnocchi and ricotta cheesecake. Fabulous! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalSandramerleVIPDined on 9/27/2014exceptional food, outstanding maître d, this restaurant would not be the same without Pierro, he is so hospitable and clearly does an excellent job. Every time I have dinner here, I dream of returning for the phenomenal foodSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!DarlDined on 9/21/2014The food was very very good! Two of my friends had pizzas and they said they were fantastic. I had a salad and it was one of the best salad I had (even if it's just a salad!!). I recommend this restaurant for sure! The only thing we find strange is the «one bill» thing even...if we asked for a seperate bill, they said that the computer couldn't do it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real winner for relaxed meal.joburgDined on 9/21/2014Food was great but service was superb. Engaging, knowledgeable and super efficient. We sat outside and enjoyed street scene. Would just liked to have seen a few more serious Italian wines on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014After getting over the rude and disinterested hostess, things got better. My husband and I sat literally with another couple as this place packs them in. Had cocktails and a nice bottle of red wine. We told the server we wanted to take our time and after that he stopped coming by as often for our order! Calamari was excellent as was spinach ravioli. Rest was fine. Bread was slightly stale. Likely just re heated but should have been better. I would recommend and will return. Maybe better with a group given how crowded the tables are.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot-onJeffDined on 9/19/2014Excellent home-made pastas. Service is reliable. Prices are moderate. Definitely recommend Rafele for all dining experiences from a first date to a family dinner. Reservations advised on weekends, or else get there before 7:00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rick158Dined on 9/18/2014Chef's tasting menu was fantastic. Menu prices are extremely reasonable given the quality of the food. Definitely plan on going back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Food was delicious, nice presentation. Entrees are moderately priced. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good italianCamiDined on 9/11/2014We were welcome by a very nice girl. We had a lot of explanation from the italian woman, who was very nice. I recommand if you want to eat in a good italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.